PDA

View Full Version : My Anti-Bias, Anti-Bad Spelling, Anti-Grammar, etc Check for the Newbie Guide

imper1um
07-07-05, 20:53
I'll be posting here every now and then to see what you guys think on specific portions of the newbie guide. I will also be answering questions, so a few things first.

1. Yes, once synergyXR gets up, you can post it on there, credit to me. ;-)
2. I'm still working on it, I'm down to the faction window, which is the sole reason of this first post on this post.

Okies, two sections I need comments on, including spelling, grammar and accuracy. Please tell me exactly what is wrong, espically if you can say where.

Here is section 1, which deals with the stat screen.

Welcome to the very confusing stat screen. This stat screen will allow you to change your stats if you very well want to. It is very wise to tweak your stats in some ways, since the default usually is not usually setup entirely correct. Basically, you will want to check a few things, depending on what type of gun you are using.
All Weapons - Under CONSTITUTION, make sure that you have 0 points in END (Endurance). If any points exist, distribute them evenly between HLT (Body Health) and ATL (Athletics). Do not spec END, since you can use Stamina Boosters if you need to get more stamina (explained later).
Rifles, Pistols and Heavy Combat - Under INTELLIGENCE, make sure all INT points are in Weapon Lore. WPL is needed earlier on in Rifle levelling.
Rifles - Check DEXTERITY and make sure that you have 90% of your points in R-C (Rifle Combat), 5% in AGL (Agility) and 5% in T-C (Hightech Combat). Although you cannot use Hightech Weapons right from character creation, it is a good idea to have it so that you do not need to wait too long once you are able to use them.
Pistols - Check DEXTERITY and make sure that you have 90% of your points in P-C (Pistol Combat), 5% in AGL (Agility) and 5% in T-C (Hightech Combat). Although you cannot use Hightech Weapons right from character creation, it is a good idea to have it so that you do not need to wait long once you are able to use them.
Drones - Check DEXTERITY and make sure that you have 90% of your points in RCL (Remote Control), 10% in AGL (Agility). Also check INTELLIGENCE and make sure you have 100% of your points in WPW (Willpower).
Melee - Check STRENGTH and make sure that you have half of your points in M-C (Melee Combat), 40% in FOR (Resist Force) and 10% in TRA (Transport).

It's not completely nessassary to change the stats, it's just Neocron has some points put where you don't nessassarily need them to begin with.

Monks are a little bit more difficult, since they have a few things that need to be worked out before this screen is closed. Your PSI setup. First, you need to ask yourself: Do I plan on levelling by myself or with someone else? Levelling by yourself may give you more freedom of when you can level, but it does not grant the same XP as in a team. Unfortunately, once you make a setup for a team, you cannot quicly change to a loner setup, or visa versa. It is possible to switch between the two, but it costs money and alot of time.

IF YOU PLAN ON LEVELLING BY YOURSELF
Start out with 8 MST (Mental Steadiness). The concept of MST will be explained later, but initially, you will only need 8, maximum (at least for a few levels).
You need 25 PPW (Psi Power). This will give ~50 Psi Pool, which is mediocre, but managable. More levels will need more PPW.
You need need 20-25 PPU and APU. Make your judgement call on how much PPU and APU you need. Do you want to cause more damage to monsters, or do you want to heal faster? Either way, finish up the points with 20-25 in each.

IF YOU PLAN ON LEVELLING IN A TEAM
If you are a PPU (Passive PSI User/Field Medic), use 6 MST.
If you are a APU (Aggressive PSI User/Inquisitor), use 8 MST.
Either way, give yourself 25-35 PPW.
If you are a APU, put 100% of the rest of the points into APU.
If you are a PPU, put 100% of the rest of the points into PPU.

Section 2 that needs to be checked is the faction guide. I want to make sure not only the Factions are opinion unbiased, but also accurate. I wasn't sure about the TS/BD/CS/FA Circle of faction relations, except for the fact that FA and CS are Neutral with each other and TS and BD are Neutral with each other. Also, check the apartment locations of all NC Factions. Let me know if you haven't or have seen Primary Apartments in Sectors with different faction starts. I wasn't about to make 800 characters to experiment. :p

Neocron has 11 Player Factions and 2 NPC Factions and 1 GM Faction. Obviously, you cannot join the NPC and GM Factions, but you can join one of the 11 Player Factions. The names of these are: CityAdmin, Tangent Technologies, NExT, Crahn Sect, Fallen Angels, Twilight Guardian, Protopharm, Biotech, Tsunami Syndicate, Black Dragon and City Mercs. All 11 of these factions have an HQ somewhere around Neocron. Which faction you choose depends on where your primary apartment is and also where your loyalties lay, at least for now.

Here is an 100% unbiased list about all 11 factions.
CityAdmin - CityAdmin is the faction that is currently in power of Neocron City. They are enemies to all of the factions in DoY, and allied to all factions in Neocron. They are also Neutral to City Mercs. CityAdmin grants an apartment usually in Plaza1, 2, or 3.
Protopharm - Protopharm is a faction that mainly produces medicades, including drugs. They are allied to BioTech and CityAdmin, but Neutral to City Mercs, Tangent Technologies and NExT. They are enemy to all of the factions in DoY. Protopharm apartments have been known to be in Via2 and 3, and Plaza1 and 2.
BioTech - BioTech is a faction that produces implants, mainly. They are allied to Protopharm and CityAdmin, Neutral to City Mercs, Tangent Technologies and NExT. Like the other NC factions, they are enemy to all of the factionsin DoY. BioTech apartments have been known to be in Via2 and 3, and Plaza1.
Tangent Technologies - Tangent Technologies is a faction that produces weapons. They are allied to CityAdmin and NExT, Neutral to City Mercs, BioTech and ProtoPharm. As with the other NC Factions, they are enemies to all DoY Factions. Tangent Technologies apartments have been known to appear in Via2 and 3.
NExT - NExT for short, Neocron Exploration Technologies is a faction that produces vehicles and transport systems. All of the Hovercabs and Hoversubways have been produced by NExT. NExT is allied to CityAdmin and Tangent Technologies, and Neutral to City Mercs, Protopharm and BioTech. Same with other NC Factions, NExT is enemy to all DoY Factions. NExT apartments have been known to appear in Plaza1,2,3 and 4.
City Mercs - City Mercs are what the name entails, Mercenaries. They are neutral to every faction except for Twilight Guardian, which they are enemy to. CityMercs can go anywhere in Neocron including Neocron City and Dome of York without being shot by guards, unless they shoot first, although they cannot go near the TG HQ in DoY or TG Canyon without being shot. City Mercs apartments all appear in Military Base Sec-1.
Crahn Sect - Crahn Sect are the founders and were the leaders of Neocron before being driven out by Reeza and his allied factions. They are Allied to Twilight Guardian and Black Dragon, but Neutral to Fallen Angels, City Mercs and Tsunami Syndacate. Crahn Sect are enemies to all NC Factions. Crahn Sect apartments all appear in Crahn Sector in DoY.
Fallen Angels - Fallen Angels are the founders of Tech Haven. They moved to DoY after it's creation, and they are allied to Twilight Guardian and Tsunami Syndacate. They are also Neutral to City Mercs, Black Dragon and Crahn Sect. As with the other DoY Factions, they are all enemy to all NC Factions. Fallen Angels apartments all appear in FA Sector in DoY.
Tsunami Syndacate - Tsunami Syndacate are pretty much your 'thugs' of DoY. Really, I have no idea what they make or even smuggle. They belong to DoY and are allied to Twilight Guardian and Fallen Angels. They are also Neutral to City Mercs, Black Dragon and Crahn Sect, as well as enemies to all NC Factions. Tsunami apartments all appear in TS Sector in DoY.
Black Dragon - Black Dragon is the smugglers of DoY. They provide illegal drugs which only Black Dragon Supply Managers hold. They belong to DoY and are allied to Twilight Guardian and Crahn Sect. They are also Neutral to Black Dragon, Fallen Angels and City Mercs. As is the same with other Doy factions, they are enemies to all NC Factions. Black Dragon Apartments all appear in BD Sector in DoY.
Twilight Guardian - Twilight Guardian is the complete opposite of CityAdmin. They produce powerful weapons to provide resistance against all Neocron Factions. They built DoY and TG Canyon, which they call home to both. Twilight Guardian is the only faction that is enemy to City Mercs. They are allied with all DoY factions, but enemy to all NC Factions. Twilight Guardian Apartments all appear in TG Sector in DoY.

Thanks, please comment on grammar, spelling, accuracy and any opinionated biases. Thanks.

-FN-
07-07-05, 21:18
1. Yes, once synergyXR gets up, you can post it on there, credit to me. ;-)
http://nc.synergyxr.net/

Jesterthegreat
07-07-05, 22:29
other than changing "in power" to something along the lines of "governing" to stop it possibly giving the suggestion that they are a more powerful faction, it looks good.

oh and end is usefull for a noobie melee char. from the start, and even more so if you wish to run and swing in a swamp cave.

Mr Kot
08-07-05, 02:09
There are 12 player factions. You forgot Diamond.

May also be worth mentioning "No faction" too.

I'll proof read the rest when im not as tired ;)

Original monk
08-07-05, 12:16
There are 12 player factions. You forgot Diamond.

is diamond even worth mentioning lol ? noone stays in diamond anyway lol, xcept my ppu lol

Morganth
08-07-05, 19:44
May also be worth mentioning "No faction" too.

Not really, unless you were "No Faction" before the patch (which new players are unlikely to be), its impossible to get there by conventional means now.

imper1um
08-07-05, 21:05
I thought there was 12, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Bad news, my main computer, which has the guide currently is without a video card fan. I will be looking for a replacement asap, but it won't be worked on until I can get one for it :(

ZoVoS
09-07-05, 02:53
hey my barter person is dimond, not sure why, just like the idea of him being a leader of big business :rolleyes:

Sammson
10-07-05, 15:43
I feel for your card fan. Lost mine 2 months ago to a bearing failure. It made a hellish noise till i jammed a toothpick in it. Been working fine since, heheh, ati 9600 pro, low heat card, guess it'll cook eventually tho. Finding a replacement g- card fan is, well, harder then finding trophy parts, lol. Good job on the guide, btw.

Tratos
10-07-05, 15:57
Not really, unless you were "No Faction" before the patch (which new players are unlikely to be), its impossible to get there by conventional means now.

What happens now? your faction just get pissed at you?

Morganth
10-07-05, 17:14
What happens now? your faction just get pissed at you?

You stay in your faction, just with negative sympathy. So if you were CA and wanted to go TG for example, you'd have the DoY bots/guards shooting at you, regardless of the fact you may have 50+ TG symp. Don't know if pro-city guards will attack you because of your symp though, but copbots will if you have negative SL as normal.

Just makes switching cities a little harder (although imho its easier to run a DoY through the city than vice versa, I had to run my PPU through PP3 => P1 as Crahn in order to get him CA [to be in PAIN], which was easy, yet when I went TG the guards ********** me).

ArgieD
11-07-05, 14:17
I got a good one

Black Dragon - Black Dragon is the smugglers of DoY. They provide illegal drugs which only Black Dragon Supply Managers hold. They belong to DoY and are allied to Twilight Guardian and Crahn Sect. They are also Neutral to Black Dragon....

Neutral to themselves...

Capt. Rik
11-07-05, 14:46
You missed Heavy Combat from the list of combat types

Nice work though

Riddle
11-07-05, 14:52
only one thing I would suggest. Noobs are not aware of what class gives what starter weapon.

If you tweak points as you suggest but get a different starter weapon your useless :(

I.e. Sets up points as Rifleman gets a starter pistol.