Dargeshaad
27-09-05, 16:53
Yea it's called a proxy server and you can forget all about playing

Riddle
27-09-05, 17:04
O shit in a word GUTTED :eek: GLad i got no plans of going to UNI

Mechanicus
27-09-05, 17:13
oh damn, well i think i can play if i get the technitions to set it up, theres something about something like that written somewhere

ah well, plenty of better things to be doing :D

CMaster
27-09-05, 17:36
Leeds Uni was pretty liberal (they allowed pretty much all traffic, although they blocked file sharing towards the very end.) BUt yeah, looks like you are pretty shafted to me.

landofcake
27-09-05, 17:43
AthlonSolo and i are at the university of Kent,

It's blocked but i know a few people have tunneled things through the ports that ARE open ... i wouldn't know about it though.

Mechanicus
27-09-05, 17:52
oh oh how do i find which ports are open ??

Dargeshaad
27-09-05, 18:16
oh oh how do i find which ports are open ??
Do a port scan? :lol:

Mechanicus
27-09-05, 18:23
how do i do that?

-FN-
27-09-05, 19:15
Pretty safe bet that 21, 22, 80, 139, and 5190 are open. You could try those, but who knows what repurcussions it'll have with other apps...

Vid Gamer
27-09-05, 20:13
Same thing happened to me. My college blocked all ports except HTML for internet browsing. Hell, I couldn't even use IRC.

Your best bet is to find out what ports NC2 uses and ask the Network Administrator at your Uni to open them up.

Dunkin
27-09-05, 20:51
@Mechanicus

download Http Tunnel (http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/) this programm use the http port for onlinegames and software ;)

Dribble Joy
27-09-05, 22:00
Http tunnel is really iffy, it kept shorting out on us while we were in halls, and only let us use msn... yay.

Obsidian X
27-09-05, 22:08
Link is dead :P

Also is there anyway of tunneling through a non-HTTP port? I got the same problem and I can't get hold of an admin as of yet. I think they might cooperate as they allow CS, HL etc through the firewall...

RogerRamjet
27-09-05, 22:20
AthlonSolo and i are at the university of Kent,

It's blocked but i know a few people have tunneled things through the ports that ARE open ... i wouldn't know about it though.

Get yo' ass back to NC tbh.

Toxen
28-09-05, 02:23
Rubs hands together last year the service provider at our uni went nuts closing down ports left right and center cus the network was rife with virus's and download bandwidth hoggers going through the main gateway... but the uni had an auxilary gateway for certain departments that was accessible internaly via the halls network suffise to say it was alot faster than the main gateway.... but to use the gateway I had to use SSH (Remote access) so i could port forward from my computer to the auxilary gateway..... but this didn't have a wide range of ports open either which is where i give you info to help you out.

Quick networks basics lesson, two types of data packet go in and out of your system for most programs, TCP and UDP, not going into much detail but TCP is limited to basic stuff not programs such as NC. proxies which are normally used for remote access which you probably have in halls only forward TCP packets to the gateway. You need to be able to send UDP packets to a remote gateway.... this won't be your uni's gateway chances are they won't have the ports open for neocron and other applications.

What you need is a Socks Proxy, which has two parts server, which is the computer that has all the ports needed open and interacts with the gateway on your behalf ie it pretends to be you and then forwards your info on to your actual computer and client part which is a little program that simply sits there until you tell it to run a program in socks, what this does is capture all the packets that program sends out, sends them via the socks proxy to the socks server which then sends them onto the gateway with all the proper ports open and visa versa basicly its transparent.

Good news: Both server and client software are free and fairly easy to use and install.

Bad news: Your gonna have to find a socks server, if you've got a network at home with a comp thats always on you can stick the proxy server on there and use the home network as the socks server.

http://socks.permeo.com/index.asp Socks client

http://www.dispi.com/proxyplus/faq/articles/EN/art00904.htm
This site is a quick kinda tutorial with Proxy+ the proxy server software I use its a rather dynamic package.

Koshinn
28-09-05, 08:24
Do a port scan? :lol:

That's illegal!!11!

Dargeshaad
28-09-05, 08:49
That's illegal!!11!
Lies, all lies! ;)

Toxen
28-09-05, 10:40
Depends on the system the system admin and the software used.

Mechanicus
01-10-05, 21:06
i found some info on the network im on:

Minimum Connection Speed: 10Mbits - full duplex
Infrastructure: 10Mbits from room to Reset backbone, 100Mbits from Reset backbone to UCC Servers, 155Mbits from UCC Servers to the Internet
if i can get the technitions to open the ports i need to play will neocron work?
is it possible to get it to work on this network?
it it actually a proxy im on or is it just the fact that 99% of the ports are closed?
will i be able to join a vent server on this network?
can i connect to STEAM through this network?
are either SocksCap/http tunnel suitable for this network, or are they for something else?

Dribble Joy
01-10-05, 22:25
It is most likely that they have a proxy, most admins are not that stupid to simply close off most ports, especially when there are comp sci students around.

Mechanicus
01-10-05, 22:39
well i can connect through http tunnel but it just goes onto a perma black sync after the login screens and spams this message:

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/423/0006gg.png

is there any way around this?
it MUST be possible if i can get so close

Judge
02-10-05, 14:44
It is most likely that they have a proxy, most admins are not that stupid to simply close off most ports, especially when there are comp sci students around.

Yeah, I really can't see it being a very easyor relaxing job, being a network admin at a Uni. I know for one I'll be trying to work round any restrictions on hall network access when I go to Uni next year.

Kinda off topic, but how rampant are virus' in the hall's networks? From what I hear from a mate at Reading it'll take a few minutes for an unprotected windows box to get fully shafted, this similar in other Unis? (I'm preparing a Smoothwall firewall atm... just to be safe)

CMaster
02-10-05, 14:47
Very, very rife. (Leeds). Its possible to protect yourself from it, but my never-before internet connected win2k box conracted the Blaster worm from being connected to Uni Newtork, finding out interent access wasnt availble and fogtetting to unplug again.

Serious_Sam
02-10-05, 20:26
Easy solution, don't live in halls! Get some friends and share the rent in a house.

Dribble Joy
02-10-05, 21:34
Not allways an option in your first year, and not really advisable either. Halls are much better at getting you sorted out living away from home without having to deal with people you don't know and are generally much safer (security in general, less worries about insurance and things).

Anyway, as for virii, it depends on the Uni. Mine (Brunel) is quite good afaik.

landofcake
03-10-05, 00:19
how to do it:

first, find out if Neocron uses TCP, UDP or both.

If it uses either both or UDP forget it. Most university connections with even a slight bit of protection drop UDP packets. You'll be able to get it to work through lots of sillyness (VPN or IP over DNS or something like that) but it's rather difficult.

If Neocron only uses TCP, you're in luck.

Get SSH access to a Unix/Linux machine somewhere (it shouldn't be too hard), then download something called SOCKSCap. This is quite a clever program that intercepts calls to the TCP stack and routes them through to a SOCKS server, which can run happily from Putty and forward all the traffic through port 22 (SSH) to your external machine and then out to the internet.

PM me if you need more details, but you'll have to get a login to an external, unblocked Linux machine somewhere though.

IceStorm
03-10-05, 01:31
I'm not sure how UK institutions view student network segments, but here in the USA a college/university computer network is not an ISP. They are under absolutely no obligation to provide you access to services. On top of that they typically have a rather strong Terms of Service. Usually that ToS says that if you try to bypass their existing firewall/routing infrastructure you can be disconnected, expelled, or worse (criminal charges, etc).

Ignore anyone here who said do a portscan. That's almost certaintly against the ToS for a university network and is a quick way to get youself disconnected.

Your best bet is to ask the networking group at your school if they have a SOCKS proxy accessible to students. Your next best bet is to see if you can get alternative broadband installed - bluetooth to a cellphone with an unlimited data plan, most likely. I've heard of horror stories about trying to get DSL in the UK (something about limited phone numbers).

Back when I was in school a couple of my friends wanted to play their MMOs without restrictions. They had ISDN installed in their dorm room for just that purpose. Drastic, but they were the only ones who were playing UO and EQ on something other than dial-up. :-)

NC is not worth getting expelled for.

Obsidian X
03-10-05, 14:11
I'm not sure how UK institutions view student network segments, but here in the USA a college/university computer network is not an ISP. They are under absolutely no obligation to provide you access to services. On top of that they typically have a rather strong Terms of Service. Usually that ToS says that if you try to bypass their existing firewall/routing infrastructure you can be disconnected, expelled, or worse (criminal charges, etc).

Ignore anyone here who said do a portscan. That's almost certaintly against the ToS for a university network and is a quick way to get youself disconnected.

Your best bet is to ask the networking group at your school if they have a SOCKS proxy accessible to students. Your next best bet is to see if you can get alternative broadband installed - bluetooth to a cellphone with an unlimited data plan, most likely. I've heard of horror stories about trying to get DSL in the UK (something about limited phone numbers).

Back when I was in school a couple of my friends wanted to play their MMOs without restrictions. They had ISDN installed in their dorm room for just that purpose. Drastic, but they were the only ones who were playing UO and EQ on something other than dial-up. :-)

NC is not worth getting expelled for.

You're pretty much right about UK institutions there IceStorm. However, my service provider in the halls state that they will accept applications to allow services, and decide on a case-by-case basis whether or not to allow them. For example, they do not prohibit online games (CS, Half Life etc) are on the list of allowed services. I need some kind of technical overview of NC's port usage so I can contact them.

IceStorm
03-10-05, 15:19
I need some kind of technical overview of NC's port usage so I can contact them.Ah, so you need someone here to monitor what's said by NC during a session. Ethereal (free network sniffer) should be able to do that.

I could do it, but not before Wednesday around 11pm Eastern Daylight Time. Someone else here should be able to. Ideally, the person would grab not only a capture of a patch download but also a login to the account server and a login to a game server. After that it's just a matter of writing down what ports are in use. Note that your local port (source) can vary quite a bit. I don't think the server-side destination port does, though.

By the way, you can probably FTP the files from the patch server via an FTP gateway. Usually it's an FTP site at the school where you login with <userid>@<remote host> for the FTP site you want to access, then the gateway connects you to the remote host and you enter your password to finish the login sequence.

Judge
03-10-05, 23:58
Hrm, I'll have to read whatever Uni I go to's ToS on network access... but I mean if you're tunneling to an external server (say a server at home) then you're only sending TCP packets through whatever port is normally allowed, so I'm guessing in most cases that it'll be allowed. I'd guess its only an issue if you're using the network for copyrighted material (alot of Unis in America got busted for that recently iirc), but if you're using an encrpyted tunnel then who is going to notice.

Or... if you were wanting to be really subversive and nerdy then you could probably do something like hide that encrypted tunnel in (for example) an Unreal Tournament game (or whtaever service that is allowed) between your computer and the server computer so that if anyone did attempt to monitor your line they'd see mostly the game/service traffic and would most likely miss the other unauthorised traffic.

Xeno LARD
04-10-05, 12:25
Thought about trying it. But as i can't smoke here, can't drink here and i'm not allowed to stay over night, no chance there.
:lol:

Dribble Joy
04-10-05, 14:17
Or... if you were wanting to be really subversive and nerdy then you could probably do something like hide that encrypted tunnel in (for example) an Unreal Tournament game (or whtaever service that is allowed) between your computer and the server computer so that if anyone did attempt to monitor your line they'd see mostly the game/service traffic and would most likely miss the other unauthorised traffic.
Unless they get suspicious of 1 mbit coming through an app that's usually 4kb/s tops :p.

Judge
04-10-05, 14:22
Yeah... well. Dammit.

Although most home lines only have around a 25kb/s upload bandwidth so it wouldn't be that noticable. But then conversely you'd only be able to download at around 21kb/s if we're assuming a 4kb/s traffic from the actual game (and I think that it might well be a bit higher than that). So as it gets less noticable, it also gets less and less useful, tbh it'd be more useful for hiding low traffic applications that you don't want other people to eaves drop on.