PDA

View Full Version : ME error

Dribble Joy
11-08-05, 21:50
My dad's comp runs (despite the fact it should be illegal) ME.
For some reason when he starts it now, he gets a message saying that there is an error in explorer.exe, and comctl.dll needs to be reinstalled.

It won't let you boot in safe mode (no option to enter boot selection appears, though I think that's just ME being shite).

Any idea if it can be fixed or is it reinstall time? (MS webshite is very unusefull).

ZoVoS
11-08-05, 22:30
cant u start with a system disk? me dont use ntfs does it? uses fat 32?

Rabiator
11-08-05, 23:19
Have you tried hitting F8 on boot? That should bring up a menu. A slightly more detailed description:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

And if you can, install something else. I've heard of people who tried both Win 98SE and ME. They usually were more happy with 98SE :lol:
If Win 2000 is an option (license? sufficient hardware? drivers?) it would be even better.

ZoVoS
12-08-05, 00:44
win98SE is 100X better than ME will ever be

and if you cant get access to your computer with teh boot menu with F8 or controle then i sugest a boot disk with mscdex.exe and cdrom.sys then copy over the files

the lines are sumin like

-=config.sys=-
device=a:\cdrom.sys /d:mscd000

-=Autoexec.bay=-
c:\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000

that will get ur cd working providing the files are on your start up disk, that may not be rite mind so best to download a predesigned boot disk, if the files are .ex_ use the built in file in windows to extract them

-=edit=-
i would just overinstall windows though hehe