PDA

View Full Version : "Star Wreck - In the Pirkinning" released!

Argent
30-09-05, 23:30
Star Wreck - In the Pirkinning

Yes, it's finally out, finally released on the net. "The first Finnish full-length scifi parody is made from astounding special effects, action and loads of dark humour.", as they say. A great Star Trek parody film (has some B5-leetness this time as well), includes some pretty cool CGI and great jokes. Older episodes/films are also available, but don't ask where since the site is half-down currently. If you like it, order the DVD to support them. Hell, order it just for fun. :)

The site : http://www-fi.starwreck.com/

I recommend the largest file (~554MB, it is 103minutes after all) and the torrent, the direct downloads will propably be pretty slow :
Download page : http://www-fi.starwreck.com/download.php
If you require a torrent-client, my recommendation is Azureus (which requires java).

IMDB entry : http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0472566/

naimex
01-10-05, 02:08
Finnish speech?

or does it exist with english speech?

atm im downloading high quality from direct, with english subtitles.

Argent
01-10-05, 11:09
"Pirkin oveluus iskee jälleen!"

Nope, only Finnish speech unfortunately. Or fortunately propably, you wouldn't wanna hear ~all of them speaking like Mika Häkkinen.

naimex
01-10-05, 13:28
"Pirkin oveluus iskee jälleen!"

Nope, only Finnish speech unfortunately. Or fortunately propably, you wouldn't wanna hear ~all of them speaking like Mika Häkkinen.

Michael Hakkinen?

The formula 1 driver, or some unknown person?

Skusty
01-10-05, 13:31
Woo Finland rulez! :D

Argent
01-10-05, 22:42
Michael Hakkinen?

The formula 1 driver, or some unknown person?

Michael Häkkinen? I should be offended ;)

/. strikes Star Wreck http://slashdot.org/articles/05/10/01/1551217.shtml?tid=97&tid=133

Argent
06-10-05, 20:48
So did anyone even download it, how'd you like it? Come on, tell us!

naimex
06-10-05, 21:25
So did anyone even download it, how'd you like it? Come on, tell us!

I downloaded it, and tried to watch it...

It´s not that bad, well the part I saw of it anyways.

Fell asleep cuz I couldn´t understand a word.

It annoyed me a lot that I had to read it all, cuz Finnish makes no sense to me at all.

retr0n
06-10-05, 22:04
It annoyed me a lot that I had to read it all, cuz Finnish makes no sense to me at all.

Finnish is for gimps.

I have downloaded it but not seen it yet, will soon though.

Argent
07-10-05, 22:56
Fell asleep cuz I couldn´t understand a word.

O_o

You don't watch much other than hollywood production movies, do you? I really think you should get used to subtitles, what's so bad about them anyway?

naimex
08-10-05, 17:35
O_o

You don't watch much other than hollywood production movies, do you? I really think you should get used to subtitles, what's so bad about them anyway?

English isn´t a problem for me, so there I don´t need subtitles.

Don´t really watch german movies, but I like to have subtitles as reference for the words I don´t understand there.

And danish movies, well ofcourse I can understand those...

So I only use subtitles as references for 1-2 words per line TOPS that I don´t understand, so having an entire movie in an incomprehensible language just doesn´t make this movie "worth seeing" for me.

If I understood just half of it, without having to read it all, instead of keeping an eye on what goes on on the screen, it would be good.

But this... if I learn to understand just one sentence of what he says, and remembers it, I would feel like the first caveman to create fire...

It makes no sense in any way.

Argent
09-10-05, 12:53
I really recommend that you get used to reading all dialog from subtitles. I mean there are so many brilliant Japanese, Korean, French, Chinese, etc movies out, that you're missing a whole lot if you are unable to watch them.

I can understand how it can be hard for someone. For example I've watched all my life stuff with subtitles so they're definetly my choice of translation. Though I find subtitles a bit distracting on english material, since I can already understand the language so well that I'd rather watch it without subs. On the other hand I consider dubbing a buttrape of the movie (ie, I would go mad if I had to watch english series/movies from German TV...).

Scanner Darkly
09-10-05, 17:24
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: Wow what a crazy movie. I'm still in shock after seeing it.

retr0n
09-10-05, 17:47
Not to mention that the subtitles never capture the entire conversation that
goes on, sometimes entire senteces are not translated. Another thing is that
the translation is often wrong, and not because of language barriers, but because
the translator did a shitty job.

naimex
09-10-05, 17:50
subtitles are bad..

everything should be made with english language..

*I'll shut up now, or I'll get into a political aspect of worldwide communication*

Argent
09-10-05, 21:27
Not to mention that the subtitles never capture the entire conversation that goes on, sometimes entire senteces are not translated. Another thing is that the translation is often wrong, and not because of language barriers, but because the translator did a shitty job.

True, definetly true (though never is pretty strong word, let's say "sometimes"). But it's still better than no movie at all. Good example is that I saw warez G.O.R.A. (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0384116/) (another excellent scifi parody btw, Turkish) some time ago with "fansubs", and then just yesterday from DVD with the real subs. The difference was insane, the real subs were so much better, even though the fansubs weren't too bad either.

PS. Don't press enter to cut lines, let the software do the wordwrap.
-----

Darkly, once you have recovered from the shock, give us your (longer) opinion about the movie. :]

Xian
10-10-05, 14:30
subtitles are bad..

everything should be made with english language..

Or, people could be glad that they bothered to make subtitles in the first place.

If you don't like reading them, don't bother watching the movie. Or learn the language, your choice.

Special effects are incredible for an unfunded project!

Spatenkampf
13-10-05, 17:13
[ edited ]

Scanner Darkly
17-10-05, 05:49
I still have no idea how they managed to do all that on an indy film. The special effects looked as good as if not better than the series they were parodying.

Argent
17-10-05, 11:28
I still have no idea how they managed to do all that on an indy film. The special effects looked as good as if not better than the series they were parodying.

Time, dedication and hard work + some 3D-modeling skills, the FAQ is worth reading if you didn't read it yet.

This is their "renderfarm" :-p http://www-fi2.starwreck.com/images/faq_renderfarm.jpg

Scanner Darkly
21-10-05, 16:07
Hehe, how cute.

I have some reservations with some of the "jokes" and acting but the CGI was put together really well.

Skusty
21-10-05, 17:06
I can clearly se that its a picture ( lol ) :lol: hmm i see a fujtustu...my old computer is a fujutsu, as for lucky, it was so old that its windows was not locked to the mainboard :eek: So im using its Windows on the new motherboard :D

Spatenkampf
22-10-05, 09:33
hm when i looked Babylon 5 before (that was for good 7 years) i dont imagine that Shery talked to much every the same shit. but after Starwreck they show me how it realy looks :D

"Enogh of your Speches, BASTARD!" :lol:

awkward silence
31-10-05, 08:17
Not to mention that the subtitles never capture the entire conversation that
goes on, sometimes entire senteces are not translated. Another thing is that
the translation is often wrong, and not because of language barriers, but because
the translator did a shitty job.

Infact dubbing is more prone to mistakes. Usually subs are more accurate than dubs and they dont have lip synch problems. Just learn to read :D

retr0n
31-10-05, 11:44
Infact dubbing is more prone to mistakes. Usually subs are more accurate than dubs and they dont have lip synch problems. Just learn to read :D

I never said that dubs were better, I have never in my life seen an entire movie
that's dubbed, because I can't stand it. I also dont like to read subs, mainly
because of the reasons I wrote, but also because it takes focus away from the
movie itself.

Bullt
31-10-05, 16:30
Anyways, you can download the movie by .torrent very fast these days hundreds of ppl sharing...

About the movie itself, you be the judge... :)

awkward silence
31-10-05, 16:40
I never said that dubs were better, I have never in my life seen an entire movie
that's dubbed, because I can't stand it. I also dont like to read subs, mainly
because of the reasons I wrote, but also because it takes focus away from the
movie itself.

Ok mate de är klart. BTW... That movie has so many things i think only fins understand.