PDA

View Full Version : PvP Server Suggestion

-FN-
09-07-05, 00:32
Would it be possible, without wrecking the existing communities on the servers and without hollowing out all the PvPers on the existing servers to do this:

Implement universal entrances on ALL servers to a Neofrag-like set of zones.

I'm not too excited about seeing hardcore PvPers leave Terra - they usually incite the most city and zone raids.

I'm not too excited to have to level a new character on this PvP server, just to do what I want to do on Terra, PvP.

Why not have a set of 'shared' zones between servers that lets people PvP? Perhaps a 'fake' version of Neocron City? Or use all the Neofrag zones? Any character on any server can enter this zone - maybe via a purchasable appliance for thier apartment? - and then zone into the Universal PvP server with whatever gear they have on them and when they log off of zone out - reset to their initial state - just like Neofrag.

This would encourage people's "home" servers to still be populated with levelers, keep their economy intact, and still keep the other servers mildy populated... in theory.

We could call it.... Wargames! Oh wait :P

Thoughts?

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 00:55
replacing the idea of a universal NF with a universal world? i like it.

UO had a similar system. Fellucia for the real players, Trammel for the carebears.

Mechanicus
09-07-05, 01:01
hahah you think introducing trammel helped uo?

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 01:07
no. however this is the opposite suggestion. think of what we have now as trammel.

if chat channels worked accross both this would allow for cross server trades... there would be a risk to it, but it would be a "am i meeting in a safe area? should i bring bosyguards?" kinda way, not a "will he just steal my shit and delete that char?" kinda way.

it would allow for all the "my server > your server" people to put their money where their mouthes are... hell if the ops are takable it would offer another map for clans from all servers to compete over (or leave alone if they wish).

Mechanicus
09-07-05, 01:15
it doesnt matter which way round it happens, mirroring a world is just the worst idea ever to hit an mmorpg

it splits the community for one thing and it will reduce pvp encounters HUGELY as most random fight are not 2 people wandering looking for fights, its one person pking another or just doing their errends and running into an enemy to kill, now with a 'pvp world' and a 'carebear world' who is going to go to the pvp world to run errends?
99% of random pvp encounters disapear, and is even more thinly speads the community so theres so much less chance of meeting people

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 01:45
so... a mirrored server will split the community more than a seperate server then? :rolleyes:

ZoVoS
09-07-05, 02:09
the whole point of the pvp server was item loss, didnt fn's idea just prevent all item loss?

and theres me saying always listen to fn :D he will never steer u wrong

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 02:22
the whole point of the pvp server was item loss, didnt fn's idea just prevent all item loss?

and theres me saying always listen to fn :D he will never steer u wrong

on a second read through you are right.

making the PvP server completely pointless.

against it now :p

ZoVoS
09-07-05, 02:25
see im usefull for sumin :angel:

-FN-
09-07-05, 02:37
Not a mirrored server :wtf:

Once you go into the "PvP Zones" you can do whatever you want with your char - when you leave, just like NF - your char is returned to it's original state.

You can't trade items here, you just PvP. Well, you can, but your inventory is reset when you leave.

As for 'splitting the community' - I'm just hoping to preserve each server's existing community while presenting a PvP outlet to keep the hardcore's hooked.

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 02:43
or just use NF.

the people that want a PvP server want a PvP rule set and they want the reward for their kills.

this is just a way of "carebearising" the whole thing.

no.

improve NF? yes. have enterances in doy, nc, th and mb? yes. even have one NF area for all servers? possibly.

have this instead of a PvP server? no.

ZoVoS
09-07-05, 02:55
hehe i fuking looooooooooooove NF

my poor ickle tankie with jack shit in his inventroy borrows sumbodys 5 slot ultimated every ammo modded cs

or my spy borrows sumbodys spiritmodded sniper WITH AMMO, *droooool*

Dr Strange
09-07-05, 02:57
If you're gonna go that route;

Scrap all four servers.

Make 1 International 2 slot server, that houses players from all regions. Support can be in all three major languages (German, English, French).

This would quadruple the player base on one server and do a ton towards the population, even if it's just simply lumping everyone together.

At first it'd be tough, getting used to attempting to communicate with those that might not speak your language, but hey, I'd rather log into my faction's district and see tons of people around that don't speak a lick of English, than log into Terra and see one or two people every four or five hours.

Mechanicus
09-07-05, 03:12
so... a mirrored server will split the community more than a seperate server then? :rolleyes:

try and act smart if you want but look at whats happened in both situations in UO

a mirrored world (trammel) was a total disaster which destroyed random pvp and communitys and people still complain about it

a new server (the origin server) people flood into and put the time into making new chars there, when the character transfer service came open there (or maybe they delayed it again lol) even people were eager to transfer there chars there, it brought a whole new community together

Demental
09-07-05, 13:50
I like Reakktor I really do, but if they're unable to isolate and fix synch errors and memory leaks the thought of them introducing something like this would be... interesting. It would bring so many bugs with it, and we all know they aren't the quickest to fix stuff. :wtf:

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 14:20
I like Reakktor I really do, but if they're unable to isolate and fix synch errors and memory leaks the thought of them introducing something like this would be... interesting. It would bring so many bugs with it, and we all know they aren't the quickest to fix stuff. :wtf:

they are unable to keep an item from turning into a random other item.

at least FRE's and such are *somewhat* excusable with the many many lines of code, and seeming randomness (meaning lots of causes... remember a FRE isnt a bug, the cause is a bug. the FRE to the consiquence)