PDA

View Full Version : Which Planet goes PvP?

-John Silver-
18-06-05, 20:17
Everybody is talking about a PvP Server and if not talking, so at least thinking about it.

At the moment only the german community is voting for or against it, so i thought the whole community should give their vote!

Here we go ... a lot of choises, so pick the right one!

Jesterthegreat
18-06-05, 20:21
i would support either enforced transfer off the server and a wipe or an option of transfer both too and from.

that said i dont care what server it is.

hoeever making terra pvp would give the int non-PvP players no where to go. i realise its a similar situation for the germans but at least theres a second ger server for you (though it's one slot).

if it happens to terra then thats fine by me... but make merc an int server with the current rules. a int server, not an eng one or a german one. as in support is accepted in both german and english (and if poss the other countries its released in such as greek... but if no GM's speak greek then thats that).

LiL T
18-06-05, 20:28
I want my own drom, in other words I'm not bothered what gets done

Drake6k
18-06-05, 22:46
New server!! The easy vote... but if that is not possible just make terra pvp :D

eprodigy
18-06-05, 22:51
i voted mercury with char transfer, but only TO mercury not out of mercury :angel:

[TgR]KILLER
18-06-05, 22:56
No pvp server cause i just don't give a damn about it ^^

Speedball
18-06-05, 22:59
I voted Pandore...
Oh shit... no "pandore" poll option ! :lol:

Njall
18-06-05, 23:18
I voted Pandore...
Oh shit... no "pandore" poll option ! :lol:
Mercury, Terra, new server... everything except Pandore ! ;)

Tratos
18-06-05, 23:30
Mercury, Terra, new server... everything except Pandore ! ;)
Cough or mars Cough :p

imper1um
19-06-05, 00:28
Actually what I think should be done is Mercury is combined with Mars, then you make a new PvP Server. That just seems logical.

a4nic8er
19-06-05, 03:06
Another tilted Poll. There are currently 4 planets, not 2. Why did you leave the other possibilities out? Some may like to vote for the French server to be wiped. Why? Just because the french are so ... French. :lol:

I like the idea of a 1 slot PvP server. Offer to transfer the characters from Mars to (an empty slot) on Mercury then make Mars the PvP server?

International has a 4 slot server, Germany has a 4 slot server, France has a 2 slot server, and we all share a 1 slot Pure PvP server. Starting from new.

Would be very interesting, methinks.

So, I abstained as you did not give me the option to vote for my first or second preferences.

Drake6k
19-06-05, 04:06
What about a new server and let characters from all others transfer to it? kinda like ... neocron 3 =)

ArthurDent2k
19-06-05, 07:16
i would support either enforced transfer off the server and a wipe or an option of transfer both too and from.

that said i dont care what server it is.

hoeever making terra pvp would give the int non-PvP players no where to go. i realise its a similar situation for the germans but at least theres a second ger server for you (though it's one slot).

if it happens to terra then thats fine by me... but make merc an int server with the current rules. a int server, not an eng one or a german one. as in support is accepted in both german and english (and if poss the other countries its released in such as greek... but if no GM's speak greek then thats that).
Voted New Server since I'm not against PvP-Server in General though i think there are better Shooters around than good ole NC :)

And...Jester,this is the first time i can fully agree to you :) I'd have no probs with Mercury being turned into an International Server with unchanged rules...no problems when there are english and german runners around, most germans speak english, no one cries cause of oficial language...could solve a lot,including Mercs Percentage :)

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 09:36
[ edited ]

eprodigy
19-06-05, 10:07
rofl how did you caught for that, did they report you? (this on merc i assume) i bet none ever got such a warning for trying to impede your leveling...

-John Silver-
19-06-05, 10:30
Another tilted Poll. There are currently 4 planets, not 2. Why did you leave the other possibilities out? Some may like to vote for the French server to be wiped. Why? Just because the french are so ... French. :lol:

So, I abstained as you did not give me the option to vote for my first or second preferences.

The French Server cannot made to an international Server, cause thats not KK's Server and on Mars there r to much RP'ler to make it to an PvP Server. Thats why i didnt write it into the Poll :p

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 10:42
rofl how did you caught for that, did they report you? (this on merc i assume) i bet none ever got such a warning for trying to impede your leveling...

course not... even if they would i cant type "please mister GM someone is griefing me" in german so let's be honest... i cant report shit over there.

i watched them try to sue the old set kill self exploit to lose me SL... then i got their belts for it :)

last night i got a 4 slot holy multilightning bolt, a 3 slot holy nrg barrel, a 2 slot holy nrg beam, a set of holy spirit armour, apu pa 1, 3 psi gloves and various other items.

Saiboku
19-06-05, 10:51
theres a difference between loosing a serious fight and provoking ppl with an empty char to get killed and let somebody loose soullight so he will maybe drop something expensive.

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 10:54
theres a difference between loosing a serious fight and provoking ppl with an empty char to get killed and let somebody loose soullight so he will maybe drop something expensive.

i see... so punching someone is an offense then eh?

how much damage do you think my fists do? do i outdamage a ppu? a blessed hyb? even a tank?

do i even outdamage a medikit?

no.

so... given the low damage i do... why dont they just ignore me and get a little free con? or just leave?

hell i watched a ppu kill himself thinking he could lose me SL, then he gr'd before the other ppu rezzed him... almost got his pa out of his belt...

Saiboku
19-06-05, 12:00
the dmg isnt important, if u follow a person and keep punshing him then he will feel pissed off sooner or later, and u know that. this punshing thingy is for 2 things: pissing ppl off and decrease their SL so u can kill them without loosing SL and loot their belts. Simple.

btw, some ppl are trading on p1. Maybe they dont want to leave just because somebody abuse the SL system to piss ppl off ?

E. Cryton
19-06-05, 12:39
btw, some ppl are trading on p1.
not anymore.

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 13:19
the dmg isnt important, if u follow a person and keep punshing him then he will feel pissed off sooner or later, and u know that. this punshing thingy is for 2 things: pissing ppl off and decrease their SL so u can kill them without loosing SL and loot their belts. Simple.

btw, some ppl are trading on p1. Maybe they dont want to leave just because somebody abuse the SL system to piss ppl off ?

attacking people is abusing... of course.

its funny... ally killing has never been against the rules... but the wnner loses SL.

simply put, no matter what my choice of weapon, i can attack who i want.

Hellmag
19-06-05, 17:18
To answer the q about griefing. It's not what you do but WHY you do something. If you go around punching people for the sole reason to be an Asshat* then you are griefing. And from what i've read in this tread that's exactly what you've done.

*Asshat would (here) mean pissing people of enough so they attack you and loose SL and drop a belt. You being naked (ie not risking anything) only proves this.

-- Edit --

At least that's how I see it.

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 18:10
To answer the q about griefing. It's not what you do but WHY you do something. If you go around punching people for the sole reason to be an Asshat* then you are griefing. And from what i've read in this tread that's exactly what you've done.

*Asshat would (here) mean pissing people of enough so they attack you and loose SL and drop a belt. You being naked (ie not risking anything) only proves this.

-- Edit --

At least that's how I see it.

however the "why" is much harder to prove than the "what". almost impossible to prove in fact

Argent
19-06-05, 20:09
however the "why" is much harder to prove than the "what". almost impossible to prove in fact

The thing is that the "why" doesn't mean shit. Only thing matters is what you do, and what you did (it seems to me - I have only one screenshot to draw conclusions from) is a plain exploitation of the game mechanics and I'm surprised that you aren't banned yet.

Now where's the lock&edits, huh?

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 20:27
It's not what you do but WHY you do something.

The thing is that the "why" doesn't mean shit. Only thing matters is what you do

this is why it's pointless the community replying to things like this.

1. our opinion isnt what counts

2. iur opinions are just that... opinions. we dont all share them, but we can be self rightious with the whole "you should be banned for punching someone" though.

Cyphor
19-06-05, 20:42
Only thing matters is what you do, and what you did (it seems to me - I have only one screenshot to draw conclusions from) is a plain exploitation of the game mechanics and I'm surprised that you aren't banned yet.

How is punching someone exploiting the game mechanics? :wtf: To say that would mean that kk never intend us to be able to punch, but of course they did, they had to code it in. Its not an error in the code like other exploits, they gave us the power to punch people, if people want to go around doing it whats the problem?

Argent
19-06-05, 20:46
1. our opinion isnt what counts

Rules are what counts. What you seem to have done was directly against these rules.

Let's change that "banned" to "penalized", since I don't know how these things go. And if you don't want community's feedback on a subject, next time think a moment before posting such image.

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 20:50
Rules are what counts. What you seem to have done was directly against these rules.

Let's change that "banned" to "penalized", since I don't know how these things go. And if you don't want community's feedback on a subject, next time think a moment before posting such image.

feedback != you playing GM.

and please point me to the rule which says "use of the alt+h punch command is bannable".

please.

Argent
19-06-05, 20:52
How is punching someone exploiting the game mechanics?

I don't know exactly what happened, like I said, I only have that screenshot to draw conclusions from. To me it seems that there was some sort of punching happening and that resulted in someone contacting a GM for exploiting. When you punch someone, they don't call for GM.

Instead you keep punching someone and annoying the shit out of them, they shoot a bit back at you but don't kill you, and then you run to die to some guards, the shooter loses SL. Simple, huh?

Now where are all the mods.....

Argent
19-06-05, 20:59
and please point me to the rule which says "use of the alt+h punch command is bannable".

So you claim that you simply punched someone and did nothing else, and that's why a GM showed up? Right o mate.

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 21:02
I don't know exactly what happened, like I said, I only have that screenshot to draw conclusions from. To me it seems that there was some sort of punching happening and that resulted in someone contacting a GM for exploiting. When you punch someone, they don't call for GM.

Instead you keep punching someone and annoying the shit out of them, they shoot a bit back at you but don't kill you, and then you run to die to some guards, the shooter loses SL. Simple, huh?

Now where are all the mods.....

thats a might big jump in conclusions.

similar to me saying "all researchers must macro cos i find researching boring so they must do it while they sleep. please ban them all"

Argent
19-06-05, 21:06
thats a might big jump in conclusions.

It is one possible scenario of many. Like I said, I don't know what happened, and you can't prove it to me.

All I know for sure is that GM showed up saying things what he did in the screenie and that doesn't happen when you simply punch someone.

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 21:10
It is one possible scenario of many. Like I said, I don't know what happened, and you can't prove it to me.

All I know for sure is that GM showed up saying things what he did in the screenie and that doesn't happen when you simply punch someone.

you mean refusal to explain, and refusing to tell me what i'm allowed to do?

yeah... that was my fult alright :rolleyes:

whichever GM you are, as you said, i cant prove it. however theres no proof the other way either. even if their was screenshots are awful for proof. 90% of exploits wont be caught as you simply dont get a warning. to really catch exploiters you would need a vid capture thing running 100% of your game time... and even then when a char hides behind a guard, and someone hits the guard and the "hider" loses SL... who was exploiting there? the guy who hit the guard by accident or the guy who hid behind the guard?

so much of it is a grey area.

Nidhogg
19-06-05, 21:58
One warning only. Get back on topic. Jesterthegreat, if you have a problem with a GM's decision then take it up with Snowcrash. Anything else will be edited and some people are running out of edits.

N

Dirus
20-06-05, 03:33
Griefing: an act, action, or communication that is technically legal under the rules of the game (as implemented and enforced in software), but is disruptive to the game experience of others. Such activities may be prohibited by Terms of Service and are often beyond the pall of ordinary human decency and common sense.

Following someone around punching them endlessly, while knowing full well, that "if" they attack you in an attempt to get rid of you as an annoyance, it will cause them some kinda of punishment ingame in the form of soullight or faction sympathy loss, can be treated as griefing or harrassment. This rule more or less applies to player's who are in an allied faction, those who are in neutral factions are subject to slightly less strenious rules that depend largely on the situation. For those who are in hostile clans, it can still be considered griefing in extreme cases which are usually determined by an investigation into the incidence.

Now that it's been explained, If you wish to discuss this further, take the issue up with Snowcrash.

Kierz
20-06-05, 03:36
Run mercury and mars off the same system and compensate their server loads.

Riddle
20-06-05, 14:57
New server - New chars :D

Flub900
22-06-05, 01:42
i say make a new server as the PVP server...it would just be a bitch to lvl cuz tehre are no constructers and researchers and shit, but it would still be cool. KK go with the people on this one, check the poll.

Toxen
22-06-05, 02:01
Griefing: an act, action, or communication that is technically legal under the rules of the game (as implemented and enforced in software), but is disruptive to the game experience of others. Such activities may be prohibited by Terms of Service and are often beyond the pall of ordinary human decency and common sense.

Sorry i missed this one brewing must be loosing my knack. Couple of things
the set kill self 1 after getting someone to punch you to ruin their soul light, I'd consider that a flaw in the game mechanics where the systems can't decipher the difference between gettin killed and suiciding. As for punching guards to acheive the same effect that is greifing through and through but if you look at lupus's statement and follow it literally you could consider FF owning most of the map technically legal under the rules of the game but disruptive to the experience of other players and if you interpret that logically we have a game fairly full of greifers.

LTA
22-06-05, 02:36
So punching may aswell be coded out then.... wouldnt it be quicker to edit it so punching dosent harm players or somethin and does that mean no more pking? i find it very disruptive to my game being pk'd at grs etc when i am trying to level and rare farm
New server for pvp, rest should be merged into one big server

Darkana
22-06-05, 07:51
New PvP server, if at all (personally I don't believe that it will be a real PvP server :p).

To this griefing issue: I have seen it live in NC2 beta in the CC. This is a whole different thing than having one clan holding OPs on half the map (not that this would be anything new anyway) or getting killed at a GR because some players aren't yet bored enough. Yes, this is maybe annoying, too, but nothing like a low level player following you around punching you or use low TL weapons to deal damage. If you smack them back, you have lost, unless you are close to the zoneline ...

Yes, it's a loophole in the game mechanics. How do you want to fix it, though? Warn, next time they get caught: Ban. And put this on the list of not-to-do's.

Jesterthegreat
22-06-05, 09:34
So punching may aswell be coded out then....

agreed... without any discussion of the rules from me... if its not allowed to be done it shouldnt be possible. remove it if we cant use it.

Xeno LARD
22-06-05, 10:03
New server. 1 slot.

But in the end, i don't really care as long as we get a pvp server.

Darkana
22-06-05, 10:42
agreed... without any discussion of the rules from me... if its not allowed to be done it shouldnt be possible. remove it if we cant use it.Then you have to remove low TL weapons, too, because they can be used for the same cause. And so on ...

Same like removing CD/DVD writers because they can be used for copying movies/software/.. or using items to harm/kill people in RL. It's not these items which cause the harm initially (infact most of them can be used for useful things, too), it's the people who do (mis-)use these items. That's why we do have rules/laws. Crying afterwards because you got caught not following them (or "stretching the things too far") doesn't get you anywhere.

Argent
22-06-05, 11:12
if its not allowed to be done it shouldnt be possible. remove it if we cant use it.

You know, it's people who are playing this game, people with brain, people who can think. So instead of removing fun and usefull features, it is possible to simply start a rule saying "Don't fuck with this feature", and naturally, it ought to be obeyed. For some reason, this isn't the case with you, wonder why?

When you pass a car that isn't locked, do you steal it? No you don't. Why? Because of common sense, you know stealing the car is wrong, even if it is now possible. Now same thing for the annoying punching, but alas, you have seem to lost common sense somewhere along the road....

End off offtopic, sorry Nid.
--------------------------------

For the PvP server, a true fresh start on a new server is the only possibility in my opinion. It's something the community needs, new things for everyone. I Can't wait to start new tradeskilling char in the new hostile environment. :]

Toxen
22-06-05, 14:32
your talking about morals and ethics there and your comparing NC to RL. There are still people in RL that will walk past an open car and steal it if the opportunity arises. yes they're aware of the punishment, but in NC its just not as sevre, NC is a game and if people get banned they can always go find another so people don't take punishment in NC as seriously as RL.

Xeno LARD
22-06-05, 15:06
When you pass a car that isn't locked, do you steal it? No you don't.I'd do.

:lol:

Jesterthegreat
22-06-05, 20:02
Then you have to remove low TL weapons, too, because they can be used for the same cause. And so on ...

Same like removing CD/DVD writers because they can be used for copying movies/software/.. or using items to harm/kill people in RL. It's not these items which cause the harm initially (infact most of them can be used for useful things, too), it's the people who do (mis-)use these items. That's why we do have rules/laws. Crying afterwards because you got caught not following them (or "stretching the things too far") doesn't get you anywhere.

look i'm not gonna get dragged into a discussion about my opinion of the rule.

if you wanna talk about that so badly PM me.

ROZZER187
22-06-05, 21:53
soooooooooo???

is stopping new characters from lelving of mobs harrasment?? i seem to recall a certain rifle spy camping the aggies and not letting me lvl, his reason........... you are english :wtf:

my answer?? grow up you fucktard, also solved with a few chops of my melee tanks sword :D

<3 u clan b**