PDA

View Full Version : Need a motherboard

giga191
20-09-05, 22:08
OK I got myself an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB) and 1 gig of DDR2 ram. I currently have a dell dimension 4600 motherboard with a p4 2.6GHz, 1 gig of 3200 ram and a 6600GT. I need to know if I need a new motherboard or if I can fit that processor and/or ram in my current motherboard. If i need a new motherboard then what would you recommend?

Don't ask why I have those parts even though I don't know what to do with them because it's a long story...

Skusty
20-09-05, 22:25
pfff p4...im using amd but i got a MSI K8N nFORCE 4 Platinum, dunno if its in Pentium. buts its pretty good, but it can fuck up sometimes when you clock it. ( clock cpu with it ex )

giga191
20-09-05, 22:38
wouldn't be saying pff if you knew how much i paid for it

Darkana
21-09-05, 08:04
The manual of your motherboard should say what you can plug into it, that includes CPU and RAM. BIOS Updates can change this to a degree, but there are hard limits like the used sockets for the CPU and RAM sticks.

If you get it working, be a bit careful with this HT, certain applications won't start at all or get serious hickups while they are running. :(

giga191
21-09-05, 09:06
Think I'm just gonna get rid of my old dell motherboard because it won't run the ddr2 at it's full speed or it won't plug in at all. So anyone know any decent motherboards for the cpu, ram and it needs AGP slot? I would pay around £100-£130

whifix
21-09-05, 09:09
tomshardware.com does some nice reviews on mobos and stuff.

giga191
21-09-05, 12:10
i don't understand what socket my processor is. could someone tell me plz?

Skusty
21-09-05, 17:21
maybe you should go to the store and ask? well i talked to my mate he said that the memory might not fit or something... o_O

Darkana
21-09-05, 18:04
i don't understand what socket my processor is. could someone tell me plz?According to your description (P4 540) and this Intel Pentium 4 overview page (http://www.intel.com/design/pentium4/prodbref/) you probably need a mainboard supporting the 775 socket.

While back in time processors got soldered directly on the mainboard, nowadays all of them do have empty sockets to plug your CPU in. This allows for changing the CPU without getting a new mainboard. You have a number of different sockets for different CPUs. This means you have to make sure that your CPU fits into the socket the mainboard offers. To identify matching socket + CPU, numbers like the 775 are used.

giga191
21-09-05, 18:17
According to your description (P4 540) and this Intel Pentium 4 overview page (http://www.intel.com/design/pentium4/prodbref/) you probably need a mainboard supporting the 775 socket.

While back in time processors got soldered directly on the mainboard, nowadays all of them do have empty sockets to plug your CPU in. This allows for changing the CPU without getting a new mainboard. You have a number of different sockets for different CPUs. This means you have to make sure that your CPU fits into the socket the mainboard offers. To identify matching socket + CPU, numbers like the 775 are used. lol i'm not that big a noob :lol: even if i did buy a cpu without knowing what socket it was...
What i know about motherboards: they need to have the right socket for your CPU, they either have AGP or PCI-E slots for graphics card, some have serial-ATA for faster HD. What I don't know is what defines a good motherboard and what can support DDR2 ram (I think DDR2 = pc4000 but I'm not sure)

Darkana
21-09-05, 18:54
lol i'm not that big a noob :lol:Sorry giga :angel:

And well, to your question about good motherboards:
tomshardware.com does some nice reviews on mobos and stuff.

giga191
21-09-05, 19:44
struggling to find something that supports DDR2 and agp :(

giga191
21-09-05, 21:31
Duel ddr = ddr2?

Ideally I would like a motherboard with PCI-E, agp and ddr2

paolo escobar
21-09-05, 21:31
Have u actually tried looking somewhere that sells computer components?

Do you even know what half of this stuff is or were you just impressed by the jargon and cheap price?

paolo escobar
21-09-05, 21:46
Duel ddr = ddr2?

Ideally I would like a motherboard with PCI-E, agp and ddr2

LOL good luck with that.

You either choose PCI-E or AGP and tbh it dont really matter atm, the ppl who say it does are either trying to sell you a PCI-E gfx card/motherboard OR they have brought one and are trying to justify it to themselves.

giga191
21-09-05, 21:59
LOL good luck with that.

You either choose PCI-E or AGP and tbh it dont really matter atm, the ppl who say it does are either trying to sell you a PCI-E gfx card/motherboard OR they have brought one and are trying to justify it to themselves. well ideally i would like it to be future proof but atm i don't feel like buying a PCI-E card since i already have a 6600GT.

The reason why I'm looking for a motherboard is because a) dunno if my new cpu will fit in my old motherboard b) i would like one to use my ddr2 ram c) my PC runs slower than it should and the only reason i can think of is because of my motherboard and/or cpu.

If your wondering why I have those new parts, then it's because I got an extremely good deal on a 19" flatscreen, p4 3.2, 1 gig DDR2 and windows xp pro (was a bundle and it costs less than the cheapest 19" on it's own)

and btw motherboards do exist with PCI-E and AGP but I'm struggling to find one with ddr2 as well. Still don't know if duel ddr = ddr2

darkservent
21-09-05, 22:18
well ideally i would like it to be future proof but atm i don't feel like buying a PCI-E card since i already have a 6600GT.

The reason why I'm looking for a motherboard is because a) dunno if my new cpu will fit in my old motherboard b) i would like one to use my ddr2 ram c) my PC runs slower than it should and the only reason i can think of is because of my motherboard and/or cpu.

If your wondering why I have those new parts, then it's because I got an extremely good deal on a 19" flatscreen, p4 3.2, 1 gig DDR2 and windows xp pro (was a bundle and it costs less than the cheapest 19" on it's own)

and btw motherboards do exist with PCI-E and AGP but I'm struggling to find one with ddr2 as well. Still don't know if duel ddr = ddr2

Yes there was a motherboard with both PCI-E and AGP, just recently saw it on Tomshardware. I think it was a ASROCK, though it WASN'T Intel if I remember rightly. Oh and the memory, DDR2 is pretty much or should I say widely used in all MBs. If I had a Mic I woulda gone through it on Vent but my shits broken atm.

Asurmen Spec Op
21-09-05, 22:24
Yes there was a motherboard with both PCI-E and AGP, just recently saw it on Tomshardware. I think it was a ASROCK, though it WASN'T Intel if I remember rightly. Oh and the memory, DDR2 is pretty much or should I say widely used in all MBs. If I had a Mic I woulda gone through it on Vent but my shits broken atm.
know where I can find one with PCI-E and AGP for AMD?

darkservent
21-09-05, 22:26
know where I can find one with PCI-E and AGP for AMD?

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050916/asrock-08.html

Voila! Knew I wasnt imagining something. Its not a great board but does the job.

giga191
21-09-05, 22:45
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=9017&GroupID=556There's one with pci-e and agp for p4 but i really don't know what makes a difference in a motherboard apart from compatibility with other components

TBH i don't know what ddr2 is but it sounds faster. Is it correct that it is hard to find ddr2 and AGP motherboards? Or is it that some of them just don't write that they can use it / it is written in a different way?

EDIT: http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_detail.asp?stype=5&productcode=1430-5010&group=MOT775&pgroup=MOT
There's this one aswell but i've never heard of agp express or if my gfx card will fit into it

Asurmen Spec Op
21-09-05, 22:51
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050916/asrock-08.html

Voila! Knew I wasnt imagining something. Its not a great board but does the job.
I cant see it on there, but whats the most ram itll take?
Ive got 2.5 GB of DDR 333 ram

darkservent
21-09-05, 22:56
I cant see it on there, but whats the most ram itll take?
Ive got 2.5 GB of DDR 333 ram

Its the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, check there website but it should take 4 gigs ram, but check and make sure (didnt say on the review).

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=9017&GroupID=556There's one with pci-e and agp for p4 but i really don't know what makes a difference in a motherboard apart from compatibility with other components

TBH i don't know what ddr2 is but it sounds faster. Is it correct that it is hard to find ddr2 and AGP motherboards? Or is it that some of them just don't write that they can use it / it is written in a different way?

EDIT: http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_detail.asp?stype=5&productcode=1430-5010&group=MOT775&pgroup=MOT
There's this one aswell but i've never heard of agp express or if my gfx card will fit into it

Yea them two as well, ASRock I would check out as there more known than whatever the other make is. As for ram yes DDR2 is fast, as ur RAM is DDR 3200 it is DDR 2 and should be fine, bet check with the motherboard manufacturers to see if the particular make is supported.

Asurmen Spec Op
21-09-05, 23:09
Hm, would DDR333 work in that?
I havent done anything on my comp and Im sick as hell today, srry for stupid questions :/

Frube
21-09-05, 23:13
wouldn't be saying pff if you knew how much i paid for it

Probably would because for the same price you could of got a much better AMD equivalent CPU ;) P4's are overpriced pieces on Intel shit tbh :p

Anyway i'd just look around, go for Asus or Abit, they're both ace and reliable motherboard makers.

Stryker198
21-09-05, 23:19
this is what you want (http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8VT880P%20Combo.htm)

it has agp, pci express, ddr and ddr2 compatibility. the ddr2 compatibility is achieved using ddr2 to ddr adapters.

Asurmen Spec Op
21-09-05, 23:23
this is what you want (http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8VT880P%20Combo.htm)

it has agp, pci express, ddr and ddr2 compatibility. the ddr2 compatibility is achieved using ddr2 to ddr adapters.
good old gigabyte, I have a gigabyte mobo right now, but I want to get a AMD :)

Id recomend strker's gigabyte is a teh pwn company imo

darkservent
21-09-05, 23:26

Yea go for gigabyte over Asrock. Good make and reliable from what Ive heard.

good old gigabyte, I have a gigabyte mobo right now, but I want to get a AMD :)

Id recomend strker's gigabyte is a teh pwn company imo

hmmm and I take it you wanna keep your AGP GFX. I know that if I were gettin another AMD MB Id go for Asus A8N SLI Premium.

Asurmen Spec Op
21-09-05, 23:30
hmmm and I take it you wanna keep your AGP GFX. I know that if I were gettin another AMD MB Id go for Asus A8N SLI Premium.
Well my AGP is pretty awsome, so I want to keep it till I can afford a PCIe

BadB
22-09-05, 03:07
Hmmm, as far as i know there is no Mobo available that supports ddr2 and have a agp slot.

but maybe you ll find one... good luck

MrTrip
22-09-05, 05:05
I know exactly what you need to run Neocron2 like the pros

http://www.adamant.com/pictures/boards/tyan_S2895_A2NRF.jpg

http://www.adamant.com/mbkitsbr.asp?GotoID=MKB&SystID=MBKMBTK8-S2895UA2&menu=SYSLINE6

That can help keep CPU usage more around 70% instead of 90-100% :lol:

Or if you want some better graphics, maybe something that will support this

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190035&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1

:lol: :lol:

In all seriousness....hmm...I would go AMD route o_O

Asurmen Spec Op
22-09-05, 05:07
I know exactly what you need to run Neocron2 like the pros

http://www.adamant.com/pictures/boards/tyan_S2895_A2NRF.jpg

http://www.adamant.com/mbkitsbr.asp?GotoID=MKB&SystID=MBKMBTK8-S2895UA2&menu=SYSLINE6

That can help keep CPU usage more around 70% instead of 90-100% :lol:

Or if you want some better graphics, maybe something that will support this

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190035&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1

:lol: :lol:

In all seriousness....hmm...I would go AMD route o_O
My comp-e-penis is now really small :(

MrTrip
22-09-05, 05:11
My comp-e-penis is now really small :(

And whos to say it was ever big?

Its probably bigger then mine at least :(

But TBH, I run Neocron on a shitty PC and it actually runs pretty damn well, except for FPS, but I will be getting a better card to help that a tad bit

AMD Athlon XP 2.0ghz
640 Meg DDR (psh like I know wich kind...)
ASUS A7S333 Motherboard (Original processor and motherboard was an ECS board with a 1.2ghz AMD, ECS is shit, I smashed it in my driveway, got an ASUS then got a faster chip) :D

80gb WD
60gb WD

Windows 2000 Professional

o_O Thats uh about it...

Asurmen Spec Op
22-09-05, 05:14
And whos to say it was ever big?

Its probably bigger then mine at least :(

P4 3.0 GHZ
2.5GB DDR 333 ram
ATI X850 something or other

alll my butiful monies all gone :(

MrTrip
22-09-05, 05:41
Told you it was better.

giga191
23-09-05, 16:42

it has agp, pci express, ddr and ddr2 compatibility. the ddr2 compatibility is achieved using ddr2 to ddr adapters. Indeed it is. Good work my minions!

As for being able to get a better AMD for the same price that I paid for the P4, I highly doubt it because I got a 19" monitor 1 gig ddr2 ram and win xp for the price of the processor ;)

giga191
23-09-05, 22:45
could i put 3200 ram in with the ddr2 to make it 2 gigs? Or will it just put my ddr2 down to 3200 speed?

Asurmen Spec Op
23-09-05, 22:47
Anyone wanna help me?
Im looking for a pretty good Mobo/chip

any amd 64, PCIe and AGP,
atleast 4 gig max of ram, must take ddr333

anyone wanna help assman?

giga191
24-09-05, 00:50
OMG this thread just went into duel mode.

Asurmen Spec Op
24-09-05, 01:05
zomg!

darkservent
24-09-05, 12:24
Ok firstly Giga and asurman post the exact brand of your memories and model number if you can get to it, All the info is on the mem modules. All this talk of memories like making mince of my brains.

giga191
24-09-05, 13:23
Currently I have 2x: 512mb ddr 400Mhz-CL3, PC3200U-30330, M2U51264DS8HC3G-5T

I'm guessing the last number is the model number

As for my new memory, it hasn't been delivered yet but it's called 1024Mb Dual Channel DDR2. I'm guessing it's 2 x 512mb

darkservent
24-09-05, 13:44
Currently I have 2x: 512mb ddr 400Mhz-CL3, PC3200U-30330, M2U51264DS8HC3G-5T

I'm guessing the last number is the model number

As for my new memory, it hasn't been delivered yet but it's called 1024Mb Dual Channel DDR2. I'm guessing it's 2 x 512mb

Is there a make on the current one and the one that u gettin?

giga191
24-09-05, 14:54
elixir is the one i have atm, dunno about the one i am getting

Asurmen Spec Op
24-09-05, 16:51
Ok firstly Giga and asurman post the exact brand of your memories and model number if you can get to it, All the info is on the mem modules. All this talk of memories like making mince of my brains.
Righto, let me look em up :)

Ill try, but I have 4 different companise in there rofl :/

giga191
24-09-05, 18:18
OMFG they called me and said that there was a pricing error on their website. Guess i won't be getting all that stuff :p

The good news is that because i did some work experience there, they said that they will only charge me what it costs them to buy stuff :)

Any idea of how much cheaper they can buy stuff for?

darkservent
28-09-05, 19:51
OMFG they called me and said that there was a pricing error on their website. Guess i won't be getting all that stuff :p

The good news is that because i did some work experience there, they said that they will only charge me what it costs them to buy stuff :)

Any idea of how much cheaper they can buy stuff for?

Not sure about DDR 2 should be around 70 UK pounds (dunno in dollars). I got my corsair valueselect 1 gig DDR dual channel for 56 inc P&P from ebay at 56 which I thought is a good deal.

The gigabyte combo board FYI supports both DDR1 and 2 modules but I think only one can be used at a time so its either DDR1 or 2. Also there is a 4 slots a pair for DDR1 and a pair for DDR2 so if I am right about the ability to use only one type then 2 gigs of memory should be supported. If you want a good board stick with the GB, couldnt find anyother combo boards apart from ASROCK and this.

giga191
28-09-05, 22:19
How much cheaper do factory vendors sell stuff for? (no VAT and less added value).

LiL T
28-09-05, 22:47
What is so good about having and AMD CPU over the pentium apart from its cheaper ..

My dads new PC is using one after I recommed it too him, its meant to be faster and well it don't look much faster than my 1.7 P4 cpu :rolleyes: he does get better FPS in games but his video card is many generations above mine.

Stryker198
29-09-05, 02:33
asureman if you use mor than 2 sticks of memory on an athlon64 it will decrease your performane because it will beforce to run the memory at 2t instead of 1t comand rate and why not use ddr400 ? your kilin your performance with the decreased bandwith.

Asurmen Spec Op
29-09-05, 02:50
asureman if you use mor than 2 sticks of memory on an athlon64 it will decrease your performane because it will beforce to run the memory at 2t instead of 1t comand rate and why not use ddr400 ? your kilin your performance with the decreased bandwith.
I have 2 1gbs and a 512 iirc, they are DDR 333 and I wont be able to replace them anytime soon

Stryker198
29-09-05, 03:27
well if you use the 512 stick then it will run 64bit memory acess and 2t comand rate so you would get best performance with an athlon 64 just using the 2 1gig sticks.

Asurmen Spec Op
29-09-05, 03:33
Righto, I prolly still want 4 slots, incase I get more 1gb rams :)

yeah fucking right