PDA

View Full Version : GM/Mod Recruitment

Odin
19-08-05, 21:47
As part of the transition of Pandore to the new international PvP-oriented server, French-speaking gamers will also be made welcome on the existing international server, Terra. This means that we need to be able to provide GM support to native French speakers on both servers. We are also looking for english european volunteers who can lend their support during the morning/afternoon hours.
We are therefore currently taking applications for a number of new Gamemasters with the following requirements:

* Age 21 and over (you will need proof of ID)
* Have a clean record in the community
* Have at least 4 months Neocron experience
* Fluent in both French and English (For French Applicants only)

If you wish to be sent an application form, please email carbonite@reakktor.com. Thank you, and good luck! Also when you send in an application please note whether you are applying for the french or english positions.

During this transition we are also in need of new moderators. We will be taking on volunteers for 1 English, 2 German and 2 French positions. If you are interested please apply via my private message box PM (http://forum.neocron.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=1966) if you fit the requirements listed below. Please note GM applicants need not apply as Carbonite will forward all applicants he does not use for the GM positions to me.

Requirements for Moderators:
* Age 18 and over (You will need proof of ID)
*Have a clean record in the community
*Have at least 4 months Neocron experience
*Fluent in both French-English and German-English (For French/German applicants)

General Questions/Answers:
Q: Why is the requirement age for GM's 21 when the moderators is only 18?
A: Due to past behaviour of under 21 GM's the age was raised to weed out undesirables.
Q: Why do the French and German need to be fluent in English.
A: This is due to having to work with the english team closely and many of us are too lazy to learn other languages like myself :)

**All positions are volunteer at this time.

Tratos
19-08-05, 22:02
Shiney, nice to see your getting ready to support the French community fully, is there going to be a new French lead moderator btw?

Another year for me to wait as im 17 atm :p although i doubt my forum record is as clean and shiney as it needs to be.

Asurmen Spec Op
19-08-05, 22:13
two years for meh :'(

[TgR]KILLER
19-08-05, 22:54
oh oh i can finally say.. I R 21 ! :p

Transformer
20-08-05, 00:03
Even if i could be a GM i'd be a bad idea....yeh.

Opar
20-08-05, 00:08
Oh dear. Three years to apply for mod, 6 years for GM.

Watson, pass me my razorblade, lifes not worth it anymore o_O

Rogue Arson
20-08-05, 01:24
I'd apply, but the more I think about it, the more I realise it sounds too much like work to me. I'm lazy =\

[PiN]Fluffy
20-08-05, 01:40
Hmmm Would u hire me? Im only 15 >.<

naimex
20-08-05, 01:59
Its nice to know that youīre seeking one..

But wouldnīt it make more sense just posting this in the french community part?

Btw, itīs not a complaint, I love being informed about stuff, itīs just a question of interest.

EDIT :

Nevermind, just read it again, missed the part saying also needing european volunteers.

ZoVoS
20-08-05, 03:44
not 21 *sobs* and a mod just dont cut the mustard... oh well

NC TRADE : selling forged birth certificates, 1 mil gp per
DOY TRADE : selling forged birth certificates, 10mil gp per

:p

Toxen
20-08-05, 11:34
Gotta say even though im a few months off 21, I don't think I'd apply for I know how much flak GM's not sure if I could withstand that at the moment and for those of you that act like kids and are thinking of applying I have a few things for you to think about, You can't spawn anything as a GM without autherisation from above, and all your actions as a GM are monitored.

[TgR]KILLER
20-08-05, 11:47
gm's aren't there to spawn loads of stuff they there to solve problems as such. if your planning to do an event ( as a egm ) you do need clearance to spawn mobs and to spawn boss mobs you need double clearance as they spawn "rare" weapons / drugs etc and at the end you gotta write up an report on how the event went to clear up all the stuff you spawned because yes its being monitored. all good tbh prevents "gm's" to spawn stuff randomly for people.

Toxen
20-08-05, 11:52
Yup we all rember the last time we had a couple of rouge GM's in the ranks of neocron.

[VP]Orion
20-08-05, 11:56
Odin/Carbonite:

If I got this right, you were only looking for Support GMs? And about both positions, are you supposed to work on a permanent schedule (meaning always hours xx to xx) or rather xx hours a week? Im asking since I have lots of spare time since I dont work every day but when I do work I often work overtime.

[TgR]KILLER
20-08-05, 12:47
i just mailed i'll see about times and such when they mail back ( if they do ) comming few months i'm finishing college after that i'm home free ;x

naimex
20-08-05, 13:35
Orion']Odin/Carbonite:

If I got this right, you were only looking for Support GMs? And about both positions, are you supposed to work on a permanent schedule (meaning always hours xx to xx) or rather xx hours a week? Im asking since I have lots of spare time since I dont work every day but when I do work I often work overtime.

Volunteer Moderator Positions :

1 English
2 German
2 French

Volunteer GameMaster Positions :

X English
X French/English <-- Main Focus
X German

European Volunteers (InGame - non-GM Helpers) :

X amount <-- Main Focus (morning/afternoon hours (GMT+1 / +2)

Thats the way Iīve come to understand Odinīs post

Mr Kot
20-08-05, 13:56
Orion']are you supposed to work on a permanent schedule (meaning always hours xx to xx) or rather xx hours a week? Im asking since I have lots of spare time since I dont work every day but when I do work I often work overtime.
They're not exactly gonna tie you to a chair. It's not employment and you don't have to work any minimum / maximum / specific hours: just do as much as you can when you can.

Like Naimex said, Odin is looking for people in the GMT / CET timezone area who can help out with tickets etc. Anyone who is online in the morning can see the "runners waiting" in the ticket queue (not to mention the people crying for a GM on OOC), so there must be a desperate shortage of GMs on at that time. The queue usually goes down in the evening, but runner's aren't gonna wait all day for a ticket. It wasn't long ago i read a forum post complaining about the waiting time for ingame tickets to be answered, so for those 21+ doing nothing in the day, get writing!

Judge
20-08-05, 14:44
And I'm still underage, for both. Although, I doubt that I've got the clean forum record for mod post nor the patience and time for the GM post. Ah well.

Gotterdammerung
20-08-05, 17:56
btw, they do take into account your forum rap sheet for the GM position as well. The goal is to avoid problematic people.

giga191
20-08-05, 19:31
KILLER']oh oh i can finally say.. I R 21 ! :p you would still never be a GM...

Fluffy']Hmmm Would u hire me? Im only 15 >.< There are other things to consider than age.

Original monk
20-08-05, 20:08
the goal is to avoid problematic people.

ow ok, nm

Dargeshaad
20-08-05, 21:52
btw, they do take into account your forum rap sheet for the GM position as well. The goal is to avoid problematic people.
So we're talking about 0.1% of the community left? :lol:

Odin
20-08-05, 21:58
So we're talking about 0.1% of the community left? :lol:

We take it on a case by case basis by the number of posts made, number of warnings given over set amount of time. We treat it as a grey area because nothing is black and white.

Yes the gm portion is for support GM's.

Dargeshaad
20-08-05, 22:39
I'm pretty sure I blew my chances for ever becomming a GM a month or so ago by stating my oppinion about a GM ingame thus getting myself banned for 72 hours.
Could have been fun to see it from the other side I guess....ah well best of luck to the new applicants

Odin
20-08-05, 22:50
I'm pretty sure I blew my chances for ever becomming a GM a month or so ago by stating my oppinion about a GM ingame thus getting myself banned for 72 hours.
Could have been fun to see it from the other side I guess....ah well best of luck to the new applicants

Like I said I'll take it on a case by case basis.

aKe`cj
20-08-05, 23:18
...by stating my oppinion about a GM ingame thus getting myself banned for 72 hours..

this would be the very first ban thats solely based on stating opinions or putting up criticism... at least by what I've observed in the past years.
It's simply a difference to say "I think GM xy behaved wrong in situation xz, as he did xyz" or to say [ edited ] (I'm not saying you did express the latter - not at all :) ). Apart from that you should express your concerns about the support via supportwatch@neocron.com - this way you ensure someone reads it who has sufficiant rights to kick the GMs butt :p
My personal experience is, that you can do a lot of griefing and exploiting the game mechanisms without receiving a ban, let even a warning. If you got banned for 72 hours you did something nasty and I dont want to have GMs who behave that way with their tools & power provided.

[TgR]KILLER
20-08-05, 23:19
We take it on a case by case basis by the number of posts made, number of warnings given over set amount of time.

is that official warnings or warnings as in the ones you might keep for yourself ? as as far as i know i never got an "official" warning or maybe i forgot about it. got warned once for something but that wasn't something major wasn't ever banned :p

but you also count number of posts.. gues its a bad thing i got more then you Odin ? ;x

Odin
21-08-05, 02:47
All I'm saying is if you want to submit then submit. Never assume anything. What have you got to lose beyond some free time :p

naimex
21-08-05, 05:25
All I'm saying is if you want to submit then submit. Never assume anything. What have you got to lose beyond some free time :p

Hmm...

Self-Respect uhm..

And I bet you laugh degradingly at bad boys trying to become GMs :p

Hmm... I think that was just about that..

:p :p :p

Omnituens
21-08-05, 06:02
Just how clean is clean? :P

Dribble Joy
22-08-05, 20:44
Considering I am now a racist for some reason, I don't think there's much point in me applying to these anymore.

Mr Kot
23-08-05, 02:34
Considering I am now a racist for some reason, I don't think there's much point in me applying to these anymore.For "some" reason meaning: a real reason or an imaginary one?

Don't be put off by wicked rumours... usually, that's all they are. I've been the victim of rumours too.

If your conscience is clear, so will be your rap sheet. You've nothing to lose. Get writing ;)

Mr Friendly
23-08-05, 05:33
Fluffy']Hmmm Would u hire me? Im only 15 >.<

the legal age limit in the US for NC is mature, 17+ .....

MrTrip
23-08-05, 07:35

AKA NO! :lol:

I have applied before....no response...meh :rolleyes:

Bugs Gunny
23-08-05, 09:46
So, if i become a gm i can change my own name? :-)

Original monk
23-08-05, 13:07
So, if i become a gm i can change my own name? :-)

if youre a GM you can even change youre own hair bugs !

edit: ontopic: why is there no question to answer like wich is youre favourite shampoo and what colour and smell does it has ?

also, the previous GM's that got accepted do they had to change there name ? and keep there other (player)identity's anonymous ? so for example if bugs became a GM can he call emself bugs gunny ?

this question is there because there are GM's with nonmythology names ... or where these there names allready before the mythologyname-idea was there ?

i dunno, i always asked myself this

Dribble Joy
23-08-05, 14:32
For "some" reason meaning: a real reason or an imaginary one?

I made some comments in a cirtain thread a while ago, which someone decided was horrificly racist. Not stopping to actualy find out what a 'chav' was....

Anyway, considering how many times I have applied and been turned down, I don't think it's worht persuing anymore. Besides, I don't want to be a mod or a SGM really, I would preffer to do more behind the scenes stuff like scripting and balance stuff, which clearly they don't want me anywhere near.

Morganth
23-08-05, 14:59

For buying it. Anyone with parental consent can play the game, because the age limit only refers to purchasing stuff. If someone over the age limit buys the game, they are assuming responsibility for the person who uses it, and is showing that in their opinion it is ok for them to play.

Age limits on anything (except films in cinemas) are overridden by parental guidance, because the parent/guardian can just say they bought it and someone else plays it :rolleyes:

Dribble Joy
23-08-05, 15:05
Depends if the age limit is a legally binding one, which the PEGI ratings are not.

Afaik, letting an under age person view an 18 rated film is illegal, so the same would apply to a video game, if it were rated in the same manner.

Gotterdammerung
23-08-05, 17:10
also, the previous GM's that got accepted do they had to change there name ? and keep there other (player)identity's anonymous ? so for example if bugs became a GM can he call emself bugs gunny ?

No, he can't be a GM called "Bugs Gunny" and still have a personal character by the same name (if thats what you mean). However once someone is a GM discretion is the rule. Usually as soon as a pvt character is linked with a gm character by the players is when their service is terminated. It's not a job for people who can't keep a secret.

Not all the GM names are Norse in origin, I think it's just prefered you to pick something that sounds like it or one that seems futureistic

P.s. Stay on topic please

Original monk
23-08-05, 17:26
ok thanx ! that clears things up, i can more and more understand why GM's need to be discrete, yust the fact that when i see a GM say sumthing ingame on help for example and he gets bombarded with 300 questions from 'hey can you help me get out of synch, i filed a helpticket allready 14 minutes ago' to 'hey man can you spawn me 3 DS's and some 5slotted CS's' or 'hey man is the ZOO ingame next patch?' says enough allready :)

so when i look at the big picture a GM has to be helpfull, discrete, polite, have steel nerves, time on its hands and tons of patience all togheter in one 8| darn :)

Dribble Joy
23-08-05, 17:28
The world of customer service....

Mr Friendly
23-08-05, 21:09
For buying it. Anyone with parental consent can play the game, because the age limit only refers to purchasing stuff. If someone over the age limit buys the game, they are assuming responsibility for the person who uses it, and is showing that in their opinion it is ok for them to play.

Age limits on anything (except films in cinemas) are overridden by parental guidance, because the parent/guardian can just say they bought it and someone else plays it :rolleyes:

ah ye, good point >_< started classes back today so ill have "knowledge" in me head in a lil bit to not make a fool of myself :-p ;)

Not all the GM names are Norse in origin, I think it's just prefered you to pick something that sounds like it or one that seems futureistic

P.s. Stay on topic please
a name that matches with the game's setting in other words, far into the future, or cyberpunkish, or b/c so far into the future & wide use of plasma & elemental psionic abilities, fantasy also. nething that matches the game in other words.

imper1um
24-08-05, 06:43
I've been a GM too many times, and a Mod too many times...looks like another chance to apply for Mod and think about GMship a little ways down the road, possibly. :) I'm a glutton for punishment.

eprodigy
24-08-05, 07:01
oh no if you let imperium be a GM i quit nc :p

Mr Kot
25-08-05, 16:26
VOTE STEBEN FOR GM!!!!!!!1111

Bugs Gunny
25-08-05, 16:56
I think it must be REALY hard to be a gm. Especialy if you want to be a fair one. Personaly i think i might have made a good one, a long time ago.
But i've changed too much in my attitude towards other players and the whole faction alliances and storyline thing.

Sure, i can get in character, but it seems i always turn out to be either a policeman, a sexual deviant or a totaly evil pker.
I wonder what Dr Freud would have said about that......

No matter how much i bitch at the game and the devs, i'll allways respect the gm's for their work. Even if they have to slap my hands (which hasn't happened so far).

Odin
25-08-05, 19:40
I'm still in need of at least double the applications that have come in so far. I'll be taking responses until Monday.

imper1um
26-08-05, 03:15
Believe me, it is extremely hard to go from player to GM and be fair. I did it with Everquest. I played for 3 months and I helped out too many new players and one of the GMs recommended me for Support GMship, then I kept on submitting event ideas and they made me with Support/Event, then the Event Head GM went to another job, the guy who was head GM kept giving me his password to run events...plus, I was in a Guild that had about 80 members. Keeping my secret from them was extremely hard, but I kept to the GM code.

It just figures that from there, there was always a GM or Mod opening open at every game I went to. :/

Imper1um

naimex
26-08-05, 03:25
Iīm very limited in what I can apply to, since I am so easy to recognize, due to my way of writing sentences, and my personality is pretty transparent.

I am sort of short of time these days, with school just started and such...

but well...

if the game needs people, and if I am deemed worthy and capable of holding such a responsibility, then so be it.

So in light of Odinīs last post, I have mailed Carbonite with an application.

Edit :

VOTE STEBEN FOR GM!!!!!!!1111

Who is Steben?

Asurmen Spec Op
26-08-05, 07:17
Steben is a player on terra, is doy now iirc.
Is reportedly a scammer....

I cant say any definants....

RogerRamjet
26-08-05, 11:55
I think the age restrictions a little unfair. Im 17 and have played the game since mid 2003. I think the experience should be a more important factor.

Original monk
26-08-05, 13:08
i would like to be an EGM and only be busy with organising events and entertaining the hilevel playerbase ... carte blanche ffcourse :D

i know it doesnt work like that tough ... so ill yust keep playing as i do now :)

i should try to make an event once :)

imper1um
26-08-05, 19:44
The Age Restriction is actually completely fair, unfortunately, it limits the amount of people that can actually submit an application. It's all too well known that emotions get too much in the way below age 17 :p

Bugs Gunny
26-08-05, 20:32
Well, i'm 30 and .... i have to admit... i've cried sometimes after age 17 too :D

Go ahead now, flame me... realy... flame me, you know you want to :angel:

imper1um
26-08-05, 20:35
You destroyed Bugs Gunny, you bastard!

Saiboku
26-08-05, 23:20
Fluffy']Hmmm Would u hire me? Im only 15 >.<

u are not allowed to play the game then.

Bugs Gunny
26-08-05, 23:26
He had so much dust in him he died from allergies :-)

Odin
29-08-05, 21:12
Thank you for your applications. I will begin processing them tommorow and at that time those who applied shall be grilled and skewered under intense 3rd degree questioning :D

Applications are now closed.