View Full Version : Whats the point of a PvP Server?

Netphreak
08-07-05, 16:15
Sorry if this has been asked before but i've just came back from taking another break from NC as well it was bugged.
I see there's been 4 patches now so thats encouraging however PSI spell casting appears to be even more screwed than it was when we went to NC2 and they added that animation that increased everyone's spell cast failures.

Anyway, what is the point of having a PvP server in a mainly PvP focused game?
We never had it in NC1? If you played Uranus you watched out for enemies of your faction and that was pretty much all you could do besides keep your LE in, but we still had plenty of people Role Playing.

I'm guessing the reasoning for this is a bunch of new carebare players (don't like to use that term but it should get my point across) whining about getting pk'd because we have no safe zones (HQ's anyone... :rolleyes: ).

Do I have a solution to this some of you may be asking well in a word yes. Howver it won't make everyone happy but it will add or should i say reintroduce a dynamic to the game.
Bring back the complicated Faction relationships. Get rid of this Red vs Blue crap.
We're told the war between the cities is over then why isn't there signs of this?

The faction's in both cities should be arguing amonst themselves as they don't have a war to fight and as such should start to split back to how they were.

Any thoughts? etc... (no flames if you don't like it say so or just ignore the thread and let it die)

Apoc.
08-07-05, 16:20
We're told the war between the cities is over then why isn't there signs of this?

Good point, about time we mixed something up?

imper1um
08-07-05, 16:39
The reason for a PvP server is to stop zone whoring knowing that you can just go inside DRE to be safe, you nit wit. :p

Selendor
08-07-05, 16:39
I'm guessing the reasoning for this is a bunch of new carebare players (don't like to use that term but it should get my point across) whining about getting pk'd because we have no safe zones (HQ's anyone... :rolleyes: ).

I would have thought its the opposite reason, KK want to make their game even less forgiving to encourage the pkers to sign back up.

And yes, others have suggested that mixing up the factions again would be a good step. We all feel that making a game of complex faction relationships into a red vs blue WoW style conflict has just removed a layer of what made Neocron 1 great.

However, when would something like this happen? About the same time we get clan wars working and someone fixes the mercenary faction...

Personally I'm not sure the PvP server will ever happen, I'm not sure they thought it through enough, and a cost analysis could reveal that more Uranus players would leave than PvP-hungry players would sign up.

$tormbringer
08-07-05, 17:48
[...]Whats the point of a PvP Server?[...]

PvP?.

Tratos
08-07-05, 17:52
The war of Neocron vs the Dome of York (as in the government) is over as a huge if not all portion of that government and its people were wiped out, the war is now against (well is still) the new occupants of the dome who took over the ruins of the once great city as there new home.

numb
08-07-05, 18:13
Personally I'm not sure the PvP server will ever happen, I'm not sure they thought it through enough, and a cost analysis could reveal that more Uranus players would leave than PvP-hungry players would sign up.

The current NC1 server is going to be used for PvP server?

I really hope it will bring a lot of players back, the introduction of the safeslot has made NC mighty boring (in my opinion of course). It's improved a little with the epic items, but it makes gun choice so limited (based on the fact you dont want to lose your good weapons in a belt if you can help it).

Removal of safeslot, LE, safe/hunting zones and the current soul light penalties will make NC the game I've always wanted it to be - and hopefully enough people who've left will agree with that or at least be tempted to try it all out because it will be a completely different game imo.

Njall
08-07-05, 18:28
I'm guessing the reasoning for this is a bunch of new carebare players (don't like to use that term but it should get my point across) whining about getting pk'd because we have no safe zones (HQ's anyone... ).
I understood the reason was a bunch of new PKing players whining about getting RP'd because there is still safe zones :p

zii
08-07-05, 18:49
What I don't understand is that the game is marketed as a PVP role playing game. Perhaps we don't need a dedicated PVP server, but a game that has the current servers made into PVP servers, because for the moment they are not, or vice-verse.

There is no reason why this game cannot be role-played without safezones and LEs etc, so long as players accept that they will die. Death is part of life in NC, whether its by mod or runner. (Perhaps we should remove the mobs as well?) They are a hybrid mess between those who PVP and those who don't. This means that each type of player has a different goal, which means each person shall whine about it being too PVP orientated or too carebare.

Decide on where this game is going: Why not make one game called Neocron PVP Bring it on, and one called Neocron Carebear Action Parkbench (Chat with your friends online edition). You could market each differently, so that never the twane would meet.

Not that death is much of a penalty in NC. Although, I saw a rank 66 PPU a few nights ago. This sounds like fun because he can stand there and only buff himself and suffers from an extreme dread of death.

So, not we don't need a PVP dedicated server. We (KK in fact) just need to iron out where this game in tends to go.

Xylaz
08-07-05, 18:50
i guess the pvp server will come shortly after the mechs implementation so dont worry about it for now...

Mr_Snow
08-07-05, 19:02
The war of Neocron vs the Dome of York (as in the government) is over as a huge if not all portion of that government and its people were wiped out, the war is now against (well is still) the new occupants of the dome who took over the ruins of the once great city as there new home.
sophistry

Tratos
08-07-05, 19:28
My post was to this point:

Originally Posted by Netphreak

Which is pretty much the correct answer storyline wise, although the Dome still exists and the dome troops and bots are still there the DAC now controls them as the new rulers of the Dome, the old goverment being wiped out, the 'new' war being against the forces of the DAC in the shell of Neocrons old enemy.

Although sidetracked from the original topic the point still stands.

Jesterthegreat
08-07-05, 19:48
not only might a pvp server bring people back... but it would lower the amount of "evil pkorz" on terra.

since "carebears" whine about being PK'd and "evil pkorz" whine about the carebear rules like belt drop... this could be a good thing.

however unless they sort the game out, and get it re-reviewed there will never be a big influx of players.

no big influx of players means we become more split up, and more likey to quit due to poulation numbers.

as much as i would love a PvP server... its pointless unless they sort the game, and get it known. Atari have been not alot better than CDV, and KK have left the game in its current state. the majority of the beta's i played crashed less than NC does. hell the nc2 closed beta was more stable.

Superbron
08-07-05, 22:41
Bring back the complicated Faction relationships. Get rid of this Red vs Blue crap.I agree with you on this point: I liked the complicated F6-system of NC1. Red vs. Blue is way too simple and a storyline to mess up some alliances should be introduced into this game!

Tratos
09-07-05, 00:15
Im hoping since the main war of the cities has faded (sort of and in storyline form) that relations within the dome begin to wear thin and truths within the city of Neocron become ignored as the stuggle to live continues within the world of Neocron, i.e. move back towards something like the NC1 F6 even if it only a few changes.

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 00:54
the main war of the cities has faded (sort of and in storyline form)

other than reports in neocronicle... i havent seen any "war" goin on at all since anti city moved into the dome.

i agree. time for the monks to get sick of the geeks... time for the gang wars to start again... time for company rivalries to be rekindled.

Kierz
09-07-05, 04:15
Does anyone have any old nc1 screenshots with the faction window open, or something similar, I'd love to know how things used to be. Agreed red vs blue is tiresome.

Netphreak
09-07-05, 16:53
Maybe they should just give us NC1 Uranus back.
Leave all this DOY and HN stuff behind... (can you even PvP in HN anyways...?)

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 16:57

its still there...

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9407/nc1login5lz.th.jpg (http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nc1login5lz.jpg)

:edit: screenie taken as i posted :p

Doc Holliday
09-07-05, 21:49

If they could do that AND bring back some of the old uranus players eg your old clan Net and some of my other good buddies from back in the day i would play again in a flash.

as it stands im paying my subs to log in to an occassional op war but that gets boring pretty fast. Last 1 i went to a stealthing tank came to play got beaten and ran off to heal and came back and did same again. i got bored the 2nd time so didnt bother pursueing. tanks SHOULD NOT be allowed stealth tbh. :mad:

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 21:52
If they could do that AND bring back some of the old uranus players eg your old clan Net and some of my other good buddies from back in the day i would play again in a flash.

as it stands im paying my subs to log in to an occassional op war but that gets boring pretty fast. Last 1 i went to a stealthing tank came to play got beaten and ran off to heal and came back and did same again. i got bored the 2nd time so didnt bother pursueing. tanks SHOULD NOT be allowed stealth tbh. :mad:

they cant.

and for the record every class who had the ability to stealth at any time abused it. in the past and in the present.

Infinite
09-07-05, 22:02
STarted levling on Uranus the other day, it was so nice to havce a decent RPOS, character model and no shitty hand movements, fast syncs and didnt crash once.

If only NC2 was anything like NC1. Playing UO atm as its much more enjoyable than NC2.

Nidhogg
09-07-05, 23:27
...fast syncs and didnt crash once.
That will be because of all the bugfixing that's been done to the NC1 server. Wait a minute, we haven't done any bugfixing to NC1, in fact that's the exact same NC1 server that everyone used to complain about - I wonder why it's so good now?

N

naimex
09-07-05, 23:44
That will be because of all the bugfixing that's been done to the NC1 server. Wait a minute, we haven't done any bugfixing to NC1, in fact that's the exact same NC1 server that everyone used to complain about - I wonder why it's so good now?

N

Dunno... I almost never FREd or Crashed in NC1, I never crash in nc2, i have gotten a few FREs in nc2 tho, but thats only in 2 situations :

1: Leaving and Entering NeoFrags are still slow in synch, and sometimes that leads to an FRE.

2: When quitting I sometimes get a FRE.... but it doesnt really matter there, cuz i was leaving anyways.

Anyways...

*puts on <3 KK <3 clothes*

Nice going Niddy <3 :D

Seven
09-07-05, 23:49

N

Because after playing NC2 for a while, playing NC1 "seems" like a polished game.

naimex
09-07-05, 23:53
Because after playing NC2 for a while, playing NC1 "seems" like a polished game.

nc2 is what you asked for in nc1...

more content, more patches, more things to do, more bugfixes....

if you go back to nc1 youll just start whining about all that stuff again, and then come back to nc2 saying, this a lot better actually.

Tostino
10-07-05, 00:03
Dunno... I almost never FREd or Crashed in NC1, I never crash in nc2, i have gotten a few FREs in nc2 tho, but thats only in 2 situations :

1: Leaving and Entering NeoFrags are still slow in synch, and sometimes that leads to an FRE.

2: When quitting I sometimes get a FRE.... but it doesnt really matter there, cuz i was leaving anyways.

Anyways...

*puts on <3 KK <3 clothes*

Nice going Niddy <3 :D
I crashed all the time in NC1, then I got in NC2 closed beta and I played 3 days without sleep and didn't crash one time (I got a grand total of 3 FRE's in a month of playing beta) then KK went to open... and you know the rest :mad:. GO BACK TO THE CLOSED BETA CLIENT! :p.

$tormbringer
10-07-05, 01:40

N

Properly because there wasn't anyone besides him in those zones, and since your servers couldn't handle more then 5 people in any given zone before going tits up it kinda explains that.

Seven
10-07-05, 04:30
nc2 is what you asked for in nc1...

more content, more patches, more things to do, more bugfixes....

Most of the new content is bugged.
There IS more to do, but they're all timesinks.
Bugfixes? There are still bugs from NC1 in NC2 PLUS new bugs.

Maybe NC2 is what you asked for, but it isn't what I asked for, or expecting.

Jesterthegreat
10-07-05, 10:52

N

nc1 seems more stable than nc2 to me aswell.

syncs seem better... fatals seem less... theres no mem leak...

of course its possible to run cast too... though we got stupid safezones :(

maybe the servers you guys have can just about manage to run stably if theres only 10 people playing? i've never bothered to log onto NC2 when its at 1% to find out.

RogerRamjet
10-07-05, 13:17

Same here.

Jesterthegreat
10-07-05, 13:30
its well past the time it was said it would be here.

KK arent discussing it with us in the slightest.

the thread they left us to discuss it in has lost sticky status and disappeared.

face it guys... its not happening.

in a month or so they will say "its not a priority" and it will be shoved to the bottom of the list below ppu's and neofrag fixes.

LTA
10-07-05, 14:00
its well past the time it was said it would be here.
Never met a deadline to date have they?

KK arent discussing it with us in the slightest.
The Usual lets go silent and leave it to die and vanish

the thread they left us to discuss it in has lost sticky status and disappeared.
Brush and lifted carpet so to speak

face it guys... its not happening.
Most probably realised this when it was announced lol

in a month or so they will say "its not a priority" and it will be shoved to the bottom of the list below ppu's and neofrag fixes.
No that list has no order its just the know things we like to ignore list once it reaches that then nothing will come of the subject again till a big uproar or something

Just how i feel about it all really should just be like square and publish patch notes on the day of the patch with hints prehand what may be done least then theres no built up hopes to have flattened.
Release the nc1 code to a community and let them mod n fix it and feck about with the code and models etc and run the nc1 server since u dont and see what happens..... bet some of the skills in this community there will be bags of content fixed bugs stability, things to do, theres everything here in this community.
Coders, Modelers, wed designers, rpers who could do feckin great rp content am sure, people who'd admin, gm, people who'd bug check code, ideas would actually prolly get tried n tested etc.... dunno why you shut the people who have stayed faithfull for so long and stuck around but still dont get a thanks or a chance to help.
Instead end forced to being bitter and hating of the company....

Tratos
10-07-05, 16:04
bet some of the skills in this community there will be bags of content fixed bugs stability, things to do, theres everything here in this community. Coders, Modelers, wed designers, rpers who could do feckin great rp content am sure, people who'd admin, gm, people who'd bug check code, ideas would actually prolly get tried n tested etc.... dunno why you shut the people who have stayed faithfull for so long and stuck around but still dont get a thanks or a chance to help.

For these reasons and points this is why KK need to have some sort of regualr competition for art and content and stuff and let the community help fix the game, im sure thered end up being a bunch of new QA people whod love to help Lupus stare at numbers and such just to fix the game they enjoy playing.