PDA

View Full Version : Universal Dog...freaky but cool!

sanityislost
28-06-05, 23:54
SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.
US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.

Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.

During the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.

"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.

Source Link (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15739502-13762,00.html)

Sounds kinda freaky but i like it! Would love to try it out myself >_<

SiL ..:..

LiL T
29-06-05, 00:03
If you were dead for 3 hours or more where would you go :confused:

sanityislost
29-06-05, 00:04
Prolly after all that....first place i would want to go is the pub :p

Tratos
29-06-05, 00:14
That... ...Is fucked up. O_o

Jesterthegreat
29-06-05, 00:31
killing people is "playing god" (no discussion of religion plz) but literally keeping someone in stasis then bringing them to life after they died is perfectly fine.

don't you wonder if science is the answer or the solution?

sanityislost
29-06-05, 00:50
killing people is "playing god" (no discussion of religion plz) but literally keeping someone in stasis then bringing them to life after they died is perfectly fine.

don't you wonder if science is the answer or the solution?

Well in my mind its abit of both since i dont have a religion i follow.
Science at one point will be able to cure death for good and once that
happens time wont really have any meaning because who would care about a few 100
years when you know you will never die. Tho myself i would rather die and then
wake up in a few 1000 years just to see whats changed

(Sorry if ive kinda lost the plot lol)

Spermy
29-06-05, 11:53
Fuck that for a laugh.

Gah! Will come back with the reasoned argument in a while - it's all here, i'm just a tad mortified at the moment.

Fuck that!

Scarus
29-06-05, 13:13
Tho myself i would rather die and then
wake up in a few 1000 years just to see whats changed

(Sorry if ive kinda lost the plot lol)

Futurama? :p

I worried when I read they had made 'zombie dogs' I got a little twinge or terror incase they had made the T-Virus. Thankfully it's more crygenics then zombification, with a sense of necromancing added in.

-Scarus

sanityislost
29-06-05, 13:36
Futurama? :p

Yep :D :D , Love that show! shame its all over tho :mad:

Morganth
29-06-05, 16:17
I thought the brained died if it was without oxygen for a certain amount of time? Surely if it does, their entire process will screw up?

Jesterthegreat
29-06-05, 16:46
if the brain is preserved then the lack of oxygen may not effect it.

the lack of oxygen must have a physical effect... if this method were to preserve the body and brain, then that effect may not take place.

Spermy
29-06-05, 17:13
Yeah - but coming back around, whats going to be going on inside thier head? In some case, brain failure can cause permanent damage, psychosis etc etc - some of which may not be able to be picked up in dogs due to the fact that they are entirely a subjective experience, for example, schizophrenia et al...

Tratos
29-06-05, 18:35
What is pretty fucked up is that it would feel like a 'short sleep' the ones where you get no energy but you just loose the length of time you spent sleeping in what seems to be pretty much a blink..... imagine that for a 30 year period i think youd be fucked up without brain damage.

LiL T
29-06-05, 19:51
Now with out going into religion too much I beleave people have souls a consciousness of being alive and knowing it and that when you die it continues. So I would be scared to have that done to me in fear of never waking up, like I said where would you go I did not mean ugh goto the pub, you would be dead and not exist in the world kind of freaky shit. Then again maybe thats the goal, to find out what happens :p its a nice thread though and it is off topic.

Jesterthegreat
29-06-05, 20:58
you can survive 3 minutes after drowning or whatever... which is the same "dead, but can comeback" kinda thing, but alot shorter.

would you want to be brought back after drowning?

LiL T
29-06-05, 21:45
you can survive 3 minutes after drowning or whatever... which is the same "dead, but can comeback" kinda thing, but alot shorter.

would you want to be brought back after drowning? Your lungs and heart may stop but in that case if you are brought back to life your brain was still active, in other words not dead just unconscious due to lack of oxygen.

I would want to be brought back after drowning I love life :)

Jesterthegreat
29-06-05, 21:52
ah so the brain is the key? its ok as long as the brain stays "alive" or active.

tbh not sure if i would want to be brought back from the dead period. if it's my time then it's my time. not in a religious way you understand... i just wouldnt want it to happen

:edit: the reason that they don't get brain damaged is because their neurons aren't dying. And their neurons aren't dying because they're not metabolizing, and thus needing oxygen. The brain is in hibernation, just like the rest of the body.

LiL T
29-06-05, 22:16
Yep once your body funtions stop working like your lungs, your heart will stop due to running out of supply then your brain will die which is the final stage of death. Unless you are shot in the head which is instant death, so after 3 mins of not being able to restart the heart they will pronouce your death as you would likely to have brain damage or brain dead and only able to live through a life support machine =/

If they could keep the brain from getting damage I guess they could do it but don't how that would effect a person.

Opar
01-07-05, 08:36
Stop being so scientific about shit. They know more than you. If they say it could happen on humans, it could.

So just sit back, and say "Coooooooool" :rolleyes:

Tidus_Origin
01-07-05, 08:59
So just sit back, and say "Coooooooool" :rolleyes:

Okay.

*sits back*
coooooooooool. :D

I worried when I read they had made 'zombie dogs' I got a little twinge or terror incase they had made the T-Virus.

Just wait until they start freezing/reviving the 8-foot, claw-armed, near-invincible bio-weapons of doom and destruction. Then you can say it's the T-Virus :)

Terayon
01-07-05, 09:07
Thats an awsome dog.... But is it as awsome as THIS?! (http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/funnypic610.htm)

Also i notice it didnt mention how many times they tried this on dogs and failed. I think
"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," is complete bs.

Tratos
01-07-05, 09:26
Thats an awsome dog.... But is it as awsome as THIS?! (http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/funnypic610.htm)

Also i notice it didnt mention how many times they tried this on dogs and failed. I think is complete bs.
WOW :eek: Thats pretty cool...

nobby
01-07-05, 11:57
If they would pay me a lot of money to kill me and attempt to bring me back to life I would take part...

I'd like to see what happens when I die...if i can see Heaven or a bright light...

ya know...

Scarus
01-07-05, 13:31
Just wait until they start freezing/reviving the 8-foot, claw-armed, near-invincible bio-weapons of doom and destruction. Then you can say it's the T-Virus :)/hides behind settee

I just realised I am no longer scared of zombies, probably due to shaun of the dead, but still.

I know what you mean nobby I would like to know what happens, though finding out first hand... well, could the body cope with that, if a consciousness does leave the body, how would it return?.. or would a different consciousness be returned... you'd be so pissed off if someone else stole your body!

Meh, I'm more having humerous speculations then scientific explanations, though I suppose it could save someones life should they not have a cure for a disease, but eventually create one in the future... so they could prolong their life until it was finished..

/shrugs

-Scarus

Jesterthegreat
01-07-05, 19:51
If they would pay me a lot of money to kill me I would take part...

i'm sure the money would be useful :rolleyes:

oh...

and...

as i said...

the reason that they don't get brain damaged is because their neurons aren't dying. And their neurons aren't dying because they're not metabolizing, and thus needing oxygen. The brain is in hibernation, just like the rest of the body.

nobby
04-07-05, 11:22
Don't edit the quote Jester, makes it look silly!