PDA

View Full Version : Skinning Competition

Hell-demon
22-07-05, 14:07
Back in the days of NC1 there was a skinning competition I do recall and that lucky sods player skin was put in the game.

Now theres alot of people who feel rather let down that modding is not allowed and there are alot of people who are very creative. I suggest we have an NC2 skinning competition where the creative and brightest minds of the community will work hard to create a skins that will be deemed worthy to be put in the game.

The benefits out way the cons for

1. Peope have complained about the skins in NC2 and how they just well seem a bit poo

2. An ideal outlet for the creative people

3. Saves KK the effort of designing new ones

4. Something to do

So how many of you agree this is a good idea?

Tratos
22-07-05, 14:09
I do, i'd love to see more variety of skins and possibly remakes of the old ones (SPY SUIT DAMN IT) and i see this as the perfect way for it to happen, what would KK need to release for this to happen though?

Hell-demon
22-07-05, 14:09
Lets ask 'em...

KK?

Morganth
22-07-05, 14:13
I've been thinking about this for ages, but seeing as the modding forums are locked I wouldn't even know where to point people to so that with KKs permission they could be creative without getting tickled with the banhammer. I've got plenty of custom PA ideas, just not allowed/able to get them pixellated. Would be nice if KK had a small server that could host people's personal PAs, so for a fee they could have a custom skin that everyone would see, provided there were some limits on what you could have so the KK skinners don't lose their jobs :rolleyes: .

Would be a nice feature to the game to be able to design your own skin for your own character and for everyone else to be able to see it. Would give the game more personality that could draw people to it.

Hell-demon
22-07-05, 14:15
Maybe if we could just design and submit concept art and maybe KK could create them perhaps?

Morganth
22-07-05, 14:17
Maybe if we could just design and submit concept art and maybe KK could create them perhaps?

Well, I'd be all for this idea if I could draw :lol: . Plus, my idea was to stop KK getting diverted from what they are doing for as little time as possible.

Tratos
22-07-05, 14:17

Thing is, that would take KK resources as i think in the last planfile it was said if the Art Dep if they werent doing work for new features they'd be re-doing all the vegetation in the wastelands. (Which is my opinion is really really needed, lol)

If KK gave us some stuff to make skins properly they would just have to patch em in i imagine.

Hell-demon
22-07-05, 14:24
On the mod forum there was a list of all sorts of tools you could use to design the skins :rolleyes:

But we no longer have that forum :(

fschepper
22-07-05, 14:30
(..)
But we no longer have that forum :(

google cache?

Edit: Google cache works really fine if you know what you want....

Tratos
22-07-05, 14:31
The webarchive doesnt seem to have it :p

Brammers
22-07-05, 14:41
And did any of the mods in the forum get used in NC2? Unfortunatly a lot of them didn't.

Hell-demon
22-07-05, 14:56
We had a skinning compo once surely we can do it again. Like the Haloween compos :)

Tratos
22-07-05, 14:59
There was a mob skinning one also.

Spermy
22-07-05, 15:12
I'd hit that shit.

Hell-demon
22-07-05, 15:19
^ :lol: :lol: :lol: You have a funny name :lol:

Skusty
22-07-05, 15:48
Dunno....

Hell-demon
22-07-05, 15:54
8| I dont wanna know Skusty...I dont wanna know

Asurmen Spec Op
22-07-05, 15:55
I miss when spermys location was "Oh god im all over your hands"

But he doesnt like being called spermy so I call him sperminator

Spermy
22-07-05, 16:06
Read my custom title.

I WANNA CHANGE MY NAME! :p

Skusty
22-07-05, 17:07
Read my custom title.

IF u change your name we gotta stop crack jokes about your name :(

Asurmen Spec Op
22-07-05, 17:09
Read my custom title.

cmon who else can run around screaming Sperminator

Tratos
22-07-05, 17:15
Anyway, Skining Competitions? :p

Nid or one of the content or art guys can we get an official answer on wether any skinning competitions of any sort will take place in the future? theres bundles of talent floating around on this forum here ready to help if you just give us the chance.

If we got a yes answer and gave us some resources to do so (a demo skin for example) im sure there could be skinning competition running 30mins after the post, even if it was player ran!

Sperminator :p ;)

Hell-demon
22-07-05, 17:15
Unless your going to make a sperminator skin stay on topic :)

Spermy
22-07-05, 18:15
If you say sperminator one more time I'm gonna molest yer face.

YER FACE!

THA FAAAACE!

Anyhoo...

Yeah - Can we get some official word on this pleasey please?

Clive tombstone
22-07-05, 18:22
Well, as a game art student, I see this fairly commonly. Its most likly that KK will be reluctant to outsource to the public (no matter how good of an idea it is :rolleyes: ) Unless proper legal documentation is filled out and whatnot. Because of "usage" and rights to the said created material.

Honestly though, KK could easily enough just create a waver or something like that, so you could submit work almost like an act of community service.

I mean, I would help out just so I could get some experiance in the gaming development community (well more than I already am at the art institute that is).

Back to the topic though. Hellz yah! we need anouther skinning contest.

PS-Hell I got a few blues done for the comic, Ill send it too you in a day or two.

PEace out. :D

Hell-demon
22-07-05, 18:27
Awesome!

Tratos
23-07-05, 13:08
Nid? Yes? No? Kick In Face? :p

Nidhogg
23-07-05, 14:15
It can't be ruled out but there are no plans, I'm afraid. The devs/art team's calendars are full and a competition like this can't be run without their involvement.

N

Hell-demon
23-07-05, 14:20
Your gonna vote in my poll though arent ya Niddy? :p

Tratos
24-07-05, 16:23
Hmm.. sort of on topic, sort of off topic.

Nid, If the Devs/Artists etc callenders are full at the moment will we be seeing a continuation of the Theme Week project?

Rabiator
25-07-05, 14:18
Well, as a game art student, I see this fairly commonly. Its most likly that KK will be reluctant to outsource to the public (no matter how good of an idea it is :rolleyes: )

Indeed. Several months ago, forum member Lytha posted a few female PAs in the german forum. Outstanding, beautiful designs, and since there was only one person involved, negotiating the legal stuff should have been not too difficult.

But KK did not bother to comment about using Lytha's PAs. There was not even a statement along the lines of "we like it, but due to copyright issues we cannot use it". I take that as a sign of complete disinterest by KK.

Nidhogg
25-07-05, 14:45
I thought they were fantastic and I know other officials did too. I posted in the thread back then too so you can't say there was no response.

The problem is that we don't have time for changing models/skins right now. There are too many other things on the to-do list that take priority.

N

Tratos
25-07-05, 14:47
Hopefully we'll get to see that to-do list when the In Development page goes live ;)

Morganth
25-07-05, 16:02
I thought they were fantastic and I know other officials did too. I posted in the thread back then too so you can't say there was no response.

The problem is that we don't have time for changing models/skins right now. There are too many other things on the to-do list that take priority.

N

Yet you have time to investigate someone who could have altered their game files so they don't have to put up with the hidious HUD/Crosshair and the same old character models?

I never thought it would be so much hassle to rename a few files, or change a few DB entries so that they, for example, take the characters gender into consideration when deciding what skin to render. A little bit of effort goes a long way.