PDA

View Full Version : Do Char's position lag or what?

BloodLetting
13-07-05, 20:41
Last night I am following my freind through the waste lands (on foot) and on TS he says " are you coming or what?" And I say " On my screen I am right on your ass" he then said "Dude your just now coming over the hill on mine."

Whats up with that?
I have seen it before too when I dodge behind a wall, but still get shot by a MOB...Is this because on the "MOB's screen" I am still standing in the open?

It concerns me during PvP that this could create some problems.

I have 1 gig ram, P4 , 3 meg line, and some ati expensive ass card so I asume its not me?
EDIT new Sig too :D :D :D

Tostino
13-07-05, 20:44
No it's not you. It is KK's bad netcode that is making players lag their position even more then they usto.

Rob01m
13-07-05, 20:49
This has always been an issue. Whenever I run with someone I take their position I see with a grain of salt, I just keep running forward and tell them to do the same. It eventually catches up in the end.

BloodLetting
13-07-05, 20:56
I gues its similar to when A reveler on my screen drives right through a wall but on the drivers he is going around the building...

Rob01m
13-07-05, 21:00
To be fair, I've seen it happen in all online games, but not to the extent we see it here. I'm not sure what makes it this way. Even when I see it in other games, it's usually pretty isolated.

BloodLetting
13-07-05, 21:10
yes it does happen in other games. But it seems to catch up fast almost warping you back to catch you up. Here it seems to just catch up at the same speed you run..
Seems that way...
But I know nothing about code or programing really just a little Multi-Media
"make things look pretty"

Riddle
13-07-05, 21:55
Same old bug ... :( been since Nc1.

Go down a lift, mate says hey come on! I 'm like standing next to him...so just sit down and hey presto im there..Warning only works when chairs are around :p

Rob01m
13-07-05, 21:57
Actually in thinking back, I've seen it in all online games (or at least can remember times when it did) except for in FFXI, for some reason I've never seen it happen there. o_O

EDIT: Oh wait, I've seen it in there sometimes, now that I'm thinking harder. Character will be running, and then they get a sudden burst of speed while the server updates their position better. Yep, seems to happen in most games. Just not as often.

ZoVoS
14-07-05, 02:33
doubble log on 2 pcs and run around and watch each other, neither of u are where u should be

Dirus
14-07-05, 04:21
Latency & prediction is a couple of the issues.. if you and your buddy both have a ping of 200ms, then it means that it takes 0.2 seconds for you to send your position to the server, then another 0.2 for the server to send that to your buddy. Same thing happens when you run two instances of neocron, since your sending the info to the server with one client which is then sending it back to your other client. The walking through walls is most likely the client trying ot predict where the other player is based on the info it had last.. ie. speed, direction ect..

Jesterthegreat
14-07-05, 08:16
Latency & prediction is a couple of the issues.. if you and your buddy both have a ping of 200ms, then it means that it takes 0.2 seconds for you to send your position to the server, then another 0.2 for the server to send that to your buddy. Same thing happens when you run two instances of neocron, since your sending the info to the server with one client which is then sending it back to your other client. The walking through walls is most likely the client trying ot predict where the other player is based on the info it had last.. ie. speed, direction ect..

latency may be an issue... but it's a small one.

if me ane anoher brit, each with a ping of 40, can see the difference that we see... it's obvious its something else.

the netcode is behind multiple of issues... drones shooting / warping through walls, the runcasting issues that were in last patch (debatable... but at times moving back in the direction you were recently running from helpped the cast. as if the server didnt agree that you had stopped yet)...

Darkana
14-07-05, 09:38
if me ane anoher brit, each with a ping of 40, can see the difference that we see... it's obvious its something else.Having chars logged on two computers now and then I do see the differences, too. Ping is normally about 90..100ish. Means a total net-latency of 0.2 secs. The chars behave like I would run with a ping of 0.5 secs or more, which shows how much delayed the position handling is. Not to talk about the already mentioned total messups especially in lifts, or the thing where players don't move on your screen while they are "miles" away on theirs.

Yes, the problem exists in other games, especially MMORPGs, too. UDP based seem to suffer more than TCP based MMORPGs. Anyway, Neocron tops all the position-update-lag I have seen so far in MMORPGs. This is definitively an issue which needs to be looked into.

ZigZag
14-07-05, 10:17
I have seen this the beginning of nc, however 3 patches ago it became much worse, it needs to be sorted, people are warping around far too much now. One patch has changed something that has affected this massively. :confused:

Selendor
14-07-05, 10:49
I would agree with this analysis, it is a problem that has got worse. You would hope these things would get better over time wouldn't you...

The only time I've seen worse responses was back in Neocron 1 Op wars, but back then more people were online in each zone.

Seezur001
14-07-05, 13:49
I would agree with this analysis, it is a problem that has got worse. You would hope these things would get better over time wouldn't you...

The only time I've seen worse responses was back in Neocron 1 Op wars, but back then more people were online in each zone.

Wow.... Their's more than one person in a zone in NC2? I couldn't tell.

Mighty Max
14-07-05, 15:36
Wow.... Their's more than one person in a zone in NC2? I couldn't tell.

You might want to leave the App. MrJones is not the only one in NC2 ... :rolleyes:

To the issue itself, i don't say it couldnt be better, but there always will be this issue. Not only the time difference Lupus said, but too the time difference you get from using TS or Vent too.

This event he is describing was described the 2x the TS ping ago. Your keypressing cant be synchronous to him - as Lupus already explained - that added about 2x NC ping to this. So at the time you hear him saying that, already the time of 4 pings vanished.

Now say you are having not the best connection with a ping of 250ms (common for me on DialUp) You are actually 1sec ahead in the movement against whet you hear from your mate. With a good runspeed this can be a good distance already.

BloodLetting
14-07-05, 16:49
Well thx for all the information. I had thought it was a little worse than I remembered it being. So my ping is usually 140-155 So does having vent and TS running effect that eventhough it has the same ping wether or not I have vent and TS running?
O and I am on a 3 meg line so I thought I would have a better ping but maybe that has nothing to do with it?
Location= Midwest US thats prolly why my ping is what it is distance not speed of connection?

Riddle
14-07-05, 17:29
It is true it has got worse recently.

Players jumping several feet at a time now :( not just the odd one but i get it a fair bit now and also the local player viewer not updating quick enough.

Mighty Max
14-07-05, 19:35
So does having vent and TS running effect that eventhough it has the same ping wether or not I have vent and TS running?

No it does not have a real effect. It has the effect on your communication and tho recognizing the difference. It just seems to be a larger difference.

If you'd take your mates PC to yours while playing you'd see only the NC ping difference in running, but as you do so, youll hear you mate twice, once when he talks, and once then it arrives to you vis TS. Thats the timemark you compared your location to, instead of the synchronous check when you can both monitors at the same time.