PDA

View Full Version : I would really love to play yer flippin game...

Spermy
18-06-05, 12:46
Seems all I do is rant recently :p

Yeah, still out in the cold - the only thing helpdesk can think of is to change teh DX mode - I'm getting nothing in my logs either so I'm stumped - I've updated drivers - I've rolled back to before the problem - i've gone to current again...

I've got a hold of the new DirectX...

I dunno - stumped...

I'm getting instead of the Login screen, just a plain black one and it just hangs there...

System :

AMD XP 2600+ (2.08 ghz)
512MB RAM
Windows XP SP1

Running

ATI radeon 9200 (COUGH COUGH COUGH!) using the newest catalyst drivers

And the new DX9... (think it's C) I only got hold of it yesterday, like I said in other threads - this comp doesn't see much use at the mo in a gaming capacity)

I'm clean of spyware etc...

Firewall is working correctly - even tried it with a disabled firewall - Zonelabs if it matters...

Anyhting else I'm missing - I know it runs - I was running it yesterday - but for some reason it's flaked out again - I have no idea as to why.

Tratos
18-06-05, 12:57
Is it just a blank screen or does it have the lines on?

:DCRAZY IDEA TIME™:D

Heres a crazy idea that might just work :p if its completely blank type in your user and password and stuff blind, im sure you can do it without having to look at the screen now since youve played alot, fumble about with the arrow keys and enter to try and get into a server and attempt to get a character to load.

At this point your thinking, this guy is a fucking idiot BUT i somtimes get a blank login screen or after i've logged in a get a blank server selection screen but if i fumble about abit i can log in successfully, lol everything comes up and i can play for how ever long i can and the game will let me.

Try it, you've tried everything else, lol

Spermy
18-06-05, 13:00
Heh - no joy - I know what the problem is though - NC is only liking the DX7 mode - but no matter what I do, or how many times I change to DX7 it reverts to dx9 as soon as the game starts up - I even kep the box open in config while I launched and watch it literally change it's settings - I've been in the .ini file and done it manually - nothing - I have nmo clue as to why it's doing this or why it's not saving my settings.

And for some reason my install is now corrupt - so i'm loathe to try a redownload and install - especially as it never worked yesterday... or the day before... or the day before that...

EDIT - WHAT THE HELL?!

now it's back to normal - erm... what the hell is going on here then? O_o Time release client?!

EDIT 2 - Guess not cos now it crashes when connecting to the server :P - and yes I'm running a free line - no DLs - Nothing.

EDIT 3 - oki... now i'm back to nothing... in teh space of 2 minutes - I'm back to where i started...

FROWN.

Tratos
18-06-05, 14:18
Big Frownage indeed 8|

I really am stumped, i think youve done everything anyone has ever thought of, lol dont suppose as an off chance your having problems with any other games/software or perhaps have another PC (Even if it would run it shit) to try and get it going on?

aKe`cj
18-06-05, 14:30
tried making the ini read-only ?

ZoVoS
18-06-05, 14:35
modifie the ini and then set it to readonly mode so it cant modifie back, dont change it to dx7 in the setup screen

dem0n
18-06-05, 14:52
dunno if it would help, but try to downgrade your drivers

woOpin
18-06-05, 15:50
Spermy

Had same problem a while ago simaler system just duel gfx cards didnt work for a while then all of a sudden its stopped hanging at boot up. I did notice however if somthing in the background process crashed or locked up without you knowing NC will only goto black screen and go no further :P

Spermy
19-06-05, 14:01
Same shit different day - same old bollocks again. Getting annoyed - I have no sodding clue whats going on ere! All I do know is my system is configured correctly :(

EDIT -

Stuff it - I can't be arsed - it's a sunny day - I'm going for a jam sesh with t'band instead. :lol:

BaDDaSS
19-06-05, 14:09
EDIT - WHAT THE HELL?!

now it's back to normal - erm... what the hell is going on here then? O_o Time release client?!

EDIT 2 - Guess not cos now it crashes when connecting to the server :P - and yes I'm running a free line - no DLs - Nothing.

EDIT 3 - oki... now i'm back to nothing... in teh space of 2 minutes - I'm back to where i started...

FROWN.

Same problems here.

Sometimes I get just the black screen,
more often the game just freezes when im "connecting to server..."

I thought it was just that I am in need of format or something.
Can't figure out wether it's buggy Windows XP SP2 or buggy NC2.

Jesterthegreat
19-06-05, 14:17
its not everyoners computers melting is it? :p

aKe`cj
19-06-05, 15:39
concerning the blackscreen right after the intro, reinstall nc BUT dont use yer old patchfiles, get fresh ones off the server. This solved the exact same problem for me a while back - using the 'old' patchfiles lead to a borked reinstall -> same prob. Sounds funny I know - worked for me at that time (making sure you dont have the latest gfx-card drivers too - they can cause quite some probs on older models).

/E:

more often the game just freezes when im "connecting to server..."

might be an issue with your mouse-driver - try not to use the mouse to select the server/char, use space, arrowkeys and TAB instead. I'd also pay attention to the firewall - see if the error occures with the FW switched off.

Scanner Darkly
20-06-05, 13:32
Have you tried looking in Task Manager and closing any and all processes that you can get away with? Especially stuff that probably shouldnt be running anyway. This helped me when I was having NC2 trouble.

Also did you not burn an NC2 DVD/CD2 when you first got it? Silly boy! :p

Spermy
20-06-05, 14:03
Have you tried looking in Task Manager and closing any and all processes that you can get away with? Especially stuff that probably shouldnt be running anyway. This helped me when I was having NC2 trouble.

Also did you not burn an NC2 DVD/CD2 when you first got it? Silly boy! :p

Task manager is not an issue...

Like I said - I'm used to NC errors :P

But this time I've done everything! It's incredibly annoying - It seems that the fix is always different each time I have this problem. Even helpdesk are stumped.

Nidhogg
20-06-05, 14:28
A freeze like that used to happen for people with lots of system tray applications loaded.

N

Spermy
20-06-05, 14:47
A freeze like that used to happen for people with lots of system tray applications loaded.

N

Been there done that. I really have NO clue what's going on.

Defragged - rinsed my PC inside and out. A lot of the time teh fix is often to do with the graphics card options... I never had this problem until the last couple of patches... Did anything changed graphicswise in those?

Helpdesk came up with some issues surrounding NVidia cards, but the email didn't have any help for ATI, and I quote

"Of course, if you have an ATI card, ignore all this. Unfortunately, you'll be
on your own if you do."

Frownage, but yeah - aqnnoying as hell - I really don't want to give up on t as i've just paid out for a month. :lol:

Tratos
20-06-05, 16:05
People have had trouble with the system clock on the task bar refreshing see if hiding the task bar and playing does anything.

Spermy
20-06-05, 16:29
People have had trouble with the system clock on the task bar refreshing see if hiding the task bar and playing does anything.

Oooh - there's a thought - I've had that before.

Spermy
20-06-05, 20:26
1 hour later... :p

it seems to be working again - and I've changed NOTHING! hehe...

Anyhoo - loving all the new content - it's ace when i can get on to enjoy it... I still haven't figured out whats up - so expect another post when it buggers up again :p