PDA

View Full Version : Server Merge

Cyphor
03-10-05, 20:34
Due to work i dont get to play NC alot but and coming back now to see the server pops is quite depressing, whats worse is seeing the few players left spread over 4 equally deserted servers!

Why not move for a two server system? A pvp server and a normal 4 slot server, both being international and hopefully then both servers should be able to achieve 200 people at peak times!
Atm it seem stupid to be running servers with pops as low as a some fps (with the others not too far behind). Looking back at when i started playing, people were waiting for an influx of people as servers were at 400-500 at peak time, now we dont even get that in total.
When the servers were busy it was fun, you could easily find teams or go to an op war or pvp in pp. Now the cities resemble the wastelands and when i log in i struggle to think of something to do.

I might be alone in my opinion, but why not boost the player experience by giving those few players left a mmo experience.

:angel:

-FN-
03-10-05, 20:43
Excellent Idea. Not new, but excellent nonetheless. But it'll never happen - I don't think KK has the manpower to move all those accounts around like that :(

RogerRamjet
03-10-05, 20:55
If KK want to do server merge, youve gotta remember the amount of stuff people would lose.

Atm, i have 4 capped chars on terra, all MC5ed and rared up. I have the same on mercury, and 1 char on mars. If KK want to merge server i want ALL my items.

Youve gotta remember therell be lots of people in similar situations (i think).

Tratos
03-10-05, 20:58
RogerRamjet outlines the biggest if not the only problem with a server merge.

If something could be done, id love them to merge the servers but i hate game which let you have (seemingly) as many chars as you like on one server, takes the multiplayer part of it away really.

Cyphor
03-10-05, 21:22
Not sure about the logistics of it so not sure about man power for kk, but in the long run would it not cost them less only having to run two servers over four?

As for the problem of multiple chars im not sure what could be done, i was looking at why it could help not how it could be implemented :\

For the transfer though didn't pandore players get to keep everything? Just leaves the prob of people who have more than four chars, not sure if they could be transferred to a second accound, but then that costs the players more money so not sure.
As i was saying my idea was more a solution to the problem of having little to do on the servers anymore as they are deserted. In the end whats the point of having all this stuff in a multiplayer game if there isn't anyone to play with. Perhaps slightly over dramatising the situation but even terra is in single figures a lot these days so i just dont find it very mmo.

-FN-
03-10-05, 21:25
If something could be done, id love them to merge the servers but i hate game which let you have (seemingly) as many chars as you like on one server, takes the multiplayer part of it away really.
Agreed - I really miss the Pluto 1-Slot atmosphere where everyone's name meant something. I hated being forced to choose to go to Terra's 4-Slotty Crapness or Mars's German-Based "I won't understand anything" Community :(

Regarding Pandore, I believe they only got thier Armor, Implants, Quickbelt, Inventory, and GoGo. Apartments and Vehicles were not carried over.

Bishop Yutani
03-10-05, 21:26
i'm all for it. I'm kinda pissed that it takes me a few hours of asking around to get a TL40 pistol made and a increase in pop would definately help my chances of getting tradeskillers around.

Tratos
03-10-05, 21:29
Regarding Pandore, I believe they only got thier Armor, Implants, Quickbelt, Inventory, and GoGo. Apartments and Vehicles were not carried over.

If they took the keys they could re-register them, appartments would have been empty again though.

Mill Gates
03-10-05, 21:48
This is a idea that really needs to go into effect. Something needs to be done about the low server populations!

zii
03-10-05, 22:02
If KK want to do server merge, youve gotta remember the amount of stuff people would lose.

Atm, i have 4 capped chars on terra, all MC5ed and rared up. I have the same on mercury, and 1 char on mars. If KK want to merge server i want ALL my items.

You're right, but I would welcome such a move.

giga191
03-10-05, 23:20

Youve gotta remember therell be lots of people in similar situations (i think). you only need enough equipment to use the chars you have

IceStorm
03-10-05, 23:39
you only need enough equipment to use the chars you haveWhich for a researcher/constructor means cabinets of BPs and items to BP from...

Tratos
03-10-05, 23:47
Which for a researcher/constructor means cabinets of BPs and items to BP from...

Exactly and im sure people would be pissed from the loss of their characters no soley from the items but the investment of time.

Tarn
03-10-05, 23:52
Merge ftw.

RogerRamjet
04-10-05, 00:26
you only need enough equipment to use the chars you have

Can i just ask if you happen to have 5 other capped characters on other servers?

I dont want to lose god knows how much time ive spent lvling and hunting.

EDIT: Didnt see Tratos' post, its all about time.

jini
04-10-05, 07:13

You've got nothing to worry about Roger, we now have item tracking !!!111 ^^

-Chess -
04-10-05, 09:05
MERGE ALL SERVERS !

thanks.

RogerRamjet
04-10-05, 09:22
You've got nothing to worry about Roger, we now have item tracking !!!111 ^^

Hmm, judging by some of the responses me and my friends have got some KK, no, we dont have item tracking.

Bugs Gunny
04-10-05, 09:55
KK's vision is completely based on wishful thinking, a lot of broken promises and constantly changing direction with the game.
A company like that is a crisismanager's wet dream.

Xeno LARD
04-10-05, 10:08
I think it's too late to merge servers now. Way too many people would be pissed about loosing items and characters.
KK should've made a 1 slot international and a 4 slot international from the start. Would've been enough with a lot better population.

john irons
04-10-05, 12:43
right click>select all>right click>copy>right click>paste>

overwrite such and such a file>no

hey dude you got the same name as someone else on the pvp server you chose to be moved to, please give us a relacement for it.

job done

sultana
04-10-05, 12:46

hey dude you got the same name as someone else on the pvp server you chose to be moved to, please give us a relacement for it.

job done
And for those that have multiple characters across each server... 9 character server, no thanks.

Selendor
04-10-05, 14:47
KK won't merge the servers, it would be an admission of defeat, that they will never be able to fill their existing ones.

They need to change the game to encourage more players back on all servers. Thats the challenge for them. Will some new grass and trees be enough to do that? I think not.

DaxAra
04-10-05, 14:47

job done
if the life of a GameServer would only be that simple.
your thinking way to localhost and way to Windows about it.

[TgR]KILLER
04-10-05, 14:49
i really don't know to laugh or cry.. why o why do people make these threads every 2 weeks for the past 2 years while its been said billions of times it won't happen. :rolleyes:

Njall
04-10-05, 14:58
They need to change the game to encourage more players back on all servers. Thats the challenge for them. Will some new grass and trees be enough to do that? I think not.
You forgot the creation of Neptune. A PvP server in a PvP game will surely encourage more players :)

Cyphor
04-10-05, 17:08
KILLER']i really don't know to laugh or cry.. why o why do people make these threads every 2 weeks for the past 2 years while its been said billions of times it won't happen. :rolleyes:

Because the player pops are continuously dropping to the stages its hard to find fun in it anymore, a mmorpg needs a large population to sustain a certain style of play. People shouldn't have to spend hours searching for teams etc in a game world, there should be people about, it should feel populated. With the current server pops its like playing a single player game half the time. Sorry if im being overly pesimistic but mabey i just wish the game was what it once was.

Kierz
04-10-05, 19:21
4 Servers:
1 slot int server
4 slot int server
pvp (no timesink :P) server
public test server

Also as someone meantioned, all of pandore players kept everything but their furnished apts (they could keep the keys and reactivate tho afaik, but they lost the stuff inside).

giga191
04-10-05, 19:26
Can i just ask if you happen to have 5 other capped characters on other servers?

I dont want to lose god knows how much time ive spent lvling and hunting.

EDIT: Didnt see Tratos' post, its all about time. ive got 4 capped chars that i would lose but i dont care

zii
04-10-05, 19:33
just let me keep my items and all is well, plus let us tranfer the chars to the remaining servers of choice, then have

N servers, all 1 slot only. One could be the pvp server people?
1 slots are the best.

Bishop Yutani
04-10-05, 19:43
I don't get one slot servers. Whats the point?

To me, i'd rather have people playing the game on the server that i'm on. That means, i dont give a foo if you have 40 slots, as long as you're playing on the same server.

-FN-
04-10-05, 20:45
One word: Atmosphere

Relating to NC1, if you played on Pluto - you knew who Carinth, MeGaMaN, KramerTheWeird, Trillian, Shadow Dancer, Polarity, Bullfraged, FN, Rento Webex, SHINJIN, Nvidia, Delloda, Lore, Paradox, Russian, Cracky, Alex, Dajuda, Rade, CryptoChronic, Tupac, Freaky Fryd, Psycho Killa, OHGODWYME, FreeeJumper, S.A.W., Smokey, w00pin, Elky Baby, Uho, Kidwithstick, Vampire222, G.0.D, Pete the PSI, Zai, Kurai, Muumi, Sweet Leaf, Centuri, .cyl0n...

Just to name a few :) Sorry to those I didn't mention - I barely remember what I had for breakfast today it's already so far back. If you had one slot - THAT character, was your persona. If you were in-game, you were most likely on THAT character with THAT name, making a reputation for yourself. Most everyone knew who you were and by what name... what class you were, what faction, etc. One Slot = One Personality. Many people had "alts" but they were usually behind-the-scene alts that got the tradeskill work done. For this reason I'd even be ok with a 2-slot server (that wasn't Neptune :p).

On a 4-slot server, you gain the advantage of hopefully being bored less because you have more characters to play/level/try out - but unless you have a matching naming scheme between all of your characters, people most likely won't know you as being _______ the great _______ that almost always uses their favorit weapon, _________. You're just ________'s PE/Spy/Monk/Tank alt. You gain anonymity to act like a complete fuck-up and then delete the character because they mean nothing to you. I'm sure there were 'famous' people on Saturn as well, but it's just different to be famous for alternate personalities than a singular entity - as if you were really indulding in the "RP" portion of the MMO-RP-G.

On a one-slot server, typically your name and reputation mean a hell of a lot more than on a multi-slot server. I had suggested a way to retain the 1-Slot atmosphere on a 4-Slot server (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=97500), but it never went anywhere :( Now we're stuck with Neptune's LE'd PvP-Fest (or lackthereof) or Terra's "Hi, you might know me when I was called Saturn" Atmoshere.

eprodigy
04-10-05, 20:57
^^ agree 100% w/ FN.

1 slot server is the best. i wish i had played on pluto more.

and i really like that last name idea.

RogerRamjet
04-10-05, 21:00
The atmosphere was lost when this game became NC2...

@Giga. You might not care about 4 capped character, but im sure alot of people
will.

optiplex
04-10-05, 21:05
If we did that it would also increase NC's funds, i mean in NC1 on pluto numerous people bought second and third even 4th accounts for a tradeskiller AND another combat type character.

zii
04-10-05, 21:18
F-N's suggestion about using surnames is very good.

One of the reasons I built tradeskill chars on the multi-slot servers is because I never knew who was who, and thus could never rely on personA being the person I thought s/he was, and thus would expect to be scammed. However, to date I have never been scammed on a trade/rep/cst etc, touch wood.

Single slot servers ensured atmosphere, and helped enforce good RP.

Njall
04-10-05, 21:44
Single slot servers ensured atmosphere, and helped enforce good RP.
Good RP ?
Let's be honnest, RP will never be developed in a MMOG.
KK tried to make a RP server with Venus and Pandore. Pandore had 5% and Neptune which is a "no RP" server is now at 16%.
The numbers are there : there are too few people interested in RP and KK Know it.

optiplex
04-10-05, 21:51
Thats true, Not many people RP and if they do its always the Non-RPers that mess them up, all we really do is OP war and PK. The reason i play is to OP war, good fights are always fun.

Bishop Yutani
04-10-05, 21:59
-FN- i see your point and its a good one - i like having atmosphere and like to RP, but your rationale is only to FORCE everyone to have one character that they accept for it's faults and RP it to their advantage.

You might be leading on to a bigger problem and that is that there are less tradeskillers online because everyone has their 2nd 3rd and 4th slots as their own personal tradeskillers that they log in just to work for their 1st slot character, which results in the people who DONT have those mules never getting service.

(like me)
I spent an hour 2 weeks ago standing in front of medicare in the plaza asking for someone to CST me a TL 30 pistol with BP, Parts, Lube and 5k tip and i got people pranking me.

honour
11-10-05, 01:01
SAVE NEOCRON !

Bring on the one central server 2 slots.

pop boomage

zii
11-10-05, 02:39
Good RP ?
Let's be honnest, RP will never be developed in a MMOG.
KK tried to make a RP server with Venus and Pandore. Pandore had 5% and Neptune which is a "no RP" server is now at 16%.
The numbers are there : there are too few people interested in RP and KK Know it.

I disagree. I think people did not go to Venus because the population were mostly French speaking. I spoke to many people on Terra when Neptune was Pandore, and a majority never even knew there was a French server, and I wonder if those that had heard of it might have presumed that since it was managed by another company, then they couldn't access it.

Asurmen Spec Op
11-10-05, 02:47
if you people think that merging will help the game, youll be the 10people left playing

nostramo
11-10-05, 03:00
Most people on Mars have two or more accounts, so everything that gives them just one more slot would cause massive accountloss.

This and only this is it what embarrasses KK to merge the servers.

The loss of virtual items and characters would be absolutely irrelevant if it's economically advantageous.

Asurmen Spec Op
11-10-05, 03:12
Most people on Mars have two or more accounts, so everything that gives them just one more slot would cause massive accountloss.

This and only this is it what embarrasses KK to merge the servers.

The loss of virtual items and characters would be absolutely irrelevant if it's economically advantageous.
Your not mentioning the fact that not everyone lives on only 1 server

QuakCow
11-10-05, 03:24
i think i would be fine if it had started with a 2 (or even 1) slot server, but now that i have all 4 of my chars itd be a bitch to decide on only 2 (or 1)

RogerRamjet
11-10-05, 10:31
How about remake Uranus, Saturn, Pluto, Jupiter and Venus, and allow people to return to their respective servers :D

Dade Murphey
11-10-05, 19:11
I'm all for merging the servers...something needs to be done...the pops are sadly low by mmo standards...and in reality there's a really simple way to deal with people having more than 4 characters they'd like to keep...use the, I think it is, final fantasy method and if people want to have more than the set character limit on their acct make them pay $1 more / character...so for the dude that had 9 characters that are all must-haves he'd have to pay in the area of 18$/mo...and if you have multiple accounts you'd actually come out ahead, assuming they let you tie all your characters to a single acct...

Xeno LARD
11-10-05, 21:44
How about remake Uranus, Saturn, Pluto, Jupiter and Venus, and allow people to return to their respective servers :D
I miss uranus and all those bad jokes about the server name. :)

Asurmen Spec Op
11-10-05, 21:52
The atmosphere was lost when this game became NC2...

Then Stop whining and do something you whiney git.

Honestly Im fucking sick of the whining "NC1 had better atmosphere and people"

The atmosphere is how you treat, do something a-fucking-bout it.

Trillian
12-10-05, 03:55

Amen. Would reactivate my other 3 accounts again if only they could be played on pluto.

Demental
12-10-05, 09:15
Server populations are crap tonight like 2% on neptune =/ No one to PvP on the PvP server. Just a few LE'd people chatting