PDA

View Full Version : A Strange File Error NEW ONE! PLEASE HELP

hybok
14-06-05, 15:02
Morning!

I have lived with this for a while hoping it would just go away in time. Don't flame please its surprising how well that method works. Example install nero burning rom.. doesnt detect dvd wrtier... reset... still doesnt detect dvd writer... reset again.. detects dvd writer.. I have all but given up trying to discover the logic behind computers.. so I shall let someone else do it.

My PROBLEM!!??

Every "ONCE IN A WHILE!" yes this is random.. I can run the client fine like 5 times in a row with restarts and then it doesnt work. Or I run it twice and it doesnt work. My problem I think is best described with screenshots so here you go. So I run the game from neolauncher and it displays the first screenshot. So I check the files and it displays the second screenshot. Then I download the files and the game works fine. Until it does it again. I'm very surprised if anyone has had this error before.. Because I HAVE searched through the forums for about 2 hours trying to find a solution and no luck. And yes.. I download the files again when i have performed the file check.. And it works FINE! then a couple of runs later and its back to not working.. Please see some solution that i have overlooked because this buffles me! Thank you for your time! now for the screenies.. If I can actually add them of course :). If for some reason they dont show I have uploaded them to my webspace and can be viewed here.

http://hybok.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/file_error1.jpg
http://hybok.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/file_error1.jpg
http://hybok.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/file_error2.jpg
http://hybok.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/file_error2.jpg

Heavyporker
14-06-05, 17:53
Hmm... odd...

So filechecker runs through and downloads everything?

Maybe there's something that keeps THAT file.

Only thing I can recommend is re-installing NC. (Don't forget to copy the patches into another folder in different directory. And don't forget to save your beloved screenshots elsewhere)

hybok
14-06-05, 19:58
Yeah I have tried reinstalling mate.. I have also tried installing it on a completly different hard drive.. IF! it was actually my beloved hard drive. And my beloved screenshots are on my ftp like I said :) So any more constructive advice? I love neocron but they do make it a little difficult to play sometimes :) good jobs us devotee's will do anything to try and get the damn thing working! I cant be the only one suffering this problem.. someone else speak out!!

more info!!!

I have windows xp sp2 if thats any help. Yeah I kno its a bad system.. I run linux too.. however nc isnt compatible with it is it :P oh and also as for SP2 its a nessecity for xp.. I dont think u can install nc without having it. OH and if it is the fault of my computer.. WHERE EVERYOTHER GAME HAS WORKED! I have run a mem test. and a hard drive test. so. thats another question asked.. I wouldnt find if someone would give me a quicker way to update it everytime it fails.. at the moment it takes me about an hour to get it working again. And yes i have tired taking the files involved and copying them back into the correct places.. it still thinks there either missing or corrupt.. quite amusing a progam telling you something is missing and it being there. Oh I love bugs there so amusing :)

Heavyporker
14-06-05, 20:59
Hm. send email direct to helpdesk@neocron.com.

I can't for the life of me figure out what could be wrong with your system. I had a really bad time with blue screens... for the longest time, I thought it was Neocron causing them, but I get bluescreens just websurfing and playing other games, so I'm thinking it's my radeon ati card.

capt-o
14-06-05, 21:07
I've had this thing before. For some reason the error log doesn't get rewritten or something after you download the new file.

Go into the logs or patch folder and find the file that talks about this thing and move the file, don't delete it in case it's not the right one. (i think it's a txt or ini file)

If it is the correct file the file checker will say everything is good.

Heavyporker
14-06-05, 21:39
oh, yeah! That helped me when filechecker got fugged up.

lemme look for it....

edit - erm, not there, but it's error.log for one of them. Another file to check would be patchlog. DON'T delete them.

But basically, look at the log and ini folders - set it to be organized by date modified/created - THEN run filecheck. After filecheck finishes searching your files (and finds something wrong), look for what's new in these folders, Guaranteed that it's THAT file.

CMaster
14-06-05, 21:43
Wouldnt be so bad if the area described by Phoenox.dat was actually in game, i guess...

Heavyporker
14-06-05, 21:46
Oh, I'm sure it's ingame. Simply not accessible.

hybok
14-06-05, 23:58
Ok I have moved all the logs into another location.. and neocron has launched.. I dont think that is the problem tho.. as logs are onl accessed by neo launcher.exe.. and if u just launch the client.exe u still get the error message.. but! i will give it time and see if it still works in the morning.. thanx if it works! :)
anymore ideas would be good tho.. because im doubtful.

cMz
15-06-05, 10:31
Try looking for a file called "Files to fix" (or something) in the patches folder. If it is there it should be the only file not ending in .pat.

This file tells Neocron that it should download files. You can delete it if you find it and try starting Neocron again.
If there really is files that needs fixing, you will have a problem though if you dont download them again.

Running a check will generate the file (files to fix.txt) again, so it would be safe to try to delete it.

hybok
15-06-05, 12:34
okej.. file seems to have nothing init.. but I deleted it anyway :D So far neocron still works.. So I'm hoping it will continue too.

Thanx for everyones help.

hybok
17-06-05, 14:52
And IT IS BACK!! MUHAHAHHA

I Will try doing stuff i did before.. But it seems that the patch made it come back? Can a representative give me some advice on this please.

Nidhogg
17-06-05, 15:01
The forums aren't an official support route so please send an email to helpdesk@neocron.com. We try to help where we can but you need to go through the correct channels.

N

hybok
20-06-05, 15:56
Message Sent :rolleyes: :rolleyes: