PDA

View Full Version : Attention: You are all social outcasts and criminals...

Obsidian X
07-07-05, 16:21
...according to a funny website I found today. Just couldn't resist posting it here. I'd like to post a few quotes from MAVAV.org (Mothers Against Videogame Addiction and Violence - you know its going to be good).

Fact: Video games have been proven to prevent the development of the proper social skills and interaction needed for a long happy and enjoyable life. Young gamers are prone to being burdened with depression and sadness all throughout their life

No question there NC Community ;) , though I'd like to know where they get the credentials to label this as "Fact".

Fact: Hardcore gaming not only leads to video game addiction and abrupt lifestyle changes, but to crime and felony as well. Hardcore gamers never buy computer video games. Instead, downloading illegally copied video games or “warez” is the only method acceptable by the underground. Buying a legit copy is grounds for abandonment by community groups. You may not be buying your child videogames, but they can illegally obtain them off the internet

This is indeed "fact" too. I myself was booted out of a clan for purchasing a retail copy of Quake 3. They also used to call me hurtful names like "Retail-Boy" becuase I wasn't leet enough to use warez; I wasn't 'underground' enough. Thats when I really began my life of crime and felony :rolleyes:

Never assume drugs or otherwise is the problem for your child's poor academic performance. Video game addiction is not to be under-estimated. It is a serious epidemic plaguing our children nationwide. We recommend getting professional psychiatric help.

Absolutely. I came home with poor grades as a kid. Upon searching my room, my father found a copy of Simcity 2000 under my bed. Needless to say, he beat me mercilessly until I learned that winners don't do videogames.

While the focus and idea behind MMORPG seems utopian and innocent, the emotional and mental wellness of the gamer can be severely affected: increased anxiety and irritability, argumentative, appetite and weight loss, impaired judgment, paranoia, sadness and depression, loss of interest in appearance, and sleeplessness

Ok first of all, why should anyone listen to a bunch of cantankerous old crones, who think that "wellness" is even a legitimate word? That aside, I've never known anyone to lose weight from playing an MMO. About the only thing I can agree on there is sleeplessness.

The whole site is a laugh to be honest:- Biased, factually devoid propoganda, by people claiming to know about gaming culture. That said, its one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

enigma_b17
07-07-05, 16:25
LOL.....that thing about the only way Hardcore gamers get games is by illegally downloading them.....its actually the complete opposite. I rekon people would be more likely to buy a game then dload one, it comes in a shiny box, otherwise it just doesnt feel right.

There are certain cases where computer game addiction can lead to weight loss, lack of social development, and some other more serious effects, but thats in EXTREME cases where people do nothing but play these games. Its obvious that lot are just venting their anger and havent actually done the research to back up their so called "facts"!!!

Netphreak
07-07-05, 16:30
Thats just funny, i can't think of any other words for it.

Many of their points are false and just plain wrong.

Playing computer games has infact introduced me to many new people through online games and LAN's etc.
It provides a healthy dose of competitiveness (but like anything can be taken to seriously).

Who knows maybe American kids are more succeptable to the problems listed, like they are to advertising.
But I'm reckon the american part of the Neocron community will show up and prove those so called facts wrong.

sanityislost
07-07-05, 18:00
LOL that is insane.... :wtf:

SiL ..:..

Dr Strange
07-07-05, 18:28
i should be like, suing them for royalties or something

like that guy thats suing for using the word Stealth within a url name (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/04/0428246&tid=123&tid=155&tid=133)

i'd make a god damn fortune ;)

RogerRamjet
07-07-05, 18:50
I happened to get into NC about the time i became lazy towards school work anyway, but its always nice to blame NC and not yourself :D

Jesterthegreat
07-07-05, 19:03
"warez" games rarely work fully (mainly not online) meaning "hardcore gamers" tend to buy games.