PDA

View Full Version : I've tried and tried

trigger hurt
26-06-05, 14:09
I can't do it though. The grind in neocron, while simple, is far too boring for me to relevel my characters. So, my spy and tank will forever remain the richest noobs on Terra.

It says alot when the grind of an MMO up to level 200, then an additional 20 levels from one expansion then an additional 30 from the last expanion is far more enjoyable and eventful than the grind in Neocron. It should also say alot that customers, there are more than one, that would prefer that grind to this one.

KK. You guys gotta get this sorted. Good start on the noobie missions, but there is far to vast a world out there that is wasted by the lack of content. Make more noob/mid-level/high level quests. Please!

CMaster
26-06-05, 14:15
Yea - quests and so on would be great. One thing to do though, is dont always level at the "most efficent" place. Head off to some of the more obsucre areas, just for the variety. That makes the levelling more tolerable.

LiL T
26-06-05, 14:20
Hunt warbots is what I do, its a bit slower but getting the parts is fun, I lvled my PE mainly through warbot hunting and fire mobs.

Infinite
26-06-05, 15:13
Most games are a gind though... thats all they are. Neocron is the pvp after the grin. (unless ur some odd person that likes hutning warbots on ur own for hours more than pvp :S )

Torg
26-06-05, 16:21
i hate quests and im happy you can play nc more or less without doing quests but exploring the world on you own.

CMaster
26-06-05, 16:26
I'm happy if you can carry on not needing quests or missions, but that the OPTION is there.

Mr Kot
26-06-05, 16:53
but that the OPTION is there.

Agreed. It's all about having an option. Some like PvP, some like to hunt alone, some like to do missions. Remember that guy in early retail who did all 12 epics in under a week? I personally do a bit of all 3, whatever i'm in the mood for at the time. Hell, some people like to do none of these, just sit in Tech Haven and chat. Whatever floats your boat. This is a social game, after all :)

Terkantia
26-06-05, 16:58
Just based on my experienece wtih MMO's, the grind here is far sompler than most others I ahve done. I ahven't played everyhtjing, but thenspeed with which one can advacne is fairly stout, barring INT/DEX 95-100 on spy and CON 94-100 on HC Tank.

=)

There are some options and variation on exp to be had ehre as well as various spots to hnut. That, I guess, is the part I appreciate the mot. I cna hunt poison/fire/WB, blah blah blah. Of, urn misions and get a lil ep & SL.

Or hit cyccrow CRP and drop ppl.

Nice variation really

[TgR]KILLER
26-06-05, 19:01
releveing aint that hard in nc tho -_- within a week you got any char to opwar level and some classes even capped. my ppu was op warring in a week and i din't go the apu lom ppu way.

releveling chars is always boring since you already did it once you know were go to and miss the whole experiance in it.

Darkana
26-06-05, 19:28
trigger hurt, you call bashing the same kind of stone over and over not boring? Same for the aliens ... do it too often and your fun is gone. Not to talk about the insane low droprate on certain items and the camping associated with it. Compared to NC it has way more content, which keeps you busy for some time, and much more diversity, not to talk about the complexity of the game system. But, in the end, it's a grind like in every other game. Once you played it for as long as you played Neocron you will go the straight route, too, and be bored of it (unless you stop at like 15 and twink the guts out of the poor char :D).

eprodigy
26-06-05, 20:40
i actually agree i just made a new account for nc2 and still only have 1 capped because ive leveled so so so many chars over the time in NC and just cannot stand to sit there and level another just the thought makes me sick..

its not so bad for an actualy noob though..

bounty
26-06-05, 20:50
I think seeing a bigger variety of high level mobs would help tremendously. There needs to be zones in the southwest and west zones that have high level mobs that give parts or other rewards that make hunting them worth it.

In sum, they should make leveling out in the wastelands a lot more rewarding. As of now, you only see people hunting in a small portion of this great nc world. When is the last time you ran into someone leveling in a zone near simmons? Or out in regeants legacy?

Riddle
26-06-05, 22:14
I hate quests after a while all your doing is running around Time Sinking. Much rather log on, go kill a few things. Although more variety of mobs would be nice its better than waiting around for group quests ;) if you know what i mean :rolleyes:

trigger hurt
27-06-05, 00:22
trigger hurt, you call bashing the same kind of stone over and over not boring? Same for the aliens ... do it too often and your fun is gone. Not to talk about the insane low droprate on certain items and the camping associated with it. Compared to NC it has way more content, which keeps you busy for some time, and much more diversity, not to talk about the complexity of the game system. But, in the end, it's a grind like in every other game. Once you played it for as long as you played Neocron you will go the straight route, too, and be bored of it (unless you stop at like 15 and twink the guts out of the poor char :D).

If you can't find a place to level that doesn't deal with brink mobs or hecklers, it's your own fault. I'm saving myself the trouble, because when I need faction, hecklers it will be. I've already twinked a lvl 30 soldier for tower wars.

On the same token, there is far more variety of mob in AO than there ever was or will be in Neocron. I think a couple of you need to scroll up and reread what I said. Eh, I'll quote it here for you.

It says alot when the grind of an MMO up to level 200, then an additional 20 levels from one expansion then an additional 30 from the last expanion is far more enjoyable and eventful than the grind in Neocron. It should also say alot that customers, there are more than one, that would prefer that grind to this one.

I'm pretty sure I just said it's a grind. But my point is, the longest grind in the comparison is far more enjoyable than the simple, short grind of neocron.

@Cmaster. Bro, I've played this game for a long time. For the most part of it, I've been either TG or Black Dragon. For a while, on saturn, my clan owned the entire map, wasn't a problem finding a place to level in the typical spots, but I never leveled at Cycrow or CRP or Catlock. Out of the char's I had, 3 may have done a cave run or two for the last bit of dex or int they needed. I know several good zones to go hunt in for xp.

What you are missing though is that they are the same mobs, over and over. Or, they are the same models with different names. I'm tired of that. It's why the grind is boring to me even though it's much simpler and much shorter than most other mmo grinds out there.

trigger hurt
27-06-05, 00:29
I think seeing a bigger variety of high level mobs would help tremendously. There needs to be zones in the southwest and west zones that have high level mobs that give parts or other rewards that make hunting them worth it.

In sum, they should make leveling out in the wastelands a lot more rewarding. As of now, you only see people hunting in a small portion of this great nc world. When is the last time you ran into someone leveling in a zone near simmons? Or out in regeants legacy?

that's my only real beef with NC. I've tolerated the crashes and bugs and syncs for almost 3 years. If that was the issue, I would have stopped playing a long time ago. But cruise over to Old Greycore outpost or some of the southernmost zones in the wastes and all you'll find is spiders. The wastelands are supposed to be a vast, threatening territory just outside the gates of "civilization". But when tagging gr's, I can go afk on autowalk for quite a while without worry. That just should not be.

Dr Strange
27-06-05, 00:51
I don't mind the grind at all

What I want, aside from technical fixes first, is high end content. The Doy/Pro epic mission was a nice "start" but you get the same reward. Make more high end quests like that, or just high end content, like a new Neofrag type thing for players of a certain level (or better yet open Wargames in DoY...), maybe some new things to do with vehicles like an actual racetrack that starts and stops races and allows betting.

So on and so forth..

Darkana
27-06-05, 09:30
trigger hurt, we should talk about this in 2 or 3 years, after you played AO as long as you did NC. Maybe the content in AO will keep you busy for a bit longer, but there is a point in every game, where you just did most of the things, and can't be bothered to do the few remaining ones. Funcom counters this by throwing a new expansion on the market, each of them adding a bulk of new things to do, new mobs, new items, etc.

After having played NC for such long, nobody really expects you to do something which you haven't done before, because you "exhausted" NC. NC's content can't compare to what AO or some other MMORPGs offer. Sure, NC needs more content, but don't expect it to come overnight nor to have all the possibilities like you have in AO (and other games).

To sum it up: Yes, NC lacks content. No, I don't see what your real problem is :p

PS: Try to play AO without the expansions and you will soon see the same things happening as in NC. It's the expansions, which fill in these holes.

numb
27-06-05, 10:19
I played AO for a long time, before the expansion one of the biggest flaws in my opinion was the lack of different types of mobs over and over again. Maybe you are fooled by the fact the mob you are shooting in twenty levels from now, may have the same model and do exactly the same type of damage but because it has a different name it's a different mob?

IMO the best thing they added to the game was all the new static dungeons (like subway etc), because randomly generated missions are just boring (I think that's true even with the new mission system). I cant face the levelling grind in AO again, even with the expansions and even if it is about 100x easier now than it was before.

The grind in NC is much shorter and you can break it up with PvP practically anywhere.

Another good thing about NC compared to AO is that you can solo at high levels (I was doing ql135 missions with my adventurer when he was 100 or 105 or something and it took 3 or so missions solo to get a level!). This means less time hanging around for a team and less of the 'we need a doctor' business, which is incredibly boring.

Selendor
27-06-05, 12:46
I've grinded my 4 characters up mostly un-grouped. And while it is most certainly a terrible bore, and is really only a means to an end (pvp and op wars), I can see how people who like to collect tech parts could enjoy levelling warbots or fire mobs.

Collecting parts and then trading them, then getting your rare made with chance of slots is good fun.

Soloing the swamp caves as I did with my apu a long time ago though, now that was boring, I fell asleep at the keyboard more than once ;)

Asatru
27-06-05, 19:24
Most games are a gind though... thats all they are. Neocron is the pvp after the grin. (unless ur some odd person that likes hutning warbots on ur own for hours more than pvp :S )

:) well i happen to be one, got a HC PE who drives a Assault Skorp Trike, make outa Warbot a snap and loads of fun(ie. love collecting rare parts, got like 4 full cabs of unressed rares atm ), but i have been getting into pvp more and more, i kind of suck at it atm :P

trigger hurt
28-06-05, 01:04
trigger hurt, we should talk about this in 2 or 3 years, after you played AO as long as you did NC. Maybe the content in AO will keep you busy for a bit longer, but there is a point in every game, where you just did most of the things, and can't be bothered to do the few remaining ones. Funcom counters this by throwing a new expansion on the market, each of them adding a bulk of new things to do, new mobs, new items, etc.

After having played NC for such long, nobody really expects you to do something which you haven't done before, because you "exhausted" NC. NC's content can't compare to what AO or some other MMORPGs offer. Sure, NC needs more content, but don't expect it to come overnight nor to have all the possibilities like you have in AO (and other games).

To sum it up: Yes, NC lacks content. No, I don't see what your real problem is :p

PS: Try to play AO without the expansions and you will soon see the same things happening as in NC. It's the expansions, which fill in these holes.

No, we won't need to talk about it in 2 or 3 years. You are missing the point entirely. Two games, both of which have been about for pretty close to the same amount of time. One is highly developed. Still has some bugs, yes. Still has some imbalances in pvp, yes...but has a shitload of content. The other, is this game. Has tons of bugs. Has tons of lag in zones with no people in it. And still has no content.

I played AO expansionless, on a froob account for 5 months, leveled a character to 160 before I even upgraded. I have seen the renamed mobs and reused models. Those don't change the fact that the game has far more content.

I played AO for a long time, before the expansion one of the biggest flaws in my opinion was the lack of different types of mobs over and over again. Maybe you are fooled by the fact the mob you are shooting in twenty levels from now, may have the same model and do exactly the same type of damage but because it has a different name it's a different mob?

If you've played AO for a long time before the expansions, then you haven't played AO in quite a long time. There's been 3 expansions since you played. An addition of a lot more mobs to grind on. An addition of a lot of new quests. Overall, an addition of a lot more content. The storyline develops on almost a daily basis and progresses to a point that FunCom wants to get to. Here, we get a random update from the story guy. Most of the time, it's used it to give an RP reason for bugs in their game.

Dr Strange
28-06-05, 02:03
uh, am I the only one that sees the same mobs in NC?

Related topic, but I mean, compare Sewers Level 1 to Chaos Caves, it's the same damn mob just higher in level. I don't personally mind, but AO isn't the only MMO that reuses models and skins for different mobs, most MMO's do. It's just impractical to create unique models and skins for over 100+ mobs (though we as players wish they would obviously).

Lifewaster
28-06-05, 02:28
.... The wastelands are supposed to be a vast, threatening territory just outside the gates of "civilization". But when tagging gr's, I can go afk on autowalk for quite a while without worry. That just should not be.

I think the LE chip is the problem. If your char can poke, and you have a LE, then theres absolutely no risk to going anywhere or doing anything. Half the time you even end up using self_kill for fast trips back or forth....

Theres plenty to be scared of and worried about in neocron but the majority of it is provided by other players , so the LE chip kinda dulls it all down when your threat factor is limited to npc mobs and your loss upon death is limited to 5 minutes of synaptic impairment.....

How to satisfy both camps le and non-le ? I doubt it can be done , the PvPers I think wouldn't be very happy with a ton of additional high-threat mobs wandering about getting in the way of PvP all over the wastelands....

I suppose they could implement belt drops for LE to make things a bit more daunting.

numb
28-06-05, 11:11
If you've played AO for a long time before the expansions, then you haven't played AO in quite a long time. There's been 3 expansions since you played. An addition of a lot more mobs to grind on. An addition of a lot of new quests. Overall, an addition of a lot more content. The storyline develops on almost a daily basis and progresses to a point that FunCom wants to get to. Here, we get a random update from the story guy. Most of the time, it's used it to give an RP reason for bugs in their game.

I have all 3 expansions and currently an active subscription (I have the preorder items for shadowlands and alien invasion too!). I spent about 2 months trying out Shadowlands, it is okay, but it's a lot of the same mobs over and over again (and some of them are mobs taken from the original AO with slightly nicer textures) and the fastest way to level (at least up to 200) is back on Rubi Ka doing the statics and missions (which do get tedious once you've done them a few times).

I bought notum wars after joining an organisation who did PvP. Thing is, I'd tried PvP before in AO and it doesnt even begin to make a scratch on what we get in Neocron.

To be honest I havent played much of Alien Invasion. When I last played it needed high levels (200+) to do the alien hunting (outside of the great new startup area), and you are best off being a large guild. You couldnt even enter buildings in another guilds town unless you belonged in that guild. I dont have time to commit to a guild. These days I only play mmorpgs for a couple of hours a day maximum, I have too much else going on in my life (although when I played AO properly it was pretty much all the time until late hours of the night/early morning).

Believe me after a while you will do all the quests, use all the items, realise that even though there are content patches, not much really changes (besides when they put in statics). You are still doing practically the same thing each time to kill a mob (same as NC/any other mmorpg) and after you've tried all the classes, it all becomes a pointless grind (tab then q, then specials, then specials, then heal, then specials etc etc not that much to it really!).

I find the quests in AO are not really based on the game storyline as much as the neocron ones (which there are few!), which actually made the neocron ones much more immersive for me, unfortunately all the epics I've done since NC2 have made absolutely no sense (you are never sure which part of the text is the incorrect bit!) and sent me on either wild goose chases or left me bothering people on help over and over.

sultana
28-06-05, 11:51
I think the LE chip is the problem. If your char can poke, and you have a LE, then theres absolutely no risk to going anywhere or doing anything. Half the time you even end up using self_kill for fast trips back or forth....

Theres plenty to be scared of and worried about in neocron but the majority of it is provided by other players , so the LE chip kinda dulls it all down when your threat factor is limited to npc mobs and your loss upon death is limited to 5 minutes of synaptic impairment....
If you remove the le chip, you'll kill off even more of the population.

The le chip is needed in Neocron. Especially with the current state of faction symp/soulight issues. Personally, I never used a le chip in neocron 1. That's because I didn't need to, most people didn't kill their own allies (the new faction system and city changed this). Whereas now I probably would, because in the odd chance that I actually find someone who's allied to me, they'd probably pk me.

Nullvoid
28-06-05, 12:42
The levelling is only a grind if that is all you do, trying to get your char near cap to be pvp ready in the shortest time possible. With my first char(a ppu), I just went hunting in all the various locations of the game, had enough research to do techparts and within a month and a half I hadn't been bored once. I earned loads of cash for ressing peoples techparts and had fully capped my char apart from having about 32dex(did I mention he used the tl 42 glare pistol?) and 98int. No powerlevelling involved, and thus no grind.

Isn't it true that the game is as interesting as you decide to make it?

CMaster
28-06-05, 12:45
The levelling is only a grind if that is all you do, trying to get your char near cap to be pvp ready in the shortest time possible. With my first char(a ppu), I just went hunting in all the various locations of the game, had enough research to do techparts and within a month and a half I hadn't been bored once, earned loads of cash for ressing peoples techparts and had fully capped my char apart from having about 21dex and 98int. No powerlevelling involved, and thus no grind.

Basically what I was saying elsewhere.

Nullvoid
28-06-05, 12:50
I guess that might require a touch more patience than some of our community would appear to possess :p

numb
28-06-05, 13:05

That is absolutely true. In AO, I was bored to hell of missions and so was another friend of mine, he was actually about to quit, but I suggested we rerolled and played the whole game only by hunting outdoors. It's loads harder than missions, the mobs hit harder, and the risks of dying are far greater. That was great and I was actually having fun, then my mate had to leave - and it was an impossible task to find someone willing to get a little less XP and taking some higher risks to get it (this was about level 120). Most AO players are only interested in getting as much XP as quickly as possible, with 220 odd levels that's basically what the game is all about. So soon after that I quit playing, I didnt want to get back on the mob conveyor belt, which is the mission system of AO and soloing at that level isnt that great an option.