PDA

View Full Version : Problem with System Crash.

Azrael104
25-09-05, 20:04
Hi there,
I have Recently bought a new PC(half a month old), and use it in Tandem with my old one via a router.
The Problem i have with NC2, is that after a certain amount of time my system crashes completly, it just restarts. If i let it startup without turning off the power at the back, itll instantly crash again if i start NC again.
Any other game i can play for as long as i want, on full details, (BF2, Doom3, Dungeon Siege 2, Thief 3, HL2, CS:S, etc.)no problem. O_o

When i restarted, it sometimes comes up with the Windows Crash analysing thingie, and tells me a Device Driver is responsible for the crash, no Exact details unfortunately.

Its not a overheating issue since the Temperature Gauge's alarm never goes off, and the temperature never goes above 35-40 Degress Celsius on CPU/HDD.

Specs:
3.7Ghz AMD Athlon
2GB DDR Ram
ATI x850 XT Card
120 GB HDD
Audigy Sound Card

All drivers except the Sound card are new, Direct X is new as well.

Id appreciate any help in this matter.

:cool:

Dargeshaad
25-09-05, 20:31
This is just speculations, but from your specs you look like you have OC'ed your CPU insanely much (considering the fastest anyone has got an AMD64 to is 3860MHz on dryice). Add this to the fact that NC uses the CPU 100% no matter what and I don't think any of the other games you mentioned even come close to that so it might be the CPU that's the problem (doesn't have to be a matter of overheating but just that it makes errors in the computations which will crash windows or NC)

aKe`cj
25-09-05, 20:37
[ ] check if _all_ fans inside the case are _really_ working
[ ] run a physical test on your ram and hdd
[ ] see if you can get the BSOD to appear (turn off "autoreboot on bluescreen)
[ ] run dxdiag
[ ] make sure your drivers are not just the newest, but also compatible & specificly designed for your hardware
[ ] launch a cpu-hungry process and see what happens
[ ] defrag the drive
[ ] re-install nc
[ ] feel angry and give away the pc (to me e.g.) :p

/edit: If you've overclocked your sys, go waste someone elses time :rolleyes: :)

Azrael104
25-09-05, 21:13
Sorry if i wasnt clear enough, i mean i have a 3.7 GHz in there, but it runs at approx. 2.4 ghz. I aint overclocked anything....yet :P

EDIT: My old PC runs a AMD which is clocked far lower, at about 1.7 or so? Never crashes on NC

Well.....NC itself crashes, but thats a different matter :P

Dargeshaad
25-09-05, 21:51
So I take it you mean you have a 3700+ AMD64 hehe, what kind of powersupply do you have btw? (and what is the thoroughput in watt?)

Azrael104
25-09-05, 23:47
500 Watt

EDIT: Well AMD says its a 3.7 Ghz CPU, yet all AMDs run lower than what it says on the box. I think 3.7 Is what you can OC it to.

awkward silence
26-09-05, 00:10
Hi there,
I have Recently bought a new PC(half a month old), and use it in Tandem with my old one via a router.
The Problem i have with NC2, is that after a certain amount of time my system crashes completly, it just restarts. If i let it startup without turning off the power at the back, itll instantly crash again if i start NC again.
Any other game i can play for as long as i want, on full details, (BF2, Doom3, Dungeon Siege 2, Thief 3, HL2, CS:S, etc.)no problem. O_o

When i restarted, it sometimes comes up with the Windows Crash analysing thingie, and tells me a Device Driver is responsible for the crash, no Exact details unfortunately.

Its not a overheating issue since the Temperature Gauge's alarm never goes off, and the temperature never goes above 35-40 Degress Celsius on CPU/HDD.

Specs:
3.7Ghz AMD Athlon
2GB DDR Ram
ATI x850 XT Card
120 GB HDD
Audigy Sound Card

All drivers except the Sound card are new, Direct X is new as well.

Id appreciate any help in this matter.

:cool:

Had the same problem. Reinstalled nc plus patches and it works fine now.

Tostino
26-09-05, 00:11
Try disableing devices that are not needed to run NC (like your sound card) and see if that helps. I would also re-install the video drivers. And if that doesn't work see if you can use a old video card and test if it restarts with that in.

kurai
26-09-05, 00:33
500 Watt

EDIT: Well AMD says its a 3.7 Ghz CPU, yet all AMDs run lower than what it says on the box. I think 3.7 Is what you can OC it to.
The "3700" etc numbers are simply what the AMD marketing people reckon is the Intel P4 clock speed that it's equivalent to.

Tostino
26-09-05, 01:00
The "3700" etc numbers are simply what the AMD marketing people reckon is the Intel P4 clock speed that it's equivalent to.
Yeah, in a market of stupid people it's hard for AMD beacuse their highest chip is only runing at 2.4. While Intel get their chips to 3.8. They bolth need to get away from marking their prossesors on the GHz scale, mainly beacuse no matter what they say a amd X64 4800 does not like a 4.8, or it doesn't even matter if it does. AMD proved that clock speed isn't the only way to get a faster prossesor.

IceStorm
26-09-05, 01:34
Does it crash when NC is in DX7 mode?

Stryker198
26-09-05, 04:38
what are you ram timmings ? what are the rails on the psu? can you moniter the 12v rail on your psu using a dmm under load and idle for me ? and for the note amd 64's have gotten over 4ghz on a 6 stage cascade.

kurai
27-09-05, 03:15
They bolth need to get away from marking their prossesors on the GHz scale...
Intel are eventually moving away from that, having finally accepted that their current P4 architecture (`netburst`) just isn't scaling up with frequency as well as they'd hoped.

In fact, clock for clock, the P4Mobile architecture derived mainly from development of the old P3 core is actually much more efficient than the supposedly more `advanced` P4 desktop cores.

In certain situations a 2Ghz P4Mobile (on a decent memory bus, not generally found in notebooks) can whip the ass of the latest screaming 3.7Ghz P4 Extreme desktop CPU.

Hence Intel's future roadmap is putting heavy emphasis on new cores heavily based on the P3 architecture - the tricky part is getting stuff like hyperthreading and multi-cores to work efficiently in that layout without the very long netburst pipeline.

Kozmos
27-09-05, 03:36
Intel are eventually moving away from that, having finally accepted that their current P4 architecture (`netburst`) just isn't scaling up with frequency as well as they'd hoped.

In fact, clock for clock, the P4Mobile architecture derived mainly from development of the old P3 core is actually much more efficient than the supposedly more `advanced` P4 desktop cores.

In certain situations a 2Ghz P4Mobile (on a decent memory bus, not generally found in notebooks) can whip the ass of the latest screaming 3.7Ghz P4 Extreme desktop CPU.

Hence Intel's future roadmap is putting heavy emphasis on new cores heavily based on the P3 architecture - the tricky part is getting stuff like hyperthreading and multi-cores to work efficiently in that layout without the very long netburst pipeline.

er bit off topic but...

where the bloody hell have you been ? :O

kurai
27-09-05, 05:06
Stopped playing last December or so.

Click 2 Fuckup did something obtuse and retarded and expired my account and I just couldn't bring myself to care enough to jump through all their fucking hoops to correct whatever it was they screwed.

(I wonder just how many other customers KK have permanently lost because Click2Pay ARE FUCKING BROKEN)

Newsflash 10Tacle accountant guys - I don't know what byzantine arrangement of financing deals seemingly forced Click2Pay on KK, but the phrase `shot yourself in the foot` springs to mind. With a fusion cannon.

Going from the admitted clusterfuck that was CDV to a shiny new publisher but breaking your revenue collection method along the way doesn't strike me as a great step forward.

.... B R E A T H E . . . . and relaaaaaax.

Sorry for the rant - sometimes the seeming lunacy of the decision making process just gets too much for me to watch silently ;)

Aaaaanyway - that aside ... I have cycles of coming back and reading the boards every now and again (can't quite kick the last of that Neocrack habit).

That being said - from what I read it always seems the same old, old, *old* style problems and practices abound, so I quickly lose the temptation to take up the addiction full time and actually play again :(

coppertop
29-09-05, 00:28
Dont know if this is relavent or not, but for a while after I finally got my account reactivated NC frequently caused my PC to do a full reboot. For the most part it seemed to happen when I was caving or involved in PvP.

It took me a while (and thx for the lack of help tech support :) but I finally figured out the problem. Maybe you should try it as well.

I have a soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card and it seems that NC has a problem with it. I reduced the hardware acceleration to basic acceleration and now NC works fine, with ZERO reboots and the sound still works fine in game.

Kozmos
29-09-05, 02:13
Dont know if this is relavent or not, but for a while after I finally got my account reactivated NC frequently caused my PC to do a full reboot. For the most part it seemed to happen when I was caving or involved in PvP.

It took me a while (and thx for the lack of help tech support :) but I finally figured out the problem. Maybe you should try it as well.

I have a soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card and it seems that NC has a problem with it. I reduced the hardware acceleration to basic acceleration and now NC works fine, with ZERO reboots and the sound still works fine in game.

Ive had a audigy2 for nearly 2 years now and never had problems like that with NC, infact only problem i have seems to be with anything Source based where the sound goes all haywire till i reboot

coppertop
29-09-05, 11:44
Ive had a audigy2 for nearly 2 years now and never had problems like that with NC, infact only problem i have seems to be with anything Source based where the sound goes all haywire till i reboot

Maybe its just something to do with my setup, but regardless of that, reducing the hardware acceleration of my sound card solved the problem. Its always worth trying.

;)

Dargeshaad
29-09-05, 11:57
Maybe its just something to do with my setup, but regardless of that, reducing the hardware acceleration of my sound card solved the problem. Its always worth trying.

;)
I get the same thing in the new Dragonshard game...randomly I'd get this loud noise form my speakers and after a few secs the screen will go all blue and my system freezes. Funny thing is that Creative is aware their sound cards are flawed, but meh what are you going to do about it?