PDA

View Full Version : An idea, a vision

Crest
07-10-05, 14:58
Ok so I was thinking, what would ensure that Neocron would have a long life and be more competitive than its current competition ....

The concept came to me ... Open Source .....
I remember playing a few FPS like Heretic and Decent back in 1995 or so. One of the cool things about these games were the game editors, create your own levels and stuff .... Sure they ran independant of a central server and you ran your own engine....

What if KK created a 1 person engine, and a game editor .... and made it available as open source development .... with relevant copyrights of course.

Community could create and test new caves, and so on .... Present thee back to KK who would review....adjust .... and integrate them if they were worth while .....

This would allow KK to focus on other content like new mobs and new weapons. It will ensure everyone could do a bit, and it would like being employing hundreds of designers .... but for free ....

Hmm i just had a thought ...

giga191
07-10-05, 15:23
KK's publisher wouldnt do it but i like the idea

Bugs Gunny
07-10-05, 15:29
Imagine the amount of hackprograms it would create.....

vashtyphoon78
07-10-05, 15:50

...yup...

CMaster
07-10-05, 15:59
On the other hand, releasing just a map editor or the NPC Scripting language would be cool. Of course, it would lead to "omg why wasnt my uber map/mission implemented111!"

Tikuto
07-10-05, 20:30
On the other hand, releasing just a map editor or the NPC Scripting language would be cool. Of course, it would lead to "omg why wasnt my uber map/mission implemented111!"
Cmaster fer teh weeen! :eek:

Original monk
07-10-05, 20:36

correct, but the point of it is that if everyone works togheter on the game .. all bugs (no not you bugs, ingame bugs and flaws) get squeezed right away when they appear :) so people that wonna abuse the system dont get a chance ...

i think its a good idea yeah but then its all or nothing ffcourse ...

tough a mapeditor wouldnt hurt anyone i think :P when a map editor for neocron came out i would go crazy LOL, count me in as a mapper :)

Heavyporker
07-10-05, 21:27
I want a mapeditor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aKe`cj
07-10-05, 21:56
I want a mapeditor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go get yourself some worldcraft/hammer and start mappin' ... :)

FarSight
08-10-05, 11:28
Yea it would be cool but .....
even if you make map in mapeditor you need to launch engine to test it, look at it etc ... and KK will never give us way to launch engine with custom maps on our comps ... (afaik sm1 did that long time ago @ nc1 with plaza-1 map not custom). its too close to launching own server .......
Only one workaround i can think of is:
- kk makes contest for map-idea or mission-idea
- winner and mayby some runner up's gets mapeditor/npc script tool
- then kk gives them their testserver ip and ftp to put maps (files) then link their maps instead lets say neofrag zones on testserver so they can test their job instantly (make some changes to files -> send it by ftp -> launch game -> connect to test server -> go to neofrag -> enter own zone ....