PDA

View Full Version : 25-35k for a car...what would you get?

bounty
12-08-05, 11:18
I just recently graduated college and have secured a nice job. I have roughly 30k to play with. I could go higher than 35k but not by much and would strongly prefer to stay around 30k if possible (graduating college shouldn't be a rush to get into debt, should it? :)). Just wondering what some of your opinions are. Keep in mind I'm 6'4" 215lbs. So I definitely can't fit into anything too small. I've test drove a few cars and sat in a few that I completely ruled out. I want to stay in a sports car or a sports sedan category. I also want to buy a new car, so used is not an option I want.

Things I've ruled out:

Nissan 350z - too small, not at all practical...has tire feathering problem

Mazda rx-8 - too small, has other problems, bad resale value, horrid mpg
Any other nissan- I've determined they weren't built for tall people.

Mustang - too boy racer, I need something more civil.

Things I'm considering:
BMW 325i - Good size, decent luxury, absolute blast to drive. I question the reliability and they are definitely pricey.

Infiniti G35- Heard good things about these, haven't even sat in one. They are slowly becoming the "ricer car" around here and I want to avoid that. Great power and handling from what I've heard and a decent price. Don't have a dealer around me.

Audi A4- Don't know much about these cars but I like the looks and hear the power is fun.

Mini Cooper S - I hear these cars are one of the best damn times you can have on the road. Extremely customizable. Great power to weight ratio. A steal of a price! Cons: Questionable styling, size, and wonder about how practical they are (how much they can carry, passengers, highway driving). Death trap?

I might wait to see if the lexus is250 or is350 is decent but I think it will pry just be like the bmw except not quite as good.

Caddilac CTS: suprisingly awesome vehicle. Test drove it. Great comfort, good price...I don't know if it had the guts I quite wanted though.

Any suggestions?

Bugs Gunny
12-08-05, 12:15
Lexus outshines BMW in quality and reliability any day.

From working on cars myself, i've become a great fan of toyota and honda. It's amazing what those cars can do, even after they exceeded "normal" engine life.

Xylaz
12-08-05, 12:33
aye agree with bugs completely, though from my personal experience i advice nissan.

I've read in the newest report that new models of those wierd korean cars, KYA or something like that, are pretty good too.

Tratos
12-08-05, 13:05
New Mini Cooper S's drink petrol like theres no tommorow and nin my opinion the interior (which includes placement of objects in the dash + style) is really, really shite.

I think Minis kick ass (the old ones) but the new ones (my sister has one) really piss me off, lol

Hippieman
12-08-05, 13:50
Well most KIA are a bit on the small side so he may feel cramped, except with the AMANTI. Damn that car is one sexy bitch, hell looks like a classy Mercedes-Benz. And while I may not work on cars, i've been surrounded by Toyota all my life. Extermely reliable, hell my sister's 1989 Toyota Van that she bought brand new is at 300,000+ miles, she just does the basic maintenence and that sucker is still running like brand new and hasn't had a single problem. And while you may be looking for a newer car and such, I would recommend a 98-00' Toyota Camry, great ride and a damn sexy car, especially in black.

Brammers
12-08-05, 14:17
Out of that list I would go for the Audi!

Dribble Joy
12-08-05, 14:18
Lotus Exige.

[TgR]KILLER
12-08-05, 15:38
hyundai coupe :p

Bugs Gunny
12-08-05, 15:43
Bah, if it's gasoline, go for honda,toyota,lexus, acura.

If it's Diesel, toyota or VW

Rabiator
12-08-05, 20:08
Independent of brand, getting a 3-4 year old used car might be interesting. In Germany where I live, many high-priced cars go for half their original price at that age.
A few years ago, my brother got a (4 year old?) Saab 9000 Turbo for 30k DM, which is a bit over 15k in Euros or $19k, and half of the price when it was new.
Nice car, definitely big enough for a 6'4" person and quite powerful (close to the BMW 325i).

Transformer
12-08-05, 20:09
I'd go with the Infiniti G35 as i have one sitting my garage right now ;)

Amazing handling and very nice power. has a nice feel to it when driving and you can feel the sheer power behind the thing without having to mat it
complaints i have about it....very touchy brakes and that the G35 is quite similar to the 350z since they do have the same engine but they are different.

test driving is always your friend

Things i wouldn't get:
the BMW simply because of the reliability behind it. just to fix the front bumper it'll cost you 3600 bucks right there....i know lol. my friend ran into the back of our jeep. he''s not a quick one

The mini cooper because those are small cars lol. you be fitting anything large in though. even the trunk space is just horrible...can't even fit dead bodies in them! the trunk space is acutally like 2' high by 3' wide with about 3' deep. thats not very big and it even be smaller...

Other Suggestions for Cars:
Acura RSX Type S
Subaru WRX STI

yeh thats about my only suggestions lol.

good luck finding your car. just make sure whatever you get its gonna be a car you'll have fun in haha.

bounty
12-08-05, 20:40
Yeah I looked at the wrx STI, and I really love the car. My only complaints were a fairly bland interior and no sense of any luxury at all whatsoever. Not that I am complaining, since it has race heritage and not luxury minded. Just think they should have thrown a leather seat option in there with such an expensive car.

I will probably test drive an acura rsx type S and an acura TL, both have gotten great reviews. RSX might be a bit small but I think it's there with all the other features I want.

I'm probably gonna test drive an audi and the bmw today. I am certainly aware of the BMW's reliability issues but it seems that people either have problems or none at all, so who knows. I certainly don't need my car in the shop all the time and might complately turn me off of the idea. I did drive a 318ti around in high school for a week and it was an absolute blast and that is why i'm a little partial. But I'm definitely still very level headed.

Fun to drive is super important to me. Right up there with safety, resale value, and comfort.

edit: Transformer: did you get the coupe or the sedan?

Transformer
12-08-05, 21:16
edit: Transformer: did you get the coupe or the sedan?

coupe. only thing is that it might feel small for you when getting in but once you in its pretty roomy. seats are quite adjustable and they move up and down so your head won't smack the top haha.

if you want pics i can put some up if you want.

Jesterthegreat
12-08-05, 21:27
i'd spend a grand or 2 on a car and use the money for more interesting things.

Transformer
12-08-05, 21:28
i'd spend a grand or 2 on a car and use the money for more interesting things.

when your like me and your life IS cars you think slightly differently. spend less money on other things so you can put more into your car lol.

bounty
13-08-05, 00:08
Unfortunately Jester, i'm a business man and every week I'll be traveling at least one day a week by car, sometimes twice and for about 3 hours each time.

Also, I love the thrill and excitement of driving (esp with a manual transmission). For me, I often go out and drive around just because it is so relaxing.

I am fortunate enough that I'll have a job that allows me to spend my money on both a car and other things without being too worried about finances.

Besides, I just got out of college and although saving and investing is extremely important to me, I want to have a little fun with my money for the first year or two while i transition into the working life. I don't see the harm in that.

Vae Victis
13-08-05, 01:56
mhmm Subaru Impreza tbh...

Toyota Corrola (whatever) maybe?

Nissan Primera w/ cruisecontrol etc etc etc (my dad has.. ermm had one, ever since I've got my license I keep telling him to take my moms fucking jeep (suzuki grand vitara) and the amazing thing.. he really does take my moms car!)

driving around is the best thing.. go to the highway.. relax a bit.. put some (loud) music on.
best thing ever.. no whines (cant answer phone here in holland :p)
noone telling you where to go (unless you've got navigation on)

my "NavRay" has a female voice.. quite relaxing.
what if you could have a african-american as your navigation-voice?
"y0 maaan sup take the next turn right you know aaiiight?"

or maybe a historican?
"you should have taken the right turn 3 blocks ago"

maaaan the african-american thingy sounds cool.. sounds relaxing

Tratos
13-08-05, 02:35
Id much prefer GPS (Navray :p) with the voice of Mr T. "Turn right foo'!" and when you go past an airport for the sheer comedy value "I aint getting on no plane foo'!"

Ahem.

Rogue Arson
13-08-05, 02:40
I almost hate to say it, but I just bought the new Dodge Magnum with the big ol' hemi. I highly recommend it, unless the station wagon style turns ya off. Then... see if you can't preorder a charger. Tons of power, great handling, and hell.. its a hemi.

Transformer
13-08-05, 02:49
I almost hate to say it, but I just bought the new Dodge Magnum with the big ol' hemi. I highly recommend it, unless the station wagon style turns ya off. Then... see if you can't preorder a charger. Tons of power, great handling, and hell.. its a hemi.

new chargers suck. nothing compared to the reputation of the old ones. the suspension is way to soft as well.

Dribble Joy
13-08-05, 03:14
Impretzas used to be OK, now they are for rich chavs and posers, get a real car.

bounty
13-08-05, 04:21
Test drove the BMW 325i today with 6 speed transmission. It was simply awesome. Ran like a f-in watch. If I could count on it staying out of the maintenence bay, it would be the one I'd get. Of course, haven't tried the G35 yet. Lack of infiniti dealers near me is a serious problem. Also, the car is faster but I don't know if it would be as seamless and smooth as the BMW. Dunno. I don't like the prestige or "badge" that comes with a bmw, but it seriously is an amazing thing to drive. Just wish it didn't have a snob like image...but if a car is good and expensive that is bound to happen. Like it was mentioned..wrx have started to fall in this category.

Pungent77
13-08-05, 04:39
I'd go with a CTS......they are pretty damn nice.
My wife bought a CTS-V about 5 months ago for around $44k, and the 5.7 liter engine is nasty. we also test drove the V-6 CTS and it was decent as well.

My car is a 2003 Mercedes E-Class 500 5.0L, which I got lucky....bought from an elderly Florida couple for an unrealisic $21k

It's all about what you like, If you like BMW get one....who cares about what other people think (snob image). It is all about you.

A G35 is just about the same car as the 350z. I think the G35 looks better inside and out.

As for Lexus, my friend had an IS 300...I thought it was ok, but I was not impressed. If I were to get a lexus it would be a 2006 GS but they run around $45-50k+ with decent options

And with your size....I'd stay away from Japanese vehicles. I am 6 foot 1, 220 pounds and struggle with getting in and out of them. My brother in-law is fuckin' ogre, close to 7 feet tall and 300 pounds...used to drive a impreza. did not look right.

Oh and DJ our American culture is different than yours.....we do not have Chavs and such. Of course we have our own "stereotyped" genres.

But it is ignorance none-the-less to classify someone by the car they drive or the clothes they wear. I'm glad I was brought up better than that.

Gotterdammerung
13-08-05, 05:31
Wait it out and buy something practical in the beginning. This statement says it best "graduating college shouldn't be a rush to get into debt, should it?". Take advantage of all those employee discount sales the detroit 3 are running and get something new with good resale/trade-in value. There is a reason why bankruptsies are soaring. Partially because CC companies giving students cards while in college with no viable job hence unreliable repayment so they grad with 40k in consumer debt and another reason being people getting themselves into debt right when starting out.

Keep the 30k, wait 6 months till the housing bubble bursts and use it as the down to buy yourself your first property which if possible you'll live in AND rent out the basement apartment till you do some minor improvements and roll it in 2 years for 50-100k profit (depending on where it is)

Wait till then when you have a little FU money and buy the TT.

bounty
13-08-05, 06:54
That is a great idea gotter. Something along those lines was definitely in the works, but I think like most people with their first taste of a little extra cash want to go out and reward themselves. I'd like to find a balance if possible.

Xylaz
13-08-05, 07:53
We're living at the age of consumerism, you are what you buy :p so it is really more about your personal taste and people cant really help you with that. Just buy something you like or fall in love with - at the reasonable price though ;)

Guess i'm too old for all of this as i - for a change - cant think of any sensible way to spend my money (well apart from buying a house ;) ). I got some old nissan jeep and i'm pretty fine with it. The only thing i regularly invest into are books (my job requires it though), music albums and computer (though i dont really have anything special). Wierd eh?

Rabiator
13-08-05, 12:57
Keep the 30k, wait 6 months till the housing bubble bursts and use it as the down to buy yourself your first property which if possible you'll live in AND rent out the basement apartment till you do some minor improvements and roll it in 2 years for 50-100k profit (depending on where it is)

Careful there.
The process of bursting may be slower than you think, with falling market values over a few years. I took a hit myself when investing "after" the bursting of the stock market bubble - only to discover that it was not done bursting :(
So don't buy right after the first drop in prices and expect a profit. Be patient and watch the crash unfold for a while.

Vae Victis
13-08-05, 13:19
Impretzas used to be OK, now they are for rich chavs and posers, get a real car.Tell us what you're driving...
all I know is I always picked the subaru impreza @ GT3 for the ps2.
hrhr and always won the race... eventually... :)

and wtf is a chav? I've heard it before, even did some are-you-a-chav-test
(8% chav btw) still don't know what it is.
(plus are you racist DJ? had the feeling you dislike chavs, just a question, not some flame from a NCAT member, tbh)

Dribble Joy
13-08-05, 13:41
[ edited ]

I don't drive at the moment, as my car shoved a con rod through the side of it's crank case half way down the M3 one night. It's currently being restored. It's a VW beetle.

Oh and DJ our American culture is different than yours.....we do not have Chavs and such. Of course we have our own "stereotyped" genres.

But it is ignorance none-the-less to classify someone by the car they drive or the clothes they wear. I'm glad I was brought up better than that.
How wonderfully high and mighty, I don't supposed you considered for a moment whether I was being tongue in cheek or not.

The Impretza has a reputation, it IS big, brash, ugly and 'in your face'.

RogerRamjet
13-08-05, 13:51
Middlesbrough 5th Worse Place In England (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4136342.stm)

FTW.

I really dont understand this. Ive never been mugged/stabbed/got pregnant in my teens, and i happen to quite like Middlesbrough :(

Vae Victis
13-08-05, 13:52
I don't even have a car of my own..
I'm driving
Suzuki Grand Vitara (my moms car)
Nissan Primera (my dads car (from his work))
mhmm some stationwagen from a friend of mine

I'm gonna buy a car from another mate of me.
he has 2 cars for sale.
a BMW, for 3k
and another one, forgot the name :/ for 4k.
Ive seen that 4k-car, it looks nice, drives pretty good.
my current salary is about 800 euros a month.
in 5 months I'll be making about 2k a month, but then I'll be away ALOT.
so I'm having 2nd thoughts about buying a car, since I'll be gone for 27 weeks, not able to drive.
I'm gonna buy a car when I get back after those 27 weeks though.. if my mate still has that car for sale.
if not, I'm either buying a VW Golf or a Toyota Corrola, havent decided yet.

RogerRamjet
13-08-05, 13:54
Yeh, then you can get your ass to my house mate :D

Pungent77
13-08-05, 17:29
i'm a business man and every week I'll be traveling at least one day a week by car, sometimes twice and for about 3 hours each time.

Also, I love the thrill and excitement of driving (esp with a manual transmission). For me, I often go out and drive around just because it is so relaxing.

Have you checked out any decent "newer" used BMW M3's?
or have you checked ebay motors? that is how I bought my Mercedes...can be good if you are willing to travel or have the car shipped to you.

@Rogue Arson, Yeah I was surprised at the Dodge Magnum. It is nice....test drove a 300C and Charger last week with some friends. I used to hate chrysler/dodge due to a bunk dodge intrepid I had back in the day, but it seems like they are getting it together now.

Just make sure you make a decision that you are happy with, since purchasing a car is a major investment..as is buying a house.

Gotterdammerung
13-08-05, 18:01
No politics please. For those who seem to have very strong racial/prejudicial views and are showing their colors in this thread please find the appropriate hate sites out there to post on.

naimex
13-08-05, 18:41
150000 - 210000 Kr.

Thats a lot of money... Denmark has very expensive car prices, but for that amount you can get a lot of normal cars from brand-new..

but since its an "out-dated" car, ie. not being sold from stores anymore, itīs hard to tell a direct price.

but I would probably go for a "Peugeot 405 MI-16 Turbo with Compressor" thatīs a mean beast, that can be used as a family car, a pimp-ride, a moving soundstudio or a racecar.

In proper condition were talking about a car that can do well over 200 km an hour, and has an accelleration speed that WILL mash you into your seat.

But it can also be the family car, nice and gentle ride, that is good on the road, can take pretty sharp corners easily, only problem Iīve experienced is a hard-clutch but some people prefer it that way, and it can be adjusted with the right set of tools, otherwise you will get used to it.

itīs a pretty cheap car, you could most likely acquire a good one for 60000 kr (about 10000 dollars), and then you can do repairs on it if needed, and upgrades, along with other nice additions such as aluminium rims, leathercabin or the likes.

All in all, a price far below the limit you set, for a wonderfull vehicle.

There are many far better alternatives if you want a more beastlooking car, or a more roomy car.

But my choice would go on an MI16, simply because it really is a good car, that you can use for almost everything.

Here is an example of what it could look like, and yes I know this isnīt the prettiest example, but itīs a good one.

http://elementfengshui.tripod.com/KimS405_1.jpg

http://elementfengshui.tripod.com/KimS405_2.jpg

http://elementfengshui.tripod.com/KimS405_3.jpg

http://elementfengshui.tripod.com/KimS405_4.jpg

http://elementfengshui.tripod.com/KimS405_5.jpg

Jesterthegreat
13-08-05, 18:54
i own an old vauxhall astra.

for me driving is just a way to get around... as long as it runs and holds people... and has a nice stereo (not a chav "stereo costs more than the car" thing though... just nice quality)

of course thats just me. you gotta do what you gotta do.

Dribble Joy
13-08-05, 19:00
Some people take things way too seriously (not you gotters)...

Anyway, buy an Aston.

Jesterthegreat
13-08-05, 19:07
lancer evo (http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/action/quicklook/make_vch/Mitsubishi/make_id_int/26/model_vch/Lancer%20Evolution/newUsed/new/series_id_int/38927/breadcrumbs/hp%2CResearch%2Ccatsearch/virsection/summary)

BMW Z4 Roadster (http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/action/quicklook/make_vch/BMW/make_id_int/5/model_vch/Z4/newUsed/new/series_id_int/38565/breadcrumbs/hp%2CResearch%2Ccatsearch/virsection/summary)

Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible (http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/action/quicklook/make_vch/Toyota/make_id_int/37/model_vch/MR2%20Spyder/newUsed/new/series_id_int/38371/breadcrumbs/hp%2CResearch%2Ccatsearch/virsection/summary)

my knowledge of cars is based soley on computer games and whatt i found on some american pricing website... so take these suggestions as you will ;)

naimex
13-08-05, 19:45
the images worked fine at start, but theyve turned into ugly tripod images, can an admin plz make them links instead of images?

Vae Victis
13-08-05, 20:51
Yeh, then you can get your ass to my house mate :DI will go to england eventually.
I have to kick chopo (biochimp) his ass, then offcourse give weed to magnason (ch1n th3 m4g). plus I heard Jester is giving away free beers, can't miss that :D
then offcourse go to Project Blue (the real one, not me)
and theeeeeeen?
and then I really gotta go visit your place roger, then we (you, ramic and me, maybe more (:D)) can go out to a pub or something..
Yep.. I've got it all worked out.. all I need now, is the time :(

Jesterthegreat
13-08-05, 21:09
I will go to england eventually.
I have to kick chopo (biochimp) his ass, then offcourse give weed to magnason (ch1n th3 m4g). plus I heard Jester is giving away free beers, can't miss that :D
then offcourse go to Project Blue (the real one, not me)
and theeeeeeen?
and then I really gotta go visit your place roger, then we (you, ramic and me, maybe more (:D)) can go out to a pub or something..
Yep.. I've got it all worked out.. all I need now, is the time :(

you can have some beer from me if you come over :p

Hippieman
13-08-05, 22:11
the images worked fine at start, but theyve turned into ugly tripod images, can an admin plz make them links instead of images?

Imageshack (http://www.imageshack.us/) is your friend.

Jesterthegreat
13-08-05, 22:25

image shack should host your sig... since all i have seen as your sig for ages is "remote linking forbidden"

Hippieman
13-08-05, 23:13
I leave it like that because I like it. That and im lazy.

naimex
14-08-05, 00:20

I could also have just put the images on my 1 gig webhotel or my 600 gig private server, but I was too lazy.

Vae Victis
14-08-05, 02:00
you can have some beer from me if you come over :pOhhh we made a deal here :D
I'll ask for some free days somewhere in october/november then come over and visit you :D

errrr don't mind me, just got back home from the disco with my 2 beautiful colleagues.. a disco where ya have to be 21+.. EEEHHHHH I know the bouncer tbh I'm 18 yrs and I get in, some dude from 20 couldn't enter and I laughed at him BWAHAHAHAHAHAAH...
o....k.....
right.. cya in a few months jester ;)

Jesterthegreat
14-08-05, 06:54
arent you gonna be in the marines or something by then... ?

i'm not having a bunch of heavily armed guys running around "training" in my house tyvm

Vae Victis
14-08-05, 12:50
arent you gonna be in the marines or something by then... ?

i'm not having a bunch of heavily armed guys running around "training" in my house tyvmerrr nah training starts in januari..ish.. :)
in November it's my birthday and I wanted to stay at home..
plus in those months (nov and dec) are the best months for me.
it's getting colder outside.. people tend to be nicer etc etc bla bla
aka time for me to be handing out hugs ^^