PDA

View Full Version : Idiots Guide to Spell Modding

Major Havoc
20-06-05, 09:34
We're currently discussing how spells should be modded on our clan forums, and it transpires there's some confusion on what the mods do i.e. does a spell need handling? Some of us think it affects the ability to run cast it whilst others say Handling affects recoil on rifles and so isn't needed on spell.

Does a Shelter/Deflector that's been modded with damage perform better that one that has merely been modded for Frequency?

Just the facts people, just the facts...

Bugs Gunny
20-06-05, 09:46
Dammage and frequency first, then handling powermod if room left.

eprodigy
20-06-05, 09:47
handling doesnt do anything on spells...

Xeno LARD
20-06-05, 09:51
Handling does nothing.
I think it had some effect but that got changed ages ago, its useless since then.
Freq / dmg all the way.
Range third. Fuck handling.

Argent
20-06-05, 12:04
Yes, handling does nothing on spells. Nothing.

;)

Absolutely nothing.

:angel:

sultana
20-06-05, 12:26
It depends on your setup a little aswell.

I usually go frequency then damage, but that's just me.

And, like people have said, handling does nothing. I believe it's only damage and range that count. Damage being how far away you can run from the point you casted the spell and frequency being how fast you cast it :rolleyes: But then again, that's just me.

Shelter and deflector soak up more damage as the damage % on the spell goes up. That's true for almost any spell, like heals heal more etc. Supposedly there's also little "caps" on spells, like Holy Shelter is said to be "pvp capped" at 450%. But eh, dunno if any of it's been proven.

Major Havoc
20-06-05, 13:18
Okay people, cheers for that, I guess I'll stop shoving the Power-Handling mod in a spell, unless it's a 5 slotter and I want the extra damage.

Nullvoid
20-06-05, 14:25
Ignoring the psi ultima, my preferred order for modding has always been:

dmg+cond > dmg+freq > freq > dmg+range > range

I too thought handling had no effect on spells, perhaps it would be nice for someone from kk to clear that up for us? My current understanding of it is:

Dmg increases the casting circle around yourself(and the effectiveness of the spell). Frequency obviously helps u get the spell casted before you breach the circle(and fizzle) and the more agil you have, the harder it is to remain in the circle(hence why most monks jiggle about on the spot).

Riddle
20-06-05, 14:32
Buffs are a no brainer.

Freq and Range all the way. Due to the fact they only add a specific point increase to skills. Cast faster, cast further!

Vae Victis
20-06-05, 14:51
It depends on your setup a little aswell.

I usually go frequency then damage, but that's just me.

And, like people have said, handling does nothing. I believe it's only damage and range that count. Damage being how far away you can run from the point you casted the spell and frequency being how fast you cast it :rolleyes: But then again, that's just me.

Shelter and deflector soak up more damage as the damage % on the spell goes up. That's true for almost any spell, like heals heal more etc. Supposedly there's also little "caps" on spells, like Holy Shelter is said to be "pvp capped" at 450%. But eh, dunno if any of it's been proven.what crunchy said
me and smurf tested this a long time ago when I was a non PA PPU and he was a non PA APU in nc1. My guess is holy shelter PvP cap is around 510ish.
450% is not enough afaik. (not in nc2 at least since the shelter has been nerfed from nc1 to nc2 (yet everyone complains about PPUs being overpowered while they are less "overpowered" than nc1))

And again same here - Frequency first, then damage.
But errr... I don't know about you guys but I'm not satisfied with a 2 slot spell.. therefor I won't have to choose between freq or damage.
if my spell is 4 slot - damage mod, freq/dmg, freq and a range/dmg.
if its 5 slot - on most spells same mods as a 4 slot + range mod.
if its a shelter - handling/dmg mod to get 120% on dmg.

and yes - handling does nothing.

Mr Kot
20-06-05, 15:28
Buffs are a no brainer.

Freq and Range all the way. Due to the fact they only add a specific point increase to skills. Cast faster, cast further!

Tell me about it.... ANYONE who mods a basic resist 2 or a Haz buff with damage, leaving shitty frequency for the non-ppu classes wants shooting.

Freaky Fryd
20-06-05, 21:54
Tell me about it.... ANYONE who mods a basic resist 2 or a Haz buff with damage, leaving shitty frequency for the non-ppu classes wants shooting.

I always get a chuckle when I hack a combat/resist 3 boost from a PPU's belt and it's modded for damage, not frequency (even more-so in NC1 when they were all store-bought quality)

For some reason, it just seems to make that much more sense that his belt is there...

-FN-
20-06-05, 22:19
Not that I have time to sit around and test this, but...

I believe Handling, like on weapons, effects how fast the item degrades in quality. For instance, a TL 3 Heal with 100 handling will wear out faster than a TL 3 Heal with 120 Handling. Everyone says more slots = slower degrading time, but I'm pretty sure that's just because more slots = more mods = higher handling if there's room for a handling mod.

Crest
21-06-05, 11:26
I always get a chuckle when I hack a combat/resist 3 boost from a PPU's belt and it's modded for damage, not frequency (even more-so in NC1 when they were all store-bought quality)

For some reason, it just seems to make that much more sense that his belt is there...
Given that these are cast very early on in the war, and are quick casts already ,,, neither gonna make too much difference...

Its a toss up between Freq and Damage, I think I always cap damage first so I mod Freq then Damage. Its the choice of - How much damage I do per cast, compared to how quick I cast the spell.....

imper1um
21-06-05, 12:36
How to do Modding, for dummies.

1. Should you mod?
The first thing that you should realize is that you don't need to mod your spells or weapons 100% of the time. 10% of the time, it's either not worth it, or not helpful. This is because of a few things:
- You cap the item. If you get cap (APU/S/D/Heal Spells - Damage & Frequency | PPU Boosters - Frequency | Guns - Damage, Frequency, Aiming), then you are all set, and no need to mod it.
- It is already maximum. Remember, you can only get 120% on the status of the spell.

2. What should you mod it with?
Spells are pretty easy. Cap Damage on spells is 576% (correct if wrong). This is value number 2, down near the middle of the Show Info menu. The Aiming on a spell is the same as the damage, but you do not really need to worry about that. Frequency, however, is a little tricky.
- Heal/S/D: 42?/min
- Para: ??30-40??/min
- APU: 111?/min
- Buffs: 42?/min
- Rez: 2/min
(sorry for the rough guesstimates, I'm not on my chars to find out caps)

If you cap damage, but not frequency, then use a Damage mod (known as Module-Enhancement). If you cap Frequency, not damage, use a pure frequency mod, although it gets even more complicated for rares.

Rares are even worse for determining was mods you should use. Usually, rares start between 100-120% on it's main stats. Also, it's worth more if you get it closer to all 120%, and some mods will be overkill to use them. Here's an example: Let's say you have a HolyPara at 105% Damage, 112% Frequency, unmodded, one slot. You cap Damage, but not frequency. Here's where putting on a pure Frequency mod is not useful, since it's 18% extra frequency, but a Damage-Frequency Mod, giving 6% Damage and 11% Frequency is much more useful in the end-game. Putting on a Damage-Frequency mod would make it 111% Damage, 120% Frequency, which means it's worth more than if you put a pure Frequency mod, at 105% Damage, 120% Frequency.

Guns are much more harder, since you have to cap Damage, Aiming and Frequency. Damage and Aiming cap is 176%/267%, respectively. I don't have the frequency caps (don't use guns all that much), so someone please post them. Also, guns are much more better with a ammo mod, so it's best to have 2+ slots if you know you can't cap it without mods. Ammo mods are discussed later, but follow the same rules for spells, just make sure that you also cap aiming.

3. What ammo mod should I use?
The actual question should be: What am I hunting? Are you using this gun for PvP, or PvM? In PvM, different monsters have different resists. Obviously, the one universal mod that works is xRay damage, except on Launcher Cyclopses, which has less resist against fire. If xRay isn't available (which is impossible) you have to remember which type of damage the mob will cause. In the chaos caves, which cause 95% Direct Poison Damage, and 5% Force Damage, obviously, using a Poison mod would be unpracticle. Fire mod would be the best, if xRay isn't available.

For PvP, it's much more different. People have different CON setups, but there are a few things that you can recognize have different resists. xRay works best against any non-Spy class, since xRay resist is not provided by their armor. Spy classes, however, have uber xRay resist (110+ xRay with their PA alone!), so it's best to use Fire mod. +Force mods are not useful unless you want to noobDeflector the person you are attacking. This is helpful if you plan on running around with a APU. APU can anti-buff and you can rebuff with a TL3 Deflector since most people rebuff Shelter first. If you get a TL3 Deflector on a target +Force mods are uber.

The one exception for Poison mods is Flame Throwers, espically the Devourer. The Dev cannot be put long enough on a player to cause enough direct damage that will help kill the player. However, a Poison Modded Dev can stack a player to the cieling pretty quickly with poison, which is lingering damage. This causes much more damage, and is best against Tanks. Monks usually use a Haz Setup, so it's a little less practicle.

Answer your questions?

CMaster
21-06-05, 12:46
A few corrections, and its a bit garbled, but your points are valid.
APU spells cap at higher damage tyhan PPU - 646% I believe. Heals cap at 52/min, S/D at 42/miun, a 3/min is apparently possible on Holy Rez (although I'm not sure)/ apu freq cap depends on the song. Also, your argument for xray doesnt hold true. Yes, if you are chaos caving and firemobbing, xray is best. However, once you ventrue outside the canyons, fire is routinley better. Mechanical mobs (IE warbots) are very, very weak to fire, and tough to xray. Muties are strong to xray too. For swamp caves and the swamps, fire is once again best.

imper1um
21-06-05, 13:01
I don't know, I use xRay in the swamp caverns and it's AOK. And I forgot about the Warbies. Yeah, Fire is the best (don't ask why), although Fire Mobs, xRay/Energy is the best. Also, in DoY tunnels, it's a toss up between Fire and Energy, since Fire causes aggrivated damage, but Energy causes more initial damage.

Vae Victis
21-06-05, 14:02
3/min on a Holy Rezz isn't possible afaik. caps is 24 seconds.
it's 648% dmg on APU spells, 576% on PPU spells.

Heals at 52/min
s/d at 42/min
holy para at 35/min
antipara at 70/min

Okran
22-06-05, 10:20
It just depends on what spell it is! For example, Booster Spells - no point in modding for damage! IMO for shields like S/D I always for for damage as primary, for heal I always go for frequency (because I want to walk/run cast it :p )

Vae Victis
22-06-05, 13:11
It just depends on what spell it is! For example, Booster Spells - no point in modding for damage! IMO for shields like S/D I always for for damage as primary, for heal I always go for frequency (because I want to walk/run cast it :p )no standing still while casting S/D is good :) heal has a higher freq cap than the s/d so why mod heal with freq :confused:
runcasting aint hard.
then again you cap dmg on a heal easy..

just use shopbought shit, then you don't have to worry about mods :lol:

sultana
23-06-05, 08:24
It just depends on what spell it is! For example, Booster Spells - no point in modding for damage!
Why not? Range is already insane on them, you don't need to mod it even higher.

Morganth
23-06-05, 10:20
For Imperium:

HL caps at 105/min, Fire Apoc at 88/min, HAB at 21/min, Rezz at 2/min.

I think TSS caps at 21/min, and Holy Heal Sanct at 11/min (however because you can fully cap it, you can run cast it)

imper1um
23-06-05, 15:18
HHS doesn't cap at 11/mn, I got 26/min on it atm.

Rabiator
23-06-05, 15:25

:lol: For buffs that give a fixed bonus (all skill and resist boosters) this is stupid indeed. Even if I get one of those with slots, I usually don't bother modding it. Now if there was a mod that reduces the skill requirements to use it at all :angel: ...

sultana
24-06-05, 11:56
For Imperium:

HL caps at 105/min, Fire Apoc at 88/min, HAB at 21/min, Rezz at 2/min.

I think TSS caps at 21/min, and Holy Heal Sanct at 11/min (however because you can fully cap it, you can run cast it)
I think you somehow mixed that up

Heal sanct caps at 30/min, and TSS at 10/min (might be 11/min, but I'm fairly sure its 10). And Fire Apoc at 87/min ;)

Dargeshaad
24-06-05, 12:11
http://neocron.ems.ru/weapon.html

beside para and rezz all ppu spells should be correct
most of apu spells are a bit fubar however since range got nerfed and AoE spells got a rof boost i believe