PDA

View Full Version : No More Elves!

Holger Nathrath
12-07-05, 14:23
We want you to be the first to see the look of the "No More Elves!" campaign. This is the first banner of a series. All the other banners will use a similar look with different "objects" that can be used on elves to... well I guess it's self-explanatory ;-). We will fully launch this campaign around mid-August. I'm looking forward to read your feedback.

http://entry.neocron.com/news/nme/nme.swf

No More Elves! (http://entry.neocron.com/news/nme/nme.html)

[TgR]KILLER
12-07-05, 14:25
lol looks cool the sound makes an impact to ^^

Spermy
12-07-05, 14:26
Yeah - I like - maybe some kinda elfy girly scream in there?

MisterP
12-07-05, 14:29
I really hope it pays off to pull new customers.

I hope you put everything into it, and it pays off! :D

Xylaz
12-07-05, 14:32
uhm, black screen...

IE only or something like that?

Nidhogg
12-07-05, 14:34
Works ok for me in FF. Do you have the player installed?

N

Xylaz
12-07-05, 14:35
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>nme</title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#000000">
<center>

</center>
</body>
</html>

^^
this is the source code

/edit/ what player? shockwave? yes

Nidhogg
12-07-05, 14:37
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>nme</title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#000000">
<center>
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="160" height="600" id="nme" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie" value="nme.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
<embed src="nme.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="160" height="600" name="nme" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object>
</center>
</body>
</html>
That's what I see.

N

Capt. Rik
12-07-05, 14:40
That's what I see.

N

As do I in FF and IE 6.

Awesome work as well :D

Brammers
12-07-05, 14:58
That looks sweet! And I do like the bit when you hover over it, there is a gunshot.

I'm sure the anti-monk people would like to to see "No more monks" in that ad! :D

Bugs Gunny
12-07-05, 15:01
Now there's something nice as an advertising campaign.

Comie
12-07-05, 15:02
wow certanly has the shock factor..

i went "what the fuck!?! people are gunna go spair druigs and a syringe"

exactly the responce you were after eh?

and yes it leave an impression

Jerto
12-07-05, 15:03
I'm sorry but the message is not so clear.
OK, it's written "no more elves".

BUT :

when you show a syringe and write "drug usage" as if it was something to be proud of in a game, I think you are completely wrong.

If you had not written this :
All the other banners will use a similar look with different "objects" that can be used on elves to... well I guess it's self-explanatory ;-). I would have thought that the message was, "play a violent game in which you can drug yourself".

Advertisement for video games can be seen by young people.
I think that you shouldn't praise "values" such as "drug usage".
Stop thinking about the Post apocalyptic cyberpunk stuff and think about people who have never heard about Neocron and who will see this banner.

Anyway, I have cancelled my account some time ago but if it had not been the case, I would have cancelled it should you have released such banners.

You have a responsibility in your communication and you cannot put forward drug usage as something "cool".

This is my own opinion, I don't need to be flamed for it.

sanityislost
12-07-05, 15:04
Woooooo....blooooood!!1

SiL ..:..

Neally
12-07-05, 15:08
Woooooo....blooooood!!1

and a sexy neal coming :D

sanityislost
12-07-05, 15:20
and a sexy neal coming :D

sex!!!!! rawr :D

Nidhogg
12-07-05, 15:23
I'm sorry but the message is not so clear.
OK, it's written "no more elves".

BUT :

when you show a syringe and write "drug usage" as if it was something to be proud of in a game, I think you are completely wrong.
You misunderstand, the truth is exactly the opposite. Those comments at the bottom show our commitment and cooperation with PEGI (http://www.pegi.info); they're our rating (http://www.pegi.info/rating.jsp). As a responsible developer we are obliged to display our rating clearly.

N

Mr_Snow
12-07-05, 15:25
I see nc is going on with the crappy adult :rolleyes: content they made a big deal of in nc2 beta

elves with decent content or well thought out is better then sex and swearing just so you can say We are a mature game!

wow or lineage 2 could come out with a "No more adult content just for the sake of it!" campain but of course they dont have to, since they have big fanbases and positive things to put in ads.

Why dont you make an ad about a positive aspect of NC2? afaik these kinds of ads have bad reps in marketing for either backfiring or not being effective

:angel:

Jerto
12-07-05, 15:31
You misunderstand, the truth is exactly the opposite. Those comments at the bottom show our commitment and cooperation with PEGI (http://www.pegi.info); they're our rating (http://www.pegi.info/rating.jsp). As a responsible developer we are obliged to display our rating clearly.

N
OK, I misunderstand.
But I think I'm not the only one that will misunderstand.
The point is that you(Reakktor) are the ones that created this campaign.
Your point of view is far from being objective as it is the result of marketing brainstorming and meetings about it.

Those who are not familiar with the no more elves concept and the PEGI system will not watch this ad as you do.

If you have to explain how we have to understand the campaign, then it is not a good campaign.

zii
12-07-05, 15:46
Excellent advert. I love it.

Philchow
12-07-05, 16:10
Looks nice. :)

No more elves, but still monks though :p

ch0ppy
12-07-05, 16:16
i like the one with the blood :) ;) :lol:

Xylaz
12-07-05, 16:28
i have to admit

its pretty good

/edit/ about my former issue - it was the popup blocker which caused the problems, for some reasons it didnt work with firefox as it should.

Tickles
12-07-05, 16:34
Yeah - I like - maybe some kinda elfy girly scream in there?

What he said...

But:

No More Elves

Then a Syringe

??

For someone who doesn't know the game they're going to think WTF!

Stick it IN an elf :P

Xylaz
12-07-05, 16:36
What he said...

But:

No More Elves

Then a Syringe

??

For someone who doesn't know the game they're going to think WTF!

Stick it IN an elf :P

Nonetheless

Its good

besides

WTF! is a good word for Neocron

Tratos
12-07-05, 16:39
WTF! is a good word for Neocron

Doesnt happen very often but i agree with Xylaz on this :)

Looks cool KK just hope the others look schweet aswell and we see them on some good game related sites including gaming webcomics, VGcats, Penny-Arcade etc along with the usual sites they appear on.

Eckhart
12-07-05, 17:16
Liking the ad, especially the gunshot on hover :)

As Tratos said, I hope we get to see them on some good, popular, gaming related sites. Perhaps Ctrl-Alt-Delete webcomic? There are banner spaces there you could use, and its a very popular site, could bring in a lot of intrigued people :)

Cor
12-07-05, 17:38
I like it. A good start "No More Elves" it would be nice to a couple of verion of this like " No More Dwarfs..."No More Trolls" I know Elves, says alot but maybe just afew more to send it home to other players.

Scanner Darkly
12-07-05, 17:40
The sligltly ambiguous syringe may tempt more people to follow the link...

good stuff KK - hope the game will gain some visibility

Tostino
12-07-05, 17:50
Looks very nice ;). Now my only question is... Where are you looking to put your ad's?

Mighty Max
12-07-05, 17:50
Does not work with the standard filters of NAV 2005. If i disable it, it shows up without prob. I believe a good bunch of ppl are using NAV so this might be a problem.

:edit: Details on the software that is blocking the add: NIS v8.0.2.5 & NAV v11.0.11.4

Selendor
12-07-05, 17:51
I'm expecting certain people on this forum modify the banner to read 'no more monks' ... its only a matter of time ;)

Nice idea though, any publicity is good at this stage.

Cor
12-07-05, 17:51
Just another thought when you click on the ad " No more Elves" and you go to the main Neocron page why not have a Heading that says " You'll fine No Elves, Dwarfs, or Trolls Here"

Crest
12-07-05, 18:05
Just another thought when you click on the ad " No more Elves" and you go to the main Neocron page why not have a Heading that says " You'll fine No Elves, Dwarfs, or Trolls Here"

Or more like, you find no elves and dwarfs here, go to the forums, and you can find trolls

Spermy
12-07-05, 18:17
Or more like, you find no elves and dwarfs here, go to the forums, and you can find trolls

Yar me hearty!

If it be trolls ye seek bring Hammer n flame! But if it be pirates? YAAARRRR!

Original monk
12-07-05, 18:22
looks jummy, i want sum of the stuff from inside the needle

Dribble Joy
12-07-05, 18:33
What is the PEGI rating?

If it was 12+ (as I vaguely remember) then why do we need to warn about the things mentioned in the ad?
And if those things are in to an extent? Why is it only 12+?

I fear that people will be expecting something harder than it was or that they expect (regarding the recent dumbing down).

Bozz-Von Mel
12-07-05, 18:36
No elves or dwarves, but dammit we do have monks. Nice ad though.

RogerRamjet
12-07-05, 19:14
Can the next ad be "lots of RATATATATATATATA" accomponied by the gatling cannon noise?

Jesterthegreat
12-07-05, 19:29
thumbs up from me...

:edit: wtf is NAV? o_O

Spermy
12-07-05, 19:32
Can the next ad be "lots of RATATATATATATATA" accomponied by the gatling cannon noise?

A judge. Like a really detailed one - and when you mouse over it glows green in the muzzle. Or you have it lying flat, with little green lines along the side that pulse when you mouse over?

Summat with a JUDGE!

and a Y-Rep!

Oooh - feed em to a grimmy!

Or dare I say it an APU in PA - close up on the face and the eyes light up menacingly?

EDIT

is the google thingy working? I tried it just now - and got nowt - but I got a lot of WoW links :p

Jesterthegreat
12-07-05, 19:42
A judge. Like a really detailed one - and when you mouse over it glows green in the muzzle. Or you have it lying flat, with little green lines along the side that pulse when you mouse over?

can we have "Property of Average Joe" scratched on the side of it plz? :D

though i agree... a judge would look amazing if it was used (assuming we use the current design... but made it in a high quality gfx editer), and theres so many options...

hell its like a green light bulb, jammed into the middle of a gun... you could see it charging up, then a burst of plasma ripping through the "screen" to turn the white background with a pic into a black hole..

tha black text turning into white text as soon is the background gets to it...

Rabiator
12-07-05, 19:49
We want the hooker outfits from NC1 back. If you put "sexual content" in your ads then deliver! ;)

Jesterthegreat
12-07-05, 19:50
We want the hooker outfits from NC1 back. If you put "sexual content" in your ads then deliver! ;)

go to OZ jail and check the scripts of the hookers...

the things they say would make a RL hooker blush :eek:

Skusty
12-07-05, 21:01
That sound reminds me of Hitman : contracts and the shot reminds allso of hitman:contracts, have you stolen it from em? :p

Riddle
12-07-05, 21:26
Black screen :( anyone know how to fix already disabled pop up blocker

dark_reaper
12-07-05, 21:40
That sound reminds me of Hitman : contracts and the shot reminds allso of hitman:contracts, have you stolen it from em? :p

It is possible that they could have gotten it from a SFX cd that they may have bought.

zii
12-07-05, 23:01
What a fantastic ad.

Dirus
12-07-05, 23:10
:edit: wtf is NAV? o_O

Norton Anti Virus?

Jesterthegreat
12-07-05, 23:11
Norton Anti Virus?

ah i see...

people who use that don't deserve to see the ad :p

:edit: the only good thing Norton made was Norton Ghost...

vpreztap
13-07-05, 00:17
can your art department make one that would be suitable for use as a signature on forums?

thanks
vp aka nolaff

Doc Holliday
13-07-05, 00:23
Get an elf. then get a tank with a cs. introduce the elf to cs. great ad. :)

ArgieD
13-07-05, 00:37
excellent move. Are we allowed to place it on some of our websites?

Mr Kot
13-07-05, 00:47
Lol, you mean the scantily clad hookers or the naked ones? Clicky (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=104937) for NC1 neopron nostalgia :D (includes screenies of NC1 nakedness ;) )

Tostino
13-07-05, 00:55
Lol, you mean the scantily clad hookers or the naked ones? Clicky (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=104937) for NC1 neopron nostalgia :D (includes screenies of NC1 nakedness ;) )
Damn... I miss Jest :(.

Mr Kot
13-07-05, 01:10
Where are you looking to put your ad's?
Ok, i have an idea....

That syringe pic (and whatever else) should be printed on sticky labels. Then next time we're at our local game shop helpfully rearranging their shelves to show NC2 at eye level, we should sneakily slap on those stickers to the boxes.

You should manage to get a fair few done before someone calls security....

Tratos
13-07-05, 01:22
Im hoping to see some kick ass weapons and such for the other banner adds and things and i really do hope good sites are selected for the banners, an idea for the banners like suggested with the APU PA closeup could be of the various other PAs aswell.

EDIT: Self Edited - Unsuitable.

Jesterthegreat
13-07-05, 01:29
i deleted my attatchment with the nc2 nudity from the beta?

dammit...

ZoVoS
13-07-05, 02:05
kick.
ass.

=]

---edit---
i posted that withough elaborating because i thoguht it was self explanitroy but some ppl are flaming your ad so i supose ill elaborate

kick ass because the add doesnt give to much away and is very abstract, adds like that will be enough to prick at sumbodys curiosity enough for them to click it and be taken to the no mroe elfvs site

---edit 2---
can we have one saying

DORM SEX!. JUST SAY NO! and a picture of a cute lil dormie

btw that wasnt ment to be serious

Xeno LARD
13-07-05, 10:16
Hell, i love that one. <3

Sexual content
Violence
Bad language
Drug abuse

Hah, that's gonna bring in exactly the kind of people i like. :lol:

Xylaz
13-07-05, 10:37
yes i have to agree

very well thought out. Rough style, very intense and abstract at the same time. Attracts attention and - at the same time - it reveals the NC atmosphere as the game attitude and as a world itself. Dark, rough, provocative, it gives the feeling of danger and charm at the same time - feeling of neocron.

i think its the first really good thing KK has done to NC.
That is, if those adds will appear somewhere...

anyways
Good job KK.

Holger Nathrath
13-07-05, 10:41
We are glad with the mainly positive feedback. We wanted to create a cool banner with a nice ironic touch which would be discussed controversially. I mean: we are talking about elves 8| :rolleyes: :p. We will create a whole set of similar banners for all the common formats. They will contain different… objects :D. That means you all can have the standard banner to use it as forum signatures.

We have a first test run at gameogre.com’s
review directory (http://www.gameogre.com/reviewdirectory/)

Our campaign will start in the middle of August and mmorpg.com and other pages will follow in September.

retr0n
13-07-05, 11:18
I love it, i know that if i hadn't heard of NC before i saw that banner, I would
definetly have clicked it, and I dont usually click on banners that often.

On a sidenote, I have to admit, when i clicked that banner, and it took me to
the NC homepage, and that copbot says "Have a nice day.", i got some
buttefrly-feeling in my belly i havent felt in a long time, like an old highschool
love you havent seen for a while. (I know, i'm pathetic)

Time to reactivate I guess.

Love the banner.

Rabiator
13-07-05, 12:39

I was thinking of those in the Pepper Park red light district. They are quite tame today compared to NC1. :(

Original monk
13-07-05, 12:50

nice banner and a nice sound and all but when i went looking for neocron (2) in the mmorpglist on the site i couldnt find anything :/ i found matrix online and even Gunz the duel but where's our game lol ? i hope i overlooked it

Nullvoid
13-07-05, 13:38
perhaps that needs fixed then? Flashy adverts are all well and good but if sites listing all the mmorpgs around don't even mention NC...something's not right.

Riddle
13-07-05, 14:22
:( still get a black screen...maybe i'm not the only one. Would be a complete waste if people can't see it

Philchow
13-07-05, 14:44
w00t advertising on french MMOG boards (in the topic regarding the death of Pandore :o )

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/5537/pubnc9xq.jpg

CMaster
13-07-05, 14:45
Thats the google campaign - what I imaginied it would be, then did tests to dig up and failed.

Spermy
13-07-05, 16:52
Hell, i love that one. <3

Sexual content
Violence
Bad language
Drug abuse

Hah, that's gonna bring in exactly the kind of people i like. :lol:

What?

Stoned, wife-beating rapists? :D

Asurmen Spec Op
13-07-05, 17:12
What?

kinky

ZoVoS
13-07-05, 17:19
What?

hell ye we need more of them in game,

hey man remove ur le?
why?
just do it
ok
DIE MOTHER FUCKER :P
RATATATATATATATATATATA (sorry had to get that line in sumwhere today)

Crest
13-07-05, 17:43

Since I dont pay attention to adverts, I clicked on the link below, and then asked my self whats he telling me, clicked on the MMORPG option, and looked for NC ... dunno why, as he cleary states ... its the advert on the page

Tratos
13-07-05, 18:04
Something which will drag attention for that banner is if its not in direct line of sight to the user viewing the webpage, it makes the noise they go "wtf?" and then find the add, mouse over it, BANG, WTF? *click* lol

Other iteam eh? :p Dildo Of Maven? :p

Xylaz
13-07-05, 18:26
hmm come to think of it, KK - before rushing out with the campaign maybe you should do something with the neocron2 homepage? You wont achieve anything if people will click the add and then dont know what to do next... (its overloaded, unfunctional, unintuitive, hard to navigate due to retarded menu and double-sided structure)

Tostino
13-07-05, 18:27
Damn... I'm so glad to see an NC advert on a website 8|.

ZoVoS
14-07-05, 01:17
its not going to the nc hompage its going to a no mroe elves homepage aparently

Tratos
14-07-05, 02:12
its not going to the nc hompage its going to a no mroe elves homepage aparently

Which goes through to the neocron homepage O_o

ZoVoS
14-07-05, 02:24
Which goes through to the neocron homepage O_owhich WONT go... ARGH

DAMIT PPL making me look shit up :p ur all dam lazi

. I can't go into all the details yet, as they are supposed to be a surprise. Just let me say this: the URL www.no-more-elves.com will not remain a simple redirect towards www.neocron.com for long ;-)

am i the only person to read the plan file :D

*does a lil dance*

Tratos
14-07-05, 02:46
Bah im tired :p

Bozz-Von Mel
14-07-05, 04:16
The banner that got me into NC1 was the one with the striper. Think it was on file planet ages ago.

Ascension
15-07-05, 13:23
Pity when you go on every page on gameogre you get that sound :lol:

kurai
20-07-05, 09:03
I like the general theme of the campaign.

However ... it might help if the NC2 introduced player models didn't look so much like poxy anime elves themselves :p

Hell-demon
20-07-05, 12:15
Can someone make a banner of a Power Armoured Tank with a Cursed Soul. And on the banner can it say Fuck you and your fucking elves!

Spermy
20-07-05, 13:04
Weee - But I went against fucking teh fucking elves...

Hell-demon
20-07-05, 13:54
Oh please Spermy!

Mr Friendly
25-07-05, 14:44
lol :lol: classic

ArgieD
28-07-05, 12:41
I recently tried to enter the code into one of my websites and realised that it prevents an existing scroller or a slideshow from working properly. Is there anybody with good web designing skills who could confirm whether I can only have one animated object per page or not?

And in an attempt to silence those who would accuse me of hijacking the thread, I DID ask earlier on wether I could use the banner to promote NC on other websites.. which still remains unanswered:(

cheers

Morganth
28-07-05, 13:23
I recently tried to enter the code into one of my websites and realised that it prevents an existing scroller or a slideshow from working properly. Is there anybody with good web designing skills who could confirm whether I can only have one animated object per page or not?

And in an attempt to silence those who would accuse me of hijacking the thread, I DID ask earlier on wether I could use the banner to promote NC on other websites.. which still remains unanswered:(

cheers

You can have multiple animated items on a webpage. Have tried placing the NC banner inside its own table or layer?

ArgieD
28-07-05, 14:19
You can have multiple animated items on a webpage. Have tried placing the NC banner inside its own table or layer?

13.10 will create a separate table and give it a go now...

13.20 I tried it with an animated gif and it worked... I will try now some code

13.25 I tried it with a Shockwave Flash object and didn't work. It cancelled my slideshow HTML script on a different frame / table :(

Morganth
28-07-05, 15:23
13.10 will create a separate table and give it a go now...

13.20 I tried it with an animated gif and it worked... I will try now some code

13.25 I tried it with a Shockwave Flash object and didn't work. It cancelled my slideshow HTML script on a different frame / table :(

When you say cancelled, do you mean it only displays the first item in the slideshows, or that it just fails to load any of the slideshow at all?

ArgieD
28-07-05, 18:00
When you say cancelled, do you mean it only displays the first item in the slideshows, or that it just fails to load any of the slideshow at all?

Erm, the second:(

Morganth
28-07-05, 18:02
Erm, the second:(

Hmmm, perhaps make the slideshow into an animated gif?

Don't have much experience with Shockwave to be able to troubleshoot it, perhaps you should give Macromedia a poke about it if I can't help.

ArgieD
28-07-05, 20:06
Hmmm, perhaps make the slideshow into an animated gif?

Don't have much experience with Shockwave to be able to troubleshoot it, perhaps you should give Macromedia a poke about it if I can't help.

Well, I will have to make up a gif then:)

thx for your try though:)

OK, back to the subject now..