PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Zoning? (warping)

BloodLetting
26-08-05, 20:36
:confused: This only happens when I zone up or down into caves or undergrounds

I zone and after synch screen I see my body. I can cast spells shoot or stealth. But if I try to run I keep warping back to where I zoned in for a few seconds then I get released and continue on my way??? :confused:

It weird I run like 10 feet then get pulled back to where I entered.

Transformer
26-08-05, 20:54
turn vsynch on. should fix it, aka rubber band effect.

zii
26-08-05, 20:55
I've had this problem before. It happened when my network connection went crazy and/or ping was in the greater then 400m/s area. Alt-F and check or ping -s reacktorsIP. (I think its ping -t for Windows) to see how high it is.

All I can think of right now. Never thought about vsync though.

BloodLetting
26-08-05, 20:58
OK V synch

Will try soon as I get home thx for the tip :D

LiL T
26-08-05, 21:28
Aye V synch in your video settings will fix this 99% of the time and maybe lower you FPS but not much :)

Blausiegel
26-08-05, 21:32
Ok, so i think i have a serious problem and belong to the last percent... 8|
Have the same rubberband thingy under each graphiccard settings on my 9800 atlantis.
Any other hints for me?

Regards
Blausiegel

giga191
26-08-05, 22:26
i hate having vsynch on. i want more fps!!!!!!!1111

Transformer
26-08-05, 23:15

i believe the human eye isn't able to tell te difference between anything above 80 FPS or something but for all those none humans we have here too bad....just have your refresh rate a lil higher.

sultana
27-08-05, 07:50
Erm, doesn't v-synch limit the fps to what the monitor can handle anyway :p

Also omega drivers (aparantley, according to Koshinn) fix the problem, at the expense of window mode :rolleyes:

Dargeshaad
27-08-05, 08:36
http://www.ngohq.com/ has some pretty good optimzed drivers both for Nvidia & ATI, they usually have them out like 1 day after Nvidia/ATI releases them :D

giga191
27-08-05, 10:28
so v-synch doesn't affect your FPS at all other than limiting it to refresh rate?

sultana
27-08-05, 11:03
so v-synch doesn't affect your FPS at all other than limiting it to refresh rate?
It might cause a tiny performance drop, but it's nothing noticeable.

Koshinn
27-08-05, 11:26
i believe the human eye isn't able to tell te difference between anything above 80 FPS or something but for all those none humans we have here too bad....just have your refresh rate a lil higher.

That is correct, I'm not sure about the exact fps though, but you're correct within 20 fps... I think it's like at 60 you can't tell. Just for reference... TV is 29fps, movies are 24 fps.

[VP]Orion
27-08-05, 17:23
I guess some people knows all this before but for those that doesnt:

A monitor (Im talking about normal monitor here, not flatscreen) works with a ray that starts in upper left corner and then draws that whole row. Then moves down to next row and draws that and then moves down to next row and so on until the whole screen has been drawn (highly simplified). The amount of times the monitor draws this screen every second is called refreshrate and is measured in frames per second (fps). After the whole screen has been drawn the ray moves back up to the upper left corner again. Thats called vertical sync (vsync).

The graphicscard has the image that is supposed to be drawn in a buffer in its memory and sends that out to the monitor when it needs it. During the time the monitor draws up the picture the graphicscard and processor (cpu) works on the next picture thats going to be drawn out in a second buffer. After the picture is completed in the graphicscards buffer an instruction is run that switches the primary and secondary buffers so the monitor gets the image from the other buffer instead. Then the processor starts working on the next image again in the buffer that isnt showed right now. If you have vsync turned on it means that the graphicscard has to wait for vsync to happen (when the ray were being moved back up to top left corner again and not drawing anything) before issuing that flip-command.

What can you make out from this? If you have vsync turned on your processor and gfxcard will probably have to spend a little time waiting for vsync to occur before being able to start working on a new picture again. If you turn it off you will often see the upper half of the screen being from one frame and bottom half from another frame which will create some visual artifacts and sometimes some flickering. This also means that if you have a slow computer you will normally want to focus on getting your cpu and gfxcard working as much as they can without going into idlemode waiting for vsync to happen (vsync off). If you have a faster machine you will normally want to have vsync on to avoid those visual artifacts and flickering. If you have a really fast machine you will probably want to still run with vsync on but with the monitor set to a very high refreshrate (100-120fps).

This is all very general and also alot simplified. Some people prefer to have vsync off no matter what and some have it on even with a slow comp. Neocron complicates it abit more since the common rubberband effect usually dissapears when you turn vsync on.

Hope this clarifies things for some people.

a4nic8er
28-08-05, 00:02
I have always had v-sync forced on, but I get rubber banding since the lsat patches.

imper1um
28-08-05, 00:08
It's 54 FPS, actually. :/

Transformer
28-08-05, 01:28
sorry if i didn't take the time to google it but i was just showing the fact that it doesn't really matter if your trying to get over 100 FPS or whatever since you won't be able to tell the difference....proves my point even better though since its 54. so your FPS should be fine with Vsynch on...i currently run with a 72 refresh rate.

Argent
28-08-05, 10:12
It's 54 FPS, actually. :/

It's highly different for each individual, actually. Also, it's important to make a difference towards the display technology, display's FPS and the data/material FPS.

Do you think the screen "flickers" in you local cinema?