PDA

View Full Version : Necron Today.

NestorPL
29-06-05, 01:47
Avast ye!

I've been 'following' neocron from nc1 beta, where it was one of the first mmo's out there, and quite fresh after system shock2.

I must admit i never played nc1 in retail, due to finacial/network reasons, but few of my friends had played so i heard this and that. Then there was beta of neocron '2' on a 'new engine' and whatnot.

Both betas were very fine, everything sci fi, people running around, advertising pokes, CST's of stuff with various TL and other things. Neocron was guzzling with life, crowded medicare plaza, crytons upstairs, a&w plaza 3. You could go to all these places to meet people, get something done or sell something. Aggie cellar in plaza was full of people exping, you could see some inhabitants of neocron.

Today.
I got kinda bored with eve online and wow and decided to go back to the 'roots' and check how the only real Cyberpunk MMO lives. Friend advised me to make a droner and then LOM it for the sniper spy - ok. I never liked levelling in neocron because it was extremely boring running through sewers with a crowbar (hl2 anyone?) or pistol and shoot rats.
So ok, i run to the aggie cellar with my swarm of drones and level at high speed, great. Game still has the same mood as always, big city, commercials through comms, and other things. Graphics may not be 2005'ish, but they to their job and you can get the feeling of the game. At one point i get a bit bored with the drones and invest some point in the guns to shoot around and maybe get some str/sta (still have 2/4 with 40 dex).
I run back to plaza 3, get my fav a&w companion rifle. Ok, we gotta make this baby slotted and pack some punch.. er.. gonna find a construct guy.

So i run around city looking for people, and then it stuns me. Neocron is empty. I havent noticed it as much earlier while running to via3 and back with new drones.

Its empty, desolate, lifeless.

Where are all those people making trade in medicare square. Where are the runners, crowds at yo's, people trying to PK you at NCPD doorstep - i ask on HELP channel.
"Dude, go TH, there's nothing to see anymore in the city"
Right. In my whole nubiness i forgot to activate GR at military base so it means that more or less i will have to run back to Tech Haven on foot. I admit - i never was there. All my gametime was neocron city, outzone, industrial. Mostly because my ncr1 copy was bugged and crashed each time i tried to get to the outzone. In nc2 beta after levelling i bit i thought i'll go exploring and i ran from NCR to DOY on foot. Took me around 2h, almost died few times, and eventually died somewhere around doy while zoning on top of a sentry gun.. :rolleyes: That left me a really bitter feeling of the game. Zoning is bad.

Nevertheless. I pop up the map - anti cityadmin 99% of world, pro city admin 1 outpost. Hrrr. Ok, i was never into politics, clanwars, actual rp or lore of the game but something is utterly wrong here. Everyone emigrated from the city, which is a really great place, to some desolate wasteland, and live their lives struggling in fights.

The point of this thread is - what really caused this shift of powers? Why did people leave? Where there are almost no noobs around the city, where's the life? I dont mind exploring, but i'd like to stay in the city for a bit, and lack of other players makes this stay tedious and lonely.. not mentioning lack of access to supplies, pokes, cst's and whatnot.

Your opinions?

(ps. how much does it cost to convert from trial to full nc2, and how much is monthly fee? i couldnt find those numbers anywhere on neocron.com :P)

eprodigy
29-06-05, 02:03
pretty much how I feel.

Ever since NC2 started, which is when the ctiies became anarchy zones where you can draw weapons, plaza has slowly become emptier and emptier because now you cant stand there for 5 seconds unbuffed without being killed by an ally (or occasionaly a raiding enemy). At this point raids and ally killing is almost dead there as well since theres no one to kill there anymore ;) So originally a lot of people left pro-cityadmin because of the ally killing but now both sides are full of ally killing (including big clans at war on the DOY side). There is a couple large active clans in procity still but theres a lot of pathetic stealing outposts back when everyone logs off kind of thing happening.

Neocron city has the best atmosphere in the game and the idea of turning it into an anarchy zone has created one big place for ally killing, so I am of the opinion it should be made safe again but of course the opinions of people who just play to login and shoot people and don't want a real MMORPG but CS will always whine about it so it wont happen.

Tech Haven is safe and neutral so it IS the place of tradeskilling but its sort of small area and bland monochromatic design is a bit dull and not nearly as good for a trading center.

You're right some work needs to be done to turn this back to a MMORPG insteaad of a shooter. But playing with the LE for leveling and sticking the places you can go safely is still work fine, it just lost something since then.

:angel:

ZoVoS
29-06-05, 02:48
dont get me wrong I LOVE nc2... but it has broken the population, now we dont live together, it feels all,,, well... wrong. the atmosphear has only suffered because the population has been split due to doy and nc breaking apart,

if we had more ppl u would never notice it, but at the moment, we dont have more ppl

and why is the map bias... simple. most of the realy big clans were already anti, so they were able to zurge early on, and because of that if u cant beat em join em, everybody hops on the anti city bandwaggon.

also the fact that the game is totaly bias to doy

also the fact that doy controles all the REALY GOOD high lvl lvling spots

ALSO because they hide behind a wall of jonny 5's

ALSO BECAUSE we have crappy para spamming copbots

ALSO BECAUSE basicaly doy is seen as the underdogs and the down n outs so ppl wana play the "baddass" side of the game,

i used to be tg back in the old days, now the games looking the way it is, i go CA inorder to be a tiny drop in a ocean of unbalanced numbers

Comie
29-06-05, 08:53
dont get me wrong I LOVE nc2... but it has broken the population, now we dont live together, it feels all,,, well... wrong. the atmosphear has only suffered because the population has been split due to doy and nc breaking apart,

if we had more ppl u would never notice it, but at the moment, we dont have more ppl

and why is the map bias... simple. most of the realy big clans were already anti, so they were able to zurge early on, and because of that if u cant beat em join em, everybody hops on the anti city bandwaggon.

also the fact that the game is totaly bias to doy

also the fact that doy controles all the REALY GOOD high lvl lvling spots

ALSO because they hide behind a wall of jonny 5's

ALSO BECAUSE we have crappy para spamming copbots

ALSO BECAUSE basicaly doy is seen as the underdogs and the down n outs so ppl wana play the "baddass" side of the game,

i used to be tg back in the old days, now the games looking the way it is, i go CA inorder to be a tiny drop in a ocean of unbalanced numbers

that and all the events and storyline is also bias towards DoY

Selendor
29-06-05, 10:51
Can't argue with that Zovos. Good summary.

Although on clan strength, we (pro city) are getting quite close to anti city strength at the moment. We shall see how it pans out if Anti City fight us clan to clan rather than city to city.

Original monk
29-06-05, 11:55
that and all the events and storyline is also bias towards DoY

not to mention decent levelingspots (as in places where you REALLY level ... chaoscaves and other places where you can barrel the fuck out of crawling critters for example)

|R@zor|
29-06-05, 11:59
Neocron being so empty is a shame, its one of the main reasons i hardly play anymore, i have'nt logged in for months.

If i do start playing a bit more i'll probably move my characters away from CM where they have been since early NC1, but i'll be going pro nc because DoY is just plain dull, i cant stand the place.

Comie
29-06-05, 12:10
not to mention decent levelingspots (as in places where you REALLY level ... chaoscaves and other places where you can barrel the fuck out of crawling critters for example)

and all the labs are up north too

Njall
29-06-05, 12:57
People wanted anarchy zone to make raids, fights, etc in Plaza. They wanted a city in a state of war.
Now they have it. But don't expect "innocents" tradeskillers to sit down in a place where they will be killed if they forget their buffs or drugs during 10 seconds.

I don't think so.
If we had more ppl, there would be more people in HQ or TH but not in Plaza or Viarosso.

Seven
29-06-05, 13:13
Timesinks and too much effort for a little reward = low pops.

RogerRamjet
29-06-05, 13:15
I always expected Viarosso to be left a safe zone, since its the "posh" area.

ZoVoS
29-06-05, 14:07
I always expected Viarosso to be left a safe zone, since its the "posh" area.

i thought it would be removed but there would be ye old copbots who shoot on a gun pull rather than at enemys, no guns atal like

Riddle
29-06-05, 14:09
Most people left to Anti city as it was new, trendy and due to allied Pking but a few of us remained :p

As a tradeskiller i miss the old Plaza get togethers :(

Most tradeskillers now end up in TH which is where most high end business is done however this leaves the noobs in game with a problem :( .

Where the hell is TH? What you mean OZ? Can I be bothered to run out there for this TL 5 item? OMG Fuck shit Lv 90 mob im 1/3??? stuff that!

Hence I tradeskill out of the city HQ's instead of the old Plaza due to the already mentioned allied pking but also to provide a service to the noobs in game. The odd rep to TH for big jobs but mainly the city.

Problem is tradeskillers are spread around the faction HQ's mainly due to the fact that when their not working for people they mostly run missions to fill the time earn some cash while watching trade channel.

The Idea of TH as a trade centre rock's for high end content but for a noob who hasn't even found the cellars yet its a bit too much.

MY APPROACH -

+Lose the job centre in Plaza and turn it into a tradecentre.

+Fix it so all trade missions could be collected and handed in there, so no loss of XP and cash :) allowing tradeskillers to all work from here.

+Give them a +5 skill bonus for being in the area will further attract tradeskillers

+ Supply weapon parts etc through there

+ Have a faction supply officer there soo we can obtain all Symph items without running back to HQ.

RADICAL APPROACH -

Reset to Safezones except PP

Comie
29-06-05, 14:12
or all runners get TH for free

Riddle
29-06-05, 14:24
or all runners get TH for free
Free rep? or already in your rep list?

Either way i think TH would be unabale to cope with all the extra influx of people round those Genreps :) would need to utilise either side which really doesn't happen at the moment.

Dribble Joy
29-06-05, 14:25
Fixing the SL/symp system would help with making the city more frequented.

Another problem is that there is simply no real need to go into Plaza or Via.
Mid lvl peeps might go somewhere to pick up a weapon from HEW to get it BPed, but other than that and a couple of epic NPCs, there is not really anything there that you can't get from an HQ.

I don't want NC becoming a safezone again, so in order to get people back in there, the causality of allied/neutral pking needs to be tightened (but not the capacity for it to happen) and reason to venture out of the HQs and apts is needed.

Comie
29-06-05, 14:47
Free rep? or already in your rep list?

Either way i think TH would be unabale to cope with all the extra influx of people round those Genreps :) would need to utilise either side which really doesn't happen at the moment.

already in your GR list

Riddle
29-06-05, 14:58
already in your GR list

K mate.
Just 4k to a noob is a lot of money so TH and back = 8k that would kinda suck. Not that I notice rep fees anymore there was a point when I did :p

Xylaz
29-06-05, 15:00
i'd just like to add that DoY is empty as well.
There are no noobs in this game - and those unfortunate brave ones are usually leaving soon after they experience same lack of life as the threadstarter.

NC as it stands right now exists only due to people who are addicted to this game and will pay for it forever regardless of how many more stupid things KK will do.

Comie
29-06-05, 15:01
K mate.
Just 4k to a noob is a lot of money so TH and back = 8k that would kinda suck. Not that I notice rep fees anymore there was a point when I did :p

then have rep fees akin to retrieving back pack fee's its like 100 ncr below rank 10 - then 500 at rank 20, 1000 at rank 30, 2000 at rank 40, and 4000 at rank 50+

Riddle
29-06-05, 15:02
then have rep fees akin to retrieving back pack fee's its like 100 ncr below rank 10 - then 500 at rank 20, 1000 at rank 30, 2000 at rank 40, and 4000 at rank 50+

Sounds good to me. Possibility of ever getting in game kinda like Player shops :rolleyes:

NestorPL
29-06-05, 15:14
I think the problem of NCR is the marketing. I knew about neocron, just because i heard about it back in nc1 beta when it was one of the few mmo's out there.

I havent seen any NCR ads through the net. Popular sites, MMORPG sites, funny sites.. anywhere. No rewieves, no hyping, nothing.

Every MMO needs the noobs to fuel the game and help each other.

After reading this thread i finaly realised why it says 'you have entered anarchy zone' while im in plaza. And why copbots arent going 'drop that weapon' when i run around with my knife.

I really want to stay in/around the city, but the game wont let me :| And running around alone is so dull.. :mad:

FarSight
29-06-05, 15:23
i think that there is more newbs from 2-3 days ... there was news on mmorpg.com bout new trial of NC2 .... there is much more asks on HELP than week ago ... i lifted 2 newbs (really nice ppls) to TH & MB today (one was b4 player i think and second was total new i think)

numb
29-06-05, 15:25
Or maybe have TH activated on your generep by default.

Or I think as someone else mentioned in another thread. Create a hovercab style system from NC to TH, seperate from the current one.

Original monk
29-06-05, 15:42
People wanted anarchy zone to make raids, fights, etc in Plaza. They wanted a city in a state of war.
Now they have it. But don't expect "innocents" tradeskillers to sit down in a place where they will be killed if they forget their buffs or drugs during 10 seconds.

raids ? besides the occasional stealther there arent alot of rais goin on ... its the same as safezones now ... the safezone restriction is now taken over by freezing guards and copbots ... whats there to raid lol ? crp is raidable yah .. PP3 yah ... MB exit ...

doy and neocroncity itself arent worth raiding ... i dont call camping the DRE HQ zoneline raiding ... in that 4 by 4 room .. when ya go further you get a bird for the cat cause youlle be instafreezed :/

onlything traders should look out for is the nibbish alliedPKers ... and even then i cant find em lol .. alliedPKers that is ... traders are in TH anyways :)

and comie ... 2 badly but yeah ... not alot of labs at the southern part of the map :/

edit: riddle .. playershops .. whats that ? :)