PDA

View Full Version : Curse you NetCode!!!

Serious_Sam
20-09-05, 14:02
I'm in clan TFC, and normally during OP fights i'm on my PPU (Sap) or M-C Tank (Zangief). Normally i'm on as the PPU, but recently, if there are more than like, 3 people all attacking and rushing about, my frames just drop to an average of 3. Normally indoors it can reach to about 40-50, but i'll be lucky if it hits double figures.

Another thing, it can drive a man to INSANITY when you're trying to heal someone, and on the third attempt the heal sticks, but then that person just drops dead with full health (according to my screen).

Is it just me?

Scanner Darkly
20-09-05, 14:49
Hi I normally play my APU (EoS) or tank (Bukow) when we attack your OPs. Having a computer buit after the industrial revolution and a good connection, I don't seem to be experiencing these problems. People's health bar seems to get whittled away at a constant and consistent rate when we bring the law down on them. If you're really having this many problems I wouldnt stick to playing your tank or some non PPU character, dude.

I know what you mean tho, when I played on my laptop I had similar issues on my PPU, but then that was in NC1 and with a 56k connection...

What kind of hardware are you running on and what connection?

Serious_Sam
20-09-05, 14:54
Well, this computer has 768 RAM, i don't have the crazy vegetation or uber details. The processor is at 2.63GHz, so i believe it could be my router (Netgear). i'm running a 1Meg connection (soon to be pushed up to 3), but still, this game needs proper server/client side synchronisation.

Oh, and respect for the Samurai Champloo avatar.

Original monk
20-09-05, 15:02
nah its not yust you, i can have the same as with healing someone 3 times ... ATLAST it sticks and bam dead :/ (while it says full hp :/ )

in the doy3 caves when around an MKII assaultbot this is normal but in any other place it isnt :)

i dont have the problems my frames drop tough when 3 people attack, not inside not outside, frames, pings and BW stay pretty stable lately in NC2 (in contrary to NC1 saturn sometimes lol )

Scanner Darkly
20-09-05, 15:15
Thanks, perhaps I'm the wrong person to comment now, as I haven't PPUed my clan for a while, not since about 6 patches back. I do remember people suddenly falling dead from half health and such.

I think the best thing to do is get your clan mates to tell you when they're getting seriously hit and low on health so you can get to them in time (vent's your friend).

With a decent graphics card and that setup I don't see why you fps should drop so low. I have 1gig ram a pedestrian AIW 9800SE and a 2Ghz Athlon 64 and other than the occasional glitch, my fps never drops to a level when it bothers me at an OP fight. Certainly not at those with less than 20 people participating.

Serious_Sam
20-09-05, 16:39
I think the best thing to do is get your clan mates to tell you when they're getting seriously hit and low on health so you can get to them in time (vent's your friend).

Yea, we're all on Vent, and i tell you, some of my clan mates are nuts when it comes to shouting for heals. "I need a HEAL!!" 'Where are you?' "OVER HERE!!!".

So yea, madness washes over me...

Scanner Darkly
20-09-05, 17:24
Nice Gaara avatar btw.

We're actually surprisingly calm on vent - except for my occasional outbursts of over-excitement :lol:

\/\/\/good advice\/\/\/

Bishop Yutani
20-09-05, 17:27
sounds like the computer setup is fine. Are you sure you arent running any bandwidth hogs in the background, like a peer 2 peer or file sharing app or anything? Also, my friend had a lot of problems when he had "on access scanning" running in his virus scanner.

when i play nc, i turn off everything before logging in, just in case some app wants to update itself or whatever. Instant Messengers too.

Nvidia
20-09-05, 22:14
I'm in clan TFC, and normally during OP fights i'm on my PPU (Sap) or M-C Tank (Zangief). Normally i'm on as the PPU, but recently, if there are more than like, 3 people all attacking and rushing about, my frames just drop to an average of 3. Normally indoors it can reach to about 40-50, but i'll be lucky if it hits double figures.

Another thing, it can drive a man to INSANITY when you're trying to heal someone, and on the third attempt the heal sticks, but then that person just drops dead with full health (according to my screen).

Is it just me?

Maybe it's just me, but the only thing that would have a significant enough effect on your framerate is the one thing you didn't mention.

You didn't say what kind of video card you're running(I didn't see it listed, at least). If you have a 2.6 GHZ processor and 768 megs of RAM, that means the only thing keeping you down is a crappy video card.

I remember when I ran NC2 with a Nvidia 5600 Ultra. It was total shit, and I rarely if ever got myself above 20 FPS. Once I bought a 6800GT though, all those problems went far, far away, and I'm using only 512 megs of RAM.

If you're being serious about the 3 FPS thing, then you probably have a 5200 Ultra or a X300 SE or something along those lines. So, what kind of video card do you have?

Just to clarify (I don't know if you're blaming the netcode on your FPS or not, so please forgive me if I'm wrong) but the netcode in this game has nothing to do with your FPS. All the netcode does is player positioning and movement, ping, and issues realted to your connection. If you're talking about the issue you're having with healing your teammates, then it could be a netcode issue. Chances are though, unless everyone was reporting the same bug as you, then the problem is on your end, not KKs. So, there's no need to "curse the netcode!"

If you think you're having connection issues, go to yuor 'run' box and type in 'cmd'. Once you have that open, type 'tracert XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX' (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX being the IP address game launcher uses to connect to the game server). If you get any dead lines trying to ping the server, then there's something in the way of you playing smoothly, and usually means there's nothing you can do but wait for them to fix it. :\

Serious_Sam
21-09-05, 03:30
Well, my graphics card is a Radeon 9200.

I see what you're saying, i'm most probably getting things very mixed up. I'll try and see what i can do though.

Nvidia
21-09-05, 08:28
Well, my graphics card is a Radeon 9200.

I see what you're saying, i'm most probably getting things very mixed up. I'll try and see what i can do though.

Yes sir, that'll do it to you. If you have the money, buy a Nvidia 6600GT. An awesome bang-for-the-buck card that fully supports DirectX 9.0c, and Shader Model 3.0 (I believe).

With some new drivers, you should be very impressed with your FPS.

Seraphin[69]
21-09-05, 08:48
My experience is :

In the last patchs KK's fixed the netcode regarding player's positions, which is a good thing, but if you test with 2 computers, the "damages are lagging" meaning you don't see the damage going on another char immediately (sometimes even on yourself) and that's maybe what's causing you troubles.

To check this, it's simple. Get 7 people in a zone (for exemple). Ask one to attack another you are looking at : you'll see the damages. Ask one to attack someone you see on the left of your screen (for exemple still) and you will see the impacts, but you won't see his health going down immediately, but 2-3 secs after.

I already mentionned this to the helpdesk but I've been said : the char position is now fixed... maybe in a next patch !

[TgR]KILLER
21-09-05, 10:15
Yea, we're all on Vent, and i tell you, some of my clan mates are nuts when it comes to shouting for heals. "I need a HEAL!!" 'Where are you?' "OVER HERE!!!".

i know the sollution to that :p dun heal the enemy but your own <3

as you almost got my mc tank yesterday in the ug when i had a 50/50 sync finally got in second try but had 200 hlt because of psi attack hitting me. but cmaster was so friendly to give me a heal <3 so i could kill about 5 people before going down.

and yes i knew you all had si and needed pokes. just knew i had my mc down in the ug from last week and wanted to stall you some more so we could hack the op before you all were ready :p

but on topic.

i dun really have that on my comp din't notice it on my ppu really hardest is to aim at people because they run around trough all others like mad. but went pretty ok last 2 op fights.

Masentaja
21-09-05, 10:30
I do have medium fps, but once devourer steps in , and im in windowed mode, its goodbye FPS. details medium ,radeon 9600, 2.5ghz, 1gb ram.

And the health thing, I have that a lot. It's jst the same as clippings and all that. You throw heal, and your target is already dead with full hp.

whifix
21-09-05, 11:10
It's sad that I pull off the same framrate in Neocron 2 as I do with everything maxed out in Half Life 2. Something somewhere needs to be optimized.

-= System =-
Athlon Barton XP 3200+
1GB Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ V2
Nvidia 6800 GT'OC 256MB DDR3
240GB Raid 0 Array (2 x WD120GB Caviar SATA)

Scanner Darkly
21-09-05, 15:26
That being said, NC zones are far larger than HL2 "zones"/levels and have a lot of dynamically generated objects. I imagine this among other things puts a bigger strain on the pee cee.

I never run any game in windowed mode, definitely not if I'm fighting...

whifix
21-09-05, 18:33
Are you sure that the HL2 levels are smaller? Besides that I don't think level size is a accurate way of measuring processing load since your machine will only render items in proximity instead of the level in it's entirety at anyone given time. I would also think that the water, clounds, fire, reflective surfaces and electricity effects in HL2 would be categorically more classifiable as dynamic objects then some of the elements of NC2 but would love to hear your opinion. On top of that the physics engine in HL2 I'm sure should take up more processing power then that of NC2.

Morganth
21-09-05, 21:44
HL2 maps tend to be smaller, only because people never need them to be any bigger. In theory, you could remake NC using the Hammer Map Editor (HL2 Map Editor), seeing as it has various tricks to be able to handle 40+ players in the same area, plus dynamic objects, shadows, lighting, reflections and water. Personally I'm more interested in having NC remade using the engines that Dark and Light should be using, because it gives the world a nicer feel due to the AI capabilities.

Scanner Darkly
21-09-05, 23:45
However, notice how your free memory drops when people enter a zone (even if they're not near you). All these little things play a part.

I'm not singing the Tekktonic engine's praises, it's just that as it has been explained to me, it has a lot more things going on in there than a HL2 client. Hence the performance differences you mentioned. I get a lot better performance out of HL2 on something like CS Source too, but again it is like comparing golf and rocket polo (this sport will become popular around 2034).

whifix
22-09-05, 00:19
I see your point scanner however couldn't the extra memory usage in NC2 also be attributed to memory release errors or non optomized operations for tracking enviorment details? One really impressive thing though is load time of NC2 compared to other games out there. Also comparing rocket polo to rocket polo I don't see the as extreame resource allocation and framerate issues from games such as Lineage 2, Final Fantasy 11 (although why the heck does ping jump so high?), WoW and Anarchy Online.