PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Cycrow Redesign

Morganth
23-06-05, 13:39
Right, I was bored so I decided to redesign Cycrow using ideas that many people in the community have put forward. I won't name who's ideas they were, because I am not entirely sure myself, however I am not claiming them to be my own. I am just applying them to how I think a real outpost should be, as it may combat ninjaing but at the same time make outposts more than just a hackscreen. All of the concepts below can be applied to other outposts, but I'd like to see people's views before I start on another :p

The edited images (yes I know they are crap) are attached below, so it would probably help if you referred to them whilst reading through, otherwise you'll just think I'm mad :p I've also posted my thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of my ideas, so that I can at least get a go of flaming myself :lol:

The Outpost
Area of outpost increased (although it may be a little too spacious in mine, so it could be shrunk a little)
Outpost is classed as a key outpost, which allows it to have a larger number of paid guards, but with a higher upkeep cost. There would only be a few of these on the map, so that not every OP becomes a fortress :rolleyes:
Security Features added (see below)
Buildings rearranged (see below)
Hack Sequence Altered (see below)

Security Features
The gaps in the sexy green walls indicate entrances, possibly with gates that require hacking to get into (and cost to be setup). Or once open, the gates would stay open until say an hour after the 4th hack is complete, so that whoever lost the OP has a chance to come back before the new owners can refortify the OP.
The red dots on the attached picture indicate possible locations of guards. These guards would have to be paid for out of the clan bank, and have a daily upkeep cost otherwise they despawn. They would only need to be 60/60 guards (Trader Union probably) that are controlled by the OPs security settings, but hard enough that they present a threat to attackers and can't be levelled off of. The guards should also have their aggro range shorten for things above them, allowing people to fly in and drop the attackers in the outpost and attack from within.
Turrets, guards, gates and other security measures are controlled by the Security Point (labelled 1 on the other picture). The Security Point is regarded as the second hack for taking an outpost, once hacked, the respawn timers on dead guards will be increased sufficiently to make a difference and turrets can not be placed after the 2nd hack is complete. However, if you hack the terminal before the 1st layer is down, all security measures are disabled for 5 mins while the systems reconfigures (this means guards won't respawn in this time, turrets stop attacking, and the gates are opened).
If any security measure is either hacked or destroyed (whichever is relevant to its type), a notice is shouted on the owning clan's chat. If one of the guards aggros onto someone/thing, then it will only announce a problem if it gets killed by a player (so you can have a spy stealth in, disable the security and allow people to get in).

Cycrow's Establishments
Refer to the attached picture please :)
Building 1 : The Security Point, as explained above
Building 2: The Hack Room, we should all know what this is by now
Building 3: The UG, much firmer model that doesn't allow for clipping, or for people to pass behind it. Placed out more in the open to allow the defenders more room to manouver past AoE when they zone up.
Building 4: The GoGo, because I don't like running across the OP to get to it :p
Building 5: YO's, see Building 2 :D
Building 6: That random building that is currently next to the UG needs a home. This will need clipping reinforcement to stop people sliding through it.

The Hack Sequence
Layer 1 : This occurs at the hack term, and allows full access to the security point.
Layer 2 : The Security Point must be hacked in order to allow for the security of the outpost to be borked enough for the 3rd layer to be accessible.
Layer 3 : This is done at the hack term again, and allows access to the hack net layer by disabling any local security.
Layer 4 : This is the final hack, and is completed by tapping the outposts lecturn inside HN

Advantages
By allowing for certain OPs to get the "key" status with increased security, it gives larger clans a target, and allows smaller clans to focus on outposts with less security which they can attack with smaller numbers. The idea behind this is that minor outposts are fought over for between smaller clans and the larger key outposts are fought over by the larger clans. This way everyone gets a chance at OP fighting.
The added security of Cycrow (and other key outposts) will mean that it can't be as easily ninja'd (i.e. you'll need more than just 4 hackers to get past the guards). However, a zerg won't have much difficulty.
The increased cost on maintaining a key outpost at its full and rightful potential will mean a clan is less likely to take the attitude that it can ninja it back later on, as they will have to rebuy guards etc.
Zergs will have plenty of guards to attack if they can't draw the defenders out of the UG
Only active clans that can maintain a steady cash flow will be able to hold key outposts

Disadvantages
Raids are very difficult to achieve inside a key outpost
The increased number of models being drawn by the client inside the outpost would probably cause a drop in FPS
With the current cash reward on research missions getting cash to maintain security could be easy for a large clan with lots of researchers. To combat this, you might need to get 90 Trade Union sympathy to purchase guards, or even 90 sympathy and complete the epic (not that there is one I don't think), or perhaps even have mobs drop parts required to "build" guards.

CMaster
23-06-05, 13:45
So this would apply to other "key" OPs too?
How do we determine which ones are key?
Gravis and Jankins to some degress seem logical, as well as Jeriko, but I don't really see why most of this shouildnt be applied to all OP as part of a reform. If we still are going to have theme weeks, there should definatley be an "op war" themeweek, although I don't think its the most importnatn one.

Morganth
23-06-05, 13:49
Gravis and Jankins to some degress seem logical, as well as Jeriko, but I don't really see why most of this shouildnt be applied to all OP as part of a reform. If we still are going to have theme weeks, there should definatley be an "op war" themeweek, although I don't think its the most importnatn one.

Yes it would, and the only reason I segregated key OPs from non-key OPs was so that smaller clans had OPs they could attack. By changing every OP on the map to the above degree of complexity, all we get is what we have now, just harder to get to. Key OPs would be determined by the community I guess, because we know what is used and whats not etc (and I agree on Gravis, Jankins and Jeriko). There would only need to be a few key OPs, just spread out enough so both sides of the war get a chance to own one.

OP theme week would be great, and I've got ideas in my head on leveling areas etc, but thats for another day :p

EDIT:

Perhaps make it so a large number of guards can be placed in key OPs, and other OPs are allowed a max of say 3. The other security measures can be applied to other OPs, as they aren't that drastic in terms of small clans trying to take an OP.

BradSTL
23-06-05, 14:09
I don't see why Cycrow, or any other outpost, should be more important than any other. The fact that some TG clans have a sentimental attachment to it and would like to make it harder for the city clans to take it should not be coded into the (expletive deleted) game.

If anything, the only change I'd like to see made to that sector would make it easier to take Cycrow, albeit less important to do so. I'd like to see Canyon Reloading Point genrep made a public one, not controlled by Cycrow's security settings.

Morganth
23-06-05, 14:22
I don't see why Cycrow, or any other outpost, should be more important than any other. The fact that some TG clans have a sentimental attachment to it and would like to make it harder for the city clans to take it should not be coded into the (expletive deleted) game.

If anything, the only change I'd like to see made to that sector would make it easier to take Cycrow, albeit less important to do so. I'd like to see Canyon Reloading Point genrep made a public one, not controlled by Cycrow's security settings.

But if the pro-city clans have to required force needed to take Cycrow, they have every right to it as any other clan. By making some OPs more important than others, it allows little clans (like yours) a chance to OP fight, instead of just taking the OP when they feel like it.

I don't care about making CRP public, because either way any enemy to whoever owns Cycrow will end up dead if they hang around too long.

I can't see how my ideas make it any harder for pro-city to take Cycrow, I didn't make these ideas as a form of bias, I'd happily make changes to any other OP you name to make it a worthwhile holding for pro-city (or mercs for that reason).

Capt. Rik
23-06-05, 15:57

I'd argue that Cycrow could be considered important tactically:

For Pro-City it's a staging point for a raid on a known Dome outpost (TG Canyon)

For Anti-City it's their first line of defense against a Pro-City raid

jernau
23-06-05, 17:39
Trader Union guards would mean anyone taking the OP would have red SL before the defenders even got there.

Asatru
23-06-05, 20:14
I'd like to see Canyon Reloading Point genrep made a public one, not controlled by Cycrow's security settings.
I totaly aggree with that, make that gr a public one. good point Brad

Jesterthegreat
23-06-05, 23:02
still has HN as the end all of op warring.

along with alliances / zergs / ninja's... the fact that the whole op war ended up depending on a single guy not fataling as he goes into the zone thats got an enemy camping the zoneline is what made op wars no fun anymore.

a rework of ops may inject fun into the game, which is good. however it doesnt really change anything in the long run.

trigger hurt
24-06-05, 03:28

if (op==doyOwned)
op==key;
else
op==garbage;

Asurmen Spec Op
24-06-05, 04:07
You said only have guards at some places so everywhere isnt a fortress.
but, why would you put guards at a LAB instead of at a FORTRESS

Bozz-Von Mel
24-06-05, 04:25
The "good idea fairy" strikes again. I like the idea about the OPs, just can't show any optimisim about it changing.

LiL T
24-06-05, 11:57
They should make it part of the story line, player clans effecting the story CRP is important etc

Nullvoid
24-06-05, 12:45
Just a simple thing like moving the crp gr into the catlock bay zone(so levellers can truly go caving without op warring teams stopping in to gank them on the way to cycrow) would be nice.

CMaster
24-06-05, 12:50
Just a simple thing like moving the crp gr into the catlock bay zone(so levellers can truly go caving without op warring teams stopping in to gank them on the way to cycrow) would be nice.
I've said remove CRP and give Catlock a GR for ages, but noone listens - clans are too obsessed with "owning" CRP.

Toxen
24-06-05, 13:26
Yes but these are all suggestions in advantage of the city, when was the last time something was done in favour of the city I forgot.

Move the CRP GR to catlock bay and remove the canyon GR thats a fair trade I think.

ROZZER187
25-06-05, 16:35

gr camping anyone??? you take drt i'll take crp/ catlock
more than 1 place for lamers to farm belts

Xylaz
25-06-05, 19:17
there have been loads of such requests and basically everyone agreed to them. Moving crp gr to catlock bay is logical and functional...yet for some unknown reason nothing was ever done to it.

CMaster
25-06-05, 20:51
gr camping anyone??? you take drt i'll take crp/ catlock
more than 1 place for lamers to farm belts

Happens to any public GR. Doesnt change that it has some fundamentally valod ideas. ATM, CRP GR is th emost poinless thing ever. Its 20 seconds run from Cyc GR and controlled by the same security settings...

jernau
25-06-05, 22:59
CRP GR is th emost poinless thing ever. Nah, that's PSI Resist or Regants Legacy.

CRP GR was very handy (barring the toss-pot factor) until the GR lockdown rules came in. After that it became an annoying reminder of better days.