PDA

View Full Version : Black & White 2

Obsidian X
10-10-05, 21:50
Anyone else got it yet? Bought it today, and I have to say, it rocks. Though they releaseda 100MB patch for it that corrects a few bugs but invalidates your old savegames, so be warned O_o

Anyway, B&W2 ftw! :D

Hell-demon
10-10-05, 22:02
I hear it sucks!

nobby
10-10-05, 22:31
lol...

vashtyphoon78
10-10-05, 23:57
i hear its supposed to be pretty good. i might try to find a demo or something (cause it looked uber @ E3)

Melkior
11-10-05, 10:07
Its damn good, very buggy tho, be warned, if you have a soundblaster audigy, you WILL have problems, and will need to DL a new beta driver.

The city building is great, interface is really easy to use, some of the gameplay is a bit...hmm, you'll find out for yourself if you play it.

If you like the first one then chances are you'll like this, although it misses some of the cool features of the first, there are a lot of enhancments

darkservent
15-10-05, 00:39
Cant wait to get it wanna get the collectors edition.

Tratos
15-10-05, 11:36
I was aware that the first one existed... what is it?

CMaster
15-10-05, 16:01
It was the latest brainchild of game-god Peter Molyneux (Populous, Theme Park, Syndicate, Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper - The man is up there and even above Sid Meier, John Romero, Warren Spector, Will Wright). You were cast as a god trying to inspire belief over a world of people who needed impressing. It featured and astonishing graphics engine, fascinatingly modeled people in terms of behaviour patterns and an array of varied in-game mini-games. It also had its USP - the creature. From early in the game, you have a 'creature' - it grows up and is yours to model. You can train it to be good or evil, to cast miracles and to fight. You can train what it likes to eat, how it behaves and even where it shits. And fascinatingly, depening n how good or evil you were, and how good or evil your creature was, the world twists in your image, and the creature twists in its own image.

For the first 10 hours of gameplay or so, everyone was so impressed they didn't realise how horribly flawed the game was. While your people had nteresting personalities, they were also incredibly irritating - most notably the cries of "we need food" when the village store was overflowing with food and "we need offspring" to which all you can say is "have sex then, you idiots". Also, depsite the selection of things to do, by far the majority of the game was spent trying to impress new villages to worship you. Perhaps the greatest flaw howeever was its greatest strength. The most fascinating thing about the game was your creatures. Its AI and charm was fantastic, but there was one major problem - the micromangement and other parts of the game mean that you never got to spend ANY time with your creature.

As for B&W2, I don't know what its like, but after the phenomnal amount of hype and dissapointment about the first one, theres a lot to make up for.

Opar
15-10-05, 20:52
okay, I've had Black and White 2 since Wednesday now, and I can safely say, it easily surpasses the first one.

Admittedly, its not perfect, I lost 4 hours of playing when my save game got corrupt, but I started again, and now im fighting the Japanese, with their stupidly large armies.

Everything about the game is greater than the first, sure, the RTS side of it is entry level (3 different types of units, click on them, click on move/enemy.) but it also means you don't really have to spend time upgrading their weapons and whatever else.

Your creature plays a bigger part, too. Whereas in the first B&W, it was hard to find time to tend to your creature because of the crappy micro-management of your towns, your creature now helps a lot more in day-to-day life in the towns/cities. There are now 5 leashes (Builder, Gatherer, Entertainer, Soldier, Free Role) as oppose to the first game which had 3 (Compassion, Aggression, Learning). And the new leeshes do exactly what they say on the tin, which makes it much simpler. It's also a lot less of a chore to have your creature learn miracles now, you can just buy them using your 'Tribute' (God currency) and they know them 100%, instantly. Tis very sexy :)

Can't be bothered talkign about the rest of the game, just go and buy it for yourself. But be warned, alot of peopel have a had a lot of problems when trying to install/playy it, hudnreds of people on the Lionhead boards have been comaplinign about the now infamous splash-screen startup bug, which throws you oyut after the splash screens, but sdon't be deterred, give it a shot, if the game works, im sure you'll love yourself for buying it.

yavimaya
17-10-05, 13:32
I was aware that the first one existed... what is it?
your from england? with english like that?

LTA
22-10-05, 03:01
your from england? with english like that?

England.

Heard it wasn't todissimiliar from the first only that it had ironed out a few of the bugs and then took away some good features and that they fucked it on release.
Looked good had a lot of hopes for it as in the first one i got tired of training my creature to be nice to people only to watch him after 10 hours munch some poor little sprog and then his family and then proceed to hurl a 100 ton boulder through my town.
Made me megablast the fecker a few times :p