PDA

View Full Version : What Type Of Mouse Is Best For This Game?

TOASTIE
01-06-05, 08:38
I have been on the WOW forums and seen discution on how a mouse and keyboard can dramatically enhance your game play.

I think this is bull shit, but then again their seems to be some serious talk about people spending over a hundred dollars on a mouse just because it's lighter and has more buttons.

I seen someone claim they spent over 100.00 on a custom build mouse for the game he playes.

Sure I understand a mouse can make a difference if it's optical or has that old style ball at the bottom, but cmon now :lol:

I thought i would bring it to this forum too.

Are their any die hard gamers with their own specilized mouse and keyboard dedicated to enhance their play / pvp skills ? :p

Jesterthegreat
01-06-05, 08:55
http://www.razerzone.com/

Optical engine powered by Razer PrecisionTM

1600 DPI, TWICE THAT of conventional high performance sensors

Ultra large non-slip mouse buttons, tactile response design

Award winning Razer drivers featuring On-the-Fly sensitivityTM adjustment

Frame rate over 6400 frames per second (5.8 megapixels per second)

16 bit data path, as compared to 8 bit and 12 bit data paths
used by other conventional mice

Always On Mode – the optical sensor never powers down -
provides instantaneous response at all times during gameplay

High speed motion detection, up to 40ips and 15g

Buttons – 7 physical buttons optimized for gaming response and
independently programmable

Non-slip side rails and new ergonomic ambidextrous design

Zero acoustic Teflon feet for smooth motion over any surface

Gold plated USB connector for maximum conductivity

Size: 5.04" length x 2.5" width x 1.54" height

7 foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord

Chameleon Green and Magma (red) translucent chassis options available

Comes with custom designed Razer DiamondbackTM Lan-Pack for storage and transport.

:edit: Products => DiamondBack

TOASTIE
01-06-05, 08:59
Damn i would never want to be in pvp with YOU.. You proven your self to be one serious hard core neo playa ! :p

Dargeshaad
01-06-05, 09:01
The new Logitech MX 518 is pretty sweet, it got 1600 dpi as well and the design of the good old MX 510

TOASTIE
01-06-05, 09:17
I do not know a lot about mouses, but now reading up on it now i know what i suck shit in pvp on my computer, but on my friends computer i'm so much better. It's not his system but his mouse. He has a Razer Boomslang 2000 which is rare.

I was able to track one down on the internet and just bought a Razer Boomslang 2000 as well. It was an expencive bitch, but it sure looks sweet and handles nicely. ;)

netster
01-06-05, 09:35
i prefer the MS IntelliExplorer5.0 on every XP Workstation for gaming.
Except not the XP-64 Workstations, i prefer the MS IntelliMouse Optical, because there is no 64bit-version of MS Mousedrivers for tuning the mousewheel :/ (well sometimes it works just fine, suddenly the mousewheel is slower and i need like 1,2-1,5 turns just to move to another QB-slot).

Keyboards : i love older clicking keyboards, but dont own a single one ;D i're using a DELL delivered USB Keyboards from a GX280, it got very very smooth keys and its a lit smaller than my other keyboards. except this dell, i got some IBM Bussiness Keyboards, which are also very smooth to use and a Medion PC-deliverd Keyboard, about 4 years old, but very smooth and well builded.

Dargeshaad
01-06-05, 10:01
If you want to test your mouse/reflex skills then try this site http://www.missionred.com/index.php?

edit
my best in reflex 3 was 429000 see if you can beat that :p

Bugs Gunny
01-06-05, 10:06
I use the cheapo logitech optical non-wireless mouse you get when you walk into the store and say "Give me a mouse".

Original monk
01-06-05, 10:09
I use the cheapo logitech optical non-wireless mouse you get when you walk into the store and say "Give me a mouse".

yeah i also have em on 2 pc's :) there great ! and for that price !

i use the ultraX mouse on my mainPC tough ... it matches my keyboard lol :)

(tough that fancy diamondmouse looks nice yeah, i should try it once)

numb
01-06-05, 10:19
I spent £50 on my intellimouse explorer when they came out a few years ago. I used to play on Action quake 2, mainly using a sniper rifle and the difference was tremendous. It was also nice to have a few more buttons on the mouse to assign to various in game things.

I just use the standard cheap intellimouse optical at the moment, I'm not sure if the sample rate is lower, havent really noticed anything wrong with it - although I dont really play any online games that require high speed and highly accurate mouse movements these days (at least not 'seriously').

edit: I'd never go back to using a ball type mouse though. They are too prone to failure and it's not good when a bit of dirt decides to get stuck on the rollers mid game.

Xephonas
01-06-05, 10:57
Am i the only one who thinks a discussion on a mouse is nerdy?

I suppose it's like if you want to go running, you need good shoes if you wanna do well.

But i've been fine with this thing on my right hand-side, it's a logitech something or other and has a red light coming out the bottom and it probably cost 10 pounds.

Bugs Gunny
01-06-05, 11:05
That's the one. It's realy realy good.

I used to have a serial ball mouse in nc1. aiming sucked and i had to "degunk" it all the time.
Then i went wireless optical... Which sucked due to the lag when you first move it and it was lightweight, so i'd lift it during fights, and be staring at the air....
The cheapo logitech optical is an awesome mouse with good tracking.

naimex
01-06-05, 11:08
Ever since the MX518 came out I´ve been laughing my ass off.

cuz on all the commercials they say that the MX1000 laser thing is 20 times more precise than an optical mouse..

but the MX1000 only has 800 dpi compared to the 1600 of an MX518.

I just find it so hilarious.

Dargeshaad
01-06-05, 11:37
Ever since the MX518 came out I´ve been laughing my ass off.

cuz on all the commercials they say that the MX1000 laser thing is 20 times more precise than an optical mouse..

but the MX1000 only has 800 dpi compared to the 1600 of an MX518.

I just find it so hilarious.
look on the bright side, you get good exercise from moving that brick (mx1000) around ;)

TOASTIE
01-06-05, 16:22
I saw this mouse with five buttons for the front part. You know how usally you have a right and left click? Well this one you can use all 5 of your fingers. Now THAT's what i call a mouse :)

Oh by the way that mouse has a hand strap too and it's wireless.

[TgR]KILLER
01-06-05, 16:26
get the MX 518 its the best mouse!!! Vo0 uses it to and he's the best PK player in the world!!!1111

i got the mx500 tho had it for years <3 it. never skips or does anything tricky.

CMaster
01-06-05, 16:28
Love my MX700. That is all.

Zeninja
01-06-05, 17:30
I think the most important is not a mouse but how you use it. I noticed better results (for example) when my elbow is at the contact of my desk, at the same position.

The more I have to change my body's position, the more reflexes I would have to "relearn" each time a game move (eg : aiming, straffe, changing weapon) is different from the way I used to play. I'm talking about a specific way of "using our memory".

My "body's parameters" of choice are : elbow angle and position on desk, angle between arms and desk, distance from desk borders to keyboard and mouse, chair's elevation, screen position.

Ok that's the theory... now in 90% time you got beers, cigarettes, magazines, books, phone, bottles, pizzas, pets, drugs etc on your desk, but I'm trying my best to fit requirements. So I do recommend : find a mouse then keep using it in the same position for a long time.

Sry for english, I don't know if that's clear.

Capt. Rik
01-06-05, 17:36
http://www.razerzone.com/

:edit: Products => DiamondBack

Damn shame they don't ship to the UK. I looked at that one before. Is it possible to get it anywhere here?

Xephonas
01-06-05, 17:42
I think the most important is not a mouse but how you use it. I noticed better results (for example) when my elbow is at the contact of my desk, at the same position.

The more I have to change my body's position, the more reflexes I would have to "relearn" each time a game move (eg : aiming, straffe, changing weapon) is different from the way I used to play. I'm talking about a specific way of "using our memory".

My "body's parameters" of choice are : elbow angle and position on desk, angle between arms and desk, distance from desk borders to keyboard and mouse, chair's elevation, screen position.

Ok that's the theory... now in 90% time you got beers, cigarettes, magazines, books, phone, bottles, pizzas, pets, drugs etc on your desk, but I'm trying my best to fit requirements. So I do recommend : find a mouse then keep using it in the same position for a long time.

Sry for english, I don't know if that's clear.

I dont really mind, but i just rest my elbow on my chair arm and my other arm on the other arm (?) I don't really go for the whole "well if im 2.32cm off my usually chair posistion, i will have to adjust my index and ring finger 4.64cm to the left, hmm, but if i reposition my elbow so.. rrrr.no.

Whatevers comfortable. (ow, and i think i'm getting a mega-pika quad type 12 buttoned TX-568452 with extra infared flare for xmas!!!!!11)

Dribble Joy
01-06-05, 17:53
Frankly I don't see the point in any of this. I used a budget 4 year old compaq mouse till it died a couple of months ago and managed to do OK.

Now I use a £10 optical from GAME, no problems yet...

landofcake
01-06-05, 17:54
Damn i would never want to be in pvp with YOU.. You proven your self to be one serious hard core neo playa ! :p

In real life he's actually gay ... and owns a small dog.

james_finn
01-06-05, 17:57
Damn shame they don't ship to the UK. I looked at that one before. Is it possible to get it anywhere here?
If you go to shipping they say there is a European store :) Im just waiting on my Diamondback Plasma edition to arrive, come on postie...... And yes I would say that razor are excellent, some really good customer services Ive had a boomer 2000 speed (not so good coz of the ball) and I also use the eXact mat! Its great!

But... I do play CSS competively so :rolleyes:

Delphi

GIJ0e
01-06-05, 18:04
If you go to shipping they say there is a European store :) Im just waiting on my Diamondback Plasma edition to arrive, come on postie...... And yes I would say that razor are excellent, some really good customer services Ive had a boomer 2000 speed (not so good coz of the ball) and I also use the eXact mat! Its great!

But... I do play CSS competively so :rolleyes:

Delphi

yeah and you suck at it

.Bobby Leetshots

;P

Infinite
01-06-05, 18:34
Logitech MX510 :s - love it

Had a MS explorer 4.0 but the main button is fucked (on 2nd pc)

nobby
01-06-05, 19:20
If you want to test your mouse/reflex skills then try this site http://www.missionred.com/index.php?

edit
my best in reflex 3 was 429000 see if you can beat that :p

91550 :(

Jesterthegreat
01-06-05, 19:46
Frankly I don't see the point in any of this. I used a budget 4 year old compaq mouse till it died a couple of months ago and managed to do OK.

Now I use a £10 optical from GAME, no problems yet...

exactly what i thought...

til i got that mouse...

and i googles "diamondback UK" or something to find somewhere that shipped here ;)

Zeninja
01-06-05, 19:52
Whatevers comfortable.
I mean, wherever u put your elbow (desk, chair, in the air whatever), find the ideal position, throw away that 2 buttons-with-no-wheel Compaq mouse, buy one that best suit your hand's shape (there must be some kind of sensual relationship between your mouse and your hand), then you will see that your whole movements are smoother, more precise and going faster to what you're aiming at screen.

I wish someone sells a mouse where you're able to put your whole arm and adjust a belt (or something) depending on its length and shape. Anyone heard about something like that ?

Btw, I used to try playing with that thing as complement/replacement for keyboard :

http://img.nextag.com/imagefiles/big/000/000/358/894/35889423.jpg

:lol:

which also emulates mouse wheel ; but I stopped using it for the moment with any game or software cause of boring settings.

Doc Holliday
02-06-05, 00:15
The new Logitech MX 518 is pretty sweet, it got 1600 dpi as well and the design of the good old MX 510

and it handles like a dream and well worth it for 40 quid although i believe the price probably dropped now.

trust me when i say a mouse will help your game tremendously when you get used to it. i have for playing fps games and i now own :P

Tratos
02-06-05, 00:40
MX1000 i dont care what you say i love this mouse.

MX1000 > *

TOASTIE
02-06-05, 01:22

yes.. on ebay like i did.. ;)

imper1um
02-06-05, 01:47
No cords > all.

Nullvoid
02-06-05, 03:09
The best mouse is one that doesn't tire your hand out, has accurate cursor movement and has as many buttons as you like using. In my case that is the logitech mx1000. Most people talk of it being the size of a brick, and about as agile as one too, but its perfection for me. Why not find out what works best for you? Using the same mouse as "insert pro FPS player here" isn't magically going to give you godlike aim is it...(although it IS guaranteed to hurt your wallet).

TOASTIE
02-06-05, 04:38
Well today i went out to Best Buy and went to the mouse rack. I took the demo ones and attached it to their computer and tested out all 31 of their types. The best one I found was the optical logitec which had buttons on the top as well as the side. I could use the ones on the side to go to my primary and secondary weapon. The middle button can be linked to the volume for my winamp and the left and right will be fire and reload.

The one thing that i did not like about it is that it was heavy for a mouse which caused more traction on the mouse pad.

I don't like the feeling of having to put a little force to move it and get that traction.

The one i bought is one of the lightest mouses out their and has a 2000-dpi.

I'm looking forward to this... :p :cool: :angel:

Mr Friendly
03-06-05, 03:30
ah yes the Razer mouses, smoothest thing ive ever used (my friend's) currnetly mine's starting to wear out after 3 years >_< need a new one myself