PDA

View Full Version : Broadband tomfoolery

Dribble Joy
07-07-05, 01:55
I am moving in to a new house in the end of august, and we need to sort out tinternet stuff.

I am reasonalby proficient in computer matters, but I need some advice and things.

The others in the house would prefer wireless, it means no faffing with cableage and they are not concerned with ping.
I am however.
Foretuneately, the downstairs telephone socket is in my room.

Our current vague plan is thus:
Get a wireless router/modem which has an ethernet port in the back as well (which are availiable as far as I know) and the others do as they want.

The problem is the issue with the television.
My mate has a freeview (UK digital service) card for his comp, and another mate is a video type personage (we are treating him to a night out in a top London gay club for sorting it) and hooking it up to my other mate's TV.
Thus we get our digital (UKTV History oh yeah) and play films from this comp.

Now I know jack shit about servers and networks.
Do I need a server at all?
If I want to play DvDs and films off this TV-comp, is there a way of doing it without having to make it or another comp a server?

CMaster
07-07-05, 02:44
Your Average wireless router (or at least the one I have) does indeed have ethernet ports, and sorts out most of the network tomfoolry itself. As for you second question - get a TV card for the TVPC? I don't think I undertand what you want.

ZoVoS
07-07-05, 02:54
soz dj but that totaly confused the hell out of me

most wierles routers got the rj 45 slots (or er 30, crosover and direvt always confuse me) so u can hard wire it to ur ethernet card, LAST THINGS U WANT IS THE BLOODY CONECTION LOST HAPPENING on that dam wierless crap

can u explain the tv card thing again... are u erm trying to share hardware from one pc over a network or sumin :S

Dribble Joy
07-07-05, 14:05
My mate's TV card can also recieve freeview digital.
We are then going to fit that comp with a decent gfx card and stick that into the back of the telly.
Thus we will be able to watch DvDs and DivX and digital telly from that machine.

What I need to know is how to create a means by which I can send that machine files without having to make a server.

CMaster
07-07-05, 18:01
Yes. They just have to mark a folder as "shared" on said computer, and you can upload/download to it.

Jesterthegreat
07-07-05, 23:15
while i know nothing of the freeview stuffs...

wireless routers tend to have ethernet slottage (as said). only thing with wireless is its a kmission to keep secure. read up on it (dont know any sites off hand) because unless you take precautions to secure it its not that hard for people to acces it and not only eat your bandwidth, but also have access to anything you have shared (and the cache copy of each hard drive if you dont turn that off)

dunno if you have a decent firewall, but i would certainly suggest reading up on the routers (reviews and such) to find one with really good security (and easy to use is always a bonus).

:edit:

If your wireless LAN is located in a single family home, then you are probably more at risk from intruders coming in via your Internet connection than from folks gaining access to your LAN over the air. But if your LAN has some means of wireless connectivity, you've added another way to access your LAN that doesn't require getting past your router's firewall and doesn't even require physical access!

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

having only set up a wireless network once i'm not sure how definative the info on that site is, so it's best to look around.

was the first site i found while googling "wireless network security"

Morganth
08-07-05, 00:06
The best way to prevent access to a wireless network is the tell the Access Point to only allow people to connect if they have a MAC address listed on the Access Point. This will deter wardrivers, as they will be more likely to go and find a more open connection, that to have to get around the security measures you have put in place.

Dribble Joy
08-07-05, 11:18
I am a complete nibblet with these things, how do I create a LAN without having a server?

netster
08-07-05, 12:55
I am a complete nibblet with these things, how do I create a LAN without having a server?

well u got allready a lan, when u connect everyone up with the ethernet-ports + WLan to the router.

i prefer servers. i got a pure (linux, but will be swapped to freebsd, but basically the same... also got a windowsserver, but its barely on) server running at home. quick-sharing of music, vids, etc is much more comfortable. even the DVD-streaming is no problem, if u know how to do it.

when u want to create a server for streaming, check out =>
vid = http://www.videolan.org
audio = shoutcast relay/own server (make up a huge list with music everyone likes, most servers also got a smooth web-frontend for remote control)
Share/Domain = Samba for linux / Windows Server (for everyone can logon on everyones PC)
remote control = windows server => tightvnc or XP desktopshare / Linux = everything in the world, but i usually use Tightvnc or X-Forward (with putty, when i're outside of my lan)
email = receiving your mails centered in your own location rules :)

server enh for your lan :
- own privat free space outside of your own rig (very good to backup with tape for example)
- easy to access files (imagine when u need some files from your mate and he changed pass... )
- more resources for streaming
-blabla

well, i dont wanna sell ya a server basically, but i personal thinking it got much more advantages to have a server, even when u life alone ;)

Jesterthegreat
08-07-05, 13:39
easiest way?

in windows XP:

bring up the network connections screen (in control panel) and run the home network wizard.

on the PC connected to the net tell it to connect directly, on the other pc(s) tell it to connect via network.

make sure they are all in the same workgroup (MSHOME is default and works fine)

restart em all to be sure, that should be it.

i'm not at home so i cant look at these things... so its off the top of my head. but thats pretty much it. you may have to manually tell your internet connection to share, but the wizard should do it for you.

Dribble Joy
08-07-05, 19:58
In a similar, yet unrelated issue; I have my comp back here in the bury for the summer, the BB modem is USB (ick) and goes into the home comp.
We now have a hub connected to that comp's network card and then to my comp's network card. However, though I can see the other comp, I can't get net access. Yet more network nibberyness.

Jesterthegreat
08-07-05, 20:19
mines USB too. no problem.

as i said above (now that i am home maybe more detail :p):

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5769/network12zv.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=network12zv.jpg)

wherever you go "my network places" should be selectable from the menu on the left or the drag down "address" menu.

the "setup a home or small office network" on the left is what you need.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3913/network22sh.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=network22sh.jpg)

top option for the one with the USB modem, second one down for the other PC. (i'd do it on the one with the modem first, and when completely finished reboot it. then do it on the other and reboot that, then dial up to the net once both are rebooted)

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7789/network31pb.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=network31pb.jpg)

next select your internet connection (the top one in my list)

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1717/network49rp.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=network49rp.jpg)

automatic setup is the win.

right. try it based on that info. if it doesnt work i'll look again. dont really wanna let the wizard play with my net / network connections while both my PC's are using the net :p

:edit: simple to do on the other PC too. if it asks you to select a connection read it carefully. it prolly says something like "select a connection to access the internet through", so choose your network card, not some old net connection you left on that pc :p

Dribble Joy
08-07-05, 21:52
I am floundering like a beached flounder.

Could youi post those pics somewhere this shitty comp of my dad's can view them or do a step by step guide?

To clarify:
Tinternet into Dad's comp (running ME) to hub to my comp (runnning 2k).

Jesterthegreat
08-07-05, 22:04
ME? worst windows OS out there...

and sorry... i dont have anything other than XP at hand atm. i hand the job to someone else :p

:edit: you couldnt view the pics in that post from imageshack?

darkservent
09-07-05, 15:21
I dunno if this would be relevant to ur first problem but go check out snapstreams beyondtv and beyondtv link. It allows you to share ur TV over the network so 10 people can use one tv card to watch telly but only the channel the tv card is tuned into. The only problem with it is changin channels would be very slow cause of the PVR functionality of it.

As for DVD sharing just share folders and drives using my network places.

Dribble Joy
09-07-05, 19:57
:edit: you couldnt view the pics in that post from imageshack?
The page opens and all the stuff on it, but not the image itself.

Jesterthegreat
09-07-05, 20:09
odd... never had issues with imageshack before.

either way it was an XP wizard so it wouldn't have helped anyway

Dribble Joy
11-07-05, 16:33
I've bimbled about in all the net settings on both comps to no avail (as I know nothing really.

Anyone know what might be the problem?

Rabiator
11-07-05, 17:40

As Netster said, a router with ethernet and WLan connection to the PCs is a LAN.

A good way of operating it would be using a combined broadband modem/router/wireless access point. I guess Netster meant one of these do-it-all thingies when he simply wrote "router". Most of them can even provide DHCP to the PCs in the LAN.

DHCP is a service that allows the PCs to get their internet configuration automatically, just make sure the router is on and connected to your internet access provider. The rest will happen automagically :angel:

Jesterthegreat
11-07-05, 19:36
aye a modem / router with an IP address you can type into a net browser to access the setting it the win.

however if you have 1 computer with the net, and a computer toi share the net to then the one with direct access is a server (as far as the net is concerned).

while i could prolly get it working if i sat infront of it and fiddled... i can't really help.

i've only ever been a hands on technician...

Dribble Joy
11-07-05, 20:15
Ok, ignoring the initial question about the house network; the imidiate issue is with getting tinternet to work here at home.

What would prevent a comp sharing it's net access? I can see the comp with the net on my comp, but I have no net. The two are linked via a hub and their respective network cards.

Jesterthegreat
11-07-05, 20:18
the computers would have to be networked to share the net... it shares the net over the network.

Dribble Joy
11-07-05, 20:39
OK, how do you 'network' the two comps?

Jesterthegreat
11-07-05, 20:55
i use the network wizard :p

ok... havent used an older version of windows in a while, and i suck without playing with it myself but heres a brain fart.

go into the network connections thing in control panel and go onto the properties of your lan connection on the one directly connected to the net (the server).

set the IP address to 10.0.0.1 (a LAN IP)

go ono the other PC and have it automatically getting the IP from the server.

do a reboot on both, load up the command prompt on the one not directly connected to the net (the client).

tyoe "ping 10.0.0.1"

this is the most basic of things to do. even without setting up any kind of connection, as long as you know the IP of the other PC, and as long as they are connected, you should be able to ping them.

if this works, then its just a matter of (a lot possibly) fiddling with settings.

if it doesnt work then theres a fairchance that network cards / cables are boned.

Dribble Joy
11-07-05, 21:11
In the TCP/IP settings? or in a more generic place?

ZoVoS
11-07-05, 21:16
can u just cheat and make a windows xp network wizard disk for other operating systems,

and tut 10.0.0.1 =[ should be using 192.168.0.1

Jesterthegreat
11-07-05, 21:24
and tut 10.0.0.1 =[ should be using 192.168.0.1

they do the same thing...

and yes. in TCP/IP in your LAN network cards.

Dribble Joy
11-07-05, 21:31
The box asks for a 'subnet mask', what do I put in the box, if anything?

ZoVoS
11-07-05, 21:32
The box asks for a 'subnet mask', what do I put in the box, if anything?

-=edit=- actualy with the size or ur network and single locations make it 255.0.0.0

and the reason you use 192.168.0.1 is because it is intranet standard, 10.0.0.1 is just plain lazi

Jesterthegreat
11-07-05, 21:34

-=edit=- actualy with the size or ur network and single locations make it 255.0.0.0

what he said.

i tend to go for 255.255.255.0 regardless personally

Dribble Joy
11-07-05, 23:15
This is all so daft.

Both comps can see each other via My Network places - Computers near me, and can share files, but nothing to do with the internet.

I ran the Home network wizard on the comp connected to the net, and all was good untill it told me to run it on the other comp.
Problem being that my comp is 2k, not 95/98/ME and doesn't have that wizard.

I tried to set up the comp with the net as a server as instructed above, but I'm not sure I did it right.
I went to control panel - Network - Config tab, then went to the TCP/IP (network card) settings and put in the numbers, but then my comp couldn't see it and pingingit didn't work.

I am so confuzzled.

ZoVoS
11-07-05, 23:35
i had that its anoying, ur router modem is one in the same rite? ur not on a usb modem or sumin?

wana try a netmeating desctop share? i can prolly do it for you if both can acces the internet seperatly, :P dial up modem on both or sumin lol

Jesterthegreat
11-07-05, 23:42
the BB modem is USB (ick)

i'd assume its a USB one (unless he was talking about an unrelated issue)

but USB ones share fine... mines USB and i'm sharing right now (my mums partners playin WoW and eating my bandwidth while i DL FOMK :p)

ZoVoS
11-07-05, 23:46
ye but its not that simple, if he has a router u need to either plug the modem into the router, OR make a single computer a internet server and that always has to be on to share the internet, not forgeting ICS has to be enabled

Jesterthegreat
12-07-05, 00:07
aye the PC directly connected to the net will have to remain on... but thats not exactly a hard feat.

ZoVoS
12-07-05, 00:12
aye the PC directly connected to the net will have to remain on... but thats not exactly a hard feat.
pissing anoying though if its ur pc that has to stay on all the time, i "acidentaly" ran 240V through the usb lead on my modem and fryed it to claim on warentie and giving me a reason to buy a router with a built in modem from speed touch

Dribble Joy
12-07-05, 00:40
We have managed to get one comp to be able to ping the other, but not the other comp to ping the first, which is a bit daft, but we think we know why.

My Dad's gong to work tomo and fiinding out the settings they use there.

Dribble Joy
12-07-05, 20:47
Right, what sort of numbers should I have in the gateway and DNS address boxes for the server and other comps?

Dribble Joy
13-07-05, 19:32
Got the DNS/Gateway sorted, but on the LAN neither comp can't see the server (not even the server).

Jesterthegreat
13-07-05, 20:00
neither can see the server?

thought you just had 2 comps you were trying to lan... where did the 3rd+ one(s) come from?

Dribble Joy
13-07-05, 20:05
By server, I mean the comp connected to the net trying to share it's connection.