PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious beepage.

Dribble Joy
21-07-05, 18:42
My comp's internal speaker occationally beeps. It started sometime this morning (woke me up at 5 am). Not sure what's causeing it, though when I closed Edonkey it beeped like mad at me.

Jesterthegreat
21-07-05, 18:45
not your lucky week with computers :D

if it happens when booting up you got some serious issues... if it happens randomly i guess theres possibly equally serious issues though.

if all else fails spyware check, virus check, reboot.

if that fails... erm... defrag?

in other words... no ideas :p

Skusty
21-07-05, 18:59
Beep beep.

My speakers never beep but sometimes screens starts beep 2secs...

Spermy
21-07-05, 19:11
How olds yer inner thingymabobs - sometimes it'll do it when batteries are running low or wee bit's of hardware are failing...

Dribble Joy
21-07-05, 19:22
The mobo, cpu and ram are... nearly 4 years old.

Nidhogg
21-07-05, 19:27
Sure it's not your smoke alarm? ;)

N

CMaster
21-07-05, 19:28
I'm suspecting it ould be a CMOS battery low warning, although I wasn't aware of any mobos that bleeped a lot to tell you that - the first sign is normally the clock being consnatly a few years out.

sanityislost
21-07-05, 20:02

N

Ahhhh so thats what ive been hearing all these years :lol:

@DJ: used to get something like that but was just because i was pressing to
many keys at once.....i just ripped the speaker off the motherboard :lol: :lol:

SiL ..:..

Tratos
21-07-05, 20:07
@DJ: used to get something like that but was just because i was pressing to
many keys at once.....i just ripped the speaker off the motherboard :lol: :lol:

SiL ..:..

Im suffering from that at the moment with less keys than normal too, i used to be able to run forwards (W + SHIFT) and select QB items using the number keys, i cant do that anymore i just get beeped at, lol

Skusty
21-07-05, 21:06
The mobo, cpu and ram are... nearly 4 years old.
Wooo!!! Someone got 4yearold comp to!!! :D

But mine is working fine :)

My ram memory is 3.2 years, rest like 3.8 :D

ZoVoS
25-07-05, 00:53
1 : take pair of scissors
2 : snip lead going to internal pc speaker
3 : er there is no 3

Asurmen Spec Op
25-07-05, 01:02
1 : take pair of scissors
2 : snip lead going to internal pc speaker
3 : er there is no 3
why dont you just unplug it?

ZoVoS
25-07-05, 15:40
cos then u get tempted to plug it back in to do funny sounds using asm =\ trust me cutting it is best

Riddle
25-07-05, 15:42
Reversing?.....Change gear my friend.

Morganth
25-07-05, 16:24
As stated above, sounds like your Mobo is shouting for help, either its dying, is lonely, or you need to check the CMOS battery out. Or do the easiest thing, which is buy a new computer :p

N

I'd say smoke alarms are unreliable. In the same night, two completely different clan members had fires in their houses. One was burnt to the ground in a 3 alarm fire, the other had 6 foot flames blazing out of his den's wall. Fire alarms didn't even flicker. Luckily no one was hurt, but it just goes to show that smoke alarms aren't always effective (the one who's wall burnt down, had he not noticed smoke on a security camera, the house would have burnt down with several people trapped in it).

Dribble Joy
25-07-05, 18:18
Think it had summat to do with that fact my HDD was full, as in only a few megs left and I was dling a crap ton of pron.

Scarus
25-07-05, 21:25
As stated above, sounds like your Mobo is shouting for help, either its dying, is lonely, or you need to check the CMOS battery out. Or do the easiest thing, which is buy a new computer :p

Or sexully frustrated, if it's male of course, if it's female it just wants attention.

-Scarus

Omnituens
28-07-05, 01:42
ive rigged up a little switch to turn off all HDD lights, power lights, coloured fans, and speaker for when i want to leave my computer running overnight.

the LEDs on my case are stupidly bright, the coloured fans being off cuts noise and light emissions (because i dont need that cooling when doing anything heavy) and the speaker just in case it does anything stupid.

best bet, just unplug it, easy job.

if your computer then break, you can just guess that it was warning you.

NOTE: if your computer ever fails to boot past post, plug it back in. the beeps it does then can tell you whats FUCKED.

Tratos
28-07-05, 01:50
I need a switch like that for my PC, lol i just normal stick bits of blue tak over the LEDS but i can see a switch being alot better.

Dirus
28-07-05, 01:56
I get beeped at every now and then when I do harddrive intensive work, and its been happening for months, I'm fully expecting the harddrive to just die at any moment. Thankfully it's most likely just my old 60GB harddrive. *Bought it brand new when 60GB's first came out*

Im suffering from that at the moment with less keys than normal too, i used to be able to run forwards (W + SHIFT) and select QB items using the number keys, i cant do that anymore i just get beeped at, lol

Try ControlPanel > Keyboard > Repeat Delay & Repeat Rate.

Slowing down the repeat rate and lengthening the delay should help with being constantly annoyed when holding keys down.

Tratos
28-07-05, 01:59
Thanks Lupus i shall try that.

Morganth
28-07-05, 11:57
Thinking about it. my PC beeps at me whenever I get into desktop. Although I think I have a duff pipe on my modded GFx card which causes the PC to crash due to it having resolution issues. Gonna have to downclock it I think :(

Original monk
28-07-05, 15:06
I get beeped at every now and then when I do harddrive intensive work, and its been happening for months, I'm fully expecting the harddrive to just die at any moment. Thankfully it's most likely just my old 60GB harddrive. *Bought it brand new when 60GB's first came out*

:( my harddisk died on me (FU Maxtor shitty HD) some time ago, i have a new fresh one :D ... 2 badly i lost loads of pictures of myself, witte and angeldust carp and pikefishing :/ luckely thats about it !

also lucky i yust made a NC2 install backup for witte :P

so everythings back to the old, this actually a bit OT cause my PC doesnt bleep o.O

thing i did wanted to say is thanx to Cmaster for he's direct on the spot help on trade, i mean helpchannel, when i needed some commands for configureing NC !

:cool: peace