PDA

View Full Version : Consolidation Of Servers

Toxen
11-09-05, 12:49
Well with the activation of the PVP servers we've seen populations shift significantly around the servers. Personally I think the PVP server at this time was a bad Idea it should have come after a round of advertising and we'ed got an influx new players, most of the 4-5 % that have increased the overall population are returning players taking a look at whats new with the pvp server. Personally I think it will kill off any remaining mainstream RP aspects of the game its basicly become a skill based FPS in which neocron looses its niche market. So may be the end for the game but then again it may flip if other things are sorted and we might hit that population explosion we need.

Anyway the point of this post is to suggest that Mars and Mercury be Merged with the Population on one of those mirroring that of pandore prior its conversion to neptune im sure the costs of maintaining the server are in excess of the revenue generated by those playing on it.

Morganth
11-09-05, 12:52
Well with the activation of the PVP servers we've seen populations shift significantly around the servers. Personally I think the PVP server at this time was a bad Idea it should have come after a round of advertising and we'ed got an influx new players, most of the 4-5 % that have increased the overall population are returning players taking a look at whats new with the pvp server. Personally I think it will kill off any remaining mainstream RP aspects of the game its basicly become a skill based FPS in which neocron looses its niche market. So may be the end for the game but then again it may flip if other things are sorted and we might hit that population explosion we need.

Anyway the point of this post is to suggest that Mars and Mercury be Merged with the Population on one of those mirroring that of pandore prior its conversion to neptune im sure the costs of maintaining the server are in excess of the revenue generated by those playing on it.

I agree, but I already see problems with that. Don't each of those servers have a different number of player slots? It would obviously mean the new server would have the larger number of slots (4 I think?), which would mean the people playing on the 2 slot server might complain, similar to how some Plutonians whined about having a 4 slot server that has turned into a baby Saturn.

It was a bit of a bad time to release Neptune really, although there seems to be a slow influx of new players, and hopefully the engine overhaul should bring in some more people if it goes as well as we hope it will.

aKe`cj
11-09-05, 13:10
which would mean the people playing on the 2 slot server might complain...

It is in fact even a 1-slot server... and approaches to increase the slot-number for mars/jupiter have repeatedly been rejected by its community ... and closing it down cant be considered an option at all ;)

Anyway.. I dont think this subject deserves a thread per day.. no matter wether you call it "Consolidation Of Servers" or "Server Consolidation?" (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=128214) :)

[VP]Orion
11-09-05, 13:21
Your forgetting one major thing. Neptune just started. Many people go there to see how it is. Will they stay? Who knows. I doubt it. Many others too. We were discussing it abit on vent yesterday. When loads of people start loosing their rares many of them will get pissed and tired and go back. Well, thats my guess atleast.

My point was that its way too early to draw any conclusions yet since theres only been a few days since it opened.

Toxen
11-09-05, 13:48
Hmm that rares issue is a point but I doubt many people will actually spend time hunting rares on neptune, think we're more likely to see people just running around with store boughts and non rares that can be made up en bulk especially with the higher slotage don't think rares will make all that difference. Whats more likely to piss people off is the fact they cap so fast ironically a big part of NC is just the grinding. But with neptune KK's gone and ripped the RP aspect from the game infact theres no reason to have Soulight or Faction Symp on Neptune should just stick everyone in CM and let rip.

Simply saying that Closing down either mercury is out of the question is blatantly ignorant. KK can do as it like's if it wants to, and over the issues of sever slots have shown on a few times they like to operate within pre determined boundries ie no Pluto for NC2. If Mercury's population continues to mirror that which pandore was prior to its conversion there is a decent basis for it to either be merged with mars or terra or be turned into a second pvp server based on how successful neptune is.

Tesee
11-09-05, 14:05
Terra : 9 %
Neptune : 22 %

If players don't come back, Terra is DEAD
last hope for Terra in my opinion, players are just visiting Neptune to see what hapens there

Toxen
11-09-05, 14:15
Those figures are kinda around the wrong time of day to take you need to get them about 2000 CEST, when you've still got the european players but are getting the US players aswell, its also a sunday so people are off having sunday lunch, going to church etc.

On aveage the past few nights the three main servers have been around 15% while mercury has struggled to attain 5%.

Darkana
11-09-05, 14:16
It seems to me like the total number of online players has risen. Naturally, the server counts don't reflect the total users online.

don't think rares will make all that differenceLooking at the damage output of rare weapons they make a difference.

aKe`cj
11-09-05, 14:42
Simply saying that Closing down either mercury is out of the question is blatantly ignorant.

...thats me, right? :lol:
I said merging mars with another server and increasing slots to 4 is not an option. Then I continued and said closing down MARS is no option either..and guess what: it is no option. Whats so fecking ignorant about it?
Would you think it is ignorant to say it aint an option to close terra? Terra and Mars arent to be touched - period... unless you want to drop a major part of the paying customers.
In my opinion its blatantly ignorant to ignore existing threads about a topic... it would save a lot of repitive statements ya know? :p

I'd rather expect to see merc merged with terra than with mars // closed down with free choice of transfer - if at all...which will depend on the success of the advertising campaign thats to be launched any time soon.

Seraphin[69]
11-09-05, 14:50
Great... I just moved my chars from a dead server (pandore) to another -going to be- dead server (terra).

I hope people won't stay on neptune honestly...

imper1um
11-09-05, 15:32

Don't know what you're smoking, but now servers are all getting % above 10 except 1 server. Were getting an increase of 200-300 players more online.

Tesee
11-09-05, 17:24
hey maybe I'm wrong, hope you're right...

LiL T
11-09-05, 18:03
I can't wait till all you negative attitude peeps get owned when the populations continue to rise

13% terra
30% neptune

yeah add them up comes over 400 players :rolleyes:

Toxen
11-09-05, 20:40
Yup it hit 30% but ur all looking at it through rose tinted glasses, a good portion of those aren't new players but simply old players returning to take a look at the fuss and if they left once they'll leave again. And for reference its been stated by gm/dev in other post that the overall population has only increased by about 4-5% and what happen when Neptune hit 30% this evening lag spikes followed by massive timeout of pritty much every player on the server... so we've already reached what could be considered the max capacity of one server without any real new income for kk so kk may need to cut costs somewhere in order to increase the capacity of neptune... which would come about by getting rid of one of the other servers which by sheer process of which server has the lowest average population, which is mercury.

aKe`cj you seem very defensive of something you have stated would never happen. Yet evidence of the past few weeks contradicts your statement, the levels that mercury is down to now are similar to those of pandores usual populace, and kk was willing to risk their custom by moving them to terra.

Average populations of primary servers Mars and Terra have been around 24% each making 480 peak time users with about 18%-20% on Mercury, with a gain of 4% and majority of mercury population moving to neptune aswell as a good portion of terra and mars. The figures speak for themselves.

And Lil T your way to opptimistic, PVP server is just a sugar coating sitting on top of a game that has some deep routed bugs once people have stopped walking around in awe of faster SI and Leveling, SL, No Safezones, No Belthacks, people will realise that the game is still the same as it was last week with a few tweaks on one server thats not all that different to the others.

eprodigy
11-09-05, 21:10
there was over 600 players on today total of servers

LiL T
11-09-05, 21:17
I'm an opptimistic person most times, all I'll say is give it time befor making predictions of doom and gloom, there was no lag anytime today while I lvled my epic alt. The biggest complaint I'm seeing at the moment is the LE chip being on the PVP server, other wise I saw 10 people lvling together in DOY side street at the city center. Tell me when you ever saw more than 10 people in DOY CC ...

Nidhogg
11-09-05, 21:21
There will be regular maintenance, including a reboot, tomorrow. We'll be keeping a close eye on things in the mean time.

N

eprodigy
11-09-05, 21:24
i would like to mention one thing again; there should be more notice that all the servers are PVP, neptune is just "uber hardcore pvp". i think all the real new players moved to neptune now you should see the help channel there (what is a blueprint, how do you cast a heal). just a thought..

LiL T
11-09-05, 21:30
And Lil T your way to opptimistic, PVP server is just a sugar coating sitting on top of a game that has some deep routed bugs once people have stopped walking around in awe of faster SI and Leveling, SL, No Safezones, No Belthacks, people will realise that the game is still the same as it was last week with a few tweaks on one server thats not all that different to the others.

There not tweaks there major game play changes, there are alot less bugs, I hardly ever fatal. I think there could not have been a better time for KK to create a PVP server, with less bugs people will get a mostly positive experence !

Nidhogg
11-09-05, 21:32
i would like to mention one thing again; there should be more notice that all the servers are PVP, neptune is just "uber hardcore pvp". i think all the real new players moved to neptune now you should see the help channel there (what is a blueprint, how do you cast a heal). just a thought..
That's a good point. I'll pass it on.

N

[TgR]KILLER
11-09-05, 21:41
i like the le on the pvp server its the only reason i play there :p started a tradeskiller there yesterday. tl 20 uzi i can't cap @ all to level with the rest pure tradeskill.. my uber sms :p

<!> Poking TL 70 <!> Constructing TL 78/90 <!> Researching TL 73/75 <!> Repairing TL 138/75 <!> Recycling TL 50/55 <!> Bring Everything <!> Tips Appreciated <!>

leveling itself aint that hard getting money for the tools is :( used to having millions and just buying all gloves and tl 150 tools for a new char lol.

AltonMoney
12-09-05, 16:30
Two servers, One PVP, one normal. Keep the costs low and the pops high. = higher player retention.

Bugs Gunny
12-09-05, 16:48
Two international servers, with the option for everyone to have their screenshot moved to either after a certain point.

I realy don't mind losing appartements etc. If i can get a transfer like the pandora one from terra to neptune i'm going.

Matthew.v.smith
12-09-05, 16:58
I'd love love love a server Merge, Whenever I look at the Server Pop's I cant help but think, ahhh well Terra has 10% to 17% on at the right times and Mercury has 3% along with Mars with about 9% that's around 30% and even more at peak times if Terra and another server merged.
Aside from that i'd also love to be able to take a few characters from Terra over to Neptune, that would be <3
I want too much i'll bet lol

M.

Edit: What Bug's Gunny say's is perfect too

Nicor
12-09-05, 21:09
what about 2 servers: one for PvP and one for RP. Cause right now my opinion is that Mercury is dead (from 0 to 5%). It means 3 remaining servers. Lets merge the 2 non PvP servers, and this is it... more players per server playing all together the game they want to play.

Of course, it is important to remind new players that PvP is not only about PvP, and RP is not only about RP... and explain what makes the difference.

[TgR]KILLER
12-09-05, 22:07
again i say i doubt they gonna do it. if only for the reason people pay for xxx char slots. and i know loads of clans who play on more then 1 server.

Morganth
12-09-05, 22:51

I was wondering if that was happening, because a lot of people would rather start on a "PvP" server and have the opportunity to benefit from it at a later date than be on another server, even though the only thing they are gaining is being ganked by people using epic weapons who don't care about SL.

eprodigy
13-09-05, 00:49
^^ yeah i think that IS happening...

i think there should be 2-one slot servers (PVP, normal)... too bad it's too late for that to happen (needed to be from the start).