PDA

View Full Version : normal vs windowmode

Mr Friendly
22-08-05, 03:52
whats better performance wise?
My Desktop size | Game Screen size
1024x768-----------1024x768
VS
1280x1024----------windowmode (looks like 1024x768)

Kozmos
22-08-05, 04:13
whats better performance wise?
My Desktop size | Game Screen size

erm... dunno, why not try both and find out ?

most likely windowed mode

Mr Friendly
22-08-05, 06:22
prob is i doubt its gunna affect in-game fps...prolly just less stress on the cpu? dunno was hopin to get some feedback from ppl who've tried both.

Koshinn
22-08-05, 08:59
I'd play windowed mode, but I can't anymore. Omega Drivers took out my ability to run NC2 windowed... the option no longer exists in my hardware config for NC2.

Nullvoid
22-08-05, 13:16
Running windowed will always be slightly worse performing...depending on how good your hardware is you may find it to still be perfectly playable...or not...

[TgR]KILLER
22-08-05, 13:18
i never used windowed mode @ all why in gods name should i lol.

Morganth
22-08-05, 14:00
I only run windowed mode on my second installed client (800*600), so that my main (full screen) client is still playable. If you decrease the screen size/monitor resolution then you should notice an increase in FPS.

Riddle
22-08-05, 14:18
Never played Window mode, never will.

I can see why people do if you have two clients but for single client, I hate all that shit round the outside.

Mr Friendly
22-08-05, 15:07
so those of u that would play windowed, question: keep my desktop reso @ 1024x768? or raise to 1280x1024?

btw reason i would want to do windowed is cuz of the ammount of times i alt+tab, whether it be for vent, AIM, email, file etc.

Dirus
23-08-05, 03:06
I primarily run NC in Windowed, tho my desktop is set to 1600x1200 with NC at 1280x1024. Then again I do have a 21" monitor so :p

IceStorm
23-08-05, 03:59
How can I set a custom resolution for Neocron? I'd like to use something widescreen to match up with my HDTV. My 9800XT has an "optimized" 720p resolution option of 1152x664 (I think). I'd like to use that.

eprodigy
23-08-05, 04:20
unrelated/mabye related as i dont have much experiance with it; can nc support a 3 monitor setup ? i just setup 3 lcd screens here very sexy

Koshinn
23-08-05, 04:22
windowed is good cause i like to alt-tab a lot... but i can't play windowed! help?

Mr Friendly
23-08-05, 04:31
windowed is good cause i like to alt-tab a lot... but i can't play windowed! help?

how come?...u get too low of fps er summin?

i switched since this morning to DX7 as FN told me ye he has alot less log in probs & alot less FREs etc with DX7 so ive chosen that instead of DX9, it doesnt black screen when i alt tab at the log in screen nemore =D thats a start ;)

just a note: im talking performance wise in the diff between windowed & normal, as in more/less/same FREs, FPS, probs in general etc.

eprodigy
23-08-05, 04:34
this has been mentioned before but; my FPS is better in windowed mode but the mouse control sucks impossible to aim... dont see how you could do anything but tradeskill in windowed mode. mabye its just me...

Mr Friendly
23-08-05, 04:57
this has been mentioned before but; my FPS is better in windowed mode but the mouse control sucks impossible to aim... dont see how you could do anything but tradeskill in windowed mode. mabye its just me...

im guessing it would be hard to aim as ur lookin at a window within a window while playing? ...i dunno, i prob wouldnt have a prob, prob would.

eprodigy
23-08-05, 06:07
...i dunno, i prob wouldnt have a prob, prob would.

lol @ too many 'prob's in one sentance i cant really understand lol...

i meant the mouse just is sluggish in window mode not to mention can sometime escape the window.

Koshinn
23-08-05, 06:54
how come?...u get too low of fps er summin?

No... the option doesn't appear. I physically cannot choose window mode. I've used it before but recently it dissapeared after installing new drivers. Problem is I need the drivers to get rid of a sync bug so... yeah... I'm stuck in fullscreen which blows.

sultana
23-08-05, 08:59
Couldn't you open the neocron.ini file and type in "WindowMode" under the option of PREFMODENAME? Then change the PREFWINDOWSIZE to whatever.

The thing I don't like about window mode, is that you can't change the gamma. And NC is normally just too dark for me.

Koshinn
23-08-05, 09:33
Couldn't you open the neocron.ini file and type in "WindowMode" under the option of PREFMODENAME? Then change the PREFWINDOWSIZE to whatever.

The thing I don't like about window mode, is that you can't change the gamma. And NC is normally just too dark for me.

Tostino had me try that a couple days ago, it forces a video option change when NC2 starts up. Aparently if "WindowMode" doesn't exist and you try to force it, NC2 makes the hardware thingy window open up. Closing it quits NC2 before it launches.

Kozmos
23-08-05, 12:22
Tostino had me try that a couple days ago, it forces a video option change when NC2 starts up. Aparently if "WindowMode" doesn't exist and you try to force it, NC2 makes the hardware thingy window open up. Closing it quits NC2 before it launches.

erm thats what happens if you fuck it up in the ini and it doesent know what to do

Koshinn
23-08-05, 15:07
erm thats what happens if you fuck it up in the ini and it doesent know what to do
Actually.. I never messed with the ini.

I used to use windowed mode, then I installed new graphics card drivers. "Remove the drivers" you might say and you'd be right, it would fix the problem. But it would create another problem, one that makes me die a LOT. When I first started up NC2 after installing the drivers, it forced me to change hardware settings on startup because the ini still had the prefmode thingy set to windowmode from before.

Dribble Joy
23-08-05, 15:28
I'd play windowed mode, but I can't anymore. Omega Drivers took out my ability to run NC2 windowed... the option no longer exists in my hardware config for NC2.
I run omega, and have run in windowed mode for years.

I used to get a horrible desktop gamma glitch when alt tabbing before, which stopped with windowed mode.

I cannot select ANYTHING in the NC2 hardware window. I do it all in the ini.

PREFDRIVER = "(D3D9) RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700 (Omega 2.6.25a)"
PREFMODENAME = "WindowMode"
PREFWINDOWSIZE = "1024x768"
PREFSOUNDDRIVER = "Generic DirectSound Driver"
PREFSOUNDMIXER = "Generic DirectSound Mixer"

Koshinn
24-08-05, 00:45
PREFDRIVER = "(D3D7) Primary Display Driver"
PREFMODENAME = "WindowMode"
PREFWINDOWSIZE = "800x600"
PREFSOUNDDRIVER = "Generic DirectSound Driver"
PREFSOUNDMIXER = "Generic DirectSound Mixer"

no work. I've tried messing with quotes, with spaces, with caps, no work. Even tried using dx9.

Dribble Joy
24-08-05, 01:30
Go to Desktop -> properties -> Settings and check what the name of the driver being used is.

You have to get it exact, or it won't work.

Mr Friendly
24-08-05, 02:37

not only gamma, i tried in-game bout a few hours ago, none of the 3 gfx options at the top (F11) did nething. though my game did look sexy =p

well, looks like this post prolly wasnt much help =/ plenty of ppl sayin good FPS & less probs with everything with windowmode, but votes sayin otherwise =/

Koshinn
24-08-05, 04:16
Go to Desktop -> properties -> Settings and check what the name of the driver being used is.

You have to get it exact, or it won't work.

That's not the problem, if I use dx9 it changes it to what you're saying.

sultana
24-08-05, 05:46
What's the synch bug btw? Because if it's the "rubber band" effect after using a clickable zoneline, forcing v-synch on does fix the problem for some people.

Though if not, then I don't really have a clue :rolleyes:

Mr Friendly
24-08-05, 07:47
so how exactly would i go about enabling V-Sync?

it doesnt have any possible downsides does it?..

Koshinn
24-08-05, 10:50
What's the synch bug btw? Because if it's the "rubber band" effect after using a clickable zoneline, forcing v-synch on does fix the problem for some people.

Though if not, then I don't really have a clue :rolleyes:

That's it exactly. My normal drivers do not allow me to enable v-synch, so I have to use the omega drivers to do so. Using the omega drivers has removed my ability to play windowed.

sultana
24-08-05, 11:34
so how exactly would i go about enabling V-Sync?

it doesnt have any possible downsides does it?..
For me:

Desktop -> (right-click) -> properties -> settings -> advanced -> my graphics card tab (6600GT) -> Performance and Quality Settings -> scroll down to Vertical Synch -> Cick on it and uncheck "application controlled", then move the slider to "on".

The only "downside" afaik, is that it limits your fps to that of which your monitor can handle. So for me, it limits my fps to 62. Which is hardly a downside. I haven't noticed any performance lag at all, and well, it did fix the rubber band bug for me.

And @ Koshinn:

Scary O_o

Buy a 6600GT :D :lol:

Argent
24-08-05, 11:58
I don't understand how anyone can stand watching non-V-synced image, tearing looks horrible and the fps loss is minimal.

And Sultana, how can you watch 62Hz image at all? My eyes are ready to pop out if look at the Windows loading screen(60Hz) for few secs....

sultana
24-08-05, 12:04
And Sultana, how can you watch 62Hz image at all? My eyes are ready to pop out if look at the Windows loading screen(60Hz) for few secs....
Erm, I pull through and find a way...

Koshinn
24-08-05, 12:07
And @ Koshinn:

Scary O_o

Buy a 6600GT :D :lol:

Laptop... ATI Radeon 9600m.

62Hz isn't bad... I don't notice the difference from 62 to 70, 80, 200, although my monitor is also capped at 62hz. What bothers you?