PDA

View Full Version : Doing something usefull with Psi-shield spell

Lifewaster
24-09-05, 10:07
Currently this spell is redundant , reduced years ago to self cast only due to its total gimpdness whereby it instantly emptys your mana pool every time you get hit by anything harder then a roach.

So I had a thought ,what about KK doing something with this spell that could simultaneously fix what many players see to be a bigger problem, ie parashock.

Without nerfing parashock, psi-shield could be re-invented as a counter to para.

The beauty is that psi-shield already exists in code as a 2 min buff, with its own unique stack icon , it also has a normal, blessed and holy version.

So in order to re-invent it as anti-para , all KK need to do is retain the icon , retain the duration , but recode the effect to function as a zero-speed-impairment parashock. Then change it back to allow foreign cast.

So in effect , any player with a 2 min psi shield on , will be wearing a 2 min nib-para instead.

#####

And with the existence of the normal/blessed/holy versions , these can simply have their freqs changed.

normal = 6/min
blessed = 12/min
holy = 20/min

So, PEs could cast the buff , but will take 10 seconds to do so.
Hybrids could cast it in 5 seconds
PPUs could cast it in 3 seconds.

#######

Regarding the visual effects of the spell , maybe it could be given a blue S/D type effect as it doesnt currently have any. This would also help attackers to tactically see if the buff is on their enemy.

#######

It will I suppose become more difficult for PPUs at ops when every fighter will then be asking for psi-shield in addition to S/D , thats a 20 freq cast in addition to the two previous 42 freq casts , or effectively twice the time needed then previously doing just S/D ........but thats a price many would willingly pay I expect.

#######

Regarding the personal invinciblity of PPUs and PEs with such a buff, Holy Antibuff could be adjusted to also remove psi-shield, and if a Para does land then the stacking issues would prevent recast of psi-shield for the duration of the para. Thus the PPU would have to cast anti-para to first remove the para before casting the 3 sec psi-shield , which gives ample time to re-para him.

Thus PPUs themselves would not become significantly more unkillable then they currently are.

######

Regarding the PARA->DB->HAB->GANK routine favored by some , well this will still be possible if thats your thing , except it will take a little more skill and timing between the ppu and apu in order to do so, since the PPU will now have to time his para to land after the hab has gone off. Which means the APU will now need some level of aiming skill to get the HAB successfully on...

######

Overall It seems like it could be a pretty viable solution.

sultana
24-09-05, 10:11
Kinda sorta.

Though no pe is capping the frequency on a tl 40 spell. Well, not without alot of gimpage/drugs on their behalf, and they'll probably be limited to the Tsunami Rifle.

The thing I dislike about this idea, is that it brings about the monks to combat monks effect even more O_o

(I would much rather see Parashock removed from the game, but that's just me)

LiL T
24-09-05, 10:13
Humm it might work out if getting parra cast on you, you lose all your mana and can't heal or rebuff etc.

Dargeshaad
24-09-05, 10:46
Make it foreign cast like it was back in the days and stick it on those retard PPUs.....yeeeehaw bye goes mana

Brammers
24-09-05, 11:58
Remind me what does PSI Shield do again?

ESP-Player
24-09-05, 12:01
When it is casted on yourself, mana drains when getting shot instead of life.. kind of like a 50%/50% of each when getting shot, i believe.

John.nl
24-09-05, 12:09
When it is casted on yourself, mana drains when getting shot instead of life.. kind of like a 50%/50% of each when getting shot, i believe.

And it was so much fun long long time ago when psi boosters were insta replenishing psi pool.

Asurmen Spec Op
24-09-05, 16:55
if you made PSI sheild a para sheild people would be MORE ppu dependant

Inchenzo
24-09-05, 16:56
psi shield to counter para, sounds perfectly sane to me :angel:

RogerRamjet
24-09-05, 17:56
Psi shield isnt redundant. Cast a low one on a PE and watch him lose hardly any HP in NF :p

Heavyporker
24-09-05, 20:16
Hm... PSU Shield changed to be para-shield. Not too shabby, I suppose.

But I still strongly insist that PSI Shield be an apu-based defense option.

And what would Para-shield do against freezer guns, hmm?

As time goes on, I keep liking the idea of a new tech-based Healer path, one that can be started upon by the Implanters.

virgil caine
24-09-05, 22:32
I still use it under certain circumstances. Can make the difference in survival with some mobs if you just need to get past them to get to someone to rezz.

Breakaway
26-09-05, 16:10
only time i use a psi sheild is on my ppu, i cast it on the enimy monks and while thry get hit they cannot cast spells as while they are being attacked it takes all their manna :p how evil :p

sultana
26-09-05, 16:23
only time i use a psi sheild is on my ppu, i cast it on the enimy monks and while thry get hit they cannot cast spells as while they are being attacked it takes all their manna :p how evil :p
You know you can't foreign cast psi-shield right?

eprodigy
27-09-05, 01:50
You know you can't foreign cast psi-shield right?
i would love to though.

i do have a question about psi shield, atm does it take the place of a regular shield or is it on top of s/d ?

Flub900
27-09-05, 03:25
edited

sultana
27-09-05, 04:02
i would love to though.

i do have a question about psi shield, atm does it take the place of a regular shield or is it on top of s/d ?
Afaik, it places it on top of the sd.

edit: Maybe they should just replace holy s/d with psi shield (which can be foreign cast) :p

Hoo-rah for the tanks :D

Breakaway
27-09-05, 14:35
hmm, i have casted it on people before. but it was ages ago

sultana
27-09-05, 14:36
hmm, i have casted it on people before. but it was ages ago
Yeah, ages ago.

Did they change that pre or post the hybrid nerf?

Breakaway
27-09-05, 14:44
yes, i think they did. that psi sheild was my only was to bugger up ppus, now i have to do alot of work to kill them, or just use my apu ;)

Zeninja
27-09-05, 20:55
PSI:
- Added several icons for PSI and made some minor graphical changes.
- The name of PSI spells is displayed through a tooltip when the mouse is moved over the "PSI Manipulation" Icon in the R.P.O.S. mode.
- PSI Shield can now only be casted on caster.
- Damageboost can no longer be cast in safezones.
- Players with LE can now cast passive spells on other players with LE.
- PSI maximum damage raised to 541%. Changed formula a bit so that APU/PPU specialization is somewhat more rewarded.
- PPW now affects maximum damage.
- PSU does not affect maximum damage anymore, but has more effect on maximum rate of fire and range.
- Fixed the bug where Shelter or Deflector didn't work if cast in the wrong order.
- Adjusted ranks for PPU again.
- Released all skill points in the PSI subskills as well as all skill points in PSI Use.

NC1, March 2003.

zii
27-09-05, 21:31
The spell was fantastic when it could be foreign cast.
Make it foreign castable again and watch those PPUs/APUs run. :)

the idea looks good on paper. voted in favour.

ZoVoS
28-09-05, 04:14
i use psi sheild on my blessed hybreed when tunneling doy. its saved my life counless timers eating medi kits already heal/buffed/eating bosters. it gives u just enough time to run around a corner sometimes to save ur arse

and if im not mistaken its nither replaces or works with ur buffs it works over them. the sheild takes a battering drains ur pool THEN the remaining damage is applyed to deflector n shelter THEN to ur hp

all they need to do is change the order so the damage to the sheild is applyed to the S/D AND THEN the psi sheild then hp and it would be a totaly viable combat option

sultana
28-09-05, 05:35
Errr... We don't want monks becoming even more powerful then they already are :wtf:

ZoVoS
28-09-05, 05:38
Errr... We don't want monks becoming even more powerful then they already are :wtf:

it they made it work rite it would be useless for a monk to go up against a army because they all shoot him, his pool goes he cant re buff heal, but it would be realy usefull for those situations u realy dont want ur monk dieing,

also pure psi sheild is good when ur ressing because u just eat boosters =]