PDA

View Full Version : Automated Error Reporting

-FN-
22-08-05, 23:20
I'm sure we've all seen the Send Error Report in one program or another. I just had Firefox crash on me and got the window giving me the option to package all the data needed to analzye the crash and automatically send it to Mozilla (not the Microsoft Window, but the Quality Agent/Talkbalk one specifically for Mozilla)... how convenient! Pretty much every other program I can think of has it, IE, Office, even City of Heroes when I played it had an automated report sender the few times it crashed on me.

KK, perhaps you'd be able to help us and yourselves hammer out some of these problems by giving us the option to Autosend the Error/Callstack and whatever other info (perhaps character/server/zone data is packagable?) that info whenever we get the FRE or C++ Runtime Error Windows...

[TgR]KILLER
22-08-05, 23:35
thats one of the reasons i dun run win xp always nagging n shit about it wanting to e-mail stuff automatichly and fuck knows what else lol if i want to report it i'll do it myself. but for now just frigging restart and leave me the hell alone.

Brammers
23-08-05, 00:05
I know what you mean killer. The other day Windows XP wanted to report a program that crashed to Microsoft. The program in question was written by me. :wtf:

What FN is talking about having something like that for Neocron. KK need all the error logs to sort the problems out. Thumbs up from me.

Edit: Since Mozilla is open source, the code for the quality agent should be available somwhere. *Goes to look*

Xeno LARD
23-08-05, 01:36
I'm sure Dirius could write that in his lunch break or something.

Judge
23-08-05, 01:48
Standing on his head. With a pirate patch on.

Thumbs up for the automated error logging for NC... could iron out a few annoyances maybeh?

[TgR]KILLER
23-08-05, 02:10
main thing i hate is programs as in programs just mailing stuff from my comp if i want to do that i'll do it myself lol.

Xeno LARD
23-08-05, 02:26
KILLER']main thing i hate is programs as in programs just mailing stuff from my comp if i want to do that i'll do it myself lol.

"Do you want me to report this for you? [Yes] [No]"

"No"

"Ok, sorry to bother you".

That was painless.

Dirus
23-08-05, 02:55
I'm sure Dirius could write that in his lunch break or something.

That would imply I have coding skills..

MrTrip
23-08-05, 05:10
That would imply I have coding skills..

:lol:

.... O_o Don't you...?

Dargeshaad
23-08-05, 08:27
"Do you want me to report this for you? [Yes] [No]"

"No"

"Ok, sorry to bother you".

That was painless.
Considering the amount of times that Nc crash....it won't be painless :lol:

[TgR]KILLER
23-08-05, 09:28
.... O_o Don't you...?

Dirus is a Quality Assurance Official not a coder :p

retr0n
23-08-05, 10:32
For those of you who don't want it, a simple checkbox would solve all your
problems. Options are good :)

I posted this same idea a while back, never got any response on it though if
i recall... but thumbs up!

kurai
23-08-05, 10:49
Nice idea, but it rather depends on there actually being someone at the other end to read them.

There will be a fucktonne of error reports and the normal KK level of "never quite enough staff to do whatever job is at hand" will quickly get swamped.

Perhaps they'll simply get automatically ignored/archived/deleted and/or the volume of error mail arriving will constitute a Denial Of Service attack and kill off KK's mail service completely.

Cynical ? *me* ?

;)

Judge
23-08-05, 11:48
Getting DDoSed by error reports would be so embarrasing.

Btw, hello Kurai not seen you for a while. o_O

Riddle
23-08-05, 14:10
Think this is a great idea. Only problem being KK's mail server crashing from the extensive reports they would receive!!

I wouldn't mind sending any info my client can offer to help solve the current issues, making it automatic is even better!!

5 stars

Superbron
23-08-05, 14:32
5 stars from me also. Make it automated with a possibility in the ini file to switch it on/off.

Judge
23-08-05, 14:34
Yeah:

AUTOERROR = "TRUE"

Or something like that. :)

retr0n
23-08-05, 17:13
Yeah:

AUTOERROR = "TRUE"

Or something like that. :)

Automated errors? :s

Tratos
23-08-05, 17:25
Automated errors? :s

As in to turn the report on and off? :p

I'd like to see something like this only if the data would be used but i feel this would be very straining on KKs limited resources, perhaps taking on a nice heap of QA Volunteers would work ;)

Is Apollo (http://forum.neocron.com/member.php?u=19357) still a QA? O_o

Dirus
23-08-05, 18:15

.... O_o Don't you...?

My coding skills are limited to my ability to figure out what the code does, and to be able to modify it to suit my needs. I just can't code from scratch as I usually get tripped up by things like missing ; in places. I find it easier to deconstruct complicated things rather then basic things.

Is Apollo (http://forum.neocron.com/member.php?u=19357) still a QA? O_o

Apollo is on leave for a little while. QA consists of Farril and myself.

-FN-
23-08-05, 18:57
I just crashed Thunderbird :) Got the window I wanted a screenshot of - People like Killer can click Don't Send and be on their way - I personally, would like to send the report :) I sent it, went through the painless 2 second window which I've also attached, and now Mozilla has some more pertinent crash data to use for bugfixing.

Toxen
23-08-05, 20:52
Automated Error reports *Thumbs up*
But I think the result would be something like this

Patching 144.. Automated Error Report system installed..

FRE

Pinging KK's mailserver
ping time out
ping time out
ping time out
ping time out

Followed by the rest of germanys net infrastructure crashing due to all the routers on the path to KK crashing.

My coding skills are limited to my ability to figure out what the code does, and to be able to modify it to suit my needs. I just can't code from scratch as I usually get tripped up by things like missing ; in places. I find it easier to deconstruct complicated things rather then basic things.

O_O....... Dirus YOUR A MODDER.... O_O now everything make sense, the dev teams a bunch of modders btw everyone misses those little ; its what a syntax checker and debuging is for.. don't tell me you guys don't have a syntax checker or don't debug your code.

Dirus
23-08-05, 22:53
O_O....... Dirus YOUR A MODDER.... O_O now everything make sense, the dev teams a bunch of modders btw everyone misses those little ; its what a syntax checker and debuging is for.. don't tell me you guys don't have a syntax checker or don't debug your code.

Err no, I'm basically the only modder, and I don't deal with the games source code. The source doesn't leave the office, and I'm not in the office :p I was more saying in general thats the extent of my coding abilities.

I hate syntax errors.

I'm in QA.. my job is to figure out whats going on, try and track down its cause, and report on it so the real coders can fix it.