PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else experianced this?

Mechanicus
30-06-05, 23:10
I've been having some strange crashes in NC, only started recently, like a week or a bit more ago, basically what happens is my fps frops to like 1 and my speakers start making a strange harmonic beeping sound, not a harsh beep but a kind of nice sounding note, and the tone seems to vary randomly, after like 5 secs of this it bluescreens and reboots, sometimes i can play for hours without this but then after happening once it happens every 5 minutes if i keep trying to play nc, i didnt get a chance to read what the blue screen said as it disapears too fast. It seems to happen most at opp wars or in swampcaves.

Has anyone else had this and does anyone know how to solve it? (ive tryed a file check)
its really making nc unplayable

Odin
01-07-05, 02:05
Sounds very much like what's going on with my vid card. I have to replace it tommorow cause it's overheating large to the point that by the time I figured it out it's nearly fried. Have to underclock it by 1/3rd right now to keep any stability.

With how hot it's been here lately those types of overheating problems are bound to show their ugly head.

That's just one guess though.

All I know is I'm buying one of these (http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=004402&cid=FN.806) this time.

Try using something like radlinker (at your own risk of course) to underclock and see if you get any stability that way.

Mechanicus
01-07-05, 02:14
i dont see how it could be my video card overheating (im using a PCI-E GF6600GT), my comp runs at like 30oC with good air circulation, and i can run any other game (ie. BF2, HL2) at max settings with smooth frames for hours with no problems at all

i reinstalled and havnt had the problem again yet, but i havnt been to an opp war or cave since then either

Odin
01-07-05, 02:27
i dont see how it could be my video card overheating (im using a PCI-E GF6600GT), my comp runs at like 30oC with good air circulation, and i can run any other game (ie. BF2, HL2) at max settings with smooth frames for hours with no problems at all

i reinstalled and havnt had the problem again yet, but i havnt been to an opp war or cave since then either

Ah might have been game corruption is all. All I know is my vid card problems started about 2 months ago and I thought it was Neocron to until codi took a good look at my logs and couldn't find anything. Then it started happening with WoW and other games and then it started with just the desktop. Bites to cause I just bought that video card 2 years ago.

Mechanicus
01-07-05, 02:34
heh it better not be my vid card 'cause i just bought it a few months ago :p

netster
01-07-05, 06:40
did u checked with MotherboardMonitor? i got a 6800GT and the drivers are showing the temperature of my gfx since forceware release thought.

hegemon
01-07-05, 08:15
Software shouldn't be able to cause blue screens or reboots. So if that happens it's most likely a hardware problem or some driver problem. Considering that it's summer, I'd vote for some kind of overheating. The 30oC, where is that? Is that the motherboard? Or the cpu? Or the graphics card? Or?

netster
01-07-05, 10:48
since i was an old ati-fan, i just checked again, the newer versions of 9800pro with x800 pcb (wheeee, i got one of these :D) got also a temp-sensor onboard. all others above 9800pro should have the tempsensor allready. (dunno if the custom-brands like creative, saphire also include the sensor, my 9800pro is saphire and got the sensor :) )

http://forums.techpowerup.com/archive/index.php/t-996.html
(discussion about ati models with temp sensor, also a link included with images where the tempsensor is found on the PCB!)

perhaps this might help u directly to add up your MBM with the gfx tmp :
http://forums.techpowerup.com/archive/index.php/t-455.html

TOOL : http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
- Temperature monitoring and fan speed control (on supported cards)
(an also options for you to overclocking your gfx // while you can overclock it, u can also go down for underclocking it, if the tempgain of the current speeds is too high!)

// at some points 2 1/2 months ago, i switched over to 6800GT (256megs). as i know from my older laptop (2.8ghz mobile p4, 1/2 gig ram, NV 5200go gfx onboard) the tempsensor was builded inside the NV-gfx-core much more earlier.

Richard Blade
01-07-05, 20:27
I've gotten the bluescreen from a problem when I went from onboard sound to an audigy sound card. Probably something with the drivers. But, it would only crash when I was getting plasma to the face, or while shooting the rhino down an incline. Weird.

Also, NC heats my processor up more than any other game I've played. That could be related somehow.

Also, I had a memory issue last year that caused problems with Neocron. Only in Neocron. I pulled the Dimms out and reinstalled them in the opposite slots, problem solved. Again, weird.

At anyrate, Neocron stresses a lot of your system and if you have a marginal component, NC will find it. :D

If you have extra stuff laying around, try swapping them out and see if you still crash.

Mechanicus
02-07-05, 01:36
i just swapped from onboard sound to an audigy 2, can you go into more detail about that, the funny sound it makes before it crashes could well be a hint its something soundwise and it does only crash in specific situations (swampcaves or oppwars), how did you fix it etc etc

thx

Jesterthegreat
02-07-05, 01:58
Then it started happening with WoW

while i realise this is totally off topic... didnt we always say the devs are off playing other MMO's? :p

Mechanicus
02-07-05, 03:50
rofl!
odin was going undercover :p

Dirus
03-07-05, 03:25
I've always had issues with Creative soundcards, after I finally tossed my Live! 5.1 and got a motherboard with onboard sound my crashes have decreased in just about anything that uses sound. :/

Neocron uses/used older DirectX 7 sound protocols, so at times the channels would get mixed. PSI was always one that caused the issue.

while i realise this is totally off topic... didnt we always say the devs are off playing other MMO's? :pYour saying just because you work for a company that makes a game you have to play only that game?

Guess I should uninstall all my other games then.. Heaven forbid we'd actually be able to work and play other games within a 24hr time period..

Jesterthegreat
03-07-05, 09:24
Your saying just because you work for a company that makes a game you have to play only that game?

Guess I should uninstall all my other games then.. Heaven forbid we'd actually be able to work and play other games within a 24hr time period..

lupus my old chum... thats not what i said at all.

it may be what you feel was implyed by what i said... but its certainly not what i said.

imper1um
03-07-05, 13:46
I can't use SP2 because it fucks up Neocron and every other game. SP2 not for teh win!

LTA
03-07-05, 14:45
Guess I should uninstall all my other games then.. Heaven forbid we'd actually be able to work and play other games within a 24hr time period..I know ya want to play games just dont think it's very uplifting to hear on the public forum that the Devs of one MMORPG are playing another MMORPG not saying you can't or nothing just dont think you should advertise it under your dev names if u can see where i am coming from.

Nidhogg
03-07-05, 14:49
We would be lacking if we didn't investigate what our competitors are up to. Think of it as research.

N

LTA
03-07-05, 14:55
We would be lacking if we didn't investigate what our competitors are up to. Think of it as research.

NI would if i knew what your reseach is telling you about your mmo compared to others... apart from the obvious stats n that the big names would expect to have.

THE_TICK!!!!
03-07-05, 15:30
hey nid, if reactor will pay me ill be an OFFICIAL researcher for them :)...wow think of the possibility'shttp://neocron2.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/biggrin.gif

Rob01m
03-07-05, 18:02
I can't use SP2 because it fucks up Neocron and every other game. SP2 not for teh win!

What other games do you have issues with SP2 over?

I too reverted to SP1 for Neocron, but I didn't have to for other games/software.

hegemon
04-07-05, 00:23

N

Imagine how it would be to work in a beer factory.

" - Why are you drunk?
- Reeschearch, shir... *hick*"