PDA

View Full Version : fix the mem leaks

[TgR]KILLER
05-08-05, 20:10
at cyc its even worse then everywere else keep frigging crashing when i zone because i got no mem left.. even god so damn worse i stand still in the cave and crash because somebody zoned in and i crashed because of he zoned in.

now crp cave just got raided i run out had a lead on them and i crash on zoning out ofcourse i'm dead on logging in.. so fucking anoying pissing me off

every patch for months say some leaks fixed how many are there left to fix ?

there rant closed..

LiL T
05-08-05, 20:17
Raise the size of the swapfile by a large amount =/ , relog freqently, relog befor you intead to zone into a large fight, relog after being in the same zone for 25 mins. Relog when your free memory drops to 250/xxxx and by reloging I mean close the client completely, if you do all these things you will hardly ever fatal which is nice.

Yeah it sucks having to relog every god damn 40 mins to stop the crashing and they should get this fixed asap...

/edit btw I have 1 gig of ram and swap is set to 1536 MB min and 2000 MB max and it works pretty damn well.

RogerRamjet
05-08-05, 20:30
How do you set the swap?

LiL T
05-08-05, 20:37
How do you set the swap?

Right click my compter>properties>advanced tab> performance settings button then advanced tab click the button change for virtual memory Its in there

[TgR]KILLER
05-08-05, 20:37
512 ram that enuff for any damned game and i aint putting new ram in it just because nc their leaks. i already got a huge ass swap file

and relog when it gets below 250 ? you gotta be frigging joking.. its 300 when i start after zoning 3 times its down to 50.. i play between 10 and 50 free mem all the time.

LiL T
05-08-05, 20:41
KILLER']512 ram that enuff for any damned game and i aint putting new ram in it just because nc their leaks. i already got a huge ass swap file

and relog when it gets below 250 ? you gotta be frigging joking.. its 300 when i start after zoning 3 times its down to 50.. i play between 10 and 50 free mem all the time.

Thats bad you might get a little more time if you increase swap file as high as it will go, I think thats slightly over 4000 MB.

/edit theres is meant to be some fixes in the next patch and they could be memory leak fixes, I hope so anyway this has been going on for to long.

RogerRamjet
05-08-05, 20:44
Any idea what a safe amount of swap memory is on a 512 thng of RAM?

Xylaz
05-08-05, 20:53
512 ram is kinda critical for NC, dunno why really but i've experienced a huge overall performance boost after upgarding to 1024. Memory leaks are still here, but its ALOT better.

and for the swap size, for >1024 its good to set it up x2 your current value. If u got 1024 or more x1,5 (1536 i think it is) is usually more than enough, you might try to lower it down to 1024 as well.
This is for common, home use of course, assuming you dont use any apps which needs big swap file (dunno if there are still such, most modern apps just set up their own swap file and operates on it)

Dargeshaad
05-08-05, 21:09
swap files are for weaklings and elves....real men don't use it!!!

[TgR]KILLER
05-08-05, 22:42
lol upgrading to 1 gb meens i gotta replace 2x 256 by 2x512 and no ty thats gonna use to much cash. i got a car now you know cash is thin :p and i upgraded to new kingston 3200 ram early this year aint gonna renew it for some time. no other game needs more. just the leaks in neocron do.

Argent
06-08-05, 01:00
The size of swap file is pretty peculiar subject, it so much depends on what one does with the computer and how much RAM one has.

3x-4x main mem can sound pretty high, and usually it's too much but some games tend to need a lot of it for some reasons (Vampire the masquerade : Bloodlines, requires min 1.4GB before it even runs).

Also, it's best to set it to certain size, like min2000MB-max2000MB so it doesn't get shattered all over the HD and reduce the performance even more, and to physically different HD than the main application (games usually) if possible.

a4nic8er
06-08-05, 01:13
Or you could try this....

Drive X virtual Memory: 3068-3068 (This should be the outer partition on a separate drive which is on a different channel, NOT just a different partition on the same drive as OS and game. Use a drive that you don't access while playing.)

Drive C Virtual Memory: 2-50 MB (in case of failure of other drive, this allows Windows to start/complete a dump).

bobleponge
06-08-05, 01:32
It's Neocron for resolve problem... mouarf :lol: :lol:

Good luck.

[TgR]KILLER
07-08-05, 23:53
you know get this fucking thing fucking straightend out its fucking bs. 4 free mem after 5 min of playing everything else runs great so don't gimme bs that its my ps this mem leaks are taking the piss.

how the fuck am i suposed to pvp when the game gives you lag like fuck every time you turn around because you got no fucking mem left.

noo rather fuck up the game making revellers useless and thinking of other crap to put in instead of fixing stuff

and yes i'm pissed off i keep dieing to this bs

Xeno LARD
08-08-05, 00:05
I don't see what your problem is. I've got plenty of ram spare, no leaky problems.

You and your pathetic computars.

(New sig, woo).

[TgR]KILLER
08-08-05, 00:31
changed something in swap file put all the swap of c/d gone and only put swap on second hd.. and still go up from cyc run to crp and have 14 free mem left started with 159 when i logged in at ug.. soo much fun :/

ZoVoS
08-08-05, 03:15
*raises a eyebrow*

you ppl still crash from lack of memory???

a4nic8er
08-08-05, 03:32
KILLER']changed something in swap file put all the swap of c/d gone and only put swap on second hd.. and still go up from cyc run to crp and have 14 free mem left started with 159 when i logged in at ug.. soo much fun :/

Well, 14 is more 3.5 times more than 4.

Honestly though, installing more RAM is really the only thing you can do to get any real improvement. Just because of this game I rebuilt my computer to P4 3GHz with 1GB of LL RAM, vid card with 256MB RAM, put that huge swap file on another SATA channel drive, run in DX7 and it only extended the time between crashes by a factor of 3 (at that time). This has been eaten away by the many patches since - sometimes it gets worse after a patch then gets a little better after the next patch.

Seems this game was knitted from spaghetti. Perhaps a better option would be to play something else. Something more stable with better client-server communication (almost every other game I have tried fits that description). I personally consider that option several times a week and the one thing keeping me here now is the relationship I have with my clannies. If I could convince them all to join me in moving to another game I would be gone tomorrow.

[TgR]KILLER
08-08-05, 13:10
i bought 2x 256 kingston 3200 ram back in jan it was expensive as hell ( ram prices are cheaper now ) but still i aint gonna replace that for 2x512 now money aint growing on my back no more now i gotta pay fuel insurance tax etc for my car. i never had trouble @ all with 512 mem before the mem leaks so..

got a geforce 6800 gt to with 256 megs and i get loads of fps fps never is the problem. untill my mem gets to 0 free then the shit starts lol

Bugs Gunny
08-08-05, 13:13
It's weird, i have 1gb of ram, and sometimes when i'm at 300 free it'll go back to 500 free when i zone. Then other times i log in with 540, run a few steps and i'm down to 370.

numb
08-08-05, 14:47
My 'total memory' is constantly going down, after a couple of hours (max) it goes down to xxx/600mb (starts xxx/1300), at which point the free mem is about 20/xxx and the game is unplayable. [it is fixed after restarting neocron, there's nothing in the background eating up my RAM]

When I had 512mb ram in my machine, the free memory was always 20-60MB (or even less sometimes), at which point I upgraded because performance got so sloppy from time to time.

The restarting of NC is a real pain and I hope they will iron these bugs out. It wouldnt be such a problem if it was just a relog you have to do (although a lot of the time at logout, if I have such little memory left it fatals just after the countdown).

Dargeshaad
08-08-05, 14:49
If it wasn't for the login bugs i could live with the memleaks since NC is actually relatively fast to restart, but having to do it several times to log in tends to get annoying

Morganth
08-08-05, 15:08
Well, I have a 4Gb Swap File and I have found that NC doesn't touch it at all. I've also found that recently I crash a lot, and that when I am dual accounting (each client has different installations and ports) I sync out a lot more and one client crashes when I zone. Might try a reinstall sometime, if the next patch doesn't fix it.