PDA

View Full Version : More NC-E2.1 Screenshots

Thanatos
28-09-05, 17:43
These shots nicely show the difference between the old and new vegetation and weapon models.

http://entry.neocron.com/news/nc2_1_a.jpg
http://entry.neocron.com/news/nc2_1_b.jpg
http://entry.neocron.com/news/nc2_1_c.jpg

Vae Victis
28-09-05, 17:48
they look nice, I like the old pumpgun better though :p

msdong
28-09-05, 17:54
i will miss the old nailgunmodel :)

but it looks good with the new vegetation on. nice trashcans btw

...I like the old pumpgun...

:wtf: nahhh

CMaster
28-09-05, 17:55
Op wars aare going to go Jungle warfare :o. Also, I stil think the new nailgun looks like A: a rifle and B: completley wrong genre.

Exioce
28-09-05, 17:58
you guys seriously need to turn up your brightness before you go blind from eye strain :p

Jagrfelm
28-09-05, 17:59
Well, i DO like the Shotgun, but i cant stand the Rocket Launcher :mad:
It doesnt look like a Rocketlauncher, and you lose even more Sight because of it. The Nailgun shouldnt look THAT "demolished", but afar from that its ok.

CMaster
28-09-05, 18:02
you guys seriously need to turn up your brightness before you go blind from eye strain :p
Gamma/brightness levels set in NC arent applied to screenshots.

[TgR]KILLER
28-09-05, 18:02
think we'r all forgetting that 90% of the nc players don't even have comps that can run that vegitation lol. i got about 30/50 fps in op wars but thats with vegitation off.. i don't wanna know what my fps will be when i actually turn it on.. let alone with the new vegitation.. but we'll see :) looks pretty nice tho.

Brammers
28-09-05, 18:06
Nice work KK there!.

Now stop showing off, and start patching the game! :D

Terayon
28-09-05, 18:06
The Nailgun shouldnt look THAT "demolished", but afar from that its ok.
Thats the best looking model by far! I wouldent change anything about the new nailgun model.

RogerRamjet
28-09-05, 18:17
How is all this gonna affect FPS?

retr0n
28-09-05, 18:21
Could you do an ALT+F and take a screenie?

It does look good, but I'm also concerned about fps =/

Vid Gamer
28-09-05, 18:34

You will be able to turn off vegetation if it affects your FPS that much, I assume.

The new models and world detail look very nice!

-FN-
28-09-05, 18:40
I went to Crest Uplink, turned Vegetation on Full... and there's not even any Vegetation inside the OP. So you didn't improve existing Vegetation, you just Added. And like [TgR]Killer said, 90% of us have FPS in the single digits when Vegetation is on...

It was suggested to add Vegetation and upgrade the world in non-PvP essential areas... and you put Vegetation *inside* an OP :rolleyes:

Any chance you guys wanna post the FPS in those zones?

@ Vid Gamer, you will not be able to turn vegetation off, just adjust the intensity. Which means everyone will have it all the down unless they're an exploring LE'd runner.

Skusty
28-09-05, 18:41
Nice. but will the old weapon moddels be lefT?

Kierz
28-09-05, 18:44
Are all the weapons getting new models or just the rarely used ones?

Vid Gamer
28-09-05, 18:45
@ Vid Gamer, you will not be able to turn vegetation off, just adjust the intensity. Which means everyone will have it all the down unless they're an exploring LE'd runner.

Ah, shows that I haven't played in awhile. :D

It's too bad the vegetation is such a system drain, the world looks 10x better with it on.

darkservent
28-09-05, 18:59
Ah, shows that I haven't played in awhile. :D

It's too bad the vegetation is such a system drain, the world looks 10x better with it on.

Why dont KK just upgrade the damn engine.

*hears cries from KK officials* "ARE YOU MAD?"

No im not im sure alot of people want it. lol

Scanner Darkly
28-09-05, 19:14
I put on my robe and wizard hat,
I cast +25 brightness

shotgun http://www.sdarkly.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/nc/shotgun_fixed.jpg

rpg http://www.sdarkly.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/nc/rpg_fixed.jpg

nailgun http://www.sdarkly.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/nc/nailgun_fixed.jpg

(links to brighter images)^^^

paolo escobar
28-09-05, 19:18
We consider some of these improvements so drastic that we decided to present these as Neocron’s evolution stage 2.1 to the public. Of course this upgrade will be free of charge for all Neocron 2 customers and will be released in several large packages. We are aiming to complete this process within the next 2-3 months. As these measures will, once they have been completed, have a considerable impact on the effectiveness of the client and the download sizes, we will provide a new client that contains all the current patches and upgrades. The current clients will naturally remain compatible.

Now on to what is being worked on: as we have learned to be cautious with announcements in the past, I can’t reveal too much about the changes to the engine. What I can tell you is that we’re working on improvements to areas like shadows, physics, collisions and player position updates.

I dont really know much about graphics engines and such like. So i ask the ppl on here who do know or at least have some idea.
Based on what is said in the above quote and what we have see so far, how drastic could the changes to the engine be. Total redesign, heavy reworking or slight modifications?
I think everyone in the community would prolly agree that the current engine is a bit toss.
I'm very interested in the performance and visual quality possibilities that this presents but at the same time dont fully know what they could be.

The NC2.1 screens look nice, alot cleaner. Cant remember right now what the new weapon models looked like and cba to go check cos i'm on a roll. But i do remember not being too chuffed about the nail guns size and rifle likeness.
Out of interest could Thanatos find out and tell us what resolution each of the before and after screens where originally in?

Thanx

Brammers
28-09-05, 19:35
If you all want to see the screenshots released so far from KK, the Tech Haven Network has them all in one place - right here! (http://www.techhaven.org/index.php?set_albumName=nc21evol&option=com_gallery&Itemid=23&include=view_album.php)

Riddle
28-09-05, 20:27
As suggested by many people i would like to voice my concern over Frame Rate.

Currently I get around 50FPS out and about reducing to 30 ish in Busy OP's but when i go to Gravis swamp cave turn Veg on Full I get 3 FPS!

If this is to be forced as i read somewhere else to avoid exploiting a bush ;) then this game will be unplayable. Have you stress tested this or are the main servers gonna beta it again?

Found it .

Forced Vegetation: The new Veg. is forced - you will not be able to use the old one anymore. It´s not only tree replacement - its much more.
But you will be able to scale the itensity. What exactly will be scaleable is not decided yet.

retr0n
28-09-05, 20:34
I put on my robe and wizard hat,

Haha, I just spit coke on my screen. Cybersex ftw!

And yes, please, can you post your system specs and some numbers, please
post screens or something so we can see the effect on FPS. We all want to be
happy about the changes, but if it means sacrificing fps for grass then none of
us will.

Eyes Only
28-09-05, 20:36
Taking screenshots in really high resolution and shrinking them down to make them look better is wrong :P

Tratos
28-09-05, 20:59
I think RatBoy might have got the wrong end of the stick for that question, now i read it again it sounds as if hes saying wether displaying the new veg is optional, as in wether you can choose to have the old stuff or new stuff not if its level of thereness is forced on :S

Nice looking screens KK :)

Aragami
28-09-05, 21:16
truly beautiful!

Bishop Yutani
28-09-05, 21:16
looks great, but i too am concerned with the FPS drop. I have a 6800GT, a gig of ram, 2.2ghz, and nothing running in the background but when i hit the grasslands, i got from 60 to 3 fps just like everyone else.

on the other hand, i hope those "engine modifications" aren't purely to allow high vegetation without killing the fps...

concerns aside, thumbs up. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, KK :cool:

msdong
28-09-05, 21:23
well after a shy question of what systems they used to test NC, carnage told on the german forum that they test on systems that are sold in every shop atm, but testing on systems with less them 3 and 2 Mhz too.

well i dont think the engine work like its now - KK knows the problems with vegetation enabled and i dont think they release something that have 10 fps in op zones on 2Mhz machines.

but i wont bet on lower systems :p

I have a 6800GT,...

to bad NC dont care about your GFX :)

Heavyporker
28-09-05, 21:33
It's not just *added* vegetation. I can see some distinctly new plant models, I think.

Willow trees and the tall kooked trees ftw!

edit -

questions :

- will trees/bushes/grasses finally have a significant effect on camofulaging runners?

- will the old weapon models still be used in some form? Because the old nailgun does look sexy.

- I noticed that these screenies were in places that, really, one would think would be on the barren side BECAUSE of radiation or poor growing conditions. Are you guys keeping the environs in mind, or are you just jizzing plants everywhere for some sort of aesthetic effect, a la " LOOKIT ALL THE PLANTS! OUR ENGINEZ ROXXORS! ONLY NOOBZORS BUY GIMP VIDCARDZ!"?

- Are you going to fix the waters in the Gaya Mines, the MainSewers, and sewers in general? Since, frankly, a graphics-oriented project simply has to deal with these issues!

- Will there be a serious inquiry into the sniper's range issues, such as an unlocking of the rendering limits for range for anyone that equips a specifically long-range rifle? Or will you guys go into the guts of the game and rework the totally stupid link between range presets to aiming? Aiming SHOULD be separate from a weapon's range, at least, when it comes to minimum accuracy. Sniper-equivalent ranges on a laser pistol does not make sense. Not to mention gentanks being able to snipe with cannons. Laser cannons, yes, but it's ridiculous what you can do with a plasma cannon ( NOT a plasma wave cannon) at range.

Mill Gates
28-09-05, 21:38
[ edited ] Why update the graphics before you fix lag issues? Better graphics = more lag. Oh yay!

msdong
28-09-05, 21:46
.... Better graphics = more lag. Oh yay!

this would only happen if the trees are dynamic objects that could be manipulated.
they are transfered once to a file on your PC and are displayed when need.

theres nothin to transfer from/to the server.

well yes. if you have a bad network card and your running at full load it can produce lag.
but i think thats a problem of the past.

giga191
28-09-05, 22:07
Now on to what is being worked on: as we have learned to be cautious with announcements in the past, I can’t reveal too much about the changes to the engine. What I can tell you is that we’re working on improvements to areas like shadows, physics, collisions and player position updates. Updates about specific features will be released as their development finishes.

some people are never happy, hence why they won't reveal too much. Even from just 3 screenshots people have managed to make critical comments. KK have made mistakes in the past but they aren't stupid enough to just slap on some extra vegetation without optimising the way the game handles graphics

Judge
28-09-05, 22:48
Very nice improvement to the graphics, makes those shots look alot more atmospheric.

vashtyphoon78
28-09-05, 22:53
Op wars aare going to go Jungle warfare :o. Also, I stil think the new nailgun looks like A: a rifle and B: completley wrong genre.
Maybe NC will become more then just "OMFG UR FPS !5 73H 5^CK! I 0WN3D YOU!" personally i think it will be a nice change.

Asurmen Spec Op
28-09-05, 23:00
Put veg on full, tbpfh

I <3 KK

Mr Friendly
28-09-05, 23:34
yay...wow...cool screenies....

so bout the bug fixes & ppu fix.... *cough* :rolleyes:
nuthin's changed

QuakCow
28-09-05, 23:37
looks really awesome, i hope the new rl has an active dsiplay like laser cannons :D

though i despise the new nailgun...its description says its a tool modified for combat, but that aint no tool

Tratos
28-09-05, 23:41
yay...wow...cool screenies....

so bout the bug fixes & ppu fix.... *cough* :rolleyes:
nuthin's changed

Yes i can just see photoshop and 3dmax or what ever it is the Art Department have used to create these new models and textures with helping to balance the PPU.

I know coders need to implement this stuff but theres 1 of 3, not alot but it is a third of KKs coding staff tackling bugs full time.

And theres alot of other stuff the content developers and QA guys are fixing at the moment and you have to see the rather large amount of bug fixes that have occured since Neocron 2s launch that long year ago.

Fucks sake. :rolleyes:

retr0n
29-09-05, 00:03
I just hope that when the changes actually come, and yes they will come in
server patches, that they actually upgrade everything in the end of that 2-3
months period and not like the texturechange that was half done and never
looked at again. A whole year has passed and there are still old textures everywhere.

Also, after you finish with this, could you please make it your priority to update
the NPC models, and add a few more playermodels, skins & clothes.

I would still like to see KK start using community contributions again, maybe
hold a few contests here and there, or even just asking ppl to come with suggestions,
atleast for the graphical stuff, some skins models etc. It would involve the
community, take a load off of the art dept and wouldn't cost them a cent.

El_MUERkO
29-09-05, 00:11
2.1 looks nicer except your still using the crap RPOS, if your going to make the game look better why not redo the HUD we have to see constantly while playing?

PS: First post in over a year :)

Mr Friendly
29-09-05, 02:00
Yes i can just see photoshop and 3dmax or what ever it is the Art Department have used to create these new models and textures with helping to balance the PPU.

I know coders need to implement this stuff but theres 1 of 3, not alot but it is a third of KKs coding staff tackling bugs full time.

And theres alot of other stuff the content developers and QA guys are fixing at the moment and you have to see the rather large amount of bug fixes that have occured since Neocron 2s launch that long year ago.

Fucks sake. :rolleyes:

& this explains why ppus have been needing to get fixed for years & havent? the hybrid fix came farely quick...same with the dev fix...& poison beam fix...not that hard...

oh & btw, the 1/3 thing is just an opinion, unless u have a few GM friends, or work for kk & know what they're currently doing...
remember the "april fools joke" vid they released when it was supposed to be the nc demo? .... :rolleyes:

Asurmen Spec Op
29-09-05, 02:53
Ok, this isnt fucking hard to understand

1) Art department DOES NOT code they CANNOT fix PPUs!
2)THEY ARE THE ART PEOPLE
3) THEY ARE THE FUCKING ART PEOPLE AND DONT CODE

this is why, this has 0 to do with code

ZoVoS
29-09-05, 04:17

er *looks around* YE WHAT HE SAID :D

Heavyporker
29-09-05, 04:59
Asurmen, I gave up hammering the "Art people do gfx, not code" point a long time ago. People are just thick, and there's new thick people coming in all the time, so...

Asurmen Spec Op
29-09-05, 05:16
Asurmen, I gave up hammering the "Art people do gfx, not code" point a long time ago. People are just thick, and there's new thick people coming in all the time, so...
meh

I was taught in school that if you repeated it 3-7 times that youd keep it in your head for a while.

a true test of this theory

MrTrip
29-09-05, 08:01
I'm keeping an open mind here, but if I cannot turn off these god forsaken plants, I will quit this game.

Turning on those retarded plants even on SUPER LOW quality drops my FPS, wich is all ready horridly low, I'm surprised I can even run NC with the way people talk about how you need a 7ghz system with 14 gig of ram, a 1 gig video card and a lot of hope :lol:

Original monk
29-09-05, 09:16
i like the screens in general, weapons look good and vegetation is nice :) (tough most people turn it of indeed, fe: i dont wonna be killed at the graviscave nomore not seeing what even hit me because of the bushes :) )

i like the screens yah, nice vegetation and cool weapons yeah, as an extra note on the hud: maybe make an option that we can switch between NC1 and NC2 hud ? dont get me wrong the NC2 hud looks ok but it takes alot of space on youre screen :)

again nice pics, if you got any more, dont hessitate to post em and dont mind whiners as on this forum theres always atleast someone having comments on i dunno what all :)

msdong
29-09-05, 09:28
... dont get me wrong the NC2 hud looks ok but it takes alot of space on youre screen :)....

Use 1600*xxxx like on the screens and the hud isnt that big any more :p

Matthew.v.smith
29-09-05, 10:02
I'm really liking the look of those Models, especially the Shotgun, very nice indeed.
I'm hoping for a new Paineaser or CS model :P

M.

numb
29-09-05, 10:51
If something can be done about the performance hit of having vegetation on, I dont think it should be optional. I have it off for a couple of reasons the most important of which is :

In certain zones (around Regents) you cant see where you're going because of all the vegetation, if you have it on there and your opponents have it off, you are at a distinct disadvantage because you cant see them! Even if I could play with good fps and vegetation on, I'd never have it on because of this!

jini
29-09-05, 12:10

ok ok dont shout...
Can they at least remove Para? 111one

Riddle
29-09-05, 12:37
KK will be missing an opportunity if they implement all this lovely veg and texture stuff but don't incorporate a new RPOS tbh.

At least offering the old NC1 HUD as an option would be a step in the right direction.

In fact I have said before they should let the community knock up some RPOS of their own in Photoshop etc. and the winner of the competition be included in game as an option.

Thats 2 more options with little or no work from the art department ;)

Brammers
29-09-05, 12:41
I'm keeping an open mind here, but if I cannot turn off these god forsaken plants, I will quit this game.

Turning on those retarded plants even on SUPER LOW quality drops my FPS, wich is all ready horridly low, I'm surprised I can even run NC with the way people talk about how you need a 7ghz system with 14 gig of ram, a 1 gig video card and a lot of hope :lol:

Have you asked if KK are going to improve the graphics engine performace?

And NC2 runs fine on a P3-700, 512megs of Ram and a Geforce TI200. It gets a bit slow when zoning and sometimes during op-fights.

Yelly
29-09-05, 13:58
I wonder why it all comes down t oremove paras and balance ppu ?
First off.para is not bad.Use drugs.That is why they are ingame
Ppu's go down as fast as anything else as ppl use nib buffs and stuff.
Those who whine about ppu's should be refixed should learn to use those things instead of whining and moaming on the forum about it

Dargeshaad
29-09-05, 13:59
First off.para is not bad.Use drugs.That is why they are ingame
Ppu's go down as fast as anything else as ppl use nib buffs and stuff.
Those who whine about ppu's should be refixed should learn to use those things instead of whining and moaming on the forum about it
Wonderfull argument, use nibbuff to kill the ppus :lol:

Lodar
29-09-05, 14:23
Stay on topic please.

Drake6k
29-09-05, 14:57
I'm really impressed kk. I know the Neocron engine is old and kinda not good though.. I do hope it is capable of running high fps with those graphics on. Also it will be pretty lame if vegitation can be turned off.. because no one would have it on during pvp.

Seven
29-09-05, 15:39

Since no one from KK is giving you an answer I will.

It's going to lower your FPS.

retr0n
29-09-05, 16:06
Since no one from KK is giving you an answer I will.

It's going to lower your FPS.

I was thinking the same thing. If they were confident in the new changes they
are making, they would say atleast something. But they are probably doing some
tweaks here and there and don't really know themselves what will come out in
the end.

My bet would be on lower.

eprodigy
29-09-05, 22:25
lots of posts come to that because its one of the top 2-3 things that make the game suck right now

Asurmen Spec Op
29-09-05, 22:44
lots of posts come to that because its one of the top 2-3 things that make the game suck right now
No, because people are to stupid to understand that art people dont program

eprodigy
29-09-05, 23:23
there is some coding work involved with this im certain. one minute spent installing a new grass is time wasted.

Asurmen Spec Op
29-09-05, 23:37
replacing the same files with diferent ones usually doesnt do much coding

Bishop Yutani
30-09-05, 00:08
the vegetation is not simply a texture. Vegetation, like trees and bushes can be very complicated stuff, check out Speedtree.com

retr0n
30-09-05, 00:37
the vegetation is not simply a texture. Vegetation, like trees and bushes can be very complicated stuff, check out Speedtree.com

They keyword here being "can", nc's veg is nothing more then a few lowpoly
trees and the rest is all texturework.

They may have added a few more polygons to the trees but the grass is still the
same.

Heavyporker
30-09-05, 06:51
trust me, it's good that they don't make grass into full-on 3d objects instead of the 2d sprites they are now.

3d grass, even if it was just scrubby steppes, would KILL any computer. Even a mainframe with 300 geforce 7800s would die rendering a grasslands zone.

Xeno LARD
30-09-05, 09:51
Yeah, now that i updated my pc to finally get some good FPS, game gfx and shit are increased and i will drop down to crap FPS again i bet. :lol:

About the vegetation, can we still turn it off? Or will it be forced to "on"?

Asurmen Spec Op
30-09-05, 09:54
It better be somewhat forced, KK knows if its not no one will EVER see it

Xeno LARD
30-09-05, 10:05
It better be somewhat forced, KK knows if its not no one will EVER see it
Thats what i mean, every pvper will turn it off for better fps and sight anyway.

I always did, only played with max resolution, vegetation and everything when i was out hunting. So it at least looked kinda impressive. :lol:

Bishop Yutani
30-09-05, 16:05
why would it be forced anyway? There's a slider for it now, why would they take it out just because they refined the look of them? That doesn't make any sense to me.

as far as fairness between people who have veg on and those that dont, that seems like bullsh!t too. Everyone's got a different computer, its not up to KK to balance things out. Turn it off if your computer can't handle it. Mine can't.

Riddle
30-09-05, 16:12
why would it be forced anyway?
Why waste time completly redoing something that no one is going to have on? thats what we have been asking all along!!

They would partially force it so all players are in the same boat , it has been pointed out loads that one player with bush on would be at a disadvantage. Say for example- Player A trying to hide behind a bush which Player B doesn't even see as he has it switched off!!

They have already said they are looking at a sensitivity option but its undecided so far.

msdong
30-09-05, 16:38
i just get an idea for all those ppl that dont want it forced.
make a OFF LOW MED HIGH
but kk should patch a vegetation ON reqirement in all the rare weapons :)
or just Force vegetation on No LE ppl.

if it runs on 2.1 MHz its an acceptable minimum requirement.
and tbh, i give a damn about you <1.8MHz PK/PvP out there.

€on the other hand, vegetation as cover is useless because of the local list and the Gray man effect in the distance.

numb
30-09-05, 17:11
€on the other hand, vegetation as cover is useless because of the local list and the Gray man effect in the distance.

I didnt know it was possible to see the horizon in dense vegitation? It's definitely useless if people have the option of turning it off.

msdong
30-09-05, 17:28
I didnt know it was possible to see the horizon in dense vegitation? ....

well not in the swamp areas. they are special, but i play with vegetation all the time and grass and bushes are useless because even if the slider is full up you see ppl at the horizon. how many usefull zones have "swamp vegetation" that blocks view to the horizon ?

Tratos
30-09-05, 17:46
People saying "Whats the point in updating things you cant see?" have to remember you cant turn trees and bushes off anyway O_o

People talking about forced Veg mean the actual grass which i hope will be forced on to a degree and make more PC friendly.

MrTrip
30-09-05, 21:40

And NC2 runs fine on a P3-700, 512megs of Ram and a Geforce TI200. It gets a bit slow when zoning and sometimes during op-fights.

Turn on Vegetation and you will see how fine it runs... It will crawl and jump all over the screen.

When I made a newbie in MC5, I ran out of the MC5 building into a HUGE FPS drop, I could not move period, I couldnt tell where I was going, it was like looking through screen shots...it was insane. I turned it off and everything was just fine, I couldnt even have it as low as it would go, it had to be OFF.

Seven
01-10-05, 02:29

You must have all your details on low to get it to run "fine" on that system.
And with the settings on low this game looks horrid.

It's a shame that KK is forced to use Click2Pay because that's keeping alot of customers from playing.
Jazzing up the graphics is great and fixing bugs is even better, but with low server pops it's not worth the effort. :(

Scanner Darkly
01-10-05, 02:40
It's a shame that KK is forced to use Click2Pay because that's keeping alot of customers from playing.
(

Surely this is something that ReaKKtor and 10tacle chose themselves, it was never FORCED on them. It is a shame that this company continues to disregard proven marketing methods and the game remains obscure and underplayed.

If the company showed more financial faith (advertising/marketing) in the product we could have a game on our hands. Especially since (at least for me) most of the bugs have been ironed out and the game is looking sharper than ever.

Tostino
01-10-05, 04:32
When I get my L2 free server website up, i'll put a NC banner on it ^^.

Heavyporker
01-10-05, 09:05
Hrmph. How about independent Neocron servers.

Then I'd start a heavy-RP shard, I imagine. :p

No.. seriously... *drools*

El Jimben
01-10-05, 10:04
Can't be arsed to read all the other posts as I shouldn't be awake at this time + I'm hungover. Screenshot 3 clearly shows you have a pistol selected in the QB but shhotgun shows on screen?

Scanner Darkly
01-10-05, 10:23
Can't be arsed to read all the other posts as I shouldn't be awake at this time + I'm hungover. Screenshot 3 clearly shows you have a pistol selected in the QB but shhotgun shows on screen?

This has been said earlier (in the posts you didn't read) the 2d sprite art is created/attached to the 3d models last of all, just before they are patched to the game.

Seven
01-10-05, 16:33
Surely this is something that ReaKKtor and 10tacle chose themselves, it was never FORCED on them.

You're wrong.
10tacle and Click2pay are partners, so yes, it was forced onto KK.

10tacle studios AG has signed a strategic cooperation agreement with Click2Pay GmbH, a subsidiary of the listed InfoGenie Europe AG, and Wire Card AG. Together, the two enterprises are planning on implementing the sophisticated payment solution in the field of subscription administration for online games, specifically MMORPGs.

http://www.10tacel.com/index.php?con=10tacle-partner&lang=en

3000 posts, WOOHOO! :D

Scanner Darkly
01-10-05, 18:54
Well you don't seem to have read my post, but that's ok. Oh and happy tri-millenium.

Anyway, I'm done derailing this thread - I don't like people who flame KK, but making them appear like an innocent victim :angel: is just the other extreme.

Then again they probably have no say in how people pay for their product, so it's pretty pointless having a go at them.

Either way, the only one screwed is the custormer (if they can't get either of the payment methods to play ball).

Al3X
03-10-05, 12:28
Someone wetted his pants because of that nailgun..

Brammers
03-10-05, 15:30
trust me, it's good that they don't make grass into full-on 3d objects instead of the 2d sprites they are now.

3d grass, even if it was just scrubby steppes, would KILL any computer. Even a mainframe with 300 geforce 7800s would die rendering a grasslands zone.

A 2D sprite is effectively a 3D polygon with a texture applied to it. The graphics card Z-Buffering should remove any excess textures/polygons for plotting. This is no different to plotting a ground texture square.

As to why NC runs like a dog outside, my theory is outside they don't use a binary space partitioning tree for the shrubs, so as a result you are plotting everything, including what can't be seen.

Original monk
05-10-05, 12:22

nice site :)

numb
05-10-05, 13:30
Has the move to NC2 resulted in a huge hit to performance when using vegetation? I'm sure my first few months of NC1 I had it on. I put it on the other day by sherman bay to see what it's like and I got about 2 fps!

dem0n
05-10-05, 20:05
A 2D sprite is effectively a 3D polygon with a texture applied to it. The graphics card Z-Buffering should remove any excess textures/polygons for plotting. This is no different to plotting a ground texture square.

As to why NC runs like a dog outside, my theory is outside they don't use a binary space partitioning tree for the shrubs, so as a result you are plotting everything, including what can't be seen.

yeah, I've also read that CroTeam wrote new code for their engine that would remove all excess elements in one go, rather than finishing the whole by doing it in between something else as it's read partially.

giga191
05-10-05, 22:05
found a nice nc1 screeny

Riddle
06-10-05, 12:21
Time for some more screenies? come on i want a patch soon if not that give me something else to fill the time :P

Original monk
06-10-05, 13:33
found a nice nc1 screeny

very nice screen indeed :) with the grass and all

darn also those names :P sunnysteify, pain_easer, st cuthbert lol i feel home right away !

Clive tombstone
06-10-05, 20:21
Damn! I just figuered out what I want re-done grafic wise! I want a new PE PA! :D

Sides that, when are we gonna see the new lowtech assault rifle and chain cannon? :D

PEace out

MaGn0lia
10-10-05, 14:37
I don't know if this whole idea of bumping up the graphics is a demonstration of bad judgement from KK's side without taking up a completely new engine or doing a complete overhaul.

The engine doesn't take advantage of any new technology invented since Geforce 2 and Pentium 3, and bumping the graphics is just not a good idea, the graphics crads and processors might be over ten times faster than what they were back then but they still can't make things without optimization. Just like AMD Athlon 64 processors, they have lower clockspeeds than the Athlon XP series but they still are twice as fast as they are, but ONLY in programs that can use all of their capabilities.

Also going for OpenGL api and porting NC for Linux would be pretty neat idea to gather more players and publicity.

dem0n
10-10-05, 15:53
I don't know if this whole idea of bumping up the graphics is a demonstration of bad judgement from KK's side without taking up a completely new engine or doing a complete overhaul.

The engine doesn't take advantage of any new technology invented since Geforce 2 and Pentium 3, and bumping the graphics is just not a good idea, the graphics crads and processors might be over ten times faster than what they were back then but they still can't make things without optimization. Just like AMD Athlon 64 processors, they have lower clockspeeds than the Athlon XP series but they still are twice as fast as they are, but ONLY in programs that can use all of their capabilities.

Also going for OpenGL api and porting NC for Linux would be pretty neat idea to gather more players and publicity.

surely, you must agree that the overall visual expirience isn't enginewise dependant. I've seen games less advanced by far, which have managed to inspire me. sure, I'm not against having UT X engine, but I wouldn't go about degrading the look of NC just because it's technologically old. On the contrary, I'd give much respect to the KK team for creating a very unique theme, their textures create a very modern atmosphere, a kind of world most of us NC players would wish to expirience [god, make me live by 2250 atleast], and give much space to our imagination to see it differently and make it more beautiful in our perception. what I'm trying to say is, this is a nice step twoards using the increased texture size modification they've done to the engine, and updating old textures and old models to give a completly new look and feel to Neocron, small things which would make the game a whole lot better, much more than an engine overhaul to increse model complexity and such. if I'd go for some engine reprogramming, I'd definitly only go for optimization, and nothing else.

Kame
12-10-05, 19:00
Well new guns models are a nice, refreshing change. And i think Neocron CUSTOMERS should have a word in it, as its we, in the end, that uses them.
It could be as simple as making 2 (or more) protoypes for each weapons. (more for more used/commen weps, like CS, Healing Light...and less for obscure weps, like the nailgun)
They could then post the weps prototypes, and have us VOTE for the skin we want. (1 vote per wep, per account)
I think this would satisfy most NC CUSTOMERS.

retr0n
12-10-05, 19:17
Well new guns models are a nice, refreshing change. And i think Neocron CUSTOMERS should have a word in it, as its we, in the end, that uses them.
It could be as simple as making 2 (or more) protoypes for each weapons. (more for more used/commen weps, like CS, Healing Light...and less for obscure weps, like the nailgun)
They could then post the weps prototypes, and have us VOTE for the skin we want. (1 vote per wep, per account)
I think this would satisfy most NC CUSTOMERS.

Talking IN semi caps give us THE IMPRESSION that you ARE in fact cap. James
T. KIRK of the starship ENTERPRISE.

However, I do agree with you. Would be cool to see some options, but I doubt
it would happend.

Kame
12-10-05, 20:10
''We have no more power Captain !!!''

-Scotty

dem0n
13-10-05, 19:53
Talking IN semi caps give us THE IMPRESSION that you ARE in fact cap. James
T. KIRK of the starship ENTERPRISE.

However, I do agree with you. Would be cool to see some options, but I doubt
it would happend.

you say it as if they'd dislike the idea :(. sure, I agree it would be nice, but I think it would be impossible since it would be resource consuming aswell.