PDA

View Full Version : Mappin

rhPhMe
08-09-05, 03:54
Today i started to do a little mapping...sense Plaza one is now a safe zone...i can easily see whats is what...anyway here is a pic

btw its not exact cuase i dont have the same textures...

http://home.swbell.net/dslcox/plaza1.jpg

MrTrip
08-09-05, 04:44
Today i started to do a little mapping...sense Plaza one is now a safe zone...i can easily see whats is what...anyway here is a pic

btw its not exact cuase i dont have the same textures...

I have a feeling that the legalness...ess...is pretty low here....

I guess I like it....not really....show us some live action... O_o

Heavyporker
08-09-05, 04:57
ahhh.. architecturally similiar.

interesting. that's not bad at all, really.

rhPhMe
08-09-05, 06:20
ill have to add some more and compile it.....then fraps some in hl2

Heavyporker
08-09-05, 06:48
you know, the more I look at the map, the more I like it. Just wish that the Plaza sectors and the Pepper Park sectors were more... architecturally dense.

aKe`cj
08-09-05, 10:40
I have a feeling that the legalness...ess...is pretty low here....

Feelings tend to fool you at times ;)
As long as he aint using the NC textures or converts the map structure directly from NC files - he's just building a map that somewhat looks a little familiar ...

I do the same sometimes...
and I'd reccomend you to at least try, find similar textures or create them yourself, as the textures + the lighting are nowhere near the original ...thats why I dont like the posted images - I guess if you'd adjust the lighting it will look a lot, lot more appealing!

Original monk
08-09-05, 11:16
I guess if you'd adjust the lighting it will look a lot, lot more appealing!

there is no lightning yet, its still in the editor :)

i like it yeah altough its yust one screen ffcourse, i allready like the little stairs :)

aKe`cj
08-09-05, 11:20
there is no lightning yet, its still in the editor :)

meh knows .. but do you happen to see any light-entities?
I would've compiled the map prior to posting a screen here, lighting = 50% of what divides a good map from a bad one (graphic wise) :)

Original monk
08-09-05, 11:33
im curious allready for when the map is entirely worked out :)

rhPhMe
08-09-05, 20:06
Im still ajusting the lights and the enviroment lighting also...

here is a video....dont mind the quality...had to get the size down

(ill have to repost another link)

http://home.swbell.net/dslcox/plaza2.jpg

rhPhMe
08-09-05, 20:42
http://home.swbell.net/dslcox/plazaa.wmv

here it is..

bounty
08-09-05, 20:49
Um, that is awesome dude, KK looking to hire some talent? :)

Of course how well it runs fps wise is another issue.

Skusty
08-09-05, 21:16
nice! Is it in GM or??

rhPhMe
08-09-05, 22:19
well i didnt make it with garry's mod....but that is the mod i use

just cuase i like it :p

Ryen
08-09-05, 23:17
This isn't talent, this is simply copying a game made for a 99 PC into an engine made to last until ATLEAST 2007. Why don't you try not just copying Neocron, but increasing it's aesthetics?

QuakCow
08-09-05, 23:30
yes hes "copying"! :p that wasnt exactly helpful...anyways nice work man. looks awesome

Nidhogg
08-09-05, 23:34
Providing you don't use any protected assets (such as textures or sound effects) then there's no problem with this.

N

Ryen
09-09-05, 00:16
yes hes "copying"! :p that wasnt exactly helpful...anyways nice work man. looks awesome

Copying is actually the correct term, and it was completely helpful. I did the exact same thing with pepper park, but it was for half-life 1 and actually had more detail than the neocron version. I never got around to finishing it.

All I'm trying to tell him is to actually TRY to make it slightly original. Since source is WORLDS better than Tekktonic, it's possible to make the level MUCH better. You are simply taking an ancient engine with a map that would have looked amazing in 2001 and porting it to an engine that was made for 2005-2007+.

Nidhogg
09-09-05, 00:38
The problem is that a new engine does not necessarily mean a great looking level. I've seen plenty of renditions of NC levels in various engines and I've still not seen anything that approaches the atmosphere achieved by our "ancient engine".

N

Morganth
09-09-05, 00:47
The problem is that a new engine does not necessarily mean a great looking level. I've seen plenty of renditions of NC levels in various engines and I've still not seen anything that approaches the atmosphere achieved by our "ancient engine".

N

And that would explain why everyone adores games like Doom 3 and HL2, because they don't give the right atmosphere. The Source engine is very flexible, just blend it with other engines (weather, atmosphere, Havok 2, SWARM) and then play around with the lighting to get the right feel.

I don't see what atmosphere you are talking about with the Tekktonic engine, the Source engine can do anything you want it to, if you know how. Oh, there's the loop hole you didn't state :rolleyes:

MrTrip
09-09-05, 01:04

N

Lets go back to the System SHock 2 Dark Engine! O_o :D

Nidhogg
09-09-05, 01:08
The word I didn't explicitly mention for fear of being tactless was "skill" but I guess I need to spell it out. It takes skill to make levels look good - tools will only take you so far. It's all very well saying " (weather, atmosphere, Havok 2, SWARM)" but that's all just so much junk unless you've got the skill to make use of it. Did I say Doom 3 or HL2 looked bad? Nope.

N

/edit - and before people think I'm having a go at the thread starter, I'm not. I applaud anyone who puts time and effort into designing levels because it's a damn difficult job to do well. I'm having a go at the people who always chime in on threads like this with "Neocron's engine is old and therefore levels made in (insert new engine of choice here) will look better" comments, which are, of course, overlooking the aforementioned skill factor and are therefore, frankly, bs. Eyethankewe.

rhPhMe
09-09-05, 01:47
naw i agree with you fully, cuase these days anyone can get ahold of art software ect...doesnt mean they will be good at it... no matter what game it is on...

ill admit im not the best out there at all...but ive been doing it for like 3 years or so

Ryen
09-09-05, 01:55

N

QUOTATION MARKS ABOUND IN THIS THREAD HERE!

Nid, I will admit that this is the most atmospheric MMO out there. The simply fact is, the graphics engine is dated. I was just trying to say that the level he made should be much more detailed, since source can handle more verticies, enetities, and has better lighting.

/edit - and before people think I'm having a go at the thread starter, I'm not. I applaud anyone who puts time and effort into designing levels because it's a damn difficult job to do well. I'm having a go at the people who always chime in on threads like this with "Neocron's engine is old and therefore levels made in (insert new engine of choice here) will look better" comments, which are, of course, overlooking the aforementioned skill factor and are therefore, frankly, bs. Eyethankewe.

I never said anything like that, even though I know it's true. Perfect example, find any half-life map, then google "Flashdevil". His Half-Life levels still hold on today, they are that incredible.

P.S. I didn't want to say outright that the person who made this didn't have any skill in it, that's the only reason I said it was based on the engine. Which to some extents (listed above) it is.

rhPhMe
09-09-05, 02:34
Here is some other stuff i am working on as well....

(its all one map...i like making a teleport area then have serveral differnt areas people can go....anyway)

http://home.swbell.net/dslcox/new.jpg

Heavyporker
09-09-05, 03:51
Downloading the vid.

I got to say this, but I agree - it takes real skill to get excellent atmosphere. Tools can only take you so far.

edit - cute vid, but.. mmm.. I dunno.. some proportions look off to me. Pretty nice go at plaza 1, though. Clearly recognizable.

Original monk
09-09-05, 09:46
hey great job rhpme ! im downloading the video atm, yust cant be bad, i like the screenshots allready :)

ow and nidhogg :) i think its even easier to get the correct apocalyptic feeling in a slightly older engine, the newer engines all have a shiny fresh clean effect, or it feels like that ... and thats pretty hard to obtain in for example the new hammer ... best effects i could get was using coloured lightning like in PP and PPsewers, for chaoscaves the closest i could get was using colours togheter with alot of fire in a cave :) to get that warm red effect :) i noticed in some cases smoke was also very promising to add to the apocalyptic feeling :)

and nopez, maps in a fresher engine will not always have a better effect when they would implement it in neocron .. same as i prefer the older crummy playermodels waay more then the new fresh models we have in NC2 now :)

tough its still amazing when you run around in youre own homemade NC2 map and see what NC2 can look like with another engine's fancy effects :) ... if it would still be noticable or even better if they actually implemented it i dunno, i doubt it even, but its sure fun playing a game of counterstrike in a swampcave or chaoscave LOL