PDA

View Full Version : Hacknet database downloads

Riddle
25-08-05, 13:51
My understanding is that in order to hack another Faction database other than your own you need a codebreaker contructed from mob drops and is only then a one time use? Is this still the case?

If so it needs I believe it needs to be changed.

We all know it is easier to have a slot spare to roll a noob in whatever faction to gain access to their downloads which is easier than having a full hacknet char spending ages finding codebreaker parts.

Solution

In my mind a Full hacknet char should be able to access a new hacknet module (high stats) or an advanced hacktool, which allows you to hack any database.

Thoughts??

Brammers
25-08-05, 13:55
Correct, the codebreaker is a one use item only. Hence this is one of the reasons why people roll up newbs to get the items from Hacknet on the 4 slot servers.

Riddle
25-08-05, 13:59
Correct, the codebreaker is a one use item only. Hence this is one of the reasons why people roll up newbs to get the items from Hacknet on the 4 slot servers.

And my suggested solution? would this work because then I would actually invest some time in a hacker. :D

mileto
25-08-05, 16:56
I think that there are much more features to improve in HN and the codebreakers are not one of them. High-Level Hacker schould not have a Problems collecting spine-parts for more than one codebraeker. I have an Spy -> Pisitol-Hacker who can find everything and hack any database (exepted TH).

Instead everyone to creat a noob character and to download BPs from hostile databases, must KK create an limitaton so that only a Hacker with more than 100 HCK can download a BP from his Factiondatabase ;)

Riddle
25-08-05, 17:22
I think that there are much more features to improve in HN and the codebreakers are not one of them. High-Level Hacker schould not have a Problems collecting spine-parts for more than one codebraeker. I have an Spy -> Pisitol-Hacker who can find everything and hack any database (exepted TH).

Instead everyone to creat a noob character and to download BPs from hostile databases, must KK create an limitaton so that only a Hacker with more than 100 HCK can download a BP from his Factiondatabase ;)

Nice suggestion, I'm not adverse to any change which puts more emphasise on the hacknet being for HACKERS! ;)

IceStorm
26-08-05, 04:04
Correct, the codebreaker is a one use item only.One BP or one login to the slinky?

If it's one BP per codebreaker, it should be changed to one login to the slinky per us or be treated as a substance, with say 10 or 20 BPs per codebreaker. One BP per codebreaker is ridiculous.

Freaky Fryd
26-08-05, 09:23
From what I've heard, yes it's one BP per codebreaker.
I've heard the parts are really easy to get though, so I guess it's alright for usage.
I wouldn't support more than 2 or 3 uses per codebreaker...I mean, if you're getting BPs for yourself, with the codebreaker-part drops as high as they are, you don't need that many codebreakers. If you're getting them to sell, that's a whole different story though...

Argent
26-08-05, 09:48
Nah, you only need the codebreaker to open the dialog, if you don't close it, you can get as many BPs as you like.

mileto
26-08-05, 12:25
Nah, you only need the codebreaker to open the dialog, if you don't close it, you can get as many BPs as you like.

Do you ever use a codebreaker?! 1 codebreaker = 1 login = 1 BP. If you don't carry a TL 90 Datacube and you log in -> you lost your codebreaker, because you don't have a empty DC to download the information. ;)

Argent
26-08-05, 12:40
Hhmm, really? Okay then. I'm not sure what I'm mixing it with, but that is my memory of the matter. Haven't been in the net for a while.

It would propably help if there actually was something worth getting in the databases. :rolleyes:

Riddle
26-08-05, 14:12
I think code breakers are a waste of time for high level hackers.

1 - A full hacker spec should give the player the reward to be able to hack all things, however its done ( i.e. new hacktool, high level module).

2 - Code breakers could be used for lower level hackers in order to access the DB for one offs, but a true capped hacker shouldn't have too.

3 - And as suggested to prevent noob rolling for items a minimum hack point should be put in to allow downloads from your own database.

Drops in Hacknet should offer rares for hacknet use only expanding the module pool.

Just think a hacker should be rewarded for what is at the moment a useless slot.

Hellmag
26-08-05, 16:50
I have another suggestion.

Why not make it more like research? ie You need as much Hack as a target lvl to dl the blueprint, but unless you have twice as much in Hack there is a possibility of a corrupted dl.

something like this:
Own:
Target = TL + (50-FS)
Allied:
Target = TL + (75-FS)
Neutral:
Target = TL + (100-FS)
Enemy:
Target = TL + (150-FS)

A codebraker could remove 50 (mayby different versions can give various amounts) or so, from the target lvl.

In the High sec, split the BPs between the 'mobs'. I wouldn't save my data in four different 'copies'. That is, one mob per BP and then one for 'Faction Secrets' that could be used for HN-missions.
And also put in all the other Faction stuff (FSM), and mayby some faction info, in the low sec DB (you know, the one you can enter from the DNS). Same rules there. This would give hackers a lot more to go for in the enemies factions DNS/High Sec.

Riddle
26-08-05, 17:04
Another good idea from what I see.

I would really love to know if Dirus has any of this in mind for the future balancing? No dates, no times just if it's in the frame.

[VP]Orion
27-08-05, 17:33
You can only get one single BP for each codebreaker. If you try sometimes you will notice that after you got that BP and your single codebreaker is gone it will start over from the beginning and then you will get that "ACL not verified" message again that you always get when you dont have any codebreaker on you.

Riddle: I would advice you to not bother about making any pure hacker until you see what KK does with hacknet in the future (when and if). Currently hackers are completely useless after the "balancing" patches that came several months ago after some lowbies complained that they got killed all the time (they couldnt be bothered to make pure hackers and complained when pures dominated them). Hopefully this will change again but until then its just not worth the trouble.

[VP]Orion
27-08-05, 17:43
And also put in all the other Faction stuff (FSM), and mayby some faction info, in the low sec DB (you know, the one you can enter from the DNS). This would give hackers a lot more to go for in the enemies factions DNS/High Sec.
If you enter a high security hacknet dungeon sometime you will see some datastorages in there that is currently of no use (afaik atleast). Some of these are named after factions (crahn, tangent and so on) and it have been my hope/guess for a long time that these would be just for getting stuff normally sold at FSMs. Would be really good.

I didnt really bother to look at the exact numbers you suggested for different DBs since I dont think its really possible to say an exact number. But the general idea is good that it would require higher and higher hck-skill to get stuff from faction->allied->neutral->enemy databases. That would make dedicated hackers have more use/meaning.

Cornhusker
27-08-05, 18:16
yall are looking at this wrong..........the code breakers are the last thing that needs to be messed with. i have a pure hacknet guy and until range is fixed on the attacks then the true hacknet fights will never happen again along with login off at the terminal prevent any1 from truely having a op war fight from within also. so like i said the codebreakers are the last thing to be fixed and i think roguearson and volvo would agree with me along with al of the other poeple in this game that have spared a free slot to make a hacker only to be a waste now.

[VP]Orion
28-08-05, 02:57
and i think roguearson and volvo would agree with me
Guess why I at the bottom on page 1 adviced Riddle into not making a pure hacker yet? ;)

And no, its nog becoz I agree with you, its just thats how it is right now, hackers are useless.

Hellmag
28-08-05, 04:40
Orion']If you enter a high security hacknet dungeon sometime you will see some datastorages in there that is currently of no use (afaik atleast). Some of these are named after factions (crahn, tangent and so on) and it have been my hope/guess for a long time that these would be just for getting stuff normally sold at FSMs. Would be really good.

I didn't know that (haven't been in that many HN-dungeons).
But I always saw it as a vaste of space not to be using the already ingame database 'room' (not one of the three Infected storages, but the fourth one). It would be perfect for this (i think), perhaps even intended from the start (just not implemented).

Orion']I didnt really bother to look at the exact numbers you suggested for different DBs since I dont think its really possible to say an exact number. But the general idea is good that it would require higher and higher hck-skill to get stuff from faction->allied->neutral->enemy databases. That would make dedicated hackers have more use/meaning.

It was the general idea i was after, the exact numbers would be up to kk to set. But I really think the FS should be in the equation (to give it more meaning/value). As I choose the values, you would even get a bonus with relly good standings in own and allied factions. And no matter how good your standing is with a enemy faction you would always have a malus.

eprodigy
28-08-05, 05:23
yeah hacking is useless... theres just nothing for a pure hacker to do and it's not even easy to level as a hacker. what makes it worse is; every other new player chooses hacker profession and ends up with no weapon skills and some software and not even an explanation how to go into hacknet. fun fun.

can you still camp the outpost openings? can hackers still stop anyone even after they won from taking the OP? a pure hacker clan would be fun(ny) if so.

and i think roguearson and volvo would agree with me along with..
i always thought cornhusker and roguearson were the same person.. silly me