PDA

View Full Version : Monk Armour

Kierz
11-07-05, 16:00
Is there any reason monks deserve their own armour, it unbalances the classes so much.

Monks: 45 Con, Best Allround Armour
PEs: 60 Con, Respectable Armour, Shelter
Tanks: 100 Con, Best Specific Armour
Spys: 40 Con, Worst Armour

Please remove it, at least try for 1 patch to see how things go.

edit: if you post No please say why, if you can't come up with a good reason why other than you like being overpowered don't vote.

CMaster
11-07-05, 16:14
Hmm. Monk armour is overpowered, yes. Not 100% sue on removing it, maybe just nef... but that doesnt really fix anything. OK' I'll roll with remove. After all, they still get heavy belts and PA.

Cyberstorm
11-07-05, 16:14
Spy -> Worst Armor ??

Yeah , youre right !!

200 xray ->PA
90 energy /fire .. whatever.. -> belt

Inqui 1 ->20fire per piece...

yeah... you pro... worst armor...+shelter...

Scanner Darkly
11-07-05, 16:18
to the Original Poster - you conveniently left out stealth and most pvp spies drugging shelter.

voted remove (PSI based) armour for 1 patch - let the games begin!

Nullvoid
11-07-05, 17:16
A ppu can at least slightly offset the removal of monk armour with his holy buffs/heals, but the apu without monk armour...damn that's a sledgehammer nerf if ever I saw one.

I agree the concept of the monk armour is a bit weird...and the resists it gives...but just removing it with no form of replacement will really hurt the monk class as a whole, no bad thing in some people's eyes I guess but I sure wouldn't want to see it happen.

LTA
11-07-05, 17:19
but the apu without monk armour...damn that's a sledgehammer nerf if ever I saw one.

I agree the concept of the monk armour is a bit weird...and the resists it gives...but just removing it with no form of replacement

add - pierce to each piece so like all bits of holy add say like -80 pierce or something .:p... since i always hear pierce was there main weakness O_o

Nullvoid
11-07-05, 17:28
add - pierce to each piece so like all bits of holy add say like -80 pierce or something .:p... since i always hear pierce was there main weakness O_o

How about just making it so the force/pierce resist never increases beyond the values of the holy shelter armour(roughly 6), this way they don't die the second a tl 4 nailgun is fire at them(as they would with -80 pierce :lol: ), yet they still have a *weakness*.

LTA
11-07-05, 17:31
How about just making it so the force/pierce resist never increases beyond the values of the holy shelter armour(roughly 6), this way they don't die the second a tl 4 nailgun is fire at them(as they would with -80 pierce :lol: ), yet they still have a *weakness*.

well my ppu resists pierce as effectly as my tank with a deflect and like bones n a bit of str specced.... and -80 was an example figure since i dont actually know the main numbers but either way a painy, Speedgat, sh should rip monks apart

:p

sultana
11-07-05, 17:41
I don't quite agree with that. Sure tanks have access to the best specific armour, but most people tend to mix armour pieces.

I don't know why your only talking about armour itself. As it's both the armour and the resist values in constitution that matter. Going by that tank's get the best armour (by far really), followed by pes, then spies. Monks can either slot in before or after them, depending how you skill them. Also most monk setups rely on level 3 boosts, while spies and pes tend to rely on their own.

What I'm saying is, removing monk armour would be a huge nerf, way too large. A character with no energy resist will go down in 5 HL shots, with or without a holy shelter, same goes for a character with no fire resist vs. a FA.

Let me give you an example. One day I was at crp (as one does), before hand I had been at Mc5, I was using a Holy Spirit Belt there, where I usually use a fire belt for my con setup. Anyway what happened was, my friend I was ppuing died and a certain apu attacked me with a Fire Apoc. Needless to say I went down about 5-10 seconds later. Fully Buffed. Holy S and D on. With a Holy Heal running.

Naturally I was pissed off until I relised what belt I was weaing :rolleyes:

Jesterthegreat
11-07-05, 19:20
theres a few possibilities for changes on monks... while removing their class specific armour may halp weaken them... it wont change things in the big picture.

i vote no.

Riddle
11-07-05, 19:38
If it means losing me 'Grim Reaper' Cloak then I vote NO by all means change the armour stats if you wish, i'll just lom some to counter it. But lose me cloak NO WAY!

I remember the first time i see one of those on a poker in the old P2 gathering spot and thought WOW i want that! Kept me motivated for me 90 PSI :)

THE_TICK!!!!
11-07-05, 19:49
Is there any reason monks deserve their own armour, it unbalances the classes so much.

edit: if you post No please say why, if you can't come up with a good reason why other than you like being overpowered don't vote. LOL what a farse, all classes have there own armor, so why would it mean monks are special ??? as for taking it away they would have to restructure the spell values again.

Jesterthegreat
11-07-05, 20:15
LOL what a farse, all classes have there own armor, so why would it mean monks are special ??? as for taking it away they would have to restructure the spell values again.

theres only str based and psi based (barring PA)

thats (as a main skill) only tanks and psi monks actually.

Freaky Fryd
11-07-05, 22:11
Spy -> Worst Armor ??
200 xray ->PA

There isn't any PA that gives 200 xray in NC2 (the anti-gamma armor isn't obtainable in NC2) and I have yet to see a belt that gives 90 to energy or fire...

Xylaz
11-07-05, 22:12
i'm afraid it wont change anything

it would weaken the monks but not they way ppus affect the game - which is what we really need.

Rob01m
12-07-05, 01:23
Remember: monks didn't start off having their armor, that was added later on. As was duranit, special belts, etc. So it obviously has been done before.

Honestly, Neocron seems to be the ONE game where the medic/healer type class (PPU) actually has a ton of defense. I think the major problem here is that. The healer should be fragile themselves, protected by everyone else, and doing their job to heal and buff others. Taking down a PPU should not be a monumental task because of their great defense, it should be because everyone is protecting them.

And APUs are a bit messed up as well. As an APU, you can have the best offense, one of the best armor setups, and buffs on top of that make you a god. Offense should be balanced in some way. In most games, if you carry the huge gun, you get a mobility or defense malus. APUs get neither. Tanks actually do get a speed malus.

Monks as a whole change the balance of the entire game.

Rob01m
12-07-05, 01:27
Spy -> Worst Armor ??

Yeah , youre right !!

200 xray ->PA

Inqui 1 ->20fire per piece...

yeah... you pro... worst armor...+shelter...

Nobody can reliably wear Spy PA4, making the max xray from PA to be 121, not 200.

All of the specialized heavy belts give 70, not 90 armor.

Inquisition needs to used while drugged, which has its own side effects. Shelter needs to be drugged for too. Good luck obtaining both and being very viable for more than 5 minutes.

I don't think you'll get far arguing the spies have great armor, no matter how you look at it.

Ravin
12-07-05, 08:27
I tend to avoid the forums like the plague, but i just can't let this go by..

Inquisition needs to used while drugged, which has its own side effects. Shelter needs to be drugged for too. Good luck obtaining both and being very viable for more than 5 minutes.

Spies have the worst armor, etc. etc.

You don't have to drug for Inq 1 armor on a spy, not if you have the proper imps and the right setup. with an sa and sf, you can cap an hl or even a dissie, while having 100+ in all resists except poison w/o using drugs, with 400 or so hp, and have decent ath/agi to boot. With nightspider, you can shelter yourself.

I'd say as far as defense goes, ppu's are on top, hybrids (depending on exactly how much ppu), tanks, and PE's are somewhat matched, and spies aren't far behind. the only char i havent been able to get nice all-around resists without foreign buffs is the pure apu, and thats how it should be.

Seriously guys, if youre gonna demand such a ridiculously drastic game change, at least have a type of each char capped and combat viable so you at least kinda know what youre talking about.. :-\

Skusty
12-07-05, 11:28
Noooo......monk pa is sexyyyyyyyy!!!

Superbron
12-07-05, 11:36
No problem with monk armour here.

Inchenzo
12-07-05, 13:12
How about we give the whole armour system a complete overhaul, so we can get some diversity in the look of our chars, such as cutting PA's into 5 pieces (e.g. left/right arms head torso pants) ?

Superbron
12-07-05, 13:18
How about we give the whole armour system a complete overhaul, so we can get some diversity in the look of our chars, such as cutting PA's into 5 pieces (e.g. left/right arms head torso pants) ?
That would be nice! Maybe the possibility for a faction symbol as well.

hegemon
12-07-05, 13:54
I voted no primarily because I don't like stupid, biased polls.

Jesterthegreat
12-07-05, 19:04
I voted no primarily because I don't like stupid, biased polls.

admittedly there is a lack of "dont know / dont care" but the poll is not biased. it has the plain "yes / no" options, and an additional "possible... would have to see it ingame" option to attempt to cover the "dont know" option

hegemon
12-07-05, 19:23
admittedly there is a lack of "dont know / dont care" but the poll is not biased. it has the plain "yes / no" options, and an additional "possible... would have to see it ingame" option to attempt to cover the "dont know" option

Erm. Don't pretend you're so stupid as not to see it.

edit: if you post No please say why, if you can't come up with a good reason why other than you like being overpowered don't vote.

The prefered option is to remove it. The poll starter says "Please remove it"

The poll starter asks the polled people to go through much more effort to vote one option than other. Even though it's voluntary, most people are polite and respect thread starter wishes (as I did, since I commented why I voted "NO").

The poll starter uses biased words in describing the poll: "overpowered".

The poll starter discourages one side from voting, but not the other. Again, voluntary, but a discouragement is always a discouragement. And most people are polite.

Jesterthegreat
12-07-05, 19:25
Erm. Don't pretend you're so stupid as not to see it.

The prefered option is to remove it. The poll starter says "Please remove it"

The poll starter asks the polled people to go through much more effort to vote one option than other. Even though it's voluntary, most people are polite and respect thread starter wishes (as I did, since I commented why I voted "NO").

The poll starter uses biased words in describing the poll: "overpowered".

The poll starter discourages one side from voting, but not the other. Again, voluntary, but a discouragement is always a discouragement. And most people are polite.

i seeeeee... the thread starter is not allowed to state his own opinion, or the whole poll is biased, despite having yes, no, and try it options to vote on.

my bad :rolleyes:

:edit: anyone who can think for themselves shouldnt have an issue. before you jump on me as a "monk hat0r" i voted no.