PDA

View Full Version : Possibility to be a GM

krynstone
04-08-05, 14:08
Hi there I am really looking for a response from any Mod/GM here.
I was looking at reakktors webpage and have thought about the Community Manager thing quite a bit. Now I don't know anything about getting paid to be a mod/GM. I could use some help in determining an expected Salary if I were going to apply. Now I undertand that this is in their own forum so they probably wont want people answering with bullcrap answers or unbelievable salary ideas but I have never been paid to be a GM. As I stated in my Profession irl thread I'm a sys/Network admin and a programmer. Don't have any hardcore game programming experience so the other jobs are out. But I think I would love to be a GM/Mod. I also need money however. So some kind GM/Mod or anyone with experience in this field. Please give me an estimate or a salary you would expect. Nothing fancy or over the top...hell, make it a pessimistic estimate if you want. Just please help me out.

Bugs Gunny
04-08-05, 14:13
O_o

Speechless..........

Brammers
04-08-05, 14:20
From the GM's I do know, it's voluntary work.

I thought about applying as a GM, but I would probably have to give up running Phoenix. Keeping a clan in check is a full time job in itself!

Tratos
04-08-05, 14:31
The Community Manager position is a paid job from KK (Thanatos is a Community Manager) and the work is either from home or in house at KK HQ, according to the jobs page on reakktor.com :p

krynstone
04-08-05, 14:36
Yeah...I got that trantos..read the desc. It says telecommuting is allowed. And Brammers....I thought I had heard GMing was voluntary but I saw the thing on KK's website. I bet there's both. I would prefer the paid however:). But if there's any way to get into GMing that would be great...Maybe this will be the first step. Either way I would like to be a GM. But I do have bills to pay while I'm in college. I was just getting tired of managing the network I have at college....Too much beurocratic politics and paper in the way of securing the damn network. But hey...if they want to get attacked so be it. BTW it's a small subsection of VT's network...not the whole thing.

Tratos
04-08-05, 14:44
id guessed you read it, i was just explaining to the others who were pretty much "WTF? ^^" lol

O_o Why the hell do alot of people but an 'n' in my name O_o :p

Jesterthegreat
04-08-05, 14:56
anyone with a copbot avatar (general mods) is a volunteer.

anyone with a stormbot avatar (kk + people who used to be volunteers such as lupus and the new community liasons like nid) are paid employees.

Tratos
04-08-05, 14:58
Yeah and GMs with Warbot avatars + the newbie helpers are all volunteers aswell. although i think Farril was employed by KK but his account hasnt been changed but that might just be my mind imploding.

Arnt Nid and Lupus classed as KK like? lol

Jesterthegreat
04-08-05, 14:59
Yeah and GMs with Warbot avatars + the newbie helpers are all volunteers aswell. although i think Farril was employed by KK but his account hasnt been changed but that might just be my mind imploding.

there are of course exceptions like snowcrash with his bunny avatar and whoever with a warbot avatar... but its generally true :p

krynstone
04-08-05, 15:07
ahh jesus...sorry tratos...my bad.

Tratos
04-08-05, 15:12
ahh jesus...sorry tratos...my bad.

its np :p

CMaster
04-08-05, 15:24
There was a recruitment drive for SGMs a bit back. You have to be 21 and 6 months clean game account, I think. And its unpaid. Hoder is one result of that recruitment drive.

Bugs Gunny
04-08-05, 15:26
Hoder does great hair.

Sleezy has been so much more popular with the girls now that he's gone back to having a natural looking wig.

krynstone
04-08-05, 17:51
Voluntary works for me...I'd still have fun

Jesterthegreat
04-08-05, 17:56
Voluntary works for me...I'd still have fun

the sign of someone who hasn't done it before ;)

GM's are the guys who get all the shit for stuff KK have done that the unwashed masses don't like.

if you are happy you play the game, if you are pissed off you complain. happy people rarely stop to thank the GM's, they just enjoy the game.

Original monk
04-08-05, 18:11
i applied to be a GM once, people had to answer a question about a pizzatopping and i think i answered with an A4 size description of my topping LOL, i was hungry :P mmmmm spicy pizzatopping :)

afterwords i realised it was quite alot of work lol (btw i didnt got accepted anyways.. never heard a thing lol)

tough i wouldnt mind being an event GM hrhr

not like its ever gonna happen hehe, you cant have the good stuff witouth proving yourself first (the hard supportwork) :) (altough my events would pwn all tbh LOL :D )

i also spoken to some exGM's i met ingame and also my neighbour (an owld betatester and mod) told me it can take long hours :)

tough i guess it can also be pretty enjoyable, helping someone out is very rewardable :)

anyways, have fun peeps a day off woohoo :P

Jesterthegreat
04-08-05, 19:42
was offered a storyline GM position at FoMK after i had an ivterview.

never bothered though :p

naimex
05-08-05, 09:41
well, if my memory isn´t screwed up again then at some point either near the end of nc1 or the beginning of nc2, all the voluntary workers at KK were offered to become KK employees, meaning getting paid.

But I don´t know if the new persons coming in go directly to getting paid or if they are voluntary for some time.

So my best guess is, that yes, there are both the voluntary and the paid people, but if it´s listed under "jobs" I would only assume that it was a paid position, since all voluntary work usually gets requested here on the forums, where they evaluate and put in personal points on who is best suited to manage such a position and also has a personality the others in the team will enjoy.

Toxen
05-08-05, 14:44
the sign of someone who hasn't done it before ;)

GM's are the guys who get all the shit for stuff KK have done that the unwashed masses don't like.

if you are happy you play the game, if you are pissed off you complain. happy people rarely stop to thank the GM's, they just enjoy the game.

Yes... belive asbestos underwear is standard issue to GM's and Mod's now to cope with those highly combustable issues like FRE's

Carbonite
05-08-05, 20:17
If your considering being a GM you should mail Gmjobs@reakktor.com

be sure to include your -

Name:

and one will get back to you as soon as he/she see's the mail ;)

About the community manager job on reakktor's site.. last i heard it was/is an old job that is not available anymore, not sure why it hasnt been removed though.

There is no Paid GM positions.

Tratos
05-08-05, 20:48
Paid versions of GMs = Officials?

Jesterthegreat
05-08-05, 20:50
Paid versions of GMs = Officials?

i think its the difference between "GM" and "support"

Dirus
05-08-05, 22:25
Support Officials are the overlords of the GM's, or any Official for that matter is the head of that branch of support.

Support Official --> GameMaster
Event Official --> Event GameMaster

Tratos
05-08-05, 22:33
Who are usualy paid/a KK Storm bot i.e. Yourself, Arbiter, Chenoa etc etc?

Dirus
05-08-05, 22:37
Who are usualy paid/a KK Storm bot i.e. Yourself, Arbiter, Chenoa etc etc?

Basically, yes.

I myself am not a fulltime employee tho, I work a regular dayjob, then do my QAO work at night.

Tratos
05-08-05, 22:38
You mean you dont get paid?!? :eek: if that is the case, Lupus i salute you for your great input to this game to get it fixed!

Jesterthegreat
05-08-05, 23:30
You mean you dont get paid?!? :eek: if that is the case, Lupus i salute you for your great input to this game to get it fixed!

he was a volunteer for a long time and only aquired the stormbot avatar in NC2. i would assume he is paid now, though i dont know for sure. but he did alot of stuff while volunteering.

Dirus
05-08-05, 23:49
I do get paid yes.

Tratos
06-08-05, 00:39
Good :)

Carbonite
06-08-05, 10:21
well, if my memory isn´t screwed up again then at some point either near the end of nc1 or the beginning of nc2, all the voluntary workers at KK were offered to become KK employees, meaning getting paid.

I think your memory is screwed (sådan er det jo med os fra DK)
Cause not all GM's where offered paid positions.

Dargeshaad
06-08-05, 10:52
snak for dig selv...

Carbonite
06-08-05, 14:57
snak for dig selv...

hehe ok så for nogle af os fra DK :p

Jesterthegreat
06-08-05, 14:58
what was that rule about speaking english on the english forums that got alot of french in trouble? :angel:

Speedball
06-08-05, 14:59
No its just forbiden to speak french... ;)

Nidhogg
06-08-05, 15:03
/me slaps Carbonite around the head a bit with Windows ME.

N

Speedball
06-08-05, 15:05

N

and why not simply editing ?

Jesterthegreat
06-08-05, 15:14

N

and you argued that a /me command would be pointless... see how fun it is? :p

Jesterthegreat
06-08-05, 15:44
[edited before i get spanked] :angel:

Speedball
06-08-05, 15:45
Ce thread part en couille on dirait ^^

Carbonite
06-08-05, 19:03
Sorry :(
It will not happen again.

naimex
07-08-05, 09:19

I thought everyone was offered that, well you learn all the time :)

puts Carbonite back in his box, with an extra set of batteries and a new comic book.

Original monk
07-08-05, 11:40

get a slap with windowsME once and youlle never forget what you did wrong :) very effective :D