PDA

View Full Version : Possible to host?

rhPhMe
01-09-05, 05:06
It possible to host a Local Area Network (lan game) with neocron....i heard that someone did it way back when....is it possible to do in nc2?

Asurmen Spec Op
01-09-05, 05:24
No.. it never was either

rhPhMe
01-09-05, 05:28
im sure it did work before....the only reason i want to do this...is to try to map and test it out in nc

i think i may download the trial version and see what i can code up

Asurmen Spec Op
01-09-05, 06:13
im sure it did work before....the only reason i want to do this...is to try to map and test it out in nc

i think i may download the trial version and see what i can code up
You do know that the computations are done SERVER side, thus a lan isnt possible, and coding the trial version is illegal

rhPhMe
01-09-05, 06:15
It is illegal? Trust me i wont try anything that is illegal.

Thanks for the Info.

Koshinn
01-09-05, 06:22
It is illegal? Trust me i wont try anything that is illegal.

Thanks for the Info.

Then carefully read the EULA when you install the program. You should find something about not modifying the game.

rhPhMe
01-09-05, 06:25
You do know that the computations are done SERVER side

When you say server side, what do you mean?

In-Game?

naimex
01-09-05, 07:56
It possible to host a Local Area Network (lan game) with neocron....i heard that someone did it way back when....is it possible to do in nc2?

It is very illegal.

As already stated, running a neocron server yourself, without being allowed by reaKKtor in REAL writing is illegal, and grounds for lawsuit.

So, you should stay away from any such thing ;)

and besides, why would you want to?

Playing neocron with 2-5 people.. That has got to be the dullest thing Iīve ever heard of.

and please no one make comments with "Well thatīs how it is now", because both you and I know that itīs not true.. it may feel that way, but thatīs because your in the wrong places at the wrong time.

I can find people if I want to, and if I want to find a lot of people fast.. just go assault an OP.. that usually makes about 20-30 people jump you suddenly.

Argent
01-09-05, 07:59
Then carefully read the EULA when you install the program. You should find something about not modifying the game.

Actually in many contries EULA equals toilet paper, so it' meanignless. Instead, RoC obviously has to be obeyed, or ban will the result and RoC has pretty clear rules about "server/hosting/modifying".

Seezur001
01-09-05, 08:08
Playing neocron with 2-5 people.. That has got to be the dullest thing Iīve ever heard of.

Then why you still playing then?

naimex
01-09-05, 08:29
Then why you still playing then?

You didnīt read my post did you...

Let me just take that thing I wrote and just make it a little bigger for you...

and please no one make comments with "Well thatīs how it is now", because both you and I know that itīs not true.. it may feel that way, but thatīs because your in the wrong places at the wrong time.
I can find people if I want to, and if I want to find a lot of people fast.. just go assault an OP.. that usually makes about 20-30 people jump you suddenly.

Koshinn
01-09-05, 09:03
Actually in many contries EULA equals toilet paper, so it' meanignless. Instead, RoC obviously has to be obeyed, or ban will the result and RoC has pretty clear rules about "server/hosting/modifying".

That's true, but you know what else equals toilet paper in many countries? Democracy. Why would someone care about the RoC if they're gonna be modifying an offline demo? How would someone be caught (besides foolishly posting on the forums :wtf: ) doing something offline? For all you know they could be doing it on a computer without internet access. In Germany, America, Britain, Canada and France the EULA does mean something and will get you in trouble if you break it (and get caught of course). I'm not sure about Never-never-land though... do they have computers there, Argent?

btw, lol @ naimex tbh.

rhPhMe
01-09-05, 09:56
i only tried to find out cuase i like to design maps....and just thought it might be interesting being able to run a map in nc.....no illegal activity intended...thats why i am not going to mess with it...

Original monk
01-09-05, 10:11
i only tried to find out cuase i like to design maps....and just thought it might be interesting being able to run a map in nc.....no illegal activity intended...thats why i am not going to mess with it...

do like i do, make a neocron lookalike map and run it in another game (halflife2 .. cs:s/deatmatch or BFV, BF2 or sumthing), you dont do anything wrong and you dont need permission of noone :)

wich mapeditor you use btw ?

(ow ...unless you wonna use the NC textures ffcourse, then you need permission again etc)

edit: as said im sure KK wont like it if you gonna try to run youre own server :) everything that has to do with using there files or modifying anything about the game as it is now will not be appreciated ...

now i think of all this .. i miss the GFX forums, there was great information for mapmakers, modders, skinners and i dunno what all ... ffcourse everything went as usual and got shut down after people abused info for there own good :/ ..

rhPhMe
01-09-05, 10:34
Well before i mapped in HL,CS,TFC, ect little bit in HL:2

all well and fun....but you can just imagine playing nc on a vast city map with a death chamber to trap people in...i always added one in my maps...

o well thou...guess ill just have to get back into hl:2 mappin

John.nl
01-09-05, 10:59
I'm pretty sure there was a guy - I won't name him here because I'm not sure -who tricked the client to think it was connected to the server. He could "log in" and walk around. He could not zone, open doors or otherwise interact with the environment. Only walk about in one zone.

retr0n
01-09-05, 11:38
I'm pretty sure there was a guy - I won't name him here because I'm not sure -who tricked the client to think it was connected to the server. He could "log in" and walk around. He could not zone, open doors or otherwise interact with the environment. Only walk about in one zone.

He did not trick the client, he actually was in the works of making his own neocron server.
But short after he acomplished what you just wrote he stopped the project.

Argent
01-09-05, 11:47
That's true, but you know what else equals toilet paper in many countries? Democracy...Etc-blaa-blaa-blaa...do they have computers there, Argent?

Nice flame mate. Next time when you're "arguing" about sometimes, spend a little time to research the matter before you write something totally clueless. I'll respond to you with an valid argument once you provide one first.

PS. Here in Finland EULA is invalid if it is against any Finnish law (we have pretty darn good laws to protect the consumers), and to tell the truth, large amount of EULAs are. Add to that pressing the "I agree" button is not in any way binding contract.

PPS. I'm writing this message in Finland, on the very only computer of the country. Actually I stole this computer from the evil capitalist Swedes!

Original monk
01-09-05, 12:07
Well before i mapped in HL,CS,TFC, ect little bit in HL:2

all well and fun....but you can just imagine playing nc on a vast city map with a death chamber to trap people in...i always added one in my maps...

o well thou...guess ill just have to get back into hl:2 mappin

ow ok, so mainly worldcraft/hammer, cool :)

and TBH i love traps :P i made a map once full of em lol (this was in cs 1.6) , a working guillotine, shootingrange and pool all in hidden secret basements/chambers (chambers dressed in HL1 xen textures lol) .. to acces the chambers you needed to press hidden buttons .. in these chambers you could then acces other hidden buttons etc etc .. till you came in the controlroom where you could monitor the whole map with camera's and set of explosions :p (poor guys that entred the server didnt know what happend to em lol) ... also nice is a room wich you can lock off with glass gliding up or down like a door and having the room filled with water very slowly till they drown lol :P (that offtopic tough)

i made diffrent neocronmaps tough most got lost overtime due to crashed HD's :( the last one i made was the nicest .. a replica of the swampcaves but then completely made with homemade hi-res textures, if you wonna know what neocron looks like with the source engine: well its incredible LOL (i especially liked the source-water with the obscure lightning in the cave)

with triggers you can have fun also, my last plan was making a chaoscave but with fire everywhere that got activated with hidden floortriggers and timed triggers, i made about half of it and it looked very promising but i didnt had time nomore to finish it, i have periods where im only busy with making maps hehe, untill it gets to tiresome and then my intrest drops back for a while ... until i catch up the virus again when im walking around irl and suddenly see sumthing that gives me a great idea to put in a map :)

lately i played a bit with the BF2 mapeditor, very very impressive but i still like the latest hammer alot :)

anyways, i gonna stop now or i keep talking about mapping :)

Koshinn
01-09-05, 12:11
Nice flame mate. Next time when you're "arguing" about sometimes, spend a little time to research the matter before you write something totally clueless. I'll respond to you with an valid argument once you provide one first.

PS. Here in Finland EULA is invalid if it is against any Finnish law (we have pretty darn good laws to protect the consumers), and to tell the truth, large amount of EULAs are. Add to that pressing the "I agree" button is not in any way binding contract.

PPS. I'm writing this message in Finland, on the very only computer of the country. Actually I stole this computer from the evil capitalist Swedes!

I'm just confused now. I believe that you're assuming that I didn't think your country had democracy (by linking EULAs with democracy?)? And that was a personal insult to you? The purpose of the EULA is two fold. One, it ensures you know what you're getting into so you can't claim ignorance. Two, it informs you that the game is indeed copyrighted. I can't say I know the first thing about Finnish law, but I do know American law. The type of EULA we use with an "I accept" button is legally enforced in America.

I was more making fun of the broad statement of toilet paper and eulas you made by writing one of my own. I'm sure EULAs mean absolutely nothing in 80% of all countries in the world. But the same can be said about many things, like democracy. But you didn't get that. :rolleyes: Oh, I also think you assumed that I knew where you lived, but I don't. It says never-never-land in your location btw.

[TgR]KILLER
01-09-05, 12:11

you can't trick the client to think its on a server. it has to be on a server since your char is serverside not client side.

but as said all mods any changing is illigal to do.. and playing nc on a lan ? its a MMORPG its not a lan game

Original monk
01-09-05, 12:28
KILLER']and playing nc on a lan ? its a MMORPG its not a lan game

i think he yust wanted to know if you could make youre own NC server (like you can make a counterstrike server for example) so he could check out he's homemade maps with NC characters running around in em :) the answer is know by now ffcourse: making own NC servers isnt allowed

i can understand its not that realistic walking around in youre homemade NCmap with an AWP or a deagle :) but there is not alot of other option :)

Argent
01-09-05, 12:45
I believe that you're assuming that I didn't think your country had democracy (by linking EULAs with democracy?)? And that was a personal insult to you?

If you actually had read my message you would have noticed that I ignored everything that had anything to do with democracy. And I don't consider any posts, especially flames, personal insults.

The purpose of the EULA is two fold. One, it ensures you know what you're getting into so you can't claim ignorance. Two, it informs you that the game is indeed copyrighted. I can't say I know the first thing about Finnish law, but I do know American law. The type of EULA we use with an "I accept" button is legally enforced in America.

How many EULAs have you actually read? Did you read the EULA that came with your Windows, NC or Word? Or any software for that matter? No you didn't. Also, when was the last time you bought something NOT copyrighted (count out food)?

I would recommend to you Wikipedia's short but good article about EULA, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eula

Koshinn
01-09-05, 13:11
If you actually had read my message you would have noticed that I ignored everything that had anything to do with democracy. And I don't consider any posts, especially flames, personal insults.
I thought flames were personal insults? my bad.

How many EULAs have you actually read? Did you read the EULA that came with your Windows, NC or Word? Or any software for that matter? No you didn't. Also, when was the last time you bought something NOT copyrighted (count out food)?

I read all EULAs that I have to. I studied American contract law a bit, so I like to know what I'm getting in to. Yes I did read the EULAs for NC and Windows, but I don't own Word. I've read the WoW EULA about 7 times I think, each patch they change it. I read EULAs of freeware and commercial programs. Don't assume something about someone you know nothing about, kthxbai.

Edit: forgot about that question in the end. In a way, a compilation of things in public domain is not actually copyrighted. Like old songs or older classic novels. They are in that they're arranged a certain way, but you can legally copy them word-for-word or note-for-note. So the answer would be "Heart of Darkness" by Conrad.

I would recommend to you Wikipedia's short but good article about EULA, for example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eula
Ok.. just did and they left out a few key definitions. There's a difference between hitting an "I accept" button and defaulting agreement by opening/installing a program before being allowed to read the EULA/ToS. In the first case, the majority of cases win or settle in favor of the software company. In the later case, in the favor of the defendant.

Here's some examples I found real quick online. Again, I don't claim to know Finnish law.
http://www.okratas.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=45
http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Legal_instrument
http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Contract
http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/eula.asp
Here's a link from the wikipedia page you linked: http://www.eff.org/wp/eula.php
(It's saying EULAs are bad and to boycott them, but they ARE legal)

Cliff notes: "Generally, formation of a contract requires a bargain in which there is a manifestation of mutual assent to the exchange and a consideration (see also consideration under English law). " (3rd link)
In EULAs for MMORPGs, the mutual assent being the EULA itself and "I accept" button. The consideration being monthly payment and abiding by rules in exchange for usage of the game.

If you read EULAs, you find some disturbing things, like agreeing to allow spyware be installed on your computer or the fact that you're actually renting the program from the software company, they still own it.

Argent
01-09-05, 13:53
Wow, finally a good post, thank you. Since you know the case with EULA, only one question remains : Why did you have to resort to flaming in the first place, instead of giving a good reason (like that last post of yours) why your refence to EULA was actually good thing from your point of view?

Koshinn
01-09-05, 22:27
Wow, finally a good post, thank you. Since you know the case with EULA, only one question remains : Why did you have to resort to flaming in the first place, instead of giving a good reason (like that last post of yours) why your refence to EULA was actually good thing from your point of view?
Well first I don't like to make really long and comprehensive posts because they take time and no one should really care that much. Second, I don't think I flamed, I just responded with similar counter examples to your post. When people make bad points I tend to reply with equally bad points. :p the never-never-land thing was a joke though.

rhPhMe
01-09-05, 23:01
monk i also use 3DSMAX..however hammer is great also..was in a clan of mappers...we manage to make an indianna jones map...it was amazing even with a real model of Dr.Jones :p

--amazing how threads so often become arguments....just drop it you guys