PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Center OS..

sanityislost
19-07-05, 21:47
Has anyone here used this with a desktop PC , tied in with a LCD, DVD player
and all the other stuff?

Was thinking about getting a new system setup just want to know if its as good
as it seems.

SiL ..:..

darkservent
20-07-05, 12:29
Well I have the OS installed but cause I dont have the specific Telly card required for it so its useless to me. Its kinda cool with all the funky things but I got bored of it. The good thing about Media center is the EPG, its damn fast for a Live TV box. Other than that cant realy say much without gettin the full experiance.

Bugs Gunny
20-07-05, 12:54
I'm using it on my dedicated pc that i've always used for nothing but playing movies.

There are some issues with some video and tv cards though, so make sure you check the compatibility list first.

It's actualy amazingly handy, especialy the remote control (which i still don't have). Watching dvd's, recording tv-series etc and the filing system for finding them is also cool.
(it's amazing how much you can record on a 160gb drive).

Plus it's also still a windows xp so you can go out of MCE and browse the internet on your tv etc.

I give it a thumbs up, but then i got it for free :-)

sanityislost
20-07-05, 13:22
Ahhh sounds rather cool, thanx for the info :D

Morganth
21-07-05, 00:57
Might look into getting another box and setting it up with this, to run my TV etc through.

TV + HiFi = 9 Speaker System :p

I'm guessing it requires a decent sound/graphics/TV card to run effectively, with plenty of HDD space and memory?

May be worth setting up a separate file server on my home network to provide content, and also pool my households 6000+ MP3 collection from all our CDs that we so kindly back up :D

sanityislost
21-07-05, 01:11
Yea thats what i was thinking also, but with a LCD scrren so i can get the
picture in picture thing. Can game and watch TV at the same time!! >_<