PDA

View Full Version : Cooling issues

Hippieman
29-07-05, 04:44
Alright I'm livin in Arizona with fuckin' ~110F weather in the summer time. Not too good for my gaming machine. Was alright till I got a silent X800 HERE (http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/FileList/ProductImage/photo_rx80256d_big.jpg)

Now it's starting to overheat about 30-40 minutes into a game, depending on how much power is needed. My current cooling is 2 80mm fans pushing about 23 cfm and 1 80mm pushing around 34 cfm thats loud. The loud one is pulling the air from the bottom of the case into it and the 2 silent ones are together dragging it out of the case. I have 2 more of the 80mm 34cfm fans but all 3 together are extremely noisey.

Need some help as to figure out a solution to this. Due to the custom heatsink on the silent X800, Im not quite sure if a PCI VGA cooler would fit/work. I'm not going to use any water cooling because I think thats just about as dumb as putting gasoline around a fire. That and i'm broke after paying for this X800. Oh and im not taking off the X800's heatsink either. It's fucking cool, well you know what I mean.

Hippieman
29-07-05, 06:25
Well for those that can make any damn sense out of SpeedFan's program, here's when I idle HERE (http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3590/speedfan5qx.jpg)

Dirus
29-07-05, 06:32
Those cards are notorious for running hot. Burn your hands hot. Without water cooling, or changing the stock heatsink, it's going to be tough keeping that card cool in your climate.

My suggestion right now would be to try and mount a fan so that it's blowing air over the card from fron to back. i.e. have it push air from the end of the card towards the back of the case. That way you get both sides of the card at once.

Hippieman
29-07-05, 06:41
Well Lupus I believe I have it like that now, well as best as it can be. My case, which is right HERE (http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81046), has the harddrives in the way so I can't have a fan right beside/near the vid card so it can do that..

Dirus
29-07-05, 06:50
Theres not enough space between the end of the card and the hard drive rack in your case for one? I'm not sure how long an X800 is, as I only have a 9800XT. I was thinking you may have to do something like I did with the 2 60mm Fans I have mounted about an inch above my RAM to keep it cool. Basically create a custom bracket to mount it.

Hippieman
29-07-05, 06:59
Nope, video card and harddrives are at the bottom and are about 1 1/2 inchs apart from each other. That just leaves enough room for the X800's extra power cable and the harddrives cables.

Also I was checking google a bit and something piqued my interest. It seems when some others did a massive jump in video card upgrade (GF 2 MX200 to X800 or similiar), even though the power supply was suppose to handle it, it couldn't. Now HERE (http://www.antec.com/specs/sl400_spe.html) is mine and it's been great but is it possible it's just been overworked like others have experienced and it just can't keep up?

netster
29-07-05, 08:55
watercooling might be your friend. i dont see any option for me to go to passiv cooling. my appartment is allways a little hotspot, upper floor, nothing on the roof, bad clima >_<
and i dont like the +lbs on my cards from the heatpipes.

Terayon
29-07-05, 11:33
Maybe use v-sync? Not realy a solution but if you dont have it on, it might help.

Morganth
29-07-05, 13:54
If you can fit one in, get an Arctic Cooler and use Artic Silver heat compound.

And as to the "gasoline around a fire" comment towards watercooling, they don't leak unless you puncture them (they aren't exactly soft either) and the only other way for them to do any damage is if it left condensation on the GPU/CPU, but thats very, very rare, especially if you live in a very dry climate as there won't be enough water in the air in order for it to condense.

Hippieman
29-07-05, 13:59
Well just said fuck it on my half-fried Radeon 9800 Pro, ripped the Zalman VF700-somethin' and put some Arctic Silver 5 and put that baby on. Haven't revved it up yet but it seems to already be doing the trick. Only thing that still worries me is, if you look at the picture of the SpeedFan program I gave earlier, those two that say 128C haven't changed except maybe 1-2C and my X800 feels cool even doing this.

EDIT: Just some more info. Since I thought MAYBE the power supply ain't cutting it anymore (hardware's fuckin power hungry nowadays). Got another PC sharing its PS. Its like a damn monster or something 2 PS's 300+400 = Frankenstein 700W

EDIT^2DAMAX: Nevermind SpeedFan's 127C ratings just went down. Think it was saved or something. Partially related question though, just how good is it for a Athlon XP 3200+ to be idling around 51C?

Skusty
29-07-05, 15:30
My view of ATI cards is crap cards that burns down easy while Nvidia rolls easy o_O Its because i never had a ATI card, im more of nvidia :lol:

My mates 9800 went up to 80 degrees while playing so it kept restarting computer :p

Morganth
29-07-05, 16:06
My view of ATI cards is crap cards that burns down easy while Nvidia rolls easy o_O Its because i never had a ATI card, im more of nvidia :lol:

My mates 9800 went up to 80 degrees while playing so it kept restarting computer :p

My ATi x800 Pro thats been modded to an x800 XT PE at 510/540 (well above stock speed) runs at 25-30 degrees C idle depending on room temperature, and at 40-45 degrees C at full load playing Doom3/HL2 or using any stress testing software. The only time it ever got close to as high as your card is when I had the Artic Cooler fan vent covered up at the back by accident :rolleyes:

EDIT:
I have no experience with AMD chips, but I know that a Pentium's maximum safe temperature is 60 degrees C, so if you apply that to your AMD then its OK, but not great. Also, some CPU temperature monitoring software/equipment add 10 degrees C onto the actual value, so that you can take precautions before its too late.

Obsidian X
29-07-05, 18:57
I posted a thread like this a while ago and noone replied, so I'll jump on this one :p

Basically I have exactly the same problem. I don't have a super fast machine (P4 3.2) and a GeForce FX 5900. My GPU temperature can go as high as 55 degrees when playing any kind of recent game. It will eventually hang my system, but the noise is just unbearable even if it doesn't. I have a 60mm fan on the side, but I've taken the side of my case off as a temp fix. I also have a fan that sits in a slot above the GPU and draws heat out of the back of the machine, as I suspect thats what causing the heat. Nothing however seems to cool it down.

Xeno LARD
29-07-05, 19:05
Ignore this

Tostino
29-07-05, 20:37
I got somthing like this (http://www.frozencpu.com/slf-01.html) when I over clocked my CPU from 3.0 to 3.6 and it helped keep the temp down alot.

Rabiator
29-07-05, 21:50
Well Lupus I believe I have it like that now, well as best as it can be. My case, which is right HERE (http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81046), has the harddrives in the way so I can't have a fan right beside/near the vid card so it can do that..
Hmm, the case you linked to (Antec SX1040BII) looks like a variety of the Chieftec Midi Tower. The Chieftec can hold two additional fans in front, and the same seems to apply to the Antec:
- 2 rear (installed)
- 1 front (optional)
- 1 HDD (optional>
according to website. If you still have problems, try adding those front fans. And make sure all the fans work in the same direction. That usually means, blow in at the front and out at the rear, because the power supply at the rear will also blow out.

Dirus
29-07-05, 22:37
just how good is it for a Athlon XP 3200+ to be idling around 51C?

AMD's Thermal limit on their website for an XP Series is 90c, tho 51c is too hot for some people, my old XP2400 used to idle around 49c, and peak at 64c. Intel's don't like the heat AMD's can handle. The older AMD's run hotter then the new ones i.e. my new AMD64 3000+ peaks at 49c, but thats mainly due to it running at 2.47Ghz with stock cooling.

Rabiator
29-07-05, 22:52
my new AMD64 3000+ peaks at 49c, but thats mainly due to it running at 2.47Ghz with stock cooling.

37% overclocking? You are not the first to report a nice overclocking potential on the AMD64. But 1.8GHz to 2.47GHz is impressive :cool:

Tidus_Origin
29-07-05, 23:12
Not exactly practical-looking, but you gotta wonder what the CPU's temperature would be.

http://www.peteredge.orcon.net.nz/pic_front1.jpg

(That's 70 fans in all, and they all work.)

Dirus
29-07-05, 23:27
37% overclocking? You are not the first to report a nice overclocking potential on the AMD64. But 1.8GHz to 2.47GHz is impressive :cool:

With the new Venice Cores, it's not uncommon to see 3000+'s at around 2.7Ghz with a 300Mhz clock speed running 1.5v or so at under 40c , main draw back is without good ram that can reach DDR600 speeds, you won't be able to reach it and keep a 1:1 ratio. It's only the Venice & San Diego cores that can be overclocked this much without a hitch. Once I get my new XP90 in I'll be pushing mine to as close to 2.7-2.8Ghz as I can get it. Right now I'm only at 275mhz clock, running 3:2 timings. But as what I do is mainly CPU intensive without the need for huge amounts of ram useage(compiling), it doesn't effect me as much.

Skusty
29-07-05, 23:30
Not exactly practical-looking, but you gotta wonder what the CPU's temperature would be.

http://www.peteredge.orcon.net.nz/pic_front1.jpg

(That's 70 fans in all, and they all work.)
That is accually not goodcuz its noisy :lol: Oh and its not cpu cooling, its a chassi cooling ;)

Tostino
29-07-05, 23:43
That is accually not goodcuz its noisy :lol: Oh and its not cpu cooling, its a chassi cooling ;)
So you don't think having your case cool will help with your CPU temp?

Rob01m
30-07-05, 00:15
My 6800GTs were once around 104C high for about a week, averge 70C or so. Yeah I obviously got the temperatures down by putting on VGA Silencers and getting air conditioning. :p

They can definately handle those kinds of temperatures though. Keep in mind, the biggest issue with having these kinds of temperatures is OTHER components that are nearby, not so much the video cards themselves. Don't expose your system to this.

Hippieman
30-07-05, 00:25
Man am I lucky I had my 9800 pro's Zalman cooler around. Gigabyte's stock cooler on the Silentpipe cards is a piece of fucking shit! Now if anyone is used to SpeedFan a problem cropped up. That 2nd picture in the thread I gave where it has 127C has come up again and rarely goes back down to ~50C. Now I dunno why its this high, hell through me being a dumbass I touched the components after a good game of BF2 demo, and they aren't hot as hell as SpeedFan's reporting.

Damn Lupus just saw what you can do with those 64s with Venice. Can't wait till I can build a new machine. Never overclocked like that before but damn its too tempting not to try!

Rob01m
30-07-05, 00:33
Man am I lucky I had my 9800 pro's Zalman cooler around. Gigabyte's stock cooler on the Silentpipe cards is a piece of fucking shit! Now if anyone is used to SpeedFan a problem cropped up. That 2nd picture in the thread I gave where it has 127C has come up again and rarely goes back down to ~50C. Now I dunno why its this high, hell through me being a dumbass I touched the components after a good game of BF2 demo, and they aren't hot as hell as SpeedFan's reporting.

Damn Lupus just saw what you can do with those 64s with Venice. Can't wait till I can build a new machine. Never overclocked like that before but damn its too tempting not to try!

Are you saying your temperature is reported as 127C and when you touch the heatsink it's not hot? If that's the case it's either not seated correctly (bad contact with the core), or the temperature is flat out wrong.

Or did I misread what you said?

Hippieman
30-07-05, 00:53
Must just be screwy, Im not quite sure what the hell the 127C is even reporting on but being my dumbass self and touching everything WHILE its running. I can say nothing is running THAT high.

Tostino
30-07-05, 01:04
Must just be screwy, Im not quite sure what the hell the 127C is even reporting on but being my dumbass self and touching everything WHILE its running. I can say nothing is running THAT high.
If I were you I would re seat the heat sync just to be sure...
And geting some case fans that are blowing over your video card is not a bad idea.

Bugs Gunny
30-07-05, 20:16
Getting a better cooler for you videocard is never a bad idead.
If the ambient temperature is fine (not during hot summer) i can run my amd mobile which is 1833mhz standard at 2600mhz stable on aircooling, i have however got a realy realy good cooling with 92mm fan and 120 + 2 80's in the case blowing cool air in.
Look up the results for various brands and models as many sites have comparative tests for cooling solutions.