PDA

View Full Version : hard reboots from char selec

moshter
23-07-05, 00:16
dos anyone else have there entire computer freeze from the char select screen forcing a hard reboot thats terrible for computers?or am i just one of a few this happens to? :confused:

hegemon
23-07-05, 00:21
Your hardware is broken.

Rogue Arson
23-07-05, 00:24
I used to get the hard lock up on char selection, till I found a way around it.

Try selecting your char, then click the back button, then resume. I still don't get in game occaisionally, but I can escape out instead of a force reboot.

Riddle
23-07-05, 01:02
I Used to get this now and again but only when i use the Mouse to select the char and then click again to enter. Even when i access windows task manager i can't close the bloody thing or change screen so Hard reboot :(

Now I use the buttons at bottom and I don't see it anymore.

Strange but true ;)

Psycho_byte
23-07-05, 02:19
instructions for xp

in ctrl-alt-delete go to "processes" tab find client.exe, right click and select end process tree.

this will close the app in such an occurence saving an otherwise necessary reboot, if this doesnt work, see if dumprep.exe exists and close that.

dumprep is basically winxps program for handling and reporting crashes, its useless and shuting that will speed up the closing of a program

zii
23-07-05, 03:13
I got this until the last patch. On the char screen the client would freeze. Only way out was to kill the process. Never had to reboot my PC though.

Does anyone know how to permently disable dumprep?

On another note, I see that vechicles are still screwed up. I tried to drive a Rhino today and althogh I get in it and drive away, I'm really still standing next to the Rhino. When I get out the Rhino I warp all the way back to the place I boarded the vechicle. Sigh.

Scanner Darkly
23-07-05, 04:17
I get this sometimes too - I click a char and everything freezes. Getting back to see the desktop is night on impossible :(

So using the keyboard to select your characters stops this bug from ever occuring?

Sammson
23-07-05, 04:40
On another note, I see that vechicles are still screwed up. I tried to drive a Rhino today and althogh I get in it and drive away, I'm really still standing next to the Rhino. When I get out the Rhino I warp all the way back to the place I boarded the vechicle. Sigh.
Have this too but only in dx9 mode, switch to dx7 if you wanna drive.

System
23-07-05, 08:18
i have the same problem as well.. but most the time i can't get the Task Manager up because the Char screen wont go away so I have to reboot my pc. this started happening with half the other log in bugs last patch for me

Xylaz
23-07-05, 10:09
Have u guys tried a filecheck? It sounds simply like a corrupted file. I had such problems before and doing file check or reinstalling the client have always helped me to resolve this problem in the past.

Spermy
23-07-05, 10:42
Yeah - I get this too. I Haven't found a definite way around it, and often when it does happen the only thing I can do is a hard reset, as the KB becomes locked out...

Frownage.

Filechecking reveals no corrupt files and my systray and task mananger are fine. It doesn't happen a lot, so it seems just to be a hiccup.

Toxen
23-07-05, 11:09
This is a now sadly common bug after the latest spate of patchs, I would hope that this gets top priority as its an effect of recent coding and can be tracked down fairly easily unlike FRE's and is a more serious issue as hard boots increase the risk of damage been done to hardware.

Xylaz
23-07-05, 11:30
like i said, i had such problems twice already and reinstall helped in both cases.

Morganth
23-07-05, 11:54
I've gotten this a lot recently. The only way around a reboot is to kick the PC to desktop by plotka in the general left hand side of the keyboard area, and dabbling in a bit of CTRL-ALT-DEL spam. Then just kill the process in Task Manager and try again.

LaZyBoY
23-07-05, 12:01
i have the same problem as well.. but most the time i can't get the Task Manager up because the Char screen wont go away so I have to reboot my pc. this started happening with half the other log in bugs last patch for me
same here :\

spanz
23-07-05, 12:05
dos anyone else have there entire computer freeze from the char select screen forcing a hard reboot thats terrible for computers?or am i just one of a few this happens to? :confused:

Try to have some program running in background , like some browser or IRC client. While you get frozen , just alt tab to it and simply kill client.exe in task manager.

this way isnt perfect sometimes i need to make hard reboots also.

Morganth
23-07-05, 12:31
Try to have some program running in background , like some browser or IRC client. While you get frozen , just alt tab to it and simply kill client.exe in task manager.

this way isnt perfect sometimes i need to make hard reboots also.

Yeah, sometimes my PC refuses to come out of the login screen at all, regardless of what I do. Glad it only takes my PC ~45 secs to reboot, lol.

Scanner Darkly
23-07-05, 15:25
Have u guys tried a filecheck? It sounds simply like a corrupted file. I had such problems before and doing file check or reinstalling the client have always helped me to resolve this problem in the past.

This happened on my 3 month old install of NC2. I reinstalled the game a couple of days ago. It happened again - this is a code bug, not a result of file corruption...

I did try filecheck before and it came out clean...

Scanner Darkly
23-07-05, 15:28
oops wrong thread :lol:

Superbron
23-07-05, 16:28
Here's the solution: on the char selection click the char you want to play only once! Then go with the TAB-key to the next button and press ENTER. This always works fine for me. I needed to reboot my pc as well after I doubleclicked the char I wanted to play, but now I use the keyboard instead I can get into the game without the need to reboot.

Comie
23-07-05, 16:39
same here :\

and me 2 it seems of late

Spermy
23-07-05, 17:50
To be honest - it's a tad annoying to have to resort to stupidly tedious workarounds, when the methods available should really work in the first place =/

Toxen
23-07-05, 17:52
Well we've always been able to put up with a certain level of frustation but I think this is a little outside the normal feild of fair play.

Sakletare
23-07-05, 21:40
I've had this a lot too. The login freezes directly after doubleclicking or clicking next in the character selection. I can not alt-tab to another program i have running in the background, or ctrl-alt-del to kill the process.

However, the task manager does open and is indeed on top. I can tell this by moving my mouse back and forth, when it passes over the task manager i can see a windows mouse pointer appear.

This doesn't help me much though, i still can't see what i'm doing so i can't kill the process.
The only thing to do is hit the reset button. :mad:

Torg
23-07-05, 23:27
windows-pcs should be re-booted frequently. windows loves to shit its own pants until it cant move. if in doubt, pull the powercable. that'll show em.

in other words: computers are faulty by default so we better learn those tricks. neocron.exe isnt worse than other progs.

Noldus
24-07-05, 04:51
I also get this "lockup" at char screen, where everything looks like it's frozen. But when that happens it's actually not the entire PC that is frozen, only what I see on the screen. I found that by using the keyboard and pressing the right keys for kill program i can get rid of the non-responding neocron client even though I can't see anything. Try finding out what key combination it is for you when you can see the task manager window.

For me that is: CTRL+ALT+DEL, <TAB>, <SPACE>, <LEFT ARROW>, <SPACE>

Try it, might work :p

Spermy
24-07-05, 16:27
windows-pcs should be re-booted frequently. windows loves to shit its own pants until it cant move. if in doubt, pull the powercable. that'll show em.

in other words: computers are faulty by default so we better learn those tricks. neocron.exe isnt worse than other progs.

Not saying it is - I'm saying that in a world full of software, where similar actions are carried out without fault, why should NC be different?

nobby
24-07-05, 17:38
I get this sometimes too - I click a char and everything freezes. Getting back to see the desktop is night on impossible :(

So using the keyboard to select your characters stops this bug from ever occuring?

Ok n00b, Do it pro way!

when this happens
Press the windows key and move the mouse down until u see the cursor.
keep clicking along the bottom line of the screen until the cursor disappears,
This means you've found NC.

Then press the windows key again and move the cursor back, Right click and pretend that a list has appeared with "close" on it :p

Actually just right click, move the mouse to the right slightly then left click and invisibly the message saying it's stopped responding will appear,
press left then enter on the keyboard for "End now"

and voila!

it's gone!

Spermy
24-07-05, 18:08
What about when yer KB locks up smarty pants? :p

numb
25-07-05, 12:05
I Used to get this now and again but only when i use the Mouse to select the char and then click again to enter. Even when i access windows task manager i can't close the bloody thing or change screen so Hard reboot :(

Now I use the buttons at bottom and I don't see it anymore.

Strange but true ;)

Yeah I do the same now. I think it's still happened once or twice, but it's definitely not as bad as it was when I was double clicking a character icon.

It is a pain, especially if you are transferring items between alts and it happens.

Psycho_byte
25-07-05, 14:38
to the person that can't see the task manager, im assuming you use the welcome screen to log onto windows rather than the username/password box.

If you change this option ctrl-alt-del acts differently!

It instead seizes control of your screen giving you a box with a few options of which you select task manager. This should help you with your issue.

To do this:
"user accounts" in control panel, select the option that changes the way people log in and out and deactivate the welcome screen.

cornelius5
26-07-05, 05:21
yet another fix, dont know if i heard this on vent or ingame.

change the fuction of the power button in bios from shutdown to hibernate,

when u resume from hibernate by using spacebar i think it is , u will see taskmon

example// ncfrozen, ctrl-alt-delete, hold power button, resume from hibernation, kill client.exe , done in 10 seconds no rebooting.

works for me until the patch comes,,, its comming right? soon yeah?

Superbron
26-07-05, 10:45
Here's the solution: on the char selection click the char you want to play only once! Then go with the TAB-key to the next button and press ENTER. This always works fine for me. I needed to reboot my pc as well after I doubleclicked the char I wanted to play, but now I use the keyboard instead I can get into the game without the need to reboot.This really works for me every time. Lol, never thought I would quote myself :lol:

Morganth
26-07-05, 10:52
This really works for me every time. Lol, never thought I would quote myself :lol:

It's becomming quite popular

Morganth thinks its almost like referring to yourself in the third-person singular, lol.