PDA

View Full Version : Local list

giga191
25-07-05, 01:34
I'll try to be as constructive as I can with this:

They are so laggy that they hardly serve their purpose
Their biggest use is as a personal radar for finding people hiding - very annoying indeed
The space in the RPOS would serve a better purpose to show who is currently online in your clan / buddy list
Discuss

-FN-
25-07-05, 01:48
I 1,000,000% agree.

giga191
25-07-05, 02:05
I 1,000,000% agree.

Took me 6 months to think of it so I'm glad you approve ;)

Asurmen Spec Op
25-07-05, 02:17
IT doesnt even work as a local list, I see people Who are not even in the zone before some one next to me

IceStorm
25-07-05, 02:29
Seems to work fine for me. I use it to see when someone I'm waiting for gets into a zone. As my RPOS arrangement obscures my view completely when active, I appreciate having the Local list.

Then again, my main DSL line rarely logs me into 0 cash, right-click bug, or permasync, so maybe my network connection is just better than most other people's. :-)

LiL T
25-07-05, 02:33
I hate the local list I have played other games that don't have one and people never have a problem talking to each other but it will never get changed. Infact why even bother bringing it up again

Scanner Darkly
25-07-05, 02:36
I think the RPOS needs to be more modular and customisable - I like the idea of a buddies on line window - but I'd like to keep some form of local list as well...

eprodigy
25-07-05, 08:00
I hate the local list I have played other games that don't have one and people never have a problem talking to each other but it will never get changed. Infact why even bother bringing it up again
you could say that for anything.. suggesting ideas for NC has always just been something to kill time when you're sick of the game..

Bugs Gunny
25-07-05, 09:00
Having no local list would make things more realistic and exciting.

I agree.

Selendor
25-07-05, 11:28
I have to Disagree.

Sure, add a new window with online clan / buddies, but you need to keep the local list. It is used for:

Seeing a hidden enemy
Seeing someone when the server isn't displaying them to you yet.
Adding someone to Direct
Adding someone to Team

It may be unreliable but taking it away would be a pain for a lot of people.

Bugs Gunny
25-07-05, 11:31
It would be more exciting to find a droner, or to attack someone.
Say for instance you unstealth near someone and didn't notice those 10 other people around the corner ....

The locallist makes things too easy.

Nadja [Mars]
25-07-05, 11:47
It would be more exciting to find a droner, or to attack someone.
Say for instance you unstealth near someone and didn't notice those 10 other people around the corner ....

The locallist makes things too easy.
Agree.

Adding someone to different lists works fine with right-klick. As in trade-mode. Just use "invite to team" or "open direct channel" option.

Locallist is usefull but not inevitably. A "who is online"-list (Buddy or Clanmembers) would be more useful and realistic.

Yours

Vanten
25-07-05, 11:56
Agree 100%

Xylaz
25-07-05, 12:03
sure everyone will agree that local list is pointless, but so do ppus...

i can only see one problem with local list beeing removed - certain droners, who likes to exploit the map bugs and things like that would be completely safe without local list.
You know, droner find the part of a wall where he can hide and beeing invisible to everyone he launch the drone and start killing everyone. With local list, people might have at least general idea of where is he hiding, without it he would be undetectable.

Skusty
25-07-05, 12:29
Fix it...

Original monk
25-07-05, 13:12
sure everyone will agree that local list is pointless, but so do ppus...

i can only see one problem with local list beeing removed - certain droners, who likes to exploit the map bugs and things like that would be completely safe without local list.
You know, droner find the part of a wall where he can hide and beeing invisible to everyone he launch the drone and start killing everyone. With local list, people might have at least general idea of where is he hiding, without it he would be undetectable.

youre right, its for the droners that i wouldnt remove it lol :)

Nadja [Mars]
25-07-05, 13:15
With local list, people might have at least general idea of where is he hiding, without it he would be undetectable.
Agree, but this is a clipping problem, not a locallist problem.
Maybe it is possible to create a multiple choice window like the hypercom:
[ ] local
[x] clanmembers
[ ] buddies

pls discuss.

Yours

Spermy
25-07-05, 13:20
the only real way to sort it in my opinion would be to have everyone transmitting thier info at the same rate - As far as I can tell, those people with slower transfer rates tend to show up a little later than others, and tend to have an emptier local list than most.

Riddle
25-07-05, 13:35
I use the local list however would trade it for a Buddy/Clan window anyday.

Hate having to DM people one at a time to get "Requested Runner is not online" Otherwise when I use buddy people are afk ,busy dieing :p etc..never really sure who's on.

Also would be nice to know who's on in clan, better than checking citycom :rolleyes:

Bugs Gunny
25-07-05, 13:47
I forgot about the exploiting droners. You're right, untill they fix that problem with open objects removing the locallist would mean droner paradise.

giga191
25-07-05, 17:15
I would just like to point out that I'm not that bothered by the laggyness of the local list but more the fact that it is used as a radar. As this game is supposed to be FPS-like I think that the local list takes away a lot of the FPSness

Xeno LARD
25-07-05, 17:29
I'd love to see it removed.

But then it's gonna be droner paradise, no chance ever to find them if they exploit the map. o_O

giga191
25-07-05, 17:41
I'd love to see it removed.

But then it's gonna be droner paradise, no chance ever to find them if they exploit the map. o_O Fresh warning from KK about safespotting might do the trick (anyone caught gets temp banned without warning)

Mr Kot
25-07-05, 17:46
If any feature is added to show online clanmembers / buddies, it should be in addition to the local list, not instead of it.

Local list is handy for many things. Repping anywhere, you cant always see someone camping just out of line of sight of the rep, so you need to know whether to click the rep and get ready to rep out again.

Wandering through dark corners of cities, you need to sense who is lurking in the shadows, but ever since NC2 it just doesnt work properly any more. It shows people there long after you have repped to your apartment even when you are alone. I can be in a room with 2 other people and only one person shows on my list who isn't one of the 2 i'm near.

It does need fixing.

Original monk
25-07-05, 17:59
Fresh warning from KK about safespotting might do the trick (anyone caught gets temp banned without warning)

if you see what was/is needed to get droners out of mc5 for safespotting then i think a warning wont do :/

how you gonna screenie em when you cant find em cause there somewhere inside/up/under/in a rock or sumthing and you dont see em in local o.O

giga191
25-07-05, 18:05
if you see what was/is needed to get droners out of mc5 for safespotting then i think a warning wont do :/

how you gonna screenie em when you cant find em cause there somewhere inside/up/under/in a rock or sumthing and you dont see em in local o.O They could always alter the properties of OP walls so you can't exploit into them or at least you can aim at anyone in the wall (not all the way through)

Xylaz
25-07-05, 18:15
They could always alter the properties of OP walls so you can't exploit into them or at least you can aim at anyone in the wall (not all the way through)

its not only about op walls, there are literally hundreds of such map bugs, in every zone.

giga191
25-07-05, 18:30
its not only about op walls, there are literally hundreds of such map bugs, in every zone. OP walls and trees being the main problem

RogerRamjet
25-07-05, 19:25
I thought since the additon of flying vehicles most safe spots were accepted, you just said "my friend flew me here".

giga191
25-07-05, 19:35
I thought since the additon of flying vehicles most safe spots were accepted, you just said "my friend flew me here". I think safespot just refers to anywhere where you shouldn't be

hegemonic
25-07-05, 22:41
I'm glad SOMEONE pointed the LOCAL lag out... can we get a fix on this KK?

giga191
25-07-05, 22:47
OK I think it's time to get back on topic and stop discussing exploiting droners :P

Dr Strange
26-07-05, 02:46
Disagree

I like to know if someones near me, LE'd or not

I like to know out of a group of people standing around, who all is there without having to highlight each and every one. Even more so important if it is a group fight

giga191
26-07-05, 03:04
I like to know out of a group of people standing around, who all is there without having to highlight each and every one. Even more so important if it is a group fight You can't be bothered to move your mouse a few centimetres?

IceStorm
26-07-05, 03:31
You can't be bothered to move your mouse a few centimetres?To find one in 20 or 30 people at TH? With the stupid scrolling name text over each person?

Let me guess, you team everyone you're trying to find?

hegemonic
26-07-05, 06:06
LOCAL should be fixed, NOT removed. Having LOCAL is like having ears ingame, if someone is close to you, you would hear them, thus they should appear on LOCAL to act as your ears.

LiL T
26-07-05, 07:23
LOCAL should be fixed, NOT removed. Having LOCAL is like having ears ingame, if someone is close to you, you would hear them, thus they should appear on LOCAL to act as your ears.

No they shouldn't

If your in a dark room and some person you can't see or hear walks into the room next door, does a local list suddenly pop up informing you that a person just walked in ?

No I didn't so ..

Thats why the military do shit at night so they can't be see easyly

Dr Strange
26-07-05, 07:44
You can't be bothered to move your mouse a few centimetres?

Sure, I can do that. Now you find me 10 or 15 people, in a fight at let's say CRP. Disable the local list, and in the midst of all the fighting, where people are dancing around the entire screen, some at break neck speeds depending apon class, and try to highlight each of those people.

Not everyone has the lightning quick reflexes, or patience, for this.

The local list isn't broke, if it aint broke don't fix it.

hegemonic
26-07-05, 08:01
If your in a dark room and some person you can't see or hear walks into the room next door, does a local list suddenly pop up informing you that a person just walked in ?

No I didn't so ..

Thats why the military do shit at night so they can't be see easyly
1. You should be able to hear them, lest you are deaf.

2. There are no dark rooms in Neocron--even the caves are well-lit.

3. IRL, with thermal imaging readily available, you CAN see "shit" at night.

To discuss RL situations to the minutest of detail is utterly absurd in a "game". It's a "game", not a "simulator".

IRL, would you be able to get resurrected? Would you be able to sustain massive amounts of damage because some Jawa-looking dude was furiously waving his hands at you protecting you? :p
See the absurdity?

eprodigy
26-07-05, 08:13
remove it. takes away atmosphere and removes any purpose of; hiding, stealth other then the spy 'le switch', and sniping someone who thinks they're alone.

doesnt really help with shit anything especially in it's bugged state.

Scabard
26-07-05, 23:31
I always used to use the local list to find stealthers, tbh it makes no sense, does it imply that everyone has a sixth sense that tells them everyones name in the local area?

I like the list but would much prefer a friends list of online peeps

ZoVoS
26-07-05, 23:38
iv said over and over and over remove the dam thing, i like having a masive run speed and good hiding skills, i dont like being tracked down because people know i have doubble zoned on them because im not in the local list :mad:

THAT SAID

only remove it on the pk server, makes more sence kinda

PS
i would love it to be replaces as every body in ur buddy list, and turns green if there online red if there ofline

giga191
26-07-05, 23:45
The only time I ever use local list is for finding people. I don't see how everyone else thinks that they couldn't possibly live without it.

ZoVoS
27-07-05, 00:01
i gerneraly shout the persons name out, they shout, there txt apears abouve there head, i walk over to them and press team/trade/watever

Seezur001
28-07-05, 12:07
Seems to work fine for me. I use it to see when someone I'm waiting for gets into a zone. As my RPOS arrangement obscures my view completely when active, I appreciate having the Local list.

Then again, my main DSL line rarely logs me into 0 cash, right-click bug, or permasync, so maybe my network connection is just better than most other people's. :-)

Your connection doesn't matter if you login with 0 crash, right-click bug, sync....

Sorry I ruined your "oh my connection is better then yours" line.

Dargeshaad
28-07-05, 12:14

Question: Do you have a router (your IP is something along the line of 10.0.0.1 on your computer) or a switch/hub (IP something like 64.103.134.123) between your computer and the ISP?
After I changed ISP from one where I used a switch (my external IP on my comp) to one where I use a router (my internal IP on my comp) I seem to have an increasingly amount of login issues.
Not sure if it's related, could be something else I've changed....just wondering