PDA

View Full Version : Construction/Research Time

MisterP
29-06-05, 17:00
Research and construction time should be a lot shorter!!
Its simply a time sink. It makes it boring, but prolongs gameplay - hence more money to the company.
But on the other side of the coin more people might play if there were more tradeskillers, and daily running was easy to, well, run! ;)

Poll to see what people think.

Based on this thread: Here (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=126454)

Jesterthegreat
29-06-05, 17:19
it's fine. adds to the suspence.

andbefore anyone screams that i'm not a tradeskiller, and hate all tradeskillers, and wanna fuck them over... ask what kinda char NC Junkie was on Uranus. i was a researcher for over a year, and a constructor for a few months after that.

MisterP
29-06-05, 19:53
But now ur never in the game and always on the forum... is that where trade skilling drove you :lol:

enigma_b17
29-06-05, 19:57
decrease it yes, its just a stupid timesink, although dont make it too fast or making money wont be something to be proud of :/

MisterP
29-06-05, 20:04
Yea
I would say a 50% decrease would be sensible

I mean, who wants to stand there and click start/stop all the time. My goodness

Jesterthegreat
29-06-05, 20:41
Yea
I would say a 50% decrease would be sensible

I mean, who wants to stand there and click start/stop all the time. My goodness

if you dont like tradeskilling why do it? you are making a gun out of weapon parts or rare parts... its not gonna happen instantly.

same with researching. you are studying it to find out what it is (rare) or writing down complex instructions on how to make a new one (BP)

if you dont want to "click start/stop all the time) i suggest a combat class.

MisterP
29-06-05, 22:14
Yea, but Jester. Why do I have to study it n+1 times? Surely after the 1st time, I can make it miles quicker the 2nd.

As in: Production line, not hand made.

Jesterthegreat
29-06-05, 23:14
because it isnt a production line is it.

it is hand made.

oh and btw about your sigs... thats a representation of the percent who voted, of the percent who read the thread, of the percent who are english speakers, of the percent who read the forums... or something like that. not the percent of the community.

hegemon
30-06-05, 01:00
Construction and research time should be much, much longer (up to 10-15 minutes for some things) so that people will be too bored to do their own tradeskilling and leave the problem to the professionals.

Riddle
30-06-05, 01:02
Construction and research time should be much, much longer (up to 10-15 minutes for some things) so that people will be too bored to do their own tradeskilling and leave the problem to the professionals.

WTF!

I tradeskill a fair bit but if i logged on could build like 4 things in 1 hour It would cost you like 500k for a fucking TL3 heal. That's way to excessive.

Even the professionals wouldn't bother

Omnituens
30-06-05, 01:29
i used to love tradeskilling

until NC2 came along and royally boned it.

hegemon
30-06-05, 07:56
WTF!

I tradeskill a fair bit but if i logged on could build like 4 things in 1 hour It would cost you like 500k for a fucking TL3 heal. That's way to excessive.

"up to" "for some things". Read the fucking qualifiers. Of course, you had to take them literally and translate that into 4 things per hour.

Why shouldn't a good tl3 heal cost a lot? Right now it doesn't cost anything becaue it's impossible to buy unless you ask a clan mate or have your own tradeskiller. Which is better? No tradeskillers, or high prices?

Riddle
30-06-05, 10:49
"up to" "for some things". Read the fucking qualifiers. Of course, you had to take them literally and translate that into 4 things per hour.

Why shouldn't a good tl3 heal cost a lot? Right now it doesn't cost anything becaue it's impossible to buy unless you ask a clan mate or have your own tradeskiller. Which is better? No tradeskillers, or high prices?

Personally never thought there was a problem with CST/RES just the fact there is no one on the fucking servers!

In NC1 i used hang out trade loads in P2 du to the fact loads of people constantly wanting things made. Kept me busy , chit chat bit of banter some dealing all good.

Now stand in TH for fucking what? The odd person who wants a chip built from a HN cube?

As for you qualifiers i still say NO to 10-15 mins for anything talk about more fucking boredom

bounty
30-06-05, 10:57
HOW ABOUT: shorten it as you put more points into the skill. Makes sense to me.

zii
30-06-05, 20:12
HOW ABOUT: shorten it as you put more points into the skill. Makes sense to me.

I thought it did anyway, on some items at least. Oh, I have few jobs these days so maybe I've forgotten.

Tostino
30-06-05, 20:20
You should be shot for that comment :p (just kidding ;)).
I do think that they need to reduce the time by atleast 30% and at most 50%. That would make it so you don't feel like riping your eyes out when making large batches of highish TL guns/spells.

[TgR]KILLER
30-06-05, 20:28
dispite what everybody else says.. i don't have a problem with the time. and yes i got a cster. only way the time starts to bug is when you make big ass batches and most of the time they are just to make profit and for profit you should work :p

not that i use my cster as much cause last few times i logged in i was standing in th or wereever 30 min even casting a advert on trade channels and still just get 3 rep jobs and 0 cst so i gave up. the waiting for something is the time sink.

people always complain there aint tradeskillers but when i login and don't find anybody that needs stuff well i aint gonna sit around for 5 hours for 1 guy to maybe show up.

hegemon
30-06-05, 23:14
That would make it so you don't feel like riping your eyes out when making large batches of highish TL guns/spells.

Which is exactly why noone pays enough for consters and ressers because it's not a huge problem and they can do it themselves on their own tradeskiller. And those who don't have an own tradeskiller just simply have to wait for a few days sometimes to get one.

I don't care, I have a hybrid res/cst that makes very good rares repairs everything, drives a rhino, recycles, etc. But it would be better for the in-game economy if I could lom him to something else and buy my tradeskilling. I won't though, until:
- there are tradeskillers at least 90% of the time in TH
- people actually make batches of spells and other things you might need so
I don't have to wait for someone to make them, but they have them ready.

It won't happen as long as tradeskilling is something that is easier to do yourself than to buy.

Omnituens
01-07-05, 09:24
i just wish tradeskilling had some skill to it, like hacking. the user actaully has to do something to influnce stats. that way good tradeskillers are actually skilled, not lucky.

Jesterthegreat
01-07-05, 19:19
Which is exactly why noone pays enough for consters and ressers because it's not a huge problem and they can do it themselves on their own tradeskiller. And those who don't have an own tradeskiller just simply have to wait for a few days sometimes to get one.

I don't care, I have a hybrid res/cst that makes very good rares repairs everything, drives a rhino, recycles, etc. But it would be better for the in-game economy if I could lom him to something else and buy my tradeskilling. I won't though, until:
- there are tradeskillers at least 90% of the time in TH
- people actually make batches of spells and other things you might need so
I don't have to wait for someone to make them, but they have them ready.

It won't happen as long as tradeskilling is something that is easier to do yourself than to buy.

no.

this game relies on PC tradeskillers... but there just isnt the pop to support it. if nc had a decent pop, it would work well.

ease has nothing to do with it. if you find clicking start every so often hard... well... i wouldnt advise any games with more buttons than a gameboy game.

hegemon
03-07-05, 02:44
no.

this game relies on PC tradeskillers... but there just isnt the pop to support it. if nc had a decent pop, it would work well.

ease has nothing to do with it. if you find clicking start every so often hard... well... i wouldnt advise any games with more buttons than a gameboy game.

Erm? "no" to what?

I think you're protesting against something here (the "no" would imply that), but I really can't see any correlation between what you're saying and what I said.

I agree. PC tradeskillers are good. That's what I'm saying. There must be an incentive to make tradeskilling viable. Right now it's not mostly because everyone is tipping shit and whoever needs real tradeskilling (ressing rare parts, building 100 holy heals, etc.) already has an own tradeskiller because there aren't any tradeskillers around (notice the positive feedback loop here). By making tradeskilling harder (it's possible to do in many ways, making it slower, thus more boring is one of them and possibly the easiest one to implement), the cost (where cost is not just the financial burden, but also time, boredom, etc.) of "personal" tradeskilling is raised leading to higher willingness to pay for tradeskilling, more tradeskillers (who come for the money), higher availability of tradeskillers, which in turn leads to a lower need for "personal" tradeskilling, and even more real tradeskillers (as all positive feedback loops, this one goes both ways).

Sure, low populations are part of the problem. But one of the reasons why populations are low is because it's so damned tedious to play Neocron for noobs, one of the reasons being the lack of tradeskillers. Even here there is a feedback loop (few tradeskiller -> long waits -> more boredom -> less fun -> less customers) that needs to be broken.

As I said. Personally, I don't care. My own tradeskiller is perfect right now. But you might view this from the perspective of the noob (assuming the noob isn't insane and tries to level up a pure tradeskiller, in which case making it slower is a really bad idea).

There. Is it clear enough or will there be any deliberate misunerstandings again?

Asurmen Spec Op
03-07-05, 03:04
I dont think that less time for tradeskilling would effect how many tradeskillers are on in TH, mostly for a few reasons
1) easier to do it yourself
2) the raeson I dont- Most the time the higher lvl jobs I rarely get paid for
3) To many people have their own traders, so they wont use others

IceStorm
03-07-05, 04:28
I wouldn't mind Research Time more closely mirroring Construction Time. My 135 Res, 145 Cst Spy bulids low to mid-range TL items instantaneously. He can't research anything instantaneously, though. He has 109 INT and 115 DEX, with a +5 to the relevant skill when using the associated glove.

eprodigy
03-07-05, 06:19
who the fuck cares all thats left is login and shoot people anymore.. just make NPCs that are capped consters... i hate new players they lag plaza up for people trying to kill allies (saw like 12 le's in plaza2 the other day pissed me off) i cursed them out good :P

Case23
03-07-05, 09:05
*vote for 15min*

i think it would make it harder / more interesting to get even normal items with 5 slots (i am conster myself)

Jesterthegreat
03-07-05, 09:48
"no" because the timing is immaterial. the tradeskill system in this game (along with the item distribution system) rely on the game having a much larger playerbase than it actually does. whats wrong with tradeskilling is that not enough people want it. because not alot of people want it tradeskillers are unwilling to sit around in TH doing nothing all day.

the "no" is saying changing the cst / res time wont change shit.

plz try to understand.

msdong
03-07-05, 10:30
me, as a 50% tradeskiller player, i dont think they are to long. when i se how fast weapons are constructed - i cant see how this should be faster.
on construction skilll = speed

research is a nother thing. researching times are painfully long. but i still think it should get lowerd. TL150 qubes in 5 sec ? oh come on, you wanna kill the last allmost fulltime traders on a 4 char server?

im in for every idea that makes the game need more traders.

this idea is as good as removing the commander from MC5 and put the Rarepart in a box at the entrance.

3) To many people have their own traders, so they wont use others

thats the biggest prob on terra. private traders that do no public service.

Nidhogg
03-07-05, 12:16
i hate new players they lag plaza up for people trying to kill allies (saw like 12 le's in plaza2 the other day pissed me off) i cursed them out good :P
That's very public spirited of you. :rolleyes:

N

hegemon
03-07-05, 14:00
the "no" is saying changing the cst / res time wont change shit.

plz try to understand.

Ah. I understand. Not sure if I agree, but I grok what you're saying.

eprodigy
03-07-05, 18:45
That's very public spirited of you. :rolleyes:

N
im glad you approve