PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive Newbie Guide - In the works.

imper1um
07-07-05, 03:05
I am compiling a full newbie guide, and I mean a full one. Here is the first hour's work so far. This should help out new players much more than anything we have on here so far.

Imper1um's Newbie Guide v0.1
By Imper1um

Welcome to Imper1um's Newbie Guide. This will help you get around Neocron as a new player. I know the entire game may be new to you, and this will help you to get around and get used to the concepts that may be entirely new to you. This game is a pretty hard game to pick up, but it's very fast to pick up once you get going. Unlike other MMOs, Neocron offers the ability to PvP within a few weeks instead of a few months. I hope you stick around, and just ask for help if you ever need any.

Section 1 - Character Creation
Section 2 - Newbie MC5/HUD
Section 3 - Outside Newbie MC5/Skill Management
Section 4 - Low Level Missions/Respawning PvM Skills
Section 5 - Mid Level Missions/Non-Respawning PvM Skills aka Cavern Runs
Section 6 - Tradeskilling
Section 7 - What now?

Section 1 - Character Creation
If you have not already, you will need to do/have a few things:
Neocron 2. Neocron 2 can now be bought most places in Europe, or be downloaded off of the Neocron website.
A Neocron account. This is pretty simple. When you start up the Neocron launcher from the shortcut, just click My Account and follow the instructions on how to get your account setup.
Your updated Neocron. This DOES NOT require a Neocron account, just click 'Play Neocron 2' from the Launcher. This will auto-update the client. It's probably best to upgrade Neocron while waiting for confirmation from C2p or CbC that your account has been confirmed.

Once you have an account, Launch Neocron 2 from the Neocron 2 Launcher. Choose a Resolution and Render Engine, click through the Logos, and you should see something similar to this:

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/1336/login.gif

This is the Login screen. There's not much to it, but there's alot that you might want to look at/change before you login. The first is the options button. This is (currently) the ONLY place to change controls and turn on/off music/sfx, so if you have any preferences on things, you should choose it now, because it is a pain in the butt once you get into the game and relize that you don't like a specific setting.

Once you have your options set, you will need to type in your Username and Password. Clicking 'SAVE LOGIN' is optional, but it reduces time to login, and trust me, you will have to login many times during this game, which I will explain later why. If multiple people have access to your computer, it's wise to leave this option off, espically if that person is a significant other ;-) . After you type in your username and password, click either NEXT at the bottom-right corner or ENTER right under the Username/Password screen. Most likely you will end up at the next screen, but if it pops back to this screen without a reason, just try again. NOTE: Clicking Resume will not work if this is a new account.

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/7/server.gif

Welcome to our lovely server screen. Neocron 2 has four servers: Terra, Pandore, Mars and Mercury. I will explain about these four different servers. Currently, none of the servers are altered from each other, but they do offer different languages:

Terra - English Server
Mercury - German Server
Mars - German Server
Pandore - French Server

Choose the server that best fits your language. After you choose your server, select NEXT to go onto the Character Select Screen, which should look like this:

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/8052/charselect.gif

The Character Select screen should have no faces for a new account. Mine has a few faces of course because I already have an account, and I've been playing for almost 4 months now. For now, you will need to create a new account by clicking << create new on any slot. It doesn't matter which slot you pick, just as long as it is one. This should pop up the next screen:

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/3194/jobselect.gif

This is one of the two most important screens you will see in character creation. It is important to choose the class you wish to be correctly, since it directly effects what character types you are able to select. Also, you can change your setup after you create the character, but it is extremely difficult for not only time but money. Here is the full explination you WON'T get from the Roleplay stuff:

Assassin - Available Types: Spy, PE - The Assassin is your normal rifle setup. If you like being a sniper, this is probably the best class for you.
Driver - Available Types: Spy, PE, Tank - The Driver is a 90% Vehicle Setup, 10% Pistol Setup. This class is not advisable to be used for a first character since levelling in a vehicle is impossible for a character that is just starting out.
Engineer - Available Types: Spy, PE - The Engineer is your Constructor setup. This class is made for those who don't generally like combat, and like to make alot of money, and don't mind having the repitition. Don't select this class unless you don't like combat.
Field Medic - Available TypeS: PSI Monk - The Field Medic is your healer. This class uses PSI powers to boost and heal your friendlies. Don't select this class unless you like seeing the back end of some friend 99% of the time. Also do not select this class if you like going out by yourself, because Field Medics cannot cause enough damage to level on.
Hacker - Available Types: Spy, PE - The Hacker is the dude that goes through HackNet. Hacknet will be explained in this tutorial. Do not select this class if you cannot stand bright lights, and mind games. :D
Infiltrator - Available Types: Spy, PE - The Infiltrator is your general sneak around in stealth and shoot at people at close range using pistols dude. This is a pistol setup. Do not select this class if you do not like to be sneaky and tactical 95% of the time.
Inquisitor - Available Types: Psi Monk - The Inquisitor is your normal, average everyday spellcaster that can't take care of himself. The Inquisitor must have a Field Medic/PPU behind him all the time or he will surely hit 0 Health every time. Do not select this class if you like to go out on your own.
Preacher - Available Types: Psi Monk - The Preacher is your general healing/attacking Hybrid. The preacher uses the mind to cast spells on not only himself to heal/buff himself, but also to attack enemies. Do not select this class if you hate being alone. Also, do not select this class if you are not very attentative to buffs.
Scientist - Available Types: Spy, PE, Psi Monk - The Scientist is a full researcher. A researcher is nessassary to create blueprints of items so that they are made. Being a scientist is one of the most profitable classes in the game, but it is also the most boring. If you hate doing mundane things millions of times over again, do not select this class.
Soldier - Available Types: PE, Tank - The Soldier uses Heavy Weapons to accomplish it's goal of killing. Heavy Weapons are, well, very heavy, and they are both Area of Effect and Single Target weapons. Soldiers usually can absorb a great amount of damage and take care of themselves pretty well if fully experienced, although the team is where the Soldier excels.
Street Samurai - Available Types: PE, Tank - The Street Samurai uses Melee weapons 100% of the time to kill things. Street Samurais can absorb insanely large amounts of damage and are extremely fast. They are extremely vulnerable when it comes to long distances, but at close range, the Street Samurai deccimates. Do not select this class if you hate being extremely close to players.

Mechanicus
07-07-05, 03:08
very good, on the char creation section you should put in a little message which encourages them to make a monk, just to annoy the monk haters :P

aKe`cj
07-07-05, 03:11
keep it up! ...first pic made me laugh ("see the big enter-button? Good, that enter-button is called the enter-button!) but overall good work http://neocron.jafc.de/images/icons/icon14.gif

I'd say you got ~ 1/5th of the essential starters-guide there ... hope you have a lot of spare time to complete it ;)

imper1um
07-07-05, 03:12
No, it's going to be entirely non-biases, espically for the faction part...
Unless, of course, someone gives me 3 DSs, 1 Hawk, a SA, and 20 mil NC ;-) jk

ZoVoS
07-07-05, 03:18

mine dont look like that, there bodys and legs stick through the boxes, my people are special :angel:

eprodigy
07-07-05, 03:45

mine dont look like that, there bodys and legs stick through the boxes, my people are special :angel:
that happens in dx7:( but those must be new chars or they would also just be shadows :P

Martek
07-07-05, 04:41
Great start! Hope you can keep it going.

Is Rigger missing or am I missing it somehow?

Martek

Tostino
07-07-05, 04:48
Nice guide Imper1um. Keep it up.

bounty
07-07-05, 05:45
Great job, this should have been done a long ass time ago and by KK, not the community, but damn good job.

-FN-
07-07-05, 08:29
When you're done, can I adapt it to nc.syn with credit to you?

sanityislost
07-07-05, 18:02
WooT...nice one dude.....looks great so far

SiL ..:..

Jesterthegreat
07-07-05, 19:27
rigger does indeed appear to be missing.

good to see you focusing your creative energies on something good imp ;)

Scanner Darkly
10-07-05, 02:00
This is some impressive and thorough work Imperium. I hope once this gets done it gets linked to on the main nc2 site as well - as not all newbies read the forums...

imper1um
10-07-05, 17:03
As soon as I buy a new fan for my video card (hopefully tomarrow), I can continue work.