PDA

View Full Version : Server Consolidation?

-FN-
10-09-05, 00:17
Can we all agree that the server's typically look like this now:

http://www.synergyxr.net/images/fn/pops.jpg

How much do you spend a month on Mercury? On server housing, bandwidth, maintenance, service contracts, monitoring, and whatever else it costs?

Honestly, I haven't seen that server above 10% in a long time. Now with the PvP Server, things have rebalanced even more.

Get rid of Mercury :P Think of all the other things you could focus that capital overhead on! You have the tools to move chars (Pandore -> Terra/Merc/Mars), apply that to move Mars people out and then drop the dead weight while increasing the populations on Mercury and Terra! Make Mars an International 2-Slot, keep Terra the International 4-Slot and keep Neptune as the PvP 2-Slot.

Just a suggestion ;)

Tratos
10-09-05, 00:24
I agree all servers should be international, removing Merc would be cool as if all servers had all support Merc players would still have a server of the build they use.

retr0n
10-09-05, 00:29
We should go as far as merging Mars, Mercury and Terra. Would give some nice
pops. They could always open more servers when and if there is a need for it.
Right now there is no need for 4 servers.

Toilet-Duck
10-09-05, 00:30
We should go as far as merging Mars, Mercury and Terra. Would give some nice
pops. They could always open more servers when and if there is a need for it.
Right now there is no need for 4 servers.

Agreed, would increase the population alot... Terra as the int server and neptune for the pvp server only...

Tratos
10-09-05, 00:32
Agreed, would increase the population alot... Terra as the int server and neptune for the pvp server only...

Id like that but some people like 1slot servers some 2 and some 4 keeping a 2&4 slot INT server would be more appleaing for some people.

eprodigy
10-09-05, 00:40
slottage is the problem now; decrease slots and people lose hard earned chars; add slots and people get mad about losing that.. better atmopshere.

id love a single 1 slot int server and a 1 slot pvp server would be perfect... but needed to be done from the start. 1 slot > all.

Drake6k
10-09-05, 00:41
I agree :) I don't know about only having 1 server.. 3 would be good, Mars, Terra, and Neptune. But hell.. if it was 1 server.. thats well over 300 people on :) that would kick ass. I login to Terra now and run around looking for someone to fight.. to pk.. allies.. enemys.. I don't care at all. I find usually no one or no one worth the time, sometimes people at crp.. but they are all monks!!! :(

Judge
10-09-05, 00:42
You saw the fallout from the decision to close Pandore... I doubt that KK would be willing to risk that with the German community.

Tratos
10-09-05, 00:45
I agree :) I don't know about only having 1 server.. 3 would be good, Mars, Terra, and Neptune. But hell.. if it was 1 server.. thats well over 300 people on :) that would kick ass. I login to Terra now and run around looking for someone to fight.. to pk.. allies.. enemys.. I don't care at all. I find usually no one or no one worth the time, sometimes people at crp.. but they are all monks!!! :(

Going off FNs screen shot if everything was on one server theres be almost 500 people on one server :eek:

aKe`cj
10-09-05, 01:15
You saw the fallout from the decision to close Pandore... I doubt that KK would be willing to risk that with the German community.

You got a point there .. and I'd say they cannot risk it :)
Merge Mars, Merc and Terra?
Easy mathematics, nice pops.. yeah right... I guess it would look somewhat like

15 + 4 + 15 = 20

wohoo ! :rolleyes:

Going off FNs screen shot if everything was on one server theres be almost 500 people on one server

Used to be like that in teh good ol' days :(

LiL T
10-09-05, 01:19
The madness never ends it just gets worse :rolleyes:

retr0n
10-09-05, 01:19
15 + 4 + 15 = 20

:wtf:

Judge
10-09-05, 01:23
He was saying that people would quit. :p

aKe`cj
10-09-05, 01:23
:wtf:

hard to understand really, is it?
Merging all Servers and thus killing off the German community wont allow you to assume you'd have the plain additive playercount. A lot of peeps from Mars and Merc would take this event as a reason to hop off the train ..eventually you merge servers, you cant merge playercounts tho

LiL T
10-09-05, 01:29
hard to understand really, is it?
Merging all Servers and thus killing off the German community wont allow you to assume you'd have the plain additive playercount. A lot of peeps from Mars and Merc would take this event as a reason to hop off the train ..eventually you merge servers, you cant merge playercounts tho

Exactly the french server was really unused so they made the PVP server there, but trying to tell the german community which is large that there server is going bye bye is gonna be a bit hard. I think these germans are like that, you piss em off and they will all quit most of em.

[TgR]KILLER
10-09-05, 01:47
doesn't go on about all pops. there are clans and players and comunities on the other servers to -_-

french com was pretty much dead 1% or even 0% on the server for month's but deleting all other servers. people play on diffrent servers have clans on diffrent servers and pay to have those xxx slots.

god forget it 5003th time going into the same discussion on another time on another server. sigh.

Brammers
10-09-05, 02:00
What KK need to do is get more people playing, not merge them. IE. Advertising!

Ok most people on this thread say yeah merge Mercury, but if this was put on the German forum there would be 1,000 posts in 10 minutes saying "No!"

Clobber
10-09-05, 03:44

What fallout ?

MrTrip
10-09-05, 04:13
I all ready can't stand the 30 languages on Terra, and before you go telling me OMFG TERRA IS INTERNATIONAL SHUT UP NOOB FACE, see that pretty ENG next to Terra?

Last time I checked, ENG was English English, lets say it again kids, English, not International, again kids, lets try ONE more time.

Terra (Eng) English -- NOT International

All right, now then, the 30 languages on Trade, and all the crud, we really need LANGUAGE SPECIFIC TRADE CHANNELS, or SOMETHING.

Scanner Darkly
10-09-05, 05:51
The ENG I think is more of the guideline for the language support is officially given in and that is the spirit those 3 letters are intended in.

It is not an order to speak only english in public channels, it just means you are unlikely to get support from SGMs in Mandarin, Ethiopian or Martian...

I for one enjoy the variety of languages...(maybe I'm just weird)

BoT: I don't think this is something we should be suggesting. I think it would create more problems than the apparent benefits. Brammers is right, but so far KK's greater advertising liberties have not really made a huge impact on server pops. It's a shame that outside of the MMORPG community NC2 is pretty invisible and inside it it's been tarred with a very dirty brush...

MrTrip
10-09-05, 07:26
I think a large american release, would definantly boost it, maybe getting it to Best Buy all over the US? I have NEVER seen it, and NOBODY knows about it, but as soon as I tell them, they get it and get hooked.

How about a referral program? I would have YEARS of free service built up if we gave a free month per user we get signed up :D

*pokes KK for a US release*

Prom_STar
10-09-05, 07:35
I've never seen anything for NC2 adverstising here in the US. I used to look at Best Buy assuming the US boxed release would coincide with the english manual online. That was seven-eight months ago. Granted I don't know exactly what KK's situation is but advertising = more people = more subscriptions = more money for more advertising = .....

I tell people about NC and they think it sounds and awesome and they want to play. Solution: tell people about NC, KK.

edit: let me stress the fact I am not trying to criticize KK or tell you guys how to do your job. I'm just suggesting to go for more advertising to increase the player base. NC has a lot to offer; people have just never heard of it.

Prom_STar
10-09-05, 09:38
Ok most people on this thread say yeah merge Mercury, but if this was put on the German forum there would be 1,000 posts in 10 minutes saying "No!"

I asked about this on the german forums and it seems the idea has been thrown around before.... a lot. Some say it's a terrible idea while others say consolidating merc and mars might not be a bad idea now that the PvP server is up.

At the very least it was good German practice.

Odin
10-09-05, 09:57
I all ready can't stand the 30 languages on Terra, and before you go telling me OMFG TERRA IS INTERNATIONAL SHUT UP NOOB FACE, see that pretty ENG next to Terra?

Last time I checked, ENG was English English, lets say it again kids, English, not International, again kids, lets try ONE more time.

Terra (Eng) English -- NOT International

All right, now then, the 30 languages on Trade, and all the crud, we really need LANGUAGE SPECIFIC TRADE CHANNELS, or SOMETHING.

The languages next to the server are 'only' for the support language it comes in. Final decisions haven't been made but Terra will most likely be getting French support at some point once the French GM's are in place.

The current server setups will remain for the time being. Mars has a fairly interesting community going on right now and it wouldn't be considered unless it consistently got to the prior pandore numbers.

Asatru
10-09-05, 10:51
The languages next to the server are 'only' for the support language it comes in. Final decisions haven't been made but Terra will most likely be getting French support at some point once the French GM's are in place.

The current server setups will remain for the time being. Mars has a fairly interesting community going on right now and it wouldn't be considered unless it consistently got to the prior pandore numbers.

what about just merging the 2 german servers into 1 server?

Toxen
10-09-05, 10:51
Couple of Things, people keep saying merging servers will Increase population, no it won't it will just move it around a bit it won't increase the overall population. As for the screenshot FN.... populations are artificially increased at the moment because of neptune attracting players black and lots of people leveling new chars.

Asatru
10-09-05, 11:01
Couple of Things, people keep saying merging servers will Increase population, no it won't it will just move it around a bit it won't increase the overall population. As for the screenshot FN.... populations are artificially increased at the moment because of neptune attracting players black and lots of people leveling new chars.

Its not that it will increase serve pops, but by freeing up some resources by lets say merging the 2 german servers they would olny have to worry about 3 servers atm and free up some resourses to maybe get more help on getting the game debugged with the bugs that have been around for long time.

Tratos
10-09-05, 11:12
Its not that it will increase serve pops, but by freeing up some resources by lets say merging the 2 german servers they would olny have to worry about 3 servers atm and free up some resourses to maybe get more help on getting the game debugged with the bugs that have been around for long time.

Mergeing the two german servers would really piss off the german population as they have different slottage, merging the two four slot servers and have one 2 slot international, one 4 slot international and one 2 slot PvP server would allow anyone to have the NC2 server slottage they like, as people from the german 2 and the french 2 who love that format would live on the INT 2 slot server, people from the two 4 slot servers would be on the four slot server and PvPers....on the PvP server.

Unfortunatly Mercury is still ticking over and hasnt hit rock bottom yet and you also have to take into account that people may have 12 capped characters across the 4 servers and if theres suddenly only 8 places...thats going to piss a fair few people off.

Population would on a single server be higher, which would be nice as the game would feel more alive, this could increase th population as the people who wanted a more livly atmosphere and game would return as there would be more people accessable to fight but then again people would also leave as was the argument with Pandore, servers are set up differently people wise, certian things might be in place one some servers and not on others, this wont be as large a problem as the servers are all KK ran so they are quite similar but it still wouldnt be the same.

Ofcourse if it happened all servers would have to be INT with support available for the 3 main languages, english, german and french for all servers.

Torg
10-09-05, 11:57
Get rid of Mercury :P
im not with you this time, FN. dont you remember mercury was discussed to be transformed into neptune weeks before the axe came down on pandora? cutting mercury would mean a big loss of paying customers to KK, as mercury is the four-folded sandbox of mars. you simply cant remove mercury. yes, there are a lot of german players (like me) who speak english sufficiently, but also lots who dont. did you ever try playing on mars?

MrTrip
10-09-05, 12:22

What about just doing French and German support? Since there are both on the server, more then others.

And in reply to a few other people, I was not being racist, I just have a very hard time understanding some people in trade, and espcially in direct messages after advertising on trade, and was VOICING MY OPINION of language based trade channels, like has been suggested before.