PDA

View Full Version : I did an evil thing last night. Eve-online.

Bugs Gunny
23-09-05, 14:22
I did an evil thing last night.

"They" convinced me to download and install eve-online and try out the 14 day free trial.
The character creation screen is amazing.
The tutorial is nice, but i just took it to the missions thing, i went solo from there.
Amazing graphics, a logical interface. No lag, no bugs. I have still to pvp (months away yet), but i love it how the economy is half player driven.
Then i checked out if i could buy an account with a char on it. WTF ????
450 euros for a gaming account?

Man, apparently time spent in this game is actualy worth something.

After traveling a few places, doing a couple missions, mining a bit i decided to log off with a grand finale. Noob with standardship attacks a merchant vessel and blow up within two seconds.

Tonight i'll go play it some more.

Al3X
23-09-05, 14:25
Do you want me to slap you around the room and scream: "Wake up! Wake up!" ?

I've played Eve for a month or see. Yes it's nice, Yes it's huge, Yes there are a lot of players. But PvP is beyond boring, and the game itself bores aswell very quickly. Its just one of those games that could have made it, but just missed that spark imo.

retr0n
23-09-05, 14:30
I tried the 14 day trial thingy a while back, it was fun and all the first day or two
because it was nice graphics and interface and all that...

After two days though, it became very boring. Once your skills take 7+ days to
level it's not as exciting as before =/

Asurmen Spec Op
23-09-05, 14:30
That game is boring

I play MMOs to do things other than press two to three buttoms every 10 min

Riddle
23-09-05, 14:35
That game is boring

I play MMOs to do things other than press two to three buttoms every 10 min
You don't research then? ;)

Asurmen Spec Op
23-09-05, 14:36
You don;t research then? ;)

Not very much yaaayyyyy

Seven
23-09-05, 14:39
Eve Online = cure for insomnia.

Selendor
23-09-05, 14:52
Cancelled my eve subscription because all I was logging in for was to start another skill learning. That said, I guess if you know a load of people in the game, a nice clan etc, then it potential is huge to forge your own pocket of space and make all sorts of juicy politics and scheming.

Edit just noticed new post icons on the forum

Nidhogg
23-09-05, 14:58
Thread moved.

N

Bugs Gunny
23-09-05, 15:50
Ingame politics heh?

Man, that is SOOOO not me :angel:

frkline
23-09-05, 16:19
started playing 2 days ago. saw the trailer video and i was hooked. the game is very well done and i think it's pretty fun having a nice dose of RP after a few years of nc.

Toxen
23-09-05, 20:29
*rubs hands together* another convert muwahaha

LiL T
23-09-05, 20:39
I did an evil thing last night.

"They" convinced me to download and install eve-online and try out the 14 day free trial.
The character creation screen is amazing.
The tutorial is nice, but i just took it to the missions thing, i went solo from there.
Amazing graphics, a logical interface. No lag, no bugs. I have still to pvp (months away yet), but i love it how the economy is half player driven.
Then i checked out if i could buy an account with a char on it. WTF ????
450 euros for a gaming account?

Man, apparently time spent in this game is actualy worth something.

After traveling a few places, doing a couple missions, mining a bit i decided to log off with a grand finale. Noob with standardship attacks a merchant vessel and blow up within two seconds.

Tonight i'll go play it some more.

Humm

Account selling in eve is illegal but its ok if its done with ingame cash, standard price is 100 million isk per 1 million skill points. Making isk from the station you are sat in is so easy if you know how ;) and thats trading across the whole region. In order to sell for profit, its takes some time and ressearch as well as waiting a bit of time to train those market skills up inorder to setup remote sell orders. I turned 60 million into 330million just logging on each day checking my market orders out but I know after some time playing the stuff that sells for certain prices in certain amounts :P

Do you want me to slap you around the room and scream: "Wake up! Wake up!" ?

I've played Eve for a month or see. Yes it's nice, Yes it's huge, Yes there are a lot of players. But PvP is beyond boring, and the game itself bores aswell very quickly. Its just one of those games that could have made it, but just missed that spark imo.

excuse me ?

Boring !! WTF ? did you try it in a big fleet battle or did you try and gank someone in a 1.0 security system in a noob ship or something.... :rolleyes: ?

paolo escobar
23-09-05, 20:42
Its a cool game, i tried to trial a while back and was impressed by the support offered and lack of lag and crashes.
Very in depth game with lots to do and see but the leveling aspect really killed it for me in the end. When u get to high lvl it can take months and afaik even as much as a year (real time) to learn the next skill. WTF is that all about?

Bugs Gunny
23-09-05, 20:45
I'm liking it more and more.

Now i gotta start looking into the economics and analyse the best ways to make profit.

Al3X
23-09-05, 21:02
Boring !! WTF ? did you try it in a big fleet battle or did you try and gank someone in a 1.0 security system in a noob ship or something.... :rolleyes: ?

Yes, i tried out big battles. It's exciting the first times, but I'm just more sticked to personal action, head to head, not machine to machine. But thats just my opinion.

retr0n
23-09-05, 21:22
Its a cool game, i tried to trial a while back and was impressed by the support offered and lack of lag and crashes.
Very in depth game with lots to do and see but the leveling aspect really killed it for me in the end. When u get to high lvl it can take months and afaik even as much as a year (real time) to learn the next skill. WTF is that all about?

When I did my trial, I think I read somewhere that it would take you three (3)
years to learn all skills in the game. But in those three years, they would implement
more skills, so you would still not be fully "capped".

Terayon
23-09-05, 21:28
Assuming you train one after the other instantly and train your skills as efficiently as possable first.

Its realy insane. Not that i mind though.

Also where are these big battles and how can i get into one?

imper1um
24-09-05, 07:28
Forget Eve Online. Lineage II is ftw if you want a MMORPG. Eve Online is too...slow. I played the Open and Closed Beta of Eve Online. It sucked. I went to go mine and passed out. I woke up with drool on my keyboard (yuck) and I was dead (go figure).

Asurmen Spec Op
24-09-05, 07:29
rofl lineage is as bad as GW

eprodigy
24-09-05, 19:00
i like it.. but it's a little too slow for me. it was fun in the start but me personally i dont really have the time to spend getting to the point where i can do anything id like to (IE: pvp). but i can see the draw of it if you have the proper time and drive to get good. one thing; even after i joined a corp and went mining with them to make a lot more money etc etc, the game still felt lonely...

and.. lineage2 sucks

Xian
26-09-05, 18:55
No lag? Haha... tell me that after a few 15 minute for one sector trips.

EVE is great in a corp. Shite solo, unless you just want to burn a little time every now and then.

Tostino
26-09-05, 19:31
rofl lineage is as bad as GW
Not if you play on a free server with nice rates (like my sexy L2 server). But in the offical it is boring as hell....

Seven
26-09-05, 21:13
Was going to try that one.

nobby
26-09-05, 22:42
Huxley for the win!

Breakaway
01-10-05, 03:39
A mate got me to play eve, he said its the best thing since sliced bread... i played it for like 3 hours and then had to uninstall it and chuck the game in the bin it was so crappy.

Bugs Gunny
01-10-05, 07:46
It's perfect coding, amazing graphics, extremely large world etc, lots of players..... yet, the pvp thign isn't realy what i like and traveling around is boring.

Torg
04-10-05, 17:20
your loose talk on eve made me try it. and yes, it's sort of relaxing and lot's of fun.

i think it'll keep me from playing neocron seriously for quite a while.

meet me there.... (of course i'm on the right side of twilight gua.. i mean.. minmatar)

Exioce
05-10-05, 03:24
i got me an account too. i delve into eve every once in a while so now i'm up to 5 million sp, with still very little idea of what i want to do. maybe i'll end up in an assault frig, or covert ops frig, who knows.

Torg
05-10-05, 12:32
atm i'm running on the hamster wheel of noob missions, but in the end i'll start a Minmatar Freedom Fighters Clan named "Twilight Guardian", or like. contact me by eve-mail "Torg Jupiter".

Xian
05-10-05, 14:10
It's perfect coding

:wtf:

Asurmen Spec Op
05-10-05, 19:21
to bad their perfect coding didnt make it a good game :lol:

Odin
05-10-05, 21:48
Huxley for the win!

Yup I see a 'large' future for console mmorpg's in the future. When you only have to code for one set of hardware it simplifies a lot. The only thing consoles have to solve when they get into it is the communication issues (although I've seen a nifty keyboard attachment for the xbox360 controller) without having it be a spam fest with the mic. Especially on the xbox360 mmorpg's will be interesting as they don't allow anything less then broadband connections.

Means more time can be spent on the development of the game itself then the Q&A and making sure the game runs on a half million configurations.

giga191
05-10-05, 21:51
could i put win xp on an xbox 360 and run it like a normal PC? it's got some nice stuff in it

Xian
06-10-05, 13:41
could i put win xp on an xbox 360 and run it like a normal PC? it's got some nice stuff in it

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but as far as I know the 360 is using PowerPC chips, which means they're not x86, which means normal copies of Windows and associated software won't work.

Torg
06-10-05, 17:53
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but as far as I know the 360 is using PowerPC chips, which means they're not x86, which means normal copies of Windows and associated software won't work.ur right, its powerpcs, like in an ibook. try os x instead. hrhr.

solling
06-10-05, 19:54
scary thing is u dont really have to play it to actually play it wierd lvling system

Njall
06-10-05, 20:01
I have still to pvp (months away yet), but i love it how the economy is half player driven.

Take a frigate, one webbifier, one warp scrambler, one Afterburner or Micro Warp Drive, some nice guns and you can go PvP... just be careful to not attack the wrong one (and beware of Concord, they're a lot nastier than the copbots).

LiL T
06-10-05, 23:16
I have still to pvp (months away yet)

Just want to warn you now should you start killing people... you will LOSE security status and its not as easy as running 3 missions in the aggies. Try 6 mouths of casual NPCing 5 hours a day maybe. But being a criminal in this game is very cool and very doable with planning. I have never entered empire space on littleterror for more than 1 minute for over 1 year and the times I did enter it. I use instant jump bookmarks while flying a shuttle simply to get from A to B and that don't happen offen since there are many targets where I hang out in.

You may have even seen the red flashing lights in the systems of Egghelende, Amamake, Siseide and dal thats us and we will kill anything trying to pass through our systems. We make our isk by charging people on a weekly basis, so that they can mine hunt npc's or simply travel safely with valuable cargo. Apart from that we also make isk from the ships we destroy and will use the junk mods drop from them too make our ammo, we send on average about 50 people to the cloning station each day and sometimes hundreds :p

As for when to start pvping, you can start pvping from day one don't let anyone tell you it takes months. Its risky but if you pick your targets carefully you can get big isk, take a mining battleship in a 0.4 system for example. Hes got fu*king mining lasers fitted and he will be a carebear most likely and allways check player age. What I mean by that is right click his name from local and check is employment history, go down and find he first corp which will be an NPC corp. If he is less than 6 months old he will have allready shit his pants or will not know wtf is going on, because its likely to be his first battleship, you will also crapping your self.

The first PVP in eve allways makes you shit bricks and thats because you have alot too lose but with time you gain an edge over non pvpers but this is the drug of eve. The drug that keeps people playing the game with other stuff mixed in, It can take months of effort to make billions and that can all be lost within seconds. If you make one stupid mistake, like jumping into Siseide when we are online in a faction issued battleship worth allmost 700 million alone and with mods fitted to it worth another 1 billion, then we kill your arse.

I'm liking it more and more.

Now i gotta start looking into the economics and analyse the best ways to make profit.

Simple train trade skills so you can remote sell stuff region wide and get around 100 max market orders to start with at least. Buy tritanium regoin wide with a minium volume of 1 million units at above the current regoin wide price. Now wait and check that the other people have not rasied there prices, sell for standard price.

How this works

Well you got miners who make more money faster if they sell on the spot then they would by setting up a market order to sell it. They sell to you at a lot less for instant cash and then you set it up for sale for the producers (builders)

You need to make sure you set a minium volume other wise you will end up with lots and lots of low volumes spread over hundreds of systems on thousands of stations. This is far from the best way or the most profitable way to make cash ^^ you can figure the other ways out you self but as a hint named modules and Tech 2 gear reselling but you have to understand what sells well and at what price.

solling
07-10-05, 09:42
never appealed to me being a spaceship and all

Cerbious
08-10-05, 12:28
played it for 5 months when i left nc (i thourght for good). Lvl'd pretty far found my self in the second largest corp Eve Defence Force (nice peeps) but it is too hard to get to PvP!!! and too annoying to get money. I ended up leaving it and coming back to NC for some easy, fun propper fighting... though i never got to fight in Eve. My corp was in a massive allaince which owned a area of space and had large scale fleet battles with like 80 odd peeps or more apprently.

u think i would stay?

WRONG, Neocron cravings are to strong for all of us.. lets face it guys we have all tried to get subsitutes but nothing can compare.. nothing can get ur blood boiling or your heart racing or even the hairs on the back of ur neck standing up like soldiers. Nothing can compare to finishing a duel and having to let go of the keyboard and mouse and breath deeply as ur shaking! YES we have our bugs and our crashes could this just be a adventurous eleiment to the game? :P

nobby
08-10-05, 23:43
Yup I see a 'large' future for console mmorpg's in the future. When you only have to code for one set of hardware it simplifies a lot. The only thing consoles have to solve when they get into it is the communication issues (although I've seen a nifty keyboard attachment for the xbox360 controller) without having it be a spam fest with the mic. Especially on the xbox360 mmorpg's will be interesting as they don't allow anything less then broadband connections.

Means more time can be spent on the development of the game itself then the Q&A and making sure the game runs on a half million configurations.

Whoa...Odin took the piss out of my post!

eprodigy
12-10-05, 08:46
thanks for making this thread bugs. made me start playing eve again and i realized how much i enjoy it over neocron. i mentioned some parts are boring... even watching a ship suck ore out of an asteroid is more fun then crashocron atm :rolleyes:

i still find it funny when i play other mmo's and see people complaining about lack of players. damn eve is really off peak atm only 6000 people :(

edit: sry for the mini bump i just realized.

Torg
12-10-05, 11:46
i'm still enjoying EVE, thanks to Bugs G. as well, i'm having a nice time as a noob in a ridiculously tiny ship, but:

EVE is not really comparable to NC. well, theyre both games, and online, but while NC is an FPS with a reasonable sized RPG background, EVE is a tactical game (slower action) with less RP and more 4X. The most fun i'm having in EVE by now is exploring new areas and achieving new items, and i think this'll last for a long time.

sure, it's funny to see an evening peak of 16000 players online in EVE, and experience a zone (solar system) start lagging at 250 players. so what.

i think i will extend my EVE trial to a paid account, but im also sure that this is just some sort of holiday time. i will be back to NC sooner or later.